Director of Women and Gender Studies at College at Brockport, NY: Ban Guns!

Barbara LeSavoy (courtesy campaignforbrockport.com)

Barbara LeSavoy is the director of Women and Gender Studies at The College at Brockport, New York. She’s also an Obama supporter. In a big way. “I voted for Barack Obama. Twice,” she declares at democratsandchronicle.com. “During his 2008 presidential campaign, my two daughters, partner, and I ate every meal in our house on Obama placemats. We bought these at our local supermarket, plastic-coated, plate-sized paper rectangles with an image of his face framed by colors of the flag. While politically minded, I am not overly patriotic, so this mealtime ritual of American allegiance was odd for me. Still, we looked at the image of his face each day and we believed that he really could be the change in America.” On the gun control front, Dr. LeSavoy is slightly disenchanted with President Obama. In fact, the bleeding heart’s heart is bleeding, metaphorically speaking. Check it . . .

Today, I write this letter with a bleeding heart. I admire Obama. But he has let me down. I am disappointed because his presidency could have done more for our country, and sadly, the many taken lives who cannot read this essay. I still worry about urgent social tensions facing our nation, and I recognize their ongoing complexities in policy and legislative action. But gun violence can be averted. Can our country ever be free from senseless gun-crime?

Firearm possession should be banned in America; President Obama can orchestrate this directive. His presidency can be remembered as a remarkable turn in United States history where a progressive leader forever changed the landscape under which we live and work. This is his legacy. To establish gun control laws in America that will reduce high levels of male violence and usher in a culture of peace and civility.

Barack Obama is the president of the United States. He can change the country. He can do it today. I believe in him.

It’s a bit surprising that a university professor doesn’t know – or care about – the limitations to Presidential power as set forth by the United States Constitution, the Second Amendment of which protects Americans’ right to keep and bear arms from government infringement. Infringements like, say, banning their sale, possession or carry. But then what do I know? I’m a product of a patriarchal society whose sexist, dysfunctional culture perpetuates male dominance by mythologizing violence; raising firearms to totemic status while subverting female values and principles. Or something like that.

[h/t CW]

comments

1. avatar Brentonadams says:

Surprise!

1. avatar MIkeP says:

Not really. But calling her a “college professor” is a stretch – she’s a professor of political genital studies. A PhD of sticking genitals into politics no less! And her internal conflict of not being patriotic vs. those placemats is likewise easy to explain. No, she’s not patriotic. What she is is a fascist who is easily swept up in a cult of personality. And probably wants to initiate the use of force, through proxies in .gov, to make us all agree with her.

1. avatar CoolBreeze says:

professor of political genital studies…kinda the same thing as Monica Lewinsky was doin’. I’d bet she swings tuther way, though.

1. avatar Paul G says:

Similar, but this one is likely infatuated with Hilary, not Bill.

2. avatar IL-annoyed says:

Director of women’s and gender studies, huh…..

Men don’t need a college class to understand themselves.

1. avatar felix says:

Well look at her “field of study” with her logic I’m not surprised she couldn’t hit it out of the ball park in math or science.

2. avatar Fred says:

That class is called “History of the World”. The problem with the feminist and women’s movement is they are so preoccupied with making noise while others are making history. That might have something to do with our fundamental differences: women are drawn to community and highly communicative while men tend to base merit on actions. As it’s said in the Bible, Adam came from the earth and so men are adept at working the earth, Eve came from Adam’s rib and so women are adept at being relational and nurturing. So basically feminists are just as happy talking about changing something as actually changing it, while men don’t care to talk about changing something and just want to get it done.

2. avatar Frank Masotti says:

I guess rape and sexual assault is no big deal to these women.

1. avatar Scrubula says:

Police have no burden to protect you; they can’t be held accountable for failure to save someone. This means (legally speaking) everyone should be responsible for self protection. Of course to those on the left it’s easier to blame society for ‘creating’ rapists than to admit that self defense is not just a right, but necessary.

2. avatar anonymoose says:

Not when they consider the mere existence of males (biological or otherwise) to be “rape.”

3. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Somebody get this lady a unicorn…….STAT!

4. avatar Professor Bangity says:

I remember “debating” with someone on Twitter who looked an awful lot like that. The handle was @SistaSimone, which is pertinent because she tweets more gun photos than I do. (Don’t expect her to know what they mean, though.)

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

You and Miguel can have fun debating that level of derp. I’m still trying to figure out if she is a pure troll account or if she really is that retarded.

5. avatar Rich K. says:

I’d like to wipe my arse with Obama toilet paper…except it might give me hemorrhoids, since he’s such a big pain in the rear!

1. avatar OBlamo binLyen says:

It does leave a rash, it costs 3x as much as Charmin and doesn’t work.

6. avatar Noah says:

“I’m a product of a patriarchal society whose sexist, dysfunctional culture perpetuates male dominance by mythologizing violence; raising firearms to totemic status while subverting female values and principles. Or something like that.”

I think she’s mad because you plagiarized her doctoral thesis.

7. avatar John says:

As a graduate of this college it makes me sad to see this

1. avatar Ing says:

Don’t worry. Every college has its resident fools, and the race/class/gender/ethnic studies department is at least a relatively harmless place to keep them.

2. avatar Sc says:

I’m also a graduate of this college. I share your pain.

3. avatar readytheharpoon says:

Amen. I started my gun collection with a Mosin-Nagant M44 in my junior year at UCLA. Waited ten days to pick it up, and those were the longest ten days of my life. Last time I bought a gun in my present home state, I was out the door in about 20 minutes 🙂

You know, I kind of miss the anticipation…not enough to ever move back though.

8. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I bet you believe in the tooth fairy too…

1. avatar What about Bob says:

I’ll have you know that last night, I was the tooth fairy.

My Little girl was very pleased.

9. avatar Bryan Snyder says:

This woman is not in touch with reality, now or 7 years ago….

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

The prosecution submits as evidence Dr. Utopia’s comment,

Let the record show that Dr. Utopia believes eliminating firearms will somehow prevent males from using knives, clubs, chains, their hands and feet, hammers, etc. to attack others … clearly establishing that this woman has totally lost touch with reality. The prosecution rests.

10. avatar Ing says:

Eating dinner on some politician’s printed face isn’t what I’d call a “mealtime ritual of American allegiance.” More like partisan celebrity worship…but it’s so easy to confuse the two these days. You know, patriarchal cisnormativity or something.

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

Progressivisim is a polytheist religion… much in the tradition of the ancient Romans and Cesar, but requiring a higher level of stupidity and arrogance.

2. avatar TStew says:

Click on the link to her faculty page, take note of the international studies work she’s done in Russia, and methinks you will understand even better the type of world she longs for.

1. avatar Chris says:

Russia, the same country that does not condone her lifestyle choice.

11. avatar Andrew Lias says:

Obama place mats? I bet they say “obey” if you wear the right sunglasses!

1. avatar Heartland Patriot says:

Awesome reference!

2. avatar blahpony says:

Or get you all Rowdy.

3. avatar Jack Griffin says:

Television is for learning.

12. avatar James says:

To be a progressive is to be a totalitarian. It today’s progressives had it their way, we’d all be in some prison or executed. It’s the one way they’d be in favor of more prisons and death penalties. Sad to say, but the view us as their evil mortal enemy. We’re less than human to them and by any means necessary…………

1. avatar HP says:

Spot on. Some have even admitted as much, take a look at Bill Ayers.

2. avatar T-DOG says:

I think they are called reeducation camps.

13. avatar surlycmd says:

Sadly, another academic elitist. She is so self absorbed in her own biases, she has failed to realize or care she is a another fascist. We cannot trust someone, man or woman, who claims to know what is in our best interest.

14. avatar Dunebuggy says:

“While politically minded, I am not overly patriotic”

And here in lies the problem. Patriotism has been abolished in our culture. Even if you think there are things wrong with my country that is no reason to give up hope for it and faith in it.
    If you aren’t a patriotic to the nation who has given so much to allow you the freedoms you enjoy you should:
    1. Re-evaluate that which is important to you
    2. Find a place that fits that criteria
    3. Go there and be a productive member of society.

Thank you and have a nice day.

1. avatar ThomasR says:

Yep. The progressives despise america and everything it represents.

Personal freedom, personal responsibility, the right to KABA; being an individual and not some hive drone subservient to some “collective” good.

Yep. Proud flag waving American, I am. Still the greatest country in the world, despite the best efforts of the progressive/communist/ statist hive drones.

15. avatar TTACer says:

“We bought these at our local supermarket, plastic-coated, plate-sized paper rectangles with an image of his face framed by colors of the flag. ”

From Lenin to Hitler, Stalin to Mao, Kim Il Sung to Pol Pot, Castro to Chavez, the leftists just love the cult of personality. It is remarkable that in supposedly egalitarian regimes authority is so often hereditary. Speaking of, I would like to propose a constitutional amendment that immediate family members (children/spouses) of former presidents be barred from presidency.

1. avatar Cliff H says:

“I would like to propose a constitutional amendment that immediate family members (children/spouses) of former presidents be barred from presidency.”

I would like to propose a constitutional amendment that immediate family members (children/spouses/sons/brothers) of former presidents be barred from presidency. FIFY

Stay out the Bushes

1. avatar Tyler Durdan says:

Agreed sir, most enthusiastically

2. avatar TTACer says:

+1, forgot to include siblings. In 220 years only 44 people have held the office. Even if Hillary and Jeb are one-in-a-million, in a nation of 310 million there are 308 people just as “good”.

16. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Jeez. I’m as patriotic as the next guy. Maybe more so. But placemats with a politicians face on them?
    That, and admitting that he or she voted for the Idiot twice… She or he needs help.

17. avatar Mike says:

Voted for him twice, huh? Just goes to show that a PhD doesn’t confer intelligence. The stupid is strong with this one.

18. avatar Johannes Paulsen says:

” the many taken lives who cannot read this essay.”

Well, it’s pretty clear she doesn’t teach English.

1. avatar OBlamo binLyen says:

Those “taken lives” are officially lucky that they can’t read her drivel. Frankly I’m sorry I did. Pseudo intellectual’s are the most clueless humans on the planet IMNSHO.

19. avatar Oh, the humanities! says:

> male violence

Ban men! Do it for the children, or at least half of them!

>we looked at the image of his face each day and we believed that he really could be the change in America…to…usher in…peace and civility

Obama…as the second coming?

1. avatar TStew says:

Ban men? Men will always be needed for reproduction. So long as it isn’t like something out of the movie “Coma” I’d give serious consideration to being put out to stud!
      Then again, since I’m commenting on this page and would be found out, the chances my genes would be considered undesirable by Dr. Utopia’s perfect society are likely quite high. They’ll only keep the weak-jawed men in thick-rimmed glasses who wear scarves as fashion accessories.

20. avatar Ken says:

Ritually eating your dinner off icons of a presidential candidate’s face isn’t patriotism, it’s submission to a cult of personality. That’s one of the more un-American things I can think of. Hmmm…maybe we should laminate some copies of the Bill of Rights to use as place mats? Would that be weird?

21. avatar LKB says:

Ah, such childlike faith . . . kinda like the Obamite who was certain that if got elected he would pay for her mortgage, gas, etc.:
    Not surprising that this genius teaches a worthless pseudo-discipline at a bottom tier community college. Intelligence is obviously not a prerequisite for a position there.

22. avatar Merits says:

Her ideology is so cliche it’s boring. She doesn’t live in a bubble, more like a Kevlar sphere.

23. avatar rc says:

“t’s a bit surprising that a university professor doesn’t know – or care about – the limitations to Presidential power as set forth by the United States Constitution”

Sure, she knows all about it…she just couldn’t care less. Stalinists and Nazis are like that, you know.

24. avatar DaveL says:

Yeah, when you’re buying Obama placemats, get the ones without the red, white, and blue. That just makes it weird.

25. avatar NjGunGuy says:

The Progressives ain’t big on limits on executive power, and never have been. Just look how bad Teddy, Willy, and Frankie tore up the White House and set such a great precedent for our great and noble Executives-in-Chief.

Oh yeah, and most of the modern feminists aren’t good on guns either: https://www.lewrockwell.com/2003/11/richard-poe/guns-and-feminism/

26. avatar Grindstone says:

Now I’m sure she’s a Poe’s Law. She’s a straight-up caricature of a conservative’s stereotype of a leftist female university professor.

27. avatar Rick K says:

I know the supermarkets around Brockport. There’s no way she bought obama place mats there. I’m calling Bull$#!+. She got them off one of those websites for the chronically ugly and tragically ill-informed.

28. avatar Mark N. says:

Women and Gender Studies. That says it all. Lesbian, anti-male, and “anti-violence” studies with a hard left progressive bent, founded on the implicit premise that if only testosterone were eliminated, peace would prevail. I bet she votes for Sanders in the nominating elections, unless she is convinced that Hillary is even farther to the left (she’s not, but she wants people to believe that she is. She is anti-gun, but that is about the scope of her “progressive” credentials.)

What the heck? My comment is awaiting moderation? Since when do we have moderation here? Heck, I didn’t even use any “non-PC” words!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Something in what you wrote triggered it.

I have no idea what…

Oh, this broad. This says it all, from her page:

Courses Taught

Sex and Culture
      Honors Sex and Culture

Er, shouldn’t *some* experience be required there?

Any? Please?

1. avatar Fred says:

You know the saying, “those that can’t do teach”, right?

29. avatar actionphysicalman says:

Okay, we already know that there are crazy people out there getting paid to be crazy, but where can I get a job like that? I bet it pays way better than what I am doing now. I can be that crazy, easy.

30. avatar Libertarian says:

Go to nordkorea !

high levels of male violence

So the Director of Women and Gender Studies hates men.

This is my shocked face.

32. avatar Paul says:

Hillary will nominate her for a cabinet post. Secretary of (Re-) Education, perhaps. I have a feeling they see eye to eye on most socio-sexual issues.

33. avatar jwm says:

What The Fuck! Can I get a refund on the time I spent reading that drivel. Seriously, how has Darwin not called this retard home?

34. avatar What about Bob says:

Obama placemats. Genius. I’ll market them as diet aids and make a fortune!

As long as I don’t do anything dumb like posting my idea on the Internet…..

35. avatar Kevin says:

“Director of Women and Gender Studies”

In other words, she would be a jobless, useless tool in the private industry. She needs to be thanking god and government they created a BS program for her and her ilk to get paychecks and live as well as they do.

Schools creating degrees so kids can graduate and get jobs in other schools teaching this same crap is the equivalent of a pyramid scheme.

1. avatar Sc says:

Even more surprising is that it is mandatory to take a class in women’s studies to graduate from a Brockport. So she only has a job because students are forced to take a class in her department. Assuming this rule hasn’t changed since my time there which was not recent.

36. avatar alanstorm says:

“While politically minded, I am not overly patriotic, so this mealtime ritual of American allegiance was odd for me.”

That was as bald an admission of idiocy as I have ever heard. Juxtaposing “Obama” with “patriotic” and “American allegiance” is stating for the record that you have no idea what the latter two mean or what the former stands for.

Are we sure this isn’t a satire?

37. avatar EricB says:

Is TTAG just trying to fill space? Why post a story about a nobody that has nothing to do with anything? We all know these idiots exist already and thankfully they’re dreams will never come true.

1. avatar Silver says:

I think it’s good to remember that creatures like this exist, and are in places of even slight power, like teaching. Becoming complacent and forgetting that many, many Americans are our greatest enemies would be foolish.

That, and if fence sitters visit TTAG and see creatures like this on the anti side, it may make them think twice about being associated with them.

2. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Perhaps you underestimate the amount of damage that can be done by someone who gives lectures to students in compulsory classes, and requires their agreement with her opinions for a passing grade.

38. avatar Silver says:

This can’t possibly be a real person. She’s an amalgam of all the laughable ridiculousness associated with the looney left. She’s so far gone as to be indistinguishable from satire.

Another good example to bookmark and trot out every time liberals say they’re for freedom. This article is about banning things, destroying natural rights, and worshiping political figures like royalty. Sounds par for the course for NY.

Truly astonishing that leftists can’t fathom that the reason we’ll never have a “culture of peace and civility” is because THEY exist.

39. avatar Chris In CT says:

Repeal the 19th!

40. avatar Hannibal says:

“It’s a bit surprising that a university professor doesn’t know – or care about – the limitations to Presidential power…”

Remember, she’s not patriotic, she just has a metaphorical (?) boner for Obama. So much so that she eats off placemats bearing his face- as Orwellian a thought as I’ve had today. She may not know the limitations (Gender Studies… lol) or may just not care.

41. avatar gsnyder says:

You can’t have a discussion with a tape recorder. She runs a delay for improved rhetoric effect.

42. avatar JSJ says:

“To establish gun control laws in America that will reduce high levels of male violence”

What? She’s going to completely overlook the violent efforts of female school shooters like Brenda Spencer (she didn’t like Mondays), Laurie Dann, Jillian Spencer, Latina Williams and Amy Bishop?
    How non-empowering.

1. avatar Brian K. says:

Or, for a more heroic example, Lyudmila Pavlichenko? She killed 300 Nazis, according to Woody Guthrie

43. avatar American Made says:

Lesbian-on-Lesbian domestic violence non-existent? Not in Florida, gotta ban latex phallus’ “for the children”

Read and wince. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3159528/Florida-woman-arrested-hitting-lesbian-partner-face-dildo-domestic-dispute-police.html

44. avatar NYC2AZ says:

“Firearm possession should be banned in America; President Obama can orchestrate this directive. His presidency can be remembered as a remarkable turn in United States history where a progressive leader forever changed the landscape under which we live and work. the dumbshit who started the bloodiest conflict in American history. That would be his legacy.”

FTFY

45. avatar Jason W says:

‘sadly, the many taken lives who cannot read this essay’

If mine were one of the ‘many taken lives’ – I would want my loved ones to take some small comfort in knowing I was never subjected to her essay. As it is, I will have to find a reason to go on… somehow.

46. avatar Warlocc says:

“To establish gun control laws in America that will reduce high levels of male violence and usher in a culture of peace and civility.”

You’re just trolling us. There’s no way somebody with the IQ to spell those words thinks that guns are the sole cause of violence in the world.

Wars, death, and atrocities happened long before the invention of firearms. It happened with swords, pointed sticks, and even rocks. It’ll probably continue to happen after “guns” are ancient history and there’s some new technology for killing.

47. avatar kyle says:

This is one of those people that lives in liberal la la land where the unicorns shit rainbows. They think that the world is a beautiful place and nothing bad will happen cause they live in there no crime 9-5 bubble.

1. avatar JR_in_NC says:

“They think that the world is a beautiful place and nothing bad will happen cause they live in there no crime 9-5 bubble.”

It is even worse than that.

Their no-crime 9-5 bubble is NOT “no crime.” They just choose to ignore any crime or patterns of crime that don’t fit their narrative.

Ask the good “professor” how many rapes occurred on Gun Free Zone college campuses last year that did NOT involve a gun. Ask her how many strong armed robberies occurred in America last year. Ask her how many homicides occurred that involved no gun at all.

Cognitive Dissonance is a thing. The real world does not, CAN NOT, line up with her worldview, and that’s at least part of the root of her “discomfort” as she looks out at the world.

48. avatar justin says:

There is still hope for College students minds.

I have a friend who is taking a 1st in its kind history course at UT Arlington
    History 4388-005: Guns in U.S. History
    The Professor’s stated goal was for the students not know where he stands on the gun debate at the end of the semester.

Hope this course turns out well.

49. avatar mike says:

Gender and womens study sound like classes, not a degree. Do these people just make crap up to give themselves jobs, then they wonder why they cant find work with degrees like that.

50. avatar Wiregrass says:

Obama placemats. She picked those up at the flea market while she was shopping for her wardrobe. I guess life is fairly straightforward and simple when you begin each day automatically hating half the population. She’d hate Obama too but he’s proved to be a house broken useful idiot for her cause.

51. avatar DetroitMan says:

Another “educated” progressive shows just how far she has divorced herself from reality.

52. avatar pg2 says:

The women and gender studies department should be banned. Talk about legalized theft, in the form of fake degrees that have zero educational or work related merit.

1. The same goes for all “victim” studies programs and departments, whose sole aim is to permanently indoctrinate students with resentment and grievances toward capitalism, liberty, and everything positive about this country.

53. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

If banning guns is such an effective approach, then why stop at the general population? Why not disarm the police, the military, and all federal agents, including the Secret Service?

54. avatar Bobiojimbo says:

Nice closing paragraph.

55. avatar Joe R. says:

It’s important to hear from voices like this. It lets libtards know what I equate them with.

56. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Doubtful. Those are BCs. If your great grandmother had had those, then you wouldn’t be here.

57. avatar H says:

“Men Violence?”

So I was in the men’s room of a house of worship when I spy a formal lexan enclosed poster on the wall. It states to beware that women are capable of mental and emotional abuse.

I get that woman’s points. But going there weakens her position. It comes out like man hate.
    Men do a whole lot of jacked up stuff in this world. But you know what? They were all children born of men and women. Moms & Dads are responsible for the kind of people their children become. Don’t want your son to be an &$$ raise him to be respectful and polite to everyone and have safe gun handling skills. Same goes for daughter. Teach her to never take crap off of men or boys but to have self respect and be respectful.

So this woman’s efforts are best focused on her students who in a few years will be parents.

58. In a rational world, one might expect feminists to save some of their scorn and bile for Muslims, who actually practice the misogyny that is wrongly attributed to conservatives and gun owners. But like all leftists, they’re obliged to subordinate their alleged core “principles” for the overarching cause of destroying Western society in general and America in particular. Toward that end, leftists and Muslims are allies, and leftists never attack friends.

59. avatar Bt justice says:

Never mistake education for intelligence or wisdom.

60. avatar Jonathan O'Rourke says:

That is a special kind of stupid.

61. avatar Royal Tony says:

I’ve said it before and I will say it again. If people like this had their way we would be living in Demolition Man, as silly as a movie as that was back in the 90s. They would feminize every male, ban sex (because all male driven sex is rape omg), ban meat, all wear moumous etc. This is their fantasy land and I don’t think they even realize it. The cringes her thought process brings on have motivated me to buy a CZ-75 next week.

62. avatar Jim Bullock says:

Once again, I somehow feel the need to proclaim that the mischief that goes on in NY is Not My Fault.

63. avatar Kyle says:

Whaaat!? Cripes, where to start:

1) I can’t believe I’m doing this, but now I have to kinda-sorta defend Obama. It amazes me these liberals who complain that Obama has “let them down” on issues that he clearly has tried to do but has been hampered by the GOP. This is a perfect example. He can “organize this directive?” Lady, HE TRIED. He tried just to get universal background checks passed and the Senate killed it. There isn’t much else he can do. Doing that alone used up a lot of political capital and weakened him in his second term.

2) Gun control will magically create peace and civility? WOW.