“Smart Ammunition Magazines” Revealed

"Smart" (biometric) ammunition magazines (courtesy bloomberg .com)

Needless to say, this could be a “What Could Possibly Go Wrong?” post. I’d love to see a demo video of a gun owner reloading his handgun using the system. Under stress. Tap, rack, look at the idiot light! Hey! Look at the new round count! bloomberg.com reveals the man behind the biometric mags: 52-year-old Daniel Biran. The Co-founder of two-year-old, 15-employee startup Clipfort in Kfar Saba, Israel “previously made biometric memory sticks [and] began working on gun safety following the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre.” Here’s some more ammo for biometric mag haters . . .

1. Lock
The fingerprint sensor on the bottom of the clip is programmed at purchase to match the owner’s print. It works 99,999 times out of 100,000, the company says.

Good luck with that! (courtesy bloomberg.org)

2. Load
ID confirmation takes 0.7 seconds. Given a match, the clip can load bullets until the magazine is removed from the gun.

Prototypes
Clipfort has developed magazines for the M16 rifle and a range of pistols.

Price
The company says it plans to charge $150 to $200 for the clips, which can be refilled with new bullets.

Next Steps
Clipfort has joined with gun manufacturer Check-Mate Industries to begin mass production by the end of next year.

Just in case you thought this was a REALLY stupid idea, Bloomberg called an “expert” to tout the biometric mag concept. Even he couldn’t quite see its commercial potential.

Adam Winkler, a UCLA law professor and author of Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America, says that even though Clipfort has strenuously avoided taking a position on U.S. gun laws, “many gun enthusiasts will see this as a back door to restricting their Second Amendment rights”—and pressure retailers to keep the magazines off their shelves.

Yeah, that’s it. Blame gun enthusiasts for rejecting this lame-ass concept – before it even hits the stores. What’s really hard to believe: Biran burned through $2m already and wants another million to make it so – assuming his calls to Michael Bloomberg went unanswered,

comments

1. avatar Michelle says:

Well at least it can be “reloaded with new bullets”.

2. avatar Jack says:

Clips. Bullets. Words have meaning, and these words don’t mean what you think they do.

1. avatar Stacy says:

+10000

99% of marketing is getting stupid people to buy things.

2. avatar Brett in MS says:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

3. avatar Cliff H says:

What about the one you left in the chamber?

1. avatar Another Robert says:

Coming soon–the biometric chamber…

2. avatar Sixpack70 says:

It’s made in Israel, they don’t carry with one in the pipe.

1. avatar Newshawk says:

Another case of a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist…

4. avatar Ben says:

He’s not looking for ANOTHER million… He’s looking for another FOUR million. DOUBLE what ‘investors’ have already ponied up. Good luck with that…

1. avatar Cliff H says:

Unless he has Bloomberg’s e-mail address.

5. avatar PPGMD says:

These articles are what happens when idiots that know nothing about the topic write articles about guns.

They neglect to mention that real reason gun owners won’t want it. Because it is more than 3-4 times the cost of a new magazine, the implications for gun control and unreliability are just icing on the cake.

1. avatar Jjimmyjomga says:

As per cost of these being prohibitive, you might check some of the prices of “junky” mags made by ruger, savage, etc. some close to $100 (with no finger print thingy included), same for the (better) AI, SIG rifle mags…which MagPul recently challenged with reasonably priced models, so all other features ignored, these mag prices are not that crazy.

1. avatar Christopher says:

The most expensive Ruger mag is a 10rd .308 for the Scout rifle, $75. That’s still 2-3 times less than this biometric mag, and I don’t consider 75 bucks even remotely “close to $100.” The overwhelming majority of magazines are 4-6 times cheaper.

2. avatar PPGMD says:

Oh believe me I am aware of some very expensive magazines. I’ve paid $160 plus shipping for 171.25mm STI 9mm magazines, I have a belt full of magazines that cost more than many people’s pistols.

But if these are $200 for a Glock magazine, that $160 STI mag would probably be over $300 with this technology.

2. avatar Cliff H says:

And then when it’s empty you have to throw it away and buy a new one, right?

6. avatar Gordon Wagner says:

In other news, aftermarket tits you can clamp on your boar hog…

1. avatar Mike in OK says:

+1 and an LoL.

7. You guys wrote about this back in March. Also, the company has let it’s domain name lapse. It’s looking like Clipfort is no more.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Really. I wonder what happened?

2. avatar JSJ says:

Facebook page hasn’t been updated in 11 months either.

8. avatar OakRiver says:

If you are not sure of the difference between a clip and a magazine you should not be designing either.

1. avatar schernobyl says:

whoa Whoa whoa you mean you’re supposed to know about a subject before designing a product for it…. mind blown

9. avatar Ryan S. says:

Another answer to a nonexistent problem.

10. avatar MikeH121 says:

So I has my “Smart Mag” and there is a lonely regular mag sitting there. Unless it is a part of the firearm, and the pistol / rifle will not fire until it is paired up. It is USELESS, stopping a shooter who wants to kill people.

