GLOCK 19 Barely Beats Springfield XD Mod.2 in Completely Unscientific TTAG Online Poll

(courtesy The Truth About Guns)

Thank you to the 6500 readers who voted in our poll pitting the venerable GLOCK 19 against Springfield Armory’s XD Mod.2. As you can see from the screen cap above, the GLOCK edged-out the Springfield by a margin of 52 to 48 percent. I’d say that was well within the margin of error, but the whole poll is inherently erroneous (being an opt-in Internet poll posted on a pro-gun website). Despite the image above, I chose the Springfield XD Mod.2 as the better gun. It’s got a better grip, offers a more natural point-of-aim and I prefer the XD’s trigger. But there’s no question that . . .

the GLOCK 19 is worthy of any gun buyer’s hard-earned cash. It’s the perfect size, provides famous reliability (for those who must-have reliability sur tout) and offers excellent capacity. If the GLOCK 19 had a better trigger . . .

A problem easily and completely fixed by the installation of a GHOST trigger, which only adds about $20 to the price of Gaston’s gun. I fitted one on to my 19 (along with night sights) to make it the perfect go-to gun. Aside from my other perfect go-to handguns – which cost a damn sight more. Respect to both competitors. They both raised the bar for every other mass market handgun maker. Our new poll is up!

comments

1. avatar Paul53 says:

Polls are close, when are the debates?

1. avatar Rokurota says:

Can John Harwood moderate?

2. avatar working4change says:

Glock = HP work horse products, ugly, but work. most will own one, but ignore it till its needed.

1. avatar SD3 says:

Sounds like most gay dudes I’ve ever known.
        For that matter, it sounds like most lesbians I’ve ever known, too.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

2. avatar AL L says:

Having experience with neither, I’ll just keep on keeping on with my XDs in 45ACP. Thanks!

1. avatar working4change says:

XDM 45acp 13rds. pre mod 2. perfect striker fire pistol worth every penny.

3. avatar Siris says:

I still like the mag capacity of the XDM.
    19 for 9mm and 16 for the fortay.
    Well, that and the match grade barrels.

4. avatar Skykingmn says:

I view this website more than girls in lingerie websites,(well, its probably a tie!) and I never saw a poll? I vote Mod 2…. Is there a grandfather clause?

1. avatar Skykingmn says:

by “girls” I mean anyone above the age of consent. Just to clarify!

1. avatar Gunr says:

In Mississippi, and neighboring communities, the age of consent can be as low as 5, Just saying………………

1. avatar Skykingmn says:

Dear God! For any law enforcement personnel,(or fellow fathers) who may be reading, when I say girls I mean anyone over 18 at a MINIMUM!!!! You have just witnessed the shortest posting career on the internet. I officially retire.

2. avatar AdamTA1 says:

Haha thanks for this. that was a good laugh for today.

2. avatar Former Water Walker says:

SEE: Girls with Guns on FB…I voted GLOCK but only because I don’t like the grip safety on the Springfield. And I think the Croatian sensation should be priced lower…

5. avatar Lance says:

Block 19s suck go with the 17!!!!!

6. avatar Accur81 says:

No love for the Glock 23 modded to 9mm with a conversion barrel, recoil spring upgrade, and 33 round mag?

7. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

GLOCK beats Intratec any day of the week.

8. avatar paul says:

i voted for the glock cause when springfield had the audacity to mark specific parts of the grip to show me how, when, or where to grip, and to inform me that was their marvelous improvement, i had to laugh. having both the glock 19 and the xd9 and xd45, couldn’t see the improvement with their mod 2. still enjoy both the glocks and the xd’s.

9. avatar jwm says:

Man, that’s like picking tupperware from wal mart as opposed to dollar general. Who gives a phuck.

1. avatar CarlosT says:

As of this moment, 6,782 people.

10. avatar James Lee says:

Were it XDM i would’ve though about it. Hate finger grooves, always dremel them off before even the second range trip. Glock all the way, since they both have finger grooves, XD has a grip safety which requires a continuous effort to grip the gun right every time you fire it, and i have neither the information nor the expertise to confirm XD’s long term reliability and durability under harsh conditions, as there is no track record for XD but sporadic anecdotes. Each of my glocks has a factory Minus connector and a 1000rd trigger job. And trijicon night sights. And the removal of the finger grooves and backstrap hump. Yea, i’d even pick those over a new-to-the-market gun with a grip safety.

1. avatar Wiregrass says:

I think if you look around you’ll find plenty of torture tests for the XD, just based on the old model and not Mod 2. Given the fact that the Mod 2 changes seem minimal, I’d consider these applicable, not that I think these even matter for most in real life use. I can anecdotally attest to no problems in 7 years of use with any ammo I feed it except for some bad reloads that were my own fault. I don’t find the fact that a gun requires you to grip it right to be a drawback. It only requires you to grip it safely, believe me, it’s still possible to grip it poorly and get it to fire.

1. avatar James Lee says:

Totally cool man… For EDC use most modern guns are more than adequately reliable that’s true. But for SHTF my guns might have to put up with more than there is in day to day life. I have lots of pistols but glocks are the only ones i pack for SHTF and EDC so that i can devote precious training time soly to one platform. As for the grip safety, back when i was young and just started competing with 1911/2011, my hand would miss the grip safety here and there as i tried to grip the gun as high as possible. As a result all my current 2011s have pinned grip safeties and by design that is safe. It’s different from a thumb safety in that the thumb safety only requires one action as long as u can reach it. That how i came to hate grip safeties. It seems that an XD would become unsafe were i to disable the grip safety.

11. avatar Fred Frendly says:

Except 40SW beats 9MM and Springfield doesnt offer a Grope Zone in 40SW.

12. avatar Fred Frendly says:

Its too bad Glock doesnt offer a Grope Zone. Everytime I try to Grope my Glock it pulls away and says I dont love it anymore.

13. avatar DaveC says:

My primary EDC is the Springfield XDs .40 pre mod. I love the gun and constantly group in the center of a target between 15 and 21 feet. I can’t really compare it to the Glock having never fired one. So maybe my vote doesn’t really count. Regardless, I’m not changing my EDC.

14. avatar Custodian says:

Considering my mainstream firearm wasn’t even in the poll, I have no dog in this fight.

15. avatar Phil says:

The XDM is a good gun but Glock wins easly.
    The Glock has a much lower bore axis!!!!!!!!!!
    The lower boar axis lead to faster shot recovery and better recoul handeling.
    Lower boar axis also give you much better pointability.
    The hinger bore axis of the XDM also make it top heavy an unbalanced.
    And this is to say nothing of the almost endless accessories for The Glock.

16. avatar Abram G says:

Interestingly enough, the XD (mod 1) and G19 were the final contenders for my first pistol purchase. I ended up going with the Glock, but it almost came down to a coin toss.

17. avatar Scott says: