CMP: Quit Asking Us About the 1911s!

M1911A1 (courtesy gunauction.com)

A few days ago President Obama signed legislation enabling thousands of 1911 handguns to be transferred from the U.S. Government stores into the CMP’s possession for sale to the general public. Naturally this caused something of a stir within American firearms collector community, and people have been loading up their wheelbarrows of cash ever since. There’s just one problem: the phrases “enable” and “may” are not exactly immediate directives, and not even the CMP knows when the blessed event will happen. In fact, they have sent out a pretty curt email to that effect . . .

From the CMP:

The NDAA 2016 has passed. We have no further information concerning the status of the 1911s. We will update our customers as we know more. Please do not email or call with questions regarding the 1911s. Our systems are overloaded.

If you would like to sign up for our Sales Email Updates, please visit our website and SIGN UP!

For eligibility requirements for ordering through the CMP, please visit our website

To sum up, “We don’t know anything, so stop asking us.”

We’re in a holding pattern until the wheels behind the scenes start turning. Stay tuned and we’ll give you more information as it becomes available. And for Pete’s sake give the guys at the CMP a break.

comments

1. avatar CJ Minnesota says:

Excellent, I hope that my spam filter doesn’t get too smart in the next two years when the e-mail about the 1911 availability comes from the CMP!

1. The pilot program is only authorized for one year.

2. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I’ve held the original 1911 stamped with year 1911. It was like the Millennium Falcon, the ugliest hunk of junk in the galaxy but beautiful in every way. Collectors will cringe but he sent it off to be refinished. Imagine the possibilities with these, Wilson Combat will have to increase production.

1. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

My martial arts instructor, and good friend, inherited a low 4 digit serial number 1911 as a kid. When he became a teenager he snuck it out and shot the blueing off the barrel and one day sold it. The look in his eye when he tells the story is heartbreaking.

3. avatar MichaelD says:

Well, when they DO become available the CMP is only a pleasant 1 1/2 hr drive from me. Looking forward to picking a sweet one out. WOOHOO!!

4. avatar neiowa says:

Will happen the same week that the cargo ship with all the Korean Army M1s for CMP docks in Komifornia

5. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

I’ve never been able to figure out how the CMP works. It’s not just a store, right?

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

You have to be a member of a qualifying club. Either a shooting club or collectors, ie Garand Collectors. Details on their website.

CMP is a corporation chartered by an act of Congress to promote civilian firearms accuracy and safety. It replaced the DCM, which was a federal organization formed to teach civilians how to shoot bolt action military rifles so they would be better soldiers.

6. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I am not a 1911 fan, but I would happily purchase a legit 1911 like these; it’s a part of history.

7. avatar Julio says:

Soooo…when will they be available? I’m asking nicely. Pretty please with sugar on top?

1. “when will they be available?”

When the Secretary of the Army decides to transfer them to the CMP
      but first the CMP has to get an FFL
      Then only 10,000 per year can be transferred
      And all the transfers have to happen by (about) thanksgiving 2016

So, what do you think the chances are of seeing them in the next year?

1. avatar 16V says:

Soooo…when will they be available? “

The succinct answers are, “When active volcanoes freeze over…” or “In your dreams…”

8. avatar Friedrich says:

I guess I should stop calling then.

As long as the Dims control the White House, I do not believe we will see actual M1911s sold by the CMP.

10. I am glad you guys are the only ones who have read sec 1087 of the NDAA and know the difference between “shall” and “will”. There are so many conditions that come with this section that I doubt we’ll see any 1911s transferred in the next year (the only period the transfers are authorized).

This nugget in the NDAA is wicked.

(4) REPORTS TO CONGRESS.—

(A) INTERIM REPORT.—Not later than 90 days after the Secretary initiates the pilot program under this subsection, the Secretary shall submit to Congress an interim report on the pilot program.

(B) FINAL REPORT.—Not later than 15 days after the Secretary completes the pilot program under this subsection, the Secretary shall submit to Congress a final report on the pilot program.

(C) CONTENTS OF REPORT.—Each report required by this subsection shall include, for the period covered by the report—

(i) the number of firearms described in subsection (a)(2) transferred under the pilot program; and

(ii) information on any crimes committed using firearms transferred under the pilot program.

So somehow the Secretary of the Army is supposed to track or trace firearms crime data and report if a CMP gun was used in a crime?

1. avatar 16V says:

Very true, it’s nothing but smoke and mirrors. Anyone who believes this will actually cause sales of 1911s through CMP is not in touch with reality.

11. avatar SoloDallas says:

I’m one of the ones that clogged their systems 😀

12. avatar Ted says:

The wife has already approved this purchase….

I hope I can get one.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

I hope her approval doesn’t have an expiration date or price cap. I think we’re in for a long wait before anyone sees any of these (if ever), and my money is on the pistols being auctioned, not sold at a fixed price. The CMP knows what the level of demand is (very high) and what the supply is (capped at 10,000 pistols max). Auctioning them off maximizes their revenue, just as with the M1 carbines they sell.

13. avatar Matt in Idaho says:

Sorry, sorry, my bad.

14. avatar Jay in Florida says:

At least I got the email.
    Getting a gun, near zero.
    But Im on the mailing lists.

15. avatar thx855 says:

Uppity CMP. If I knew wit was going to be like this, I would have bought my own damned 1911!

16. avatar Fuque says:

Cops get first dibs, and the rest,( 90K ) go public in lots of 10k pr yr…