Question of the Day: Do You Trust Anything A Politician Says on Guns? [VIDEO]

Republican presidential candidate and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush says he’s pro-gun, but tells the world that gun control laws should be left to the states (where gun rights restrictions are OK). Presidential candidate and reality show star Donald Trump recently released a solidly pro-gun policy statement, but previously supported an “assault weapons” ban. New Jersey Governor Chris Christies says he’s pro-gun, but favored a ban on .50 rifles. While there are presidential aspirants who’ve been consistently pro-gun – Ted Cruz springs to mind – and you can certainly trust Democratic hopefuls to be anti-gun, do you trust any politician on gun rights?

comments

1. avatar Rick K. says:

Jeb and Chris are the two who are least trustworthy, to my mind. Of course, that’s just kind of a general statement of how I feel about them and not just concerning gun laws.

1. avatar Bob R says:

Why would anyone trust a politician with anything?

2. avatar MKK says:

As far as I can throw them.

1. avatar mark s. says:

Yes I do frankly , ( Ted Cruz ) . He is consistent and is a VERY STRONG Constitutional adherent . I think Rand Paul told the tell last week when he told Fox news in an interview that everybody on capitol hill hated Ted . That works for me .

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Agree. Cruz and Rand are few of the ones I do trust.

3. avatar MamaLiberty says:

Don’t trust any politician, bureaucrat or other government employee to tell the truth, about anything, ever. All you have to do is figure out what their true motive and incentives are. Control of everything, as much as possible. That is fueled by the belief most have that these people actually have some legitimate authority to do what they do, and that the government can or will do anything actually beneficial to them.

The greatest threat to the human race is the belief of individuals that they can’t live without someone else being in control.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Ditto.

As one of my grandfathers used to say: “If a politician tells you the time, always check your watch.”

2. avatar Bill in IL says:

Agree 110% Mama!

Be fair. When the Jersey legislature passed a .50 cal. ban, Christie vetoed it.

But no, I don’t trust anything that a politician says. I only trust what they do. And even then, I count my fingers after they shake my hand.

1. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Better check your wallet too, because any politician you let close enough to shake your hand is also close enough to pick your pocket. They steal from us on a regular basis all while smiling at us and telling us what great guys they really are.

Actually,government doesn’t usually steal from the people through stealth. The state steals through unbridled force. If a person doesn’t pay up, the state tortures him. If he resists, the state kills him or imprisons him. That’s what governments have always done and always will.

5. avatar MAC][ says:

Trust? No. Watch for patterns? Yes.

…you must always choose the lesser of two weevils.

1. avatar Gunr says:

That’s the pity of the situation, either vote for the lessor evil, or don’t vote at all, those are our choices.

6. avatar Mike in OK says:

7. avatar JasonM says:

I’d trust Rand Paul to be 100% pro gun.

1. avatar mark s. says:

I would too , until he saw a need to play politics with the issue and then , who knows . Do you remember him throwing his support behind Mitch McConnell ?
      Ted Cruz ( President )
      Callie Fiorina ( VP ) or
      Ben Carson ( VP )

1. avatar Bill in IL says:

You don’t even know her name, it’s Carly, and you’re going support / vote for her? Not to mention she is a disgrace of a CEO and almost ruined HP.

1. avatar mark s. says:

I typed Carly , Bill . The computer chose the other name . You could have chosen another way to point out the name mistake than being so anal , Bill . Your comment makes me want to say , it’s your type that’s ruining our chances of electing a good constitutional adhering President , but I don’t know you so I will just apologize for not proof reading my comment and say thanks for pointing it out in such a judgmental way . God bless brother .

8. avatar Winningstads says:

Send Ted $20 every payday. Ask others to do so too.

1. avatar Cucamonga Jeff says:

Ted Cruz is about the only one that I have a hint of trust for and that’s because he has a long proven track record of fighting for gun Rights. I’ve watched him go toe to toe with the likes of Peolosi and Fienstien. That gives him some cred in my book.

1. avatar tdiinva (now in Wisconsin) says:

Cruz made the big splash in the post Newtown frenzy by being loud and brash but Lindsey Graham did the reasoned takedown of the gun grabbers. Cruz is no more trustworthy than any other politician.

1. avatar mark s. says:

Wrong . Lindsey is a whack politician inside and out .
          Cruz is steady as she goes .

2. avatar Matt in TX says:

This. No for everyone but Cruz.

1. avatar Matt in TX says:

I was replying to Jeff.

2. avatar Accur81 says:

We’ve sent about $300 towards Ted Cruz and about $1000 towards Scott Walker.

9. avatar GuyFromV says:

Hahahaha!

10. avatar General Zod says:

Trust a politician only to go along with whatever they believe will keep them from being voted out…and then as minimally as possible.

11. avatar Jack says:

The most difficult choice a politician must ever make is whether to be a hypocrite or a liar –Unknown

12. avatar CLarson says:

American voters should abolish the Secret Service, Capitol police, and other taxpayer provided palace guards. Once the politicians have to account for their own personal security or depend on a 911 response like everyone else has too, their anti-self defense bleating will cease.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

We should also remove all the HVAC systems from government buildings in Washington DC.

13. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

“It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
    I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.”
    ~Ronald Reagan.
    Trust the latter, never the former.
    One knows a whore’s agenda….

14. avatar Jim R says:

No. I don’t trust anything any politician says.

15. avatar M J Johnson says:

16. avatar Publius says:

I only trust someone who has a consistent record of voting in favor of our rights. Since Trump and Fiorona have no voting records, that makes them a coin toss as to what they’d actually do in office. The rest, we can look at what bills they voted for / signed into law and ignore anything that comes out of their mouths.

17. avatar Ing says:

Nope.

I trust that Republicans know they’ll get de-elected if they mess with their constituents’ Second Amendment rights. But even that, I don’t trust very far.

18. avatar Mk10108 says:

I want to believe…just cannot bring myself to a place where I can.

It’s not about the gun, I said time and again it’s about lawful self protection. Gun, knife, 2×4, rock, stick, flame thrower, 10 inch nail, or #2 pencil.

The greatest deterrent against a criminal is an armed citizenry. No about if deflection, hope, whimsical thinking or negotiating is needed nor requires discussion.

19. avatar Greg in Allston says:

Of course not. Next question.

20. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee-neither with any chance. But Cruz fer sure…I think we need him on the Supremes…

21. avatar Grindstone says:

No civil right should be left to anyone to “decide” upon.

22. avatar jsj says:

Not a chance.
    These pro- 2A politicians would turn on a dime if: a) it suited them politically, and b) there were no Obama figure to oppose.
    One only needs look at their treatment of other rights for clues.

Cruz? He happily signed away the probable cause requirements of the 4th amendment (over Rand Paul’s objection, I might add). Strict constructionist my ass.
    Nowhere in the 4th does it say the fed gets a pass on probable cause simply by calling it “terrorism”, without even bothering to define what terrorism is and is not.
    But Cruz is OK with it. The founders would vomit. Franklin first.

23. avatar John F. says:

His strong support for the second amendment and how strongly he destroyed Diane Feinstein after Newton is one reason I’m voting for Ted Cruz. The man is a strong conservative, repects the Constitution, and believes in small government those are some of the others.

24. avatar gsnyder says:

Trump. Trump carries and spent entire life immersed in the real world. He admits to changing his positions on occasion as he learns more about something. Personally changing ones opinion means you are thinking. Few if any of the candidates speak openly and seem genuine whereas Trump does.

25. avatar Billy Colman says:

The only time I know a politician is telling the truth is when he calls another politician a liar.

1. avatar Mikial says:

There is another time . . .

you can always trust that a Liberal politician is telling the truth when they say they are going to try to take away American’s guns.

26. avatar I1ULUZ says:

If they were a combat veteran who has used a firearm to defend himself. I think they fully understand the usefulness of a firearm. If someone like that was running.

Of the current bunch that are running now how many can provide documentation of their Pro 2A stance before they went into politics? And not a NRA card, how many actually own a firearm, could put a group on paper? Not some photo op shooting, don’t think this was staged, doubt if he had any ambitions to run for office when it was taken: http://d3819ii77zvwic.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/vietnam-virginia-jim-webb-31-4_3.jpg

27. avatar pg2 says:

Maybe a more appropriate question of the day….’Do You Trust ANYTHING A Politician Says?’ Why stop at guns?

28. avatar TEXAS_Hogger says:

I 100% trust the following
    Paul
    Cruz
    Carson

I lean towards trusting….
    Fiorina
    Rubio

I 100% do NOT trust…
    All other GOP/DEM candidates
    ESPECIALLY think Bush/Christie are full of BS.

1. avatar pg2 says:

What separates Cruz, Paul, and Carson from the rest??