Obama: Buying a Gun is Easier Than Buying A Book

Barack Obama

“‘It’s not just mass shootings,” Obama said to 200 Hollywood-infused Democratic donors in upscale Pacific Palisades, “It is the daily shootings that take place in cities across America [where] it is easier to buy a gun than buy a book.” On one level, President Obama’s pronouncement to a gathered group of Hollywood royalty makes perfect sense . . .

I’m sure it’s easier for the gang bangers in his home town to buy a gun than a book. Not that there’s a lack of bookstores in The Windy City. Or that buying a book online is a particularly onerous endeavor. But I think it’s safe to say that the thugs wielding firearms in mostly urban areas would find the book buying process extremely difficult.

For one thing, they’d have to know how to read. The literacy rate in Chicago, for example, where two of the public schools bear the President’s name, is 53 percent. And you can bet that the literacy standard is hardly what you and I would consider adequate.

Second, it would be extremely difficult for these wayward youths to choose suitable literature. Most popular books have a strong moral component, which runs contrary to the cultural milieu in which they find themselves. For reference, my friends and I started a drinking game based on MTV’s Cribs. One shot for every book shown. Not a single drink was imbibed.

In short, yes, it’s harder for them to buy a book than a gun. And that tells us more than the President would ever admit about his failed social programs and the disastrous state of the communities where firearms-wielding criminals live and work.

comments

1. avatar TruthTellers says:

Last I checked, when I buy a gun, I don’t get badgered about paying to join a “member’s club” to get special discounts, so that process is a bit easier.

Oh but wait, there’s the whole NICS check and the waiting period in my state.

EXPLETIVE DELETED.

1. avatar Common Reason says:

“Buying a Gun is Easier Than Buying A Book”

It’s feasible I suppose, .. we certainly never saw Obama funneling over 2,000 -Books- to Mexican Drug Gangs as a pretext to banning privately-owned literature in the US.

1. avatar notalima says:

^^winner

Though sending books might have had an actual positive outcome… 😉

1. We have got to make it easier to get books. For the children.

2. avatar neiowa says:

Yes but if the books were in a useful language (English) rather than in Mexican some libtard would be crying racism.

Checked out a book at a gov’t bookstore today. Why is it that I can’t check out a firearm? Now that would be very nifty..

2. avatar thx855 says:

I could kill a person with a book, and use a book to kill a person. Jason Bourne could kill you with a rolled up magazine. Possession of magazines, or rolled up magazines, or books now construed as constructive intent. Ban books. Burn them even. It’s just common sense.

1. avatar justin says:

yes ban Magazines. Especially Bridal Magazines or Almanacs. They are nothing but high capacity magazines

3. avatar JSJ says:

How to get a book in Chicago:
      1) Grab your gun and go to the bookstore…….

4. avatar mark s. says:

You may have forgot where Barry comes from , you know , the ghetto . Guns are easier to find and buy than a book . It should also be noted that his friends could most likely operate a gun better than read a book .
      This is of coarse not true with Barry , who was raised differently than most inner city black folk , but the SAD truth is , most project blacks probably could buy a gun easier than buying a book and it is the fault of Big Government and the indoctrination of generations of black people to the entitlement life and projects living . Way too many lives have been wasted and minds dumbed down by these programs in the black communities , Great innovations and inventions and discoveries that could have benefited mankind have gone unharnessed by those who want to keep minorities addicted to government entitlements and voting one way , to those who continue to dole it out . Some of the most innovative ideas of the 20th century have come from the minds of black people , just imagine the loss we have had by excluding them for so long from the mainstream of our society .
      If you really want to stop the proliferation of guns that are easier to get than a book , Barry . End the entitlement faucet that is Washington DC .

2. avatar Paul says:

They can always buy books anonymously without a background check on the internet. Amazon has made billions with this concept.

“Buying a Gun is Easier Than Buying A Book.” Says the man who is incapable of buying either — unless the book is a Koran.

1. avatar Chadwick P. says:

I’m willing to bet he has plenty and has never paid for one. I would venture to say they were given to him possibly with money. But he’s such a great leader right? So was Stalin…

2. avatar tdiinva (Now in Wisconsin) says:

What makes you think he would bother reading the Koran?

I’m thinking that’s what he learned from Barack Sr., Lolo Soetoro and the Besuki School. Just call it a wild guess.

1. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

Here is to Ralph, keeping it real

2. avatar tdiinva (Now in Wisconsin) says:

You are assuming Barry was a good student and not a lazy brat. If Barry Senior had him read anything it was Das Kapital.

3. avatar neiowa says:

Do the Indonisian Mohammadans let their madrasa students do dope while being indoctrinated?

3. avatar actionphysicalman says:

Uh, he’s way too much of a narcissist to make room for another god.

4. avatar alexander says:

I don’t think that he needed to buy the Koran; it was a family hairloom.

4. avatar Chip Bennett says:

And winning a Nobel Peace Prize is easier than calling in a drone strike on a hospital.

1. avatar GusMac says:

Priceless. Thank you.

2. avatar NYC2AZ says:

That’s priceless.

Wait until he drone-strikes the NRA headquarters.

1. avatar BDub says:

Honestly, I think that would simplify and clarify things greatly.

1. avatar Mikial says:

How would that simplify and clarify things?

Because the most effective pro-Second Amendment lobbying group would be gone and the antis could win easily?

2. avatar MeRp says:

NRA HQ isn’t the NRA; it is just where some of the officers work. The members are the NRA. What he means by simplify and clarify things is that the whole world would then know which side is likely to resort to unreasonable violence. It would then be quite clear who is quite bad, and therefore very simple to pick sides.

3. avatar Mikial says:

THAT I can agree with. Thank you for the rational clarification.

4. avatar neiowa says:

The NRA needs to distribute the museum stock first. I’ll help with storage..

5. avatar BDub says:

@MeRp – exactly.

5. avatar Gordon Wagner says:

Err… which BATF form do I need to fill out to buy a book, again? And, being in California, I can only purchase one concealable book per month, right? Then there’s the 10-day waiting period before I can actually take possession of the book, yes? And all books need to be secured with cable locks and stowed in an approved book safe?

What this country needs to address is the issue of SECOND-HAND BOOK STORES where anyone off the street, without any kind of background check, can walk in and purchase virtually any book without so much as presenting a government-issued ID. Clear and present danger.

1. avatar IdahoPete says:

And let’s not forget about the PUBLIC libraries where you can BORROW an assault book, use it in a crime, then return it for another use by a crazed NRA member!

6. avatar Yahweh says:

LIAR.

1. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Simple. To the point. Easy to dance to. I give your response a 98….

7. avatar Joe R. says:

It is easier for a community organizer to be frauded into office, then for us to deport him.

8. avatar Steven L says:

I remember the last time I bough a book, the background check and federal forms were a pain.

1. avatar SpeleoFool says:

Is it true that in some border states, buying two or more Long Books at the same time will get you on a list? And what about the $200 tax stamp and months-long wait to buy (or write) a Long Book with fewer than 16 chapters?

1. avatar MeRp says:

Don’t forget speed-reading books. You essentially can’t even legally own that was published after 1986.

9. avatar IdahoPete says:

“… in cities across America [where] it is easier to buy a gun than buy a book.”

That would be due to the fact that all of the bookstores have gone out of business in cities full of illiterate, ignorant Democrats.

10. avatar SelousX says:

POTUS is full of poo-poo; either he’s lying or he’s woefully out of touch. No 4473 awaits me at my friendly local book store.

11. avatar Anon in CT says:

I guess in the sense of “in certain neighborhoods there is a much deeper and broader secondary market in guns than books, because of the prevailing market forces in those areas”. Oddly, those are the same areas where 110% of all registered voters pull the “D” lever.

12. avatar Chris says:

Maybe those in the low income areas should look into straw buying their books. All these hood-rats need is one person with an Amazon account, then everyone will have books.

1. avatar tdiinva (Now in Wisconsin) says:

They all have smart phones so they can give it to their straw buyer and have it anonymously loaded on their phone!.

While it might be easier to buy a book on the Southside of Chicago it is probably more dangerous. Other bangers might think you are an undercover cop and whack you.

13. avatar BDub says:

So is buying crack. Perhaps we can make it harder, perhaps even banning the purchase of crack all together.

1. avatar Cliff H says:

Perhaps if we just passed a law making the sale and possession of books illegal we could increase demand, at the cost of empowering local criminal book-selling gangs even farther.

2. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Guns, drugs, tattoos and STD-infected prostitutes are all more readily available in Obama’s home city than books, and you don’t need a credit card or an Amazon account.

14. avatar Ragnarredbeard says:

More people have died over the ideas in books than have ever died from guns. OUTLAW BOOKS!

I once tried to read “The Bell Jar” and damn near died. Does that count?

1. avatar Timmy! says:

T’was “The Hobbit” almost killed me when I tried to read it.

1. avatar Matt Richardson says:

Then blogs are obviously more your speed… Talk about literature that isn’t difficult.

2. avatar Chip Bennett says:

Indeed. Tolkien wrote The Hobbitt as a children’s story.

15. avatar Cliff H says:

I heard the results of a survey on The Patriot Channel (SiriusXM) a while back. Sorry I cannot give a citation. The subject was books in low income/minority household vs middle to upper class households of all ethnicities.

The results – the higher the economic status of the household, the more books were likely to be present and the higher the literacy rate. In low-income households books were exceptionally rare and they reported in many cases that if ANY book was to be found it was usually only a Bible.

You may draw your own conclusions as to the value of this information.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

In other news, the sky is blue.

And in low-intelligence households, most of the books are completely colored in.

3. avatar Joe R. says:

That’s why RIF was started. RIF took U.S. tax dollars and distibuted rules for radicals. RIF builds back into a frenzy every now and then. We are closely monitoring the ftards spooling up RIF here in the OK.

4. avatar Scoutino says:

Weird. Almost as if someone so dumb, that he can’t even learn to read, could not get a good job or something.

16. avatar GuyFromV says:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/qeESdln.jpg[/img]

17. avatar FlamencoD says:

It’s propaganda, obviously. It’s also false. But anything to stir the pot for the antis!

18. avatar Bob103 says:

What is worse, the one who lies or the people who endorse his lies. I am so sick of this tyrant. I am going to have a big celebration on January 20, 2017.

19. avatar Sammy^ says:

Because of you approach to education fewer people can read. And none of us can read you collage transcripts.

1. avatar Matt Richardson says:

Good thing I was eating over my bowl of chili, sh*t fell out of my mouth reading your post.

20. avatar dh34 says:

And so is getting an abortion.

In California, I have to wait 10 days to buy a firearm which has less than a .001 percent chance of being used to kill someone. Yet, no questions asked, I can get an abortion within the same day with a 100% PK.

21. avatar pg2 says:

Books are legal?

1. Books are but no magazines that have more than seven pages.

1. avatar pg2 says:

Good one!

22. avatar Another Robert says:

RF played this one exactly right. Used the Prez’s own rhetoric, conceded the point as the Prez doubtless meant it, and showed how that very point condemns the Prez as a failure.

23. avatar John says:

To anyone shocked or surprised by his comments: Where have you been hiding? I don’t know if he can tell the difference between lies and the truth, but I think I can. Nearly everything he has ever said has either been demonstrably factually wrong, misleading if true, or just a flat out lie.

24. It’s easier to buy a gun that sign up for Obamacare.

25. avatar Bob says:

He’s talking about later, after he instutes his Fahrenheit 451-esque book policies.

Once you control the arms, you control the information.

26. avatar Jim Bullock says:

Nice article, and exactly right.

Yes, many places it is easier to buy a gun than a book … illegally, for illegal stuff, I’ll bet not paying sales tax either. It’s easy to get a gun, exactly where this is most illegal. Just like drugs (but that’s a rant for another day.) There’s a market for guns in thug-ridden free-fire zones.

People looking to have a gun to keep from being assaulted are different from people looking to do the assaulting. How about we make it easier for the former, while making it harder for the latter, and one hopes, less likely for either to see a benefit in having a gun?

27. avatar nightstryke says:

Buying a book doesn’t require a NICS check, I’d hardly call it easier than buying a book.

28. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

I bet not many Obama supporters have read a book lately, let alone bought one, and not many have bought a firearm through legal avenues. So his entire remark is silly, for being outside his audience’s experience.

He gave this speech to a bunch of Hollywood clowns who think that a great book is something that they re-write to make a bad movie.

29. avatar alexander says:

Being a Progressive, Obama is looking ahead into the near future, when buying a book will require the government’s permission and registration and, of course, only approved books will be eligible for private ownership. He is just, as usual, being a little bit ahead of his time…

30. avatar JD says:

Last time I looked I couldn’t buy any gun with a click of a mouse button and have it download immediately. Sure anyone can click buy it now on a gun site but its not delivered to them directly. They still have to do all the paperwork etc required by the feds and maybe the state. I call a BIG bs on that one.

31. avatar DetroitMan says:

I’ve never had to fill out paperwork or pass a background check to buy a book. They must be doing that in New York, California, and DC now. The left can’t trust anyone with dangerous things, including books with dissenting ideas.

32. avatar CarlosT says:

Lies such as these only serve to reinforce that the gun control side can never be trusted, as if there were any doubt. When neutrals wonder why we don’t yield an inch, this is a perfect example. Anyone willing to so blatantly lie is capable of any betrayal.

33. avatar Fred says:

I suspect the president hasn’t bought a book in a while, or is thoroughly confused about that process.

34. avatar boardsnbikes says:

I get my books at the book show because of the loophole.

35. avatar gsnyder says:

Ignorance begets ignorance. Preaching to the choir. And flat-out lying. Illegal buys are not anywhere as easy as buying a book, and they would bypass the most basic of guidelines. I guess if I bought my Dad’s firearm from him or gave the family money for my deceased Grandfather’s rifle, okay, that was easy. So what? Those types of sales do not speak to any criminal movements.

36. avatar TX Gun Gal says:

The stupidest thing I’ve ever heard by this perpetual man-child president

37. avatar Galtha58 says:

Obama should be called out by everyone that cares about freedom for that comment. It is a downright lie and unmitigated propaganda. Anyone that believes that statement is brain dead and/or has NO experience buying a firearm. I can buy a book in digital or traditional formats with a few clicks on the Internet. I cannot begin to do that with a gun. Go to a gun store and go through the process with background checks and so on. Or have a gun shipped to a FFL where I basically would go through the same process as at the gun store. How can anyone be dumb enough to believe this lie ?

38. avatar Herman says:

Let me know where you can buy a gun easier that you can buy a book. I can go into any thrift shop and buy a book for 99 cents, but I know of no place that I can buy a gun for 99 cents. If you know of a place, Let me know, I want to buy some guns. I only have a bolt action rifle now, and I have a CWP and need a good hand gun to carry concealed. The bolt action 30/06 rifle is just too hard to hide.

39. avatar notalima says:

Do they sell books at 24/7 liquor stores ? (at least those not featuring ‘informative articles’).

40. avatar Mikial says:

Let’s see . . .

If you like your plan you can keep it.

Obamacare will make insurance cost about the same as a monthly cell phone bill.

Benghazi was the result of a film.

I don’t know anything about . . . .

This is just one more Obama lie and exaggeration to push his anti-American agenda.

41. avatar AJ187 says:

He’s straight up stupid! But if that’s all you have to pander to then you learn to become stupid.

42. avatar Indiana Tom says:

In some city neighborhoods it would be tough just to find a book. Of course the local denizens could not read it anyway.

43. avatar Chris T from KY says:

Micheal Savage said liberalism is a mental disorder. Our president is very very sick.

44. avatar Galtha58 says:

No, there is actually NO level on which Obama’s statement makes ANY sense at all. Sorry but even after all the ways to twist logic to make his statement make some sense it just doesn’t.

45. avatar derfel cadarn says:

In the black community, yes they are. Books are kryptonite to the BLM crowd

46. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Aw c’mon Barry didn’t mean it did he? Then again I’ve BEEN to his old sout’side hood…by golly it IS easier. Some of you fraidy cats should take a drive through VAST areas of Chiraq-especially the south and westsides. Literally NOTHING of value. Don’t you dare break down either…

47. avatar guest says:

watsa boot

48. avatar John Franco says:

What an absolute mental midget this president is. Arguably the dumbest man to ever occupy the White House. This nation has had enough of his stupidity and incompetence.

1. avatar alexander says:

I must disagree with your statement – Obama is not dumb; the proof being is that he has accomplished two important goals – became a president and destroyed much of America. The dumb are the people that adore that son of a bitch!

1. He has been successful at the difficult task of rousing more people to care about the wrong issues without giving too much rise to those that have always cared about the right issues.

49. avatar Louis Marschalko says:

Most blogs place their comments box at the top of their comments section, not at the bottom, don’t they? That saves commentators a lot of unnecessary scrolling. Could TTAG not do likewise?

50. avatar SuperG says:

I actually had hope for Obama when he first came to office. Sadly, he’s just another career politician making stupid claims while trying to steal the people’s Constitutional rights now.

1. I don’t know what he said or did to give you hope. There are a lot of career politicians but nothing like this. He never even completed one term as a Senator. What he is, is a pimp for Marxism. I still have hope that Marxist have short careers in the United States of America.

1. avatar alexander says:

“I don’t know what he said or did to give you hope.” — Why? He promised everybody everyone else’s money! Sadly, enough people bought the hope and dream that they can legally steal from others.

1. I didn’t buy it. Nobody I know with any Conservative principles fell for the hype. He told you what he was going to do. He was not as “unknown” as the press made out. I was more surprised by both elections than the OJ acquittal.

2. avatar alexander says:

The very first speach of his that I heard on the radio (he was speaking at some college in ’07) was an almost verbatim translation of Lenin. That should have been enough for anyone knowing anything about Lenin; but he was speaking at a college so, obviously, no one there knew anything about Lenin.

51. avatar BigD says:

Yeah maybe in parts of Chicago. We probably wouldn’t be having these GC debates if the bangers would pick up a book instead.

52. avatar BigDinVT says:

Must be true. I never gave one thought to buying his book but I own a few firearms.

53. Anybody that truly believes buying a gun is an idiot, background check, knowing where to buy an illegal gun, paying lots of money, somebody do a DNA check to make sure they are humans. Thomas Jefferson’s letter to James Madison on January 30, 1787 have the last word: “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” I have the right to feel safe and that includes carrying a loaded firearm. I have the right to protect myself and if you don’t like it tough $hit.
    The 2nd Amendment was put into the Constitution so the people could protect themselves from a corrupt government. No double standards put DC politicians on Obamacare and SS and take away their guns.Thanks for your support and vote.Pass the word. mrpresident2016.com

54. avatar Charlton Heston says:

Not a single dog whistle in those whole piece.. haha just kidding. Fucking racist.

55. avatar Ron Hyatt says:

The derp gets deeper every day as Jughead slides deeper into mental illness.