Maybe we need a smart chip inserted into politicos brains, and Bloomies homies, like Watts, Moveon (away from logic) it must be used anytime they open there mouths.

As Fri the 13th has shown. You cannot stop someone who uses violence without violence. If you want to rush in and tackle a shooter unarmed you are still engaging in a violent action. The only non violent action is to stand in the way and allow yourself to be shot in place of someone else. Ain’t many who would do so.

As long as there are sheep there will always be wolves. Never seen a Wolf Free Zone sign.

Hey, this is a great idea! I can’t wait until it’s beta tested by 35,000 members of the NYPD, and also Obama’s praetorian guards from the Secret Service.

12. avatar Another Robert says:

Do you have to put your finger to it for each round? No? Then if you lose your loaded gun in a tussle the bad guy can still use it on you? And any other mags you have that he can take? $200 for that? Yeah, folks would be lining up for that, but for those nasty “gun enthusiasts” and their “pressure”.

13. avatar Jjimmyjomga says:

Ok, Smart Mag….Has anybody invented the “Smart Gun Owner” yet?

14. avatar Don says:

The universe keeps breeding smarter idiots… and this guy is one.

15. avatar Mr. AR-10 says:

So I can just load bullets in there? That’s going to save me a bundle on ammo costs!

Awesome!

1. avatar ACP_arms says:

Well, with CO2 guns you just load the bullet’s

So it must be a CO2 pistol.

But with CO2 “clips” are still called “magazines”

16. avatar James in Florida says:

Why not just add a debit card swipe and just pay as you shoot.
    No contracts.

17. avatar Woody W Woodward says:

The more bells and whistles, the more chances for a fubar. EMP anybody?
    [W3]

18. avatar soonerlobo says:

On top of all the other issues with this system, is the capacity for the Glock 19 variant only six rounds? Just guessing by the picture.

1. avatar Michelle says:

Nobody needs more than that to take down a deer. With their glock.

19. avatar James Lee says:

Any investor willing to dump cash on projects like these has no idea what due diligence means. The only customers i could foresee are FUDDs and new gun owners introduced by fudds. If u got the cash to invest in this please come to my office and i’ll make sure u make 45.70% of a return on every penny u put into my funds. And u wont find where i keep my disclaimer.

20. avatar John L. says:

And I thought Wilson Combat mags were expensive…

21. avatar Stinkeye says:

“Revealed”? Didn’t TTAG already cover this terrible product idea several months ago? I’m pretty sure I recall us eviscerating the concept in the comments section already.

22. avatar Roymond says:

“Works 99,999 times out of 100,000”.

Under lab conditions, almost certainly. I want to see it tested with sweat, blood, mud, whatever.

And the counter is totally in the wrong place — if I’m going to have a display telling me how many shots I have left, I want it where I don’t have to take my eyes off my target.

23. avatar FlaResident says:

Do the make them for Raven MP25s ?

24. avatar Galtha58 says:

None of this technology is “smart”. Computers are not smart. They do an excellent job of matching up digital files and running digital programs MOST of the time. They also screw up a lot and have many software issues and hacking concerns. To put these systems on a device that needs to be accessed and used in a second or less with no glitches or delays is asanine, dangerous and potentially criminal. They are a lawsuit waiting to happen when one of these fails in a self defense situation. Any lawmaker that advocates devices like this needs to be voted out of office for being stupid or gullible.

25. avatar Siris says:

I’m still waiting in the 9mm exacto round that only hit targets that have bad intentions.

Hey I need about 12 million to fund the R&D on my innovative new flying lawnmower.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Too late, there was a flying lawnmower years back, and according to Snopes, it killed someone:

On a serious but stupid note, lawn-mowing is an actual term used to describe a prop plane doing an extremely dangerous stupid-low pass, known to have fatal results…

1. avatar Roymond says:

I learned that term when in college. I was on a rafting trip down the river once when the campus ROTC helicopter came along low enough to hit with a paddle. I talked to an ROTC buddy later and he said a former Vietnam chopper pilot was there showing what could be done with a helicopter.

26. avatar E_chin says:

“Given a match, the clip can load bullets until the magazine is removed from the gun.”

what?

1. avatar Siris says:

Don’t question it.
      It’s a “smart feature”.
      Gun owners aren’t trained or smart
      enough to understand liberal writing or logic.

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Yep. Calling into question how it does this with limited battery power.

3. avatar Michelle says:

Cool. I always wanted match grade mags.

4. avatar William Burke says:

Mumbo-jumb0.

5. avatar LarryinTX says:

You’re being deliberately obtuse. Clearly this wonderful device, once paired with your fingerprint, will continue to load bullets until you remove it from the gun. That ability could save you the cost of the magazine on the first day. Pair it up, fire 500-1000 rounds, and when you’re ready to go home remove it! You’ve saved $2-300 in ammo with most calibers, and it can even be reloaded for tomorrow!

27. avatar CHLChris says:

What is that Glock-looking gun in this photo? It just looks different enough to obviously not actually be a Glock.

1. avatar Fred says:

It’s the Smart-Glock, the SMOCK. Just don’t take it out when it’s raining or expect it to work quickly.

28. avatar Swarf says:

The fingerprint sensor on the bottom of the clip

1. avatar Swarf says:

[img]https://www.anony.ws/i/2015/11/14/et.jpg[/img]

29. avatar Stacy says:

“Clipfort” now replaces the term derp to mean retard.

“Hey clipfort your shoe is untied.”

“Nice airball clipfort, aim for the rim next time.”

30. avatar Nelson says:

No thanks, to the annoying nosy Jewish Grandmas’ overbearing urges satiating crapola ‘inventions.’

LOL

31. avatar William Burke says:

And I’m supposed to give thanks to Israel because why?

32. avatar GuyFromV says:

Biometric authentication is the absolute worst method, period. To implement it for anything even resembling life or death situations is pretty laughable, if its not due to cluelessness then maybe this was chosen for subversive reasons.

33. avatar William Burke says:

Once again, edit time was expired by the time the edit screen came up. About 20 seconds.

Then, posting this, “you are posting too quickly. Slow down.”

This is entirely unacceptable. Who would accept such performance from a firearm?

34. avatar Siris says:

The only “smart tech” gun owners will likely ever accept will be for those trailer hitch and cooler locks they give you with your purchase.

35. avatar Indiana Tom says:

So the IDF will be adopting these clips immediately….right?

36. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Oy vey-THIS came from Israel? They usually make such cool shite…

37. avatar SpecialK says:

An extra .7 of a second probably doesn’t seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but that is a serious disadvantage in a fight.

38. avatar Wood says:

Isn’t Checkmate a current USGI contractor for M14 and M16/M4 mags? And not the best rep either. They need a good reaming for being associated with this product. Don’t reward them with your hard earned dollars, make them feel it.

39. avatar Steve Day says:

It works “99,999 out of 100,000 times” they claim…

I seriously doubt they tested it with somebody who has undergone a simulated violent attack – their hands would be shaking uncontrollably and they may have blood covering their fingerprints.

1. avatar Fred says:

I just tested my phone’s sensor, which is similar if not identical tech. I quickly tapped my finger on my tongue and tried to unlock the phone. No-go with a tiny amount of transparent liquid. I had to wipe the sensor and use my other finger to get it to work again. I wouldn’t want to test blood because it would stain the sensor and require real cleaning, exactly what you don’t want in a life-or-death situation.

40. avatar Stuki Moi says:

Hey, it’s fashionable to be a tech “entrepreneur” these days. If you’re too much of an idiot to do anything useful, what’s wrong with useless. Plenty of equally too much of an idiot rich apes (cough, Major Dunce in NY) wishing to be able to brag about being an “angel” investor.

41. avatar Fred says:

My new phone, the LG V10, has a “biometric” scanner (aka fingerprint scanner) that’s supposed to be 99.9% effective as well. That’s to say it’s 99.9% effective when I have the perfect finger placement under optimal conditions. That means far less than 99.9% success rate. Under battlefield conditions with added stress no way it would work. It is pretty cool on my phone, but I wouldn’t trust my life to it and then add the two seconds of racking a slide. Then there is the issue of taking a carry gun you can conceal and taking away the concealability.

Considering the anti-police movement going on now they should be the first to test these in the US. Exempt status, what’s that?

42. avatar CAG404 says:

“…and pressure retailers to keep the magazines off their shelves….” The pressure will be that they won’t sell.

I’d hate to really need a magazine and it be that one time out of 100,000 where it doesn’t work.

43. avatar A. C. says:

Perhaps, someday, the right combination of ingenuity and technology will make one that’s foolproof and reliable: both error free and failure free. Until then it is quite literally bleeding edge technology. I won’t condemn them for trying because these imperfect attempts are essential to finally arriving at something that people who depend on their guns for their lives and safety can rely on. But for now I have no plans to bleed unnecessarily because of an experimental, imperfect approach fails me. I’ll let others do that.

44. avatar Dave says:

A glock mag runs about 30 bucks. 150 to 200 bucks is outrageous!

Also, you’ll need to take it apart and clean it. If this is possible, you could easily remove the electronic mechanism. It takes its place next to those pinned magazines in Canada, where it’s illegal to remove the pins (The pin obstructs the follower, making a 30 round magazine a 5 round magazine). I’m sure criminals will pay attention to that. Murder is a crime too, you know.

Lastly, 0.7 seconds is a long f***ing time in a tactical reload.

45. avatar whatever says:

This is a terrible ******* idea.

46. avatar Steve B says:

I think I will just wait for “Smart Rounds.” You know, ammunition that will only kill bad guys! LOL