College Professors Shred the Constitution. Literally. But Not Metaphorically.

In this hidden video, a student journalist pretends to be upset by the Constitution. In the opening scene, Kelly Grab, Vassar’s Assistant Director of Equal Opportunity, oversees the literal shredding of a copy of the document. Now, if a student told me that a piece of paper was causing panic attacks, I would have no problem . . .

watching her shred that document. You know…as part of her therapy. Constitution, Bible, Mao’s Little Red Book, whatever. This strikes me as entirely appropriate (after an appropriate discussion). Which makes the first part of the video an example of unfair “gotcha” journalism. Especially considering the edit, which leaves out a vital part of the conversation.

“The Constitution is an oppressive document,” Carol Lesser, Professor of History and Director of Gender, Sexuality and Feminist Studies pronounces (at 5:40). Then again, Lesser praises the Constitution for its protection against quick, radical change. And, later (8:30), discusses the meaning of the Second Amendment. While I profoundly disagree with her views, she does not say the Constitution should be discarded.

Other professors also talk-up the doc. And criticize specific parts – rather than calling for its abolition. While I’m appalled by the lack of respect given the Second Amendment by academics, I reject this video as unfair and misleading. You?

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

It’s a document that’s hated in many corners by many people. kapo bloomberg, hillary, bernie, barrie, difi, The list is endless.

But so is the list of folks willing to defend that document. Me…….

1. avatar Anonymoose says:

They want to play “Communism,” I say we put on our ushankas, grab our nuggets, SKSes, and AKs, and give’em a good show. Remember, liberalism, racism (be it trans-Black against white, or whatever), and feminism are DIVISIVE and go against glorious Marxist principles, comrade.

1. avatar Nicks87 says:

I say we give them Stalin’s organs!

1. avatar Paul says:

Don’t forget Molotov’s cocktails.

2. avatar mike oregon says:

Yes, they were set up, but they did bite the bait. I’ve been doing some fall cleaning, I just noticed on my night stand is a bible, a copy of the Constitution and The guide to military small arms of the 20th century. I bet this means that I’m on a list.

1. avatar Lurker_of_lurkiness says:

The list of awsome people!

2. avatar Chris. says:

We’re ALL on a list. Wave to your NSA agent!

1. avatar SkyMan77 says:

+ Another.. I’d wager that our numbers are a tad bit more than III% these day’s… 🙂

3. avatar William Burke says:

They didn’t just “bite the bait”! They sucked it in deep and headed for the nearest structure. Never seen a bass hit a lure like those nitwits hit that bait. No sir.

VERY nicely done, Project Veritas!!! And the young woman who played the bait – wonderful!!! Thanks so much.

3. avatar the ruester says:

No I blame them for reinforcing and perpetuating this “triggering” and “safe space” nonsense. I don’t care if they stood on a table and quoted Patrick Henry, simply giving the time of day to something so blatantly ridiculous is unacceptable. Hell, if you ask me anything less than slapping these kids silly and sending them back home until they can learn to deal with grownup ideas is FAILING them, on a massive level. And here we see grown ass people entertaining this dysfunction as though it was legitimate, which is likely their default response to every claim of injustice. We are truly doomed if these special little non-aborted fetuses make their way into power. It’s easy to see, now, how Mao pulled it off.

1. avatar barnbwt says:

The hysterical indulging the insane.

4. avatar Louis Marschalko says:

The link is to an article about the basic nature of the American republic. To understand something (American democratic republicanism), it sometimes helps to learn about alternatives. Basic political theory is no longer much discussed. Rather, practical discussions of how best to manage the “democratic” welfare state replace theorizing about the best form of government.

1. avatar NjGunGuy says:

National Socialism is a failed system and being a Nazi on the internet isn’t edgy anymore. Git.

5. avatar glenux says:

This trigger-word phenomena (fad) that is going on around college campuses would be quite amusing for the shear absurdity except for the fact that it is not preparing these young students for the real world, plus it teaches them they can shout out “trigger word” and they can instantly shut down free Speech, however offensive it may be.
    Just how detached from reality can one get from reality?

This is the “Theatre of the Absurd” Part II.

Public colleges that think it is OK to shred the constitution should consider what their finances will be like when the federal government withdraw their funds.

6. avatar glenux says:

Just how detached can one get from reality?

This is the “Theatre of the Absurd” Part II.

7. avatar Mikele says:

Another example of the “pussification” of America. I have a safe space for ya… stay at home if you cannot handle life on life’s terms! I’d love for someone to do a spoof like this but instead of the Constitution being the trigger, it would be all the PC movement itself that was the trigger! Lol. And BTW the scene with the female professor making fun of the 2nd Amendment and again using the term “Assault Weapons” with no idea of its true meaning makes me physically ill. I mean how many so called intelligent Americans really do not get the 2nd Amendment or how important it is to our freedom? Ughhh we REALLY need to get out there and win this presidency, or we’re all screwed!

1. avatar the ruester says:

“The PC movement is the trigger”

Well, they certainly are “problematic,” aren’t they?

2. avatar Stinkeye says:

If, by “we”, you mean people who value the constitution and the individual rights it’s intended to protect, then I’ve got bad news for you. “We” aren’t going to win this presidency, regardless of which special-interest-controlled statist gets elected.

See, told ya. The Soviet Union did not fall. It merely changed its address to a college near you.

9. avatar Dean Carpenter says:

You pay people to teach you this stuff? Well it’s a free country as long as we got the 2A.

