When A Gun Control Advocate Says ‘States with Lax Gun Laws Have More Firearms-Related Homicides,’ Show Them This Link

(courtesy tylervigen.com)

People who seek to degrade Americans’ natural, civil and Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms love to play silly buggers with stats. They cherry pick data to make the argument that civilian ownership of firearms is a bad, bad thing. The key principle to keep in mind: correlation does not equal causation. When they assert that “states with lax gun laws have a higher rate of firearms-related homicide” (or a similar statistical fallacy), remind them of that. By sending them here. That is all.

[h/t CVA]

comments

1. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

HAHAHAHA. That just proves……..

2. avatar Phred says:

Damnit Kentucky!

1. avatar Common Reason says:

On the same note, there’s a correlation between people who eat Boston Baked Beans and people who get Frostbite.

Alright beans .. quit causing all that frostbite!

If we can save even one child’s pinky toe isn’t it all really worth it?

3. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Brilliant. Stunningly brilliant!

4. avatar DerryM says:

…or tell them to go spend a week in Chicago,,,

1. avatar Joe R. says:

…or just STFU, or “nobody asked”

5. avatar Ron T from KY says:

We’re not sorry. Muahahaha

6. avatar Wiregrass says:

That’s simple. Once guys get married, the sex starts to taper off. So they take up fishing. Less marriage, less fishing.

7. avatar Danny Griffin says:

Hilarious site. There are many ridiculous correlations.

8. avatar Kyle In Texas says:

That is fantastic. “Pick a number between one to ten. Now, pick the number that you think I picked you to pick.”

1. avatar Timmy! says:

Whenever someone asks me to pick a number between one and ten, I pick Pi.

1. avatar Peter says:

Whenever someone asks me to pick what I want for dessert, I pick pie.

2. avatar peirsonb says:

I pick pi

Come on, be rational.

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

Or at least show some erudition and pick e.

2. avatar Right to arm Bears says:

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

3. avatar hi-tek-redneck says:

I pick 209 “between one to ten”

9. avatar Rick in NH says:

Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine homicide statistics correlate with less gun control, less crime. How does that fit in?

10. avatar Excedrine says:

This is actually a favorite of mine to counter just such spurious correlations. LOL

11. avatar William Burke says:

AHA! I KNEW that eating sardines was the cause of moving violations on Memorial Day!

12. avatar John Thomas says:

its kind of beside the point, i know, but…

“number of people who died by becoming tangled in their bedsheets”
    and
    “murders by steam, hot vapors, and hot objects”

im flabbergasted that these are things that happen, rare or not.

13. avatar What about Bob says:

Awesome link. If you didn’t click it, you should.

14. avatar 16V says:

While it is amusing (seriously, I do so love stuff like this), it factually does sweet FA to illuminate the logical fallacy of equating correlation with causation, specific to the question of guns and homicides.

What does bury it is charts showing suicide rates (which aren’t “homicides”), charts showing that the majority of those guns are actually obtained outside of the law, and owned by people illegally. Not to mention used illegally.

I’d love to see them also do a chart of these “firearm related homicides” by race of perp (and victim), with the fact being that the ~8% of the US that is black and male commits ~50% of all murders. What ridiculously simplistic conclusion would they draw from that? Or would they just label themselves as ‘evil racists’ and solicit prosecution for “hate speech”, or thoughtcrime, or whatever?

(If you think I’m being “racist”, please re-read the para carefully…)

15. avatar JSJ says:

Boating accidents again?

16. avatar Dustin says:

I just did a few personal correlations…

The number of times I’ve seen Obama on TV is an exact match for the number of times I felt like crying for the future…

The number of times that Shannon opened her mouth is an exact match for the number of times I’ve wanted to punch her in it…

Tho, I think these might actually be causative…

17. avatar Chadwick P. says:

I think that’s pretty close to my reply on one of the anti’s correlation links posted before. Something about the amount of people drowned in oceanic boat accidents and the number of boats in Utah. Sounds legit until the person reaizes that Utah is land locked.

18. avatar SteveInCO says:

Or at least show a teeny bit more erudition and go with e.

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

…Sorry, bloated TTAG crapware lost that I hit reply to someone, so this ended up down here.

I know better than to hit “delete” (even if it were to show me that option, which it doesn’t), because that doesn’t work at all. (Some webmaster somewhere needs bitchslapped.)

19. avatar Bruce Abbott says:

My state of Maine is armed to the teeth; every single house here in the eastern coastal area has at least one hunting rifle, a shotgun, and a .22 rifle. Over half have pistols of some type. Our gun laws are lax by the direct choice of the electorate, and we don’t let the lawmakers forget that, ever.
    I have followed Maine in the FBI’s uniform crime statistics for years; we have had anywhere from 12 to 23 homicides per year for the last two decades or more. The most that we had since records were kept was 40. All the while that guns were killing 2/3 of the homicide victims in the US proper, Maine gun deaths accounted for only 55% of our killings.
    The entire working assumption of gun control is that guns are the problem; how do proponents explain Maine, with almost universal gun ownership, a homicide rate /hundred-thousand that hovers around 2.0, and gun deaths as a percentage lower than the overall federal rate? they can’t!

20. avatar Kyle says:

A common confusion is looking at state-level gun control laws and the total number of gun deaths in the state. That is not what you go by. You have to look at the total number of gun murders. You can find a state can have an overall lower level of gun deaths but yet higher gun murder rate .And a state can have a higher number of gun deaths from things like self-defense shootings, accidents, and suicides by firearm, but yet a lower number of gun murder.

21. avatar Tominator says:

Well, based on my methods, either I will never get married in Kentucky OR go boating in Kentucky…..whew! That was close!

….and no mention of cousins? That might skew the chart a bit???

22. avatar Brian says: