Over the course of the afternoon we have watched as San Bernardino was turned into a war zone thanks to three armed attackers who opened fire on a government agency’s Christmas banquet. Speculation about what happened has been rampant, but two trusted sources in news reporting are indicating that the impetus for this attack was a workplace dispute by one of the employees of the agency holding that banquet.
From the LA Times:
A dispute at a holiday gathering may have sparked a mass shooting in San Bernardino that left 14 people dead and 17 others wounded on Wednesday morning, federal law enforcement officials said.
As many as three assailants, who carried long guns and wore masks, opened fire on a gathering of San Bernardino county employees around 11 a.m., sources and a witness told the Los Angeles Times.
A senior federal official who is monitoring the case said investigators believe one of the shooters left the party after getting into an argument and returned with one or two armed companions.
Investigators believe there were three gunmen and one of them had worked at the facility and recently had a dispute with fellow employees, according to law enforcement officials.
A witness has told police that although the gunmen had their faces covered, one of them sounded and appeared very similar to an employee who had left the facility earlier in the day.
“They had their appearances covered but a witness believed it had been someone who worked there,” said one official.
The story is still developing.
California is a state with some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, with laws banning “high capacity” magazines as well as an assault weapons ban.