2015 TTAG Readers’ Choice for Best New Handgun: GLOCK 43

050415_D7C_7450a

OK seriously, who didn’t see this one coming? Ever since it was released, the GLOCK 43 has been at the top of the charts. Dan’s review of the gun is the #1 most read gun review of the year. And even I, the GLOCK-hating monster that I am, have started carrying one. Given the reception that the gun has had over this past year it’s no surprise that the GLOCK 43 has won our readers over and, as a result, GLOCK will be getting the TTAG Readers’ Choice Award for Best New Handgun of 2015. It was a close race — the CZ Scorpion was on its tail to the end, but the tiny Plastic Fantastic won. Stay tuned this week to find out who else will be going home with one of TTAG’s coveted major awards.

comments

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Nothing against the G43 or Glocks in general (I have a couple), but I think this proves there wasn’t much to choose from as far as new handguns in 2015.

1. avatar Kevin says:

So true!
      Everyone else made a single stack 9 for us years ago.

1. avatar Bruce says:

But that’s exactly the point. Glock is not everyone else…

2. avatar Mk10108 says:

Curvy Ruger LC9 7+1. There fixed the round count for ya.

3. avatar Vitsaus says:

This gun was SUCH a game changer. Nothing like it has ever been released before. Ever.

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

Nevah been done befoah!

2. avatar Don from CT says:

Actually, there has been a lot exactly like it. The difference was Glock’s execution of the concept. The XDs, Kahr P9,CW9, S&W Shield.

The concept of the G43 is nothing new. But it was good enough for me to sell what was the best slim line Nine, the Kahr P9. For me the other benefit is that I shoot a G34 competitively. So learning to work the Glock trigger on the 34 directly translates to the 43. The Kahr pretty much requires you to let it out all the way, like a revolver to shoot.

The only real problem with the 43 is the connector. Most Glock’s measure about 7 lbs on a Lyman digital trigger gauge, from the middle of the trigger bow. They are fine. The 42 and 43 typically measure closer to 10 lbs. Most Glocks can be reduced to about 6 lbs with the addition of the Glock brand 4.5 lb connector. So you can have a gun with a reasonable, but good defensive trigger that is all glock. The only way to easily improve the 43 is with the Ghost brand connector. That gets it down to about 7 lbs, but removes the stacking at the end. The gun is much much MUCHG more shootable. But its no longer all Glock. I’m not sure that is a bad thing.. But I’d prefer to keep my defensive Glocks all Glock

1. avatar Hannibal says:

I hope you shoot better than detect sarcasm!

2. avatar Thomas says:

The joke

Your head

1. avatar 80 D says:

I see what you did there

4. avatar lasttoknow says:

The last one in the pool, and it gets an award? nothing about it is superior to the pocket pistols that existed already. An “also ran” gets a prize? Talk about politically correct; participation trophy.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

The TTAG armed intelligencia have spoken, apparently.

I feel your pain. It’s nothing but a downsized version of the 1980’s design that exists in every Glock. Nothing innovative, nothing ground-breaking.

But judging by its popularity, it fills a void. It’s a 9mm pocket pistol, and it’s a Glock. Fact is, I darn near bought one. I still might someday. I like Glock’s simplicity and reliability, and the vast array of aftermarket customizations like magazine extensions and sights available.

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

Freedom of choice, and an array of choices is always great. This gun is not a winner, but an also-ran. Not worthy of accolades, prizes. Once the Curve hit the market, we were pretty much done with innovation amongst pocket pistols.

2. avatar Don from CT says:

It is the last. Its also the best. I’ve owned them all. The G43 is the best of the lot. (Kahr P9, Kahr PM9, Shield, XDs.) The shield has a horrible trigger that is not inexpensively remedied and they are chubby. The XDs is very heavy for what it is. The Kahr twins were the best of the lot, but required a pretty extended break in and the trigger while smooth, is not conducive to fast shooting.

1. avatar lasttoknow says:

Just like all the others; best according to someone.

5. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I really cannot get excited about the G43. It’s just a little too small for my liking. The Shield is really just about the right size.

If Glock made a Shield size gun and S&W made a G19 size gun, decisions would get really tough on my go-to carry options.

1. avatar Mike says:

Exactly. I happen to fall on the M&P side of the argument, having a full size M&P and a Shield, however, I caved and got a G19 because it was the just right sized EDC for heavy clothes weather. If S&W would pull their heads from their rears, they would see fit to scale the compact version up to a G19 sized pistol and make a sub compact double stack to compete with the G26. I would gladly sell the G19 to go to an M&P of similar dimension/capacity. Meanwhile I think Glock really missed the boat by not going with the capacity of the Shield for a single stack. I’m able to comfortably carry my Shield in 90% of my pants pockets with the extended mag, there’s no reason the G43 shouldn’t have the base capacity of it’s competition without buying aftermarket bits.

2. avatar Don from CT says:

You raise a good point. I find the G43 to be just right sized. And I find the Shield to be pudgy. But size and feel is very subjective.

Re a G19 sized M&P, that’s called the M&P Compact with an extended mag plate.

Don

1. avatar Mike says:

The M&P compact with an extended plate- no thanks, the reason I didn’t go with the M&P C over the G19 is because for a double stack, I really don’t like not having all my digits on the actual grip, the extended grips work ok but end up making it the size of a full size M&P and can get caught up on the bottom of the hand when dropping the mag/get in the way when changing mags. For the Shield it’s acceptable because sometimes I need the shorter mag to pocket carry, The G19 gives me a full grip but conceals better than a full size, M&Ps don’t have that option yet, hopefully one day they will.

2. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

No extended mag. I want an actual G19 size gun from S&W or I’ll just stick with G19.

6. avatar Rokurota says:

Wasn’t the SIG Legion in the running?

7. avatar ActionPhysicalMan says:

I forgot to vote. Can we start over? I’ll probably vote for the Cabot;-)

8. avatar Reef Blastbody says:

Meh. A “me too” pocket 9MM. I’d pick the TP9V2 over this for new handgun of the year.

9. avatar Ernest says:

XD mod2: prettier, tighter specs, more features. Many are leaving glock for this superior brand. XDS & XDM also awesome alternatives. http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd-mod-2-series/

1. avatar David says:

That XD Mod 2 is a hell of a gun.

2. avatar Tim says:

I’ve never heard of a bad guy that was shot or shot at say he was shot with a pretty gun. I’ll choose reliability over looks any day . This is where all Glocks far surpass all the others. For a personel self defense pocket 9mm that needs to be easy to conceal, the G43 is by far the best on the market .

10. avatar arsh says:

Of course TTAG would support a gun with essentially zero safety so they can keep posting negligent discharge articles.

1. avatar Vendetta says:

What in the sam hell? No safety? Thanks for the Glock buzzword post. I hate Glocks. Ask all my friends. Always have always will. You know what I have recently bought, shot heavily and begun carrying? A Glock 43. You shoulda seen the looks at the range from those who know me. But you know what? After a Ghost Edge connector this little thing is just plain excellent. Ive run it dead dry, in the rain, etc and it just keeps chugging putting round after boring round in the 10 ring from 3,5,7,10 yds. Ive had an XDS, a PF9, and fondled and shot all manner of letters including PPS Shield XD mod2, etc etc. I still chose this one and like it best. My 1911s hate me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Glock brand Glock bashing…

2. avatar Erik says:

You’re clearly not familiar with Glocks.

11. avatar SelousX says:

I already own a Walther PPS. Why would the G43 excite me?

1. avatar David says:

Very true!

12. avatar Erik says:

I bought one, and I love it. As soon as I put one in my hand at my LGS I knew I was going to buy one. I started getting Glock fever this summer while shooting my 3rd gen G19. I want to get a magazine extension for the second mag, and whited the inlays on the slide, but I plan to keep it pretty much stock.

It was a little late to the party, but it’s still okay.

14. avatar Biff Baxter says:

1. Too little.
    2. Too late.

15. avatar Gregolas says:

Bought one. Love it. Yes, 24 years late, but still what I’d wanted. Recoil-negligible, even according to 3 ladies.
    Reliability-Glock. Shot sideways & upside down.
    Now has Talon grip panels on it- perfect !

16. avatar RandaII says:

I honestly did not see it coming . . . because I totally forgot the G43 existed. I’m not even a Glock hater. I own three. I just forgot. It’s too little too late.

17. avatar RobinTn says:

As a G43 owner/carrier “Glock fever” makes me laugh out loud. That’s like getting washing machine fever or chopping board fever. It’s a good appliance, really good even. I just can’t get excited over the firearm equivalent of a newly made toaster.

1. avatar Erik says:

Just wait. You’ll want another Glock eventually.

18. avatar boardsnbikes says:

The Glock 43 Buyers’ Enigma: praise the 43 for its tiny size (the PM/CM9 is smaller) and then proceed to add Taran +2 magazine extensions, making it not pocketable and the size of a Shield. I hear the lamentations already 🙂

19. avatar Xopher says:

I own a glock, like it. But I have never understood the almost cult like following they engender amongst people. This gun wouldn’t have received any attention had it been released by Ruger or Beretta or CZ.

1. avatar Erik says:

You really think that if Beretta released a single stack, 9mm version of their most popular pistol that no one would notice?

1. avatar Aerindel says:

Your proof that nobody did.

1. avatar Erik says:

Yeah, that was the joke. He said no one would pay attention if Beretta made the Glock 43, and there’s the Nano, and no one cared, and… yeah.

20. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Meh…I did participate in the survey and seem to remember only voting for 2 catagories and not bothering with the rest. 43 is not small enough and comes standard with a 6 round mag. Wow…

21. avatar Jerry in SW Illinois says:

Can you say “HYPE”? This gun has been hyped from the go.

22. avatar AR says:

Re-viewed “Hitler Reacts…Glock 43” youtube. Yep, NSFW, but all over the Glock Fanboys!

23. avatar Tlyst says:

I love my Glock 19. The trigger on the Glock 43 makes it a definite challenge.

1. avatar John Bianco says:

Do yourself a favor and install the Ghost Edge connector……..best $24 you will ever spend. GAME CHANGER!

24. avatar James says:

Why carry the G43 when I can conceal my G19 just fine…15 shot mag vs. 6 shot, end of discussion.

25. avatar Bill Walker says:

I’ll take my Glock G26 over this single stack any day. My personal choice for a single stack would have to be the Walther PPS mod 2.

26. avatar John Bianco says: