Which Gun Would You Grab: Bumblebee or Captain American Desert Eagle .50AE?

Bumblebee Desert Eagle .5AE (courtesy The Truth About Guns)

Longtime readers may remember our formerly regular feature “Which Gun Would You Grab?” Unfortunately, the gentleman who produced the series for us went on to better (i.e. paying) things. A recent visit to Houston’s Collectors Firearms inspired me to reinstate WGWYG, starting with a brace of