Quote of the Day: Yep, That Probably Has Something to Do With It Edition

maxresdefault

“For me, the idea of guns on campus borders on the insane. (Maybe that’s because I teach at the University of Toronto, where not even the campus police carry guns.)” – Richard Florida in Where Guns Are Allowed on Campus [at citylab.com]

comments

1. avatar dh34 says:

So like Good Day, eh. So, yeah… Richard, I think maybe it’s time to put your big boy touque on…

Im not sure what you teach at the great white north UT, but it’s apparently not history, economics, statistics or any other fact based course.

So like take off you hoser.

1. avatar Katy says:

His Wikipedia page says social and economic theory. Sort of how social trends impact the economy.

My take is that it is a long way of saying that he teaches how to cherry-pick data to promote economic policies that may or may not be honestly supported by the data, but fit your social vision.

1. avatar dh34 says:

Another wannabe Krugman…just what the world needs.

2. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

The insane part is that statistically speaking, a licensed civilian with a weapon is half as likely to commit a violent crime than a police officer. So it probably makes sense when you think about it.

3. avatar Frank Masotti says:

This “teacher” must teach something like emotional studies.

1. avatar schernobyl says:

How to be a beta male 101
      Peeing and puking on your self 203
      Always give them what they want 205
      Rape is over in minutes death is forever 305

1. avatar dh34 says:

He’s also done a few seminars:

– Submission is the best defense
        – If you spouse truly loves you she’ll let you use her as human shield
        – Assertive appeasement in the modern age
        – the Modern Man in Canada, eh

1. avatar ColdNorth says:

What would he know about Canada? He says he teaches in Toronto.

2. avatar dh34 says:

@coldnorth. Point taken.

3. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

-Man-gina studies; past, present and future.
          -Post-Modern Douchebaggary.

2. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

He’s a professor of “Business and Creativity” at U. of Toronto. He holds a B.A. in Political Science from Rutgers and a Ph.D. in Urban Planning from Columbia.

He’s worked in academia and a think tank his entire career and has published a number of books, chapters and papers.

So basically, he’s a professional pontificator and thruster of his personal opinions on others and at their expense. Nice work if you can get it.

1. avatar dh34 says:

Ahh another petty tyrant in academia. The king of his little classroom world with no accountability for his actions or words.

2. avatar Conway Redding says:

“Nice work if you can get it.” And you can get it if you try.

4. avatar Anon in CT says:

University of Toronto is in the middle of the city. They are covered by armed members of the Toronto Police Department. It is not surprising that their campus security / meter maids aren’t armed, and a good thing given the quality of the folks they hire.

Since Canadian law has no provision for the bearing of arms for self-defense against humans, it’s not surprising that the idea of campus carry is an alien concept. Any carry by anyone not an on-duty police officer is alien. Yes, that’s right. Off duty cops have no special carry privileges either.

1. avatar John L. says:

“Off duty cops have no special carry privileges either.”

The overall situation is suboptimal, but they got this part right. How often do we read – and complain – about special carve-outs?

5. avatar neiowa says:

campus “police”? Really? Sure you don’t mean mall cops? If your campus is not arming mall cops then that is GOOD.

6. avatar Chip in Florida says:

“..For me, the idea of guns on campus borders on the insane.”

Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

“.. where not even the campus police carry guns.”

Serious question: What does the that have to do with anyone else? Why is the fact the campus police are disarmed relevant in any way? Are the criminals going to see that the campus police are disarmed and move on to some other place where the victims have a more sporting chance?

1. avatar Jim Bullock says:

“”.. where not even the campus police carry guns.”

Serious question: What does the that have to do with anyone else? Why is the fact the campus police are disarmed relevant in any way?”

Because people in designated authority, and / or identified as acting on behalf of an administrative body(*) are *more to be trusted* anyone else.

Isn’t it odd that the enforcement arm of the overlords is *more* to be trusted in their judgement, in their scope of autonomy, in their available means – guns – than “just folks.” Interesting…

Look for the assumptions – hidden premises – built into the position, and make them justify those. Never (never, never, never, never, never) accept the premise of a “question.” Never.

(*) but I repeat myself, at least in context of the contemporary political sphere in the US.

7. avatar ColdNorth says:

“For me, the idea of guns on campus borders on the insane.” But crazy, angry students with knives is a-ok, right? He’s a liar if he doesn’t acknowledge all the problems that colleges and universities in Canada have had with students coming after their teachers. I don’t expect the average Canadian to know because the media won’t report it (and the colleges cover it up), but there have been no shortage of “incidents” on campus that have required police intervention, secured office spaces and alerts.

1. avatar Five says:

That’s the thing about campus carry, it’s probably most helpful to the lecturers than to students. A given lecturer is going to have contact with far more students than any given student. Of course maybe that’s what scares lectures, the idea of their fellow faculty being armed. Seems one of the favorite pastimes of academia is trying to make the lives of other academics miserable. Not knowing who is armed might take away some of their fun.

8. avatar uncommon_sense says:

For me, the idea of unarmed female rape targets on campus borders on the insane.

9. avatar Chip Bennett says:

Is that like not being able to imagine cocaine and hookers in the mayor’s mansion?

1. avatar Chip Bennett says:

Re-phrasing, since comment editing is taking a dump again today: is that like the idea of cocaine and hookers in the governor’s mansion bordering on insane?

2. avatar dh34 says:

One of my bucket list items was to spend a weekend partying with Charlie Sheen and Rob Ford on Vegas…Hangover + Apocalypse Now + Strange Brew

10. avatar Five says:

The only time I have had a DGU was on campus. Of course I didn’t have a gun because I was on campus. But I managed to bluff that I had one and the guy backed off, cussed a bit and left. I was damn glad he bought the bluff because I was pretty sure he had a knife or screwdriver. He wasn’t a fellow student, some guy on a bicycle that was trying to pry open parking lot pay boxes at 5 in the morning.

11. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

So, their “campus police” carry chalk then? And blank reports.
    What a waste of money.

12. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I think living in a place that cold and those glasses border on insanity…

13. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

When a supposedly educated, thinking man dismisses self-defense as insane, it becomes very difficult to take his views on anything seriously.

There actually is a lot of room within the firearms topic to debate and discuss solutions. When your default position, however, is that equippping yourself to repel criminal violence insane, then he hasn’t taken the time to explore topic with any seriousness.

So the insane guy north of the border with no guns on a campus thinks that guns on campus south of the border borders on the insane.

15. avatar Seth says:

“For me, the idea of my masters letting me out of my cage borders on the insane. (Maybe that’s because I’ve lived all my life in my cage, where the government drapes a sheet over it and tells me it’s ok when I hear loud noises.)” – Richard Florida in When Subjects are Allowed Out of Their Cages.

16. avatar Dustin says:

Yeah… Being a dumbshit usually has something to do with having dumbshit opinions and doing and saying dumbshit things…

17. avatar Henry says:

Right, it’s not like he teaches at the École Polytechnique in Montreal, where he might have to think about the consequencs.