10. avatar Chip Bennett says:

The Constitution is oppressive? Only to would-be tyrants.

1. avatar anaxis says:

With a very few exceptions, every college “professor” I’ve ever met has treated their position/classroom as their own personal little fiefdom, and anything or anyone that questions their knowledge or authority is treated as a threat.

11. avatar Anonymous says:

North Korea. That is where these people should go. No constitution. No oppressive Bill of rights. After all – rights are oppressive.

1. avatar Gunr says:

I’m 100% with you. Pack ’em all up in a container, and off they go!

2. avatar Raoul Duke says:

Send them over to Europe since they worship it so much particularly Sweden, their SJW paradise!!!

But they must in turn send us back freedom-loving Europeans. I know there are some left. Send us more RobSki and Polenar Tactical-minded Europeans!!

12. avatar Ed says:

It’s the clown shoes. Totally stresses me out, man.

13. avatar Joe R. says:

“The Constitution is an oppressive document,” . . . IF you’re not equal, and if you’re not, you’ll likely never be.

14. avatar Excedrine says:

Unfair and misleading?

Ha! Hardly. It’s more along the lines of teasing out their true core beliefs, which didn’t take long and the results were very predictable.

15. avatar actionphysicalman says:

I don’t much enjoy watching someone go around and lie to people to try to get them to look bad, even when it is leftist academics being targeted.

16. avatar DaveR says:

The video has been intensively edited to make a (IMHO cheap) rhetorical point–they’re basically goading people into shredding paper. That’s it.

The “journalist” comes off sounding like a kook (“this pamphlet is scaring me”?) and when ever I talk to kooks, I tend to smile and nod until I can gain a safe distance. Shredding the source of their “distress” is a cheap way to gain that distance.

17. avatar PPGMD says:

Meh they shredded a $1 booklet. Heck I think I have a dozen of them from various vendors that include them with my orders, one or two might have even ended up in the trash.

Call me if they got get an original copy of the Constitution and shred it.

18. avatar IL-annoyed says:

“Liberty will not descend to a people, a people must raise themselves to liberty; it is a blessing that must be earned before it can be enjoyed.”

–          Benjamin Franklin

These motards would be called traitors by the founders.

19. avatar Sian says:

“The Constitution is an oppressive document,”

Indeed it is, if you are in favor of a government that wants to be free to expand its power and authority in an unlimited fashion.

20. avatar RetiredJarhead says:

Those of you in the “meh” camp overlook that fact that every single instance of coddling of these “trigger” words or “micro aggressions” is a notch in the win column for all the looney’s on the left. My drill instructors in Marine boot camp would have laughed themselves to side-splitting, puking hilarity if one of us had said the stupid sh1t these clowns spout. Then they would have proceeded to thrash us until we puked, and after the lights went out, the offender would have “fallen down the stairs”… repeatedly… until his brains fell out.

When I hear this, I want to throat punch them until their cranium separates from their spine… but I won’t, not yet, anyway.

21. avatar Hannibal says:

They don’t just have a director of equal opportunity, they have (at least one!) an assistant director of equal opportunity. And you wonder why tuition is so high? Also why online colleges are probably the only realistic business model left for non-top tier schools.

22. avatar Chris T from KY says:

The communist don’t like people talking back to them. And they don’t like anyone being able to shoot back either. Thanks takes care of the 1st and 2nd amendments.

23. avatar fuque says:

Time is fast approaching when people will either pick a side to support, or one will be picked for them.

24. avatar The Damned says:

is this another planned parenthood created video for effect ?

25. avatar Tominator says:

I’ve been preaching since the late ’60s that academia hates the Constitution and every thing about it…..and do so even as they expect considerable financial support from you and I!

These people are uneducating your children BTW….

26. avatar Wee Liam says:

Saw this last night, late. It should be a SNL sketch. THE IRONY! The IRONY!!!

And it’s horrible.

High five, Project Veritas! Well,dome’

27. avatar DaveC says:

I do not like people who talk against our country, or the documents upon which it was founded any more than most of you here. But as you are blasting these people in the video, remember one thing; they too are exercising their Constitutional rights. Yes it aggravates me. But that is the beauty of living in this country, our freedom of speech. Yes I want to call them traitors also. I served in the military for 23 years defending this nation and the Constitution. And yes I stand on Constitutional rights; freedom of speech, right to bare arms, freedom of religion, etc…Whether we like what these people are saying or not remember this, as long as they are free to spout their rhetoric so are we. Bottom line is this means we still have our freedoms. Academia, just like the media, has been shifting to the left for many years. This is nothing new. Did we not see our precious flag burned on college campuses back in the 60s? There is a long history here that I will take the time to go in to because I could write a book on the subject. The best we can do is work within our personal sphere of influence to help those around us know the truth. I watched as my own son was sucked into the academic philosophies of today. So now he is all about existentialism and the like. But he is a grown adult and free to make his own choices. While I do not like nor agree with many of his beliefs, the bottom line is he is FREE to believe as he sees fit. As for this video; as some have mentioned, it is edited by the creators to support the slant they want, rather than show it in its entirety for everyone to witness. So, my question is how does that make them any better than the left leaning who do the same?

28. avatar PeterK says:

Yeah, I didn’t really give this vid the time of day. It’s obvious silliness from top to bottom.

29. avatar Steve Day says:

I normally like Veritas videos, but this was little more than a setup… more comparable to say, a botched Federal “sting” on mentally challenged teenagers – which persuades said teens to get neck tattoos and sell guns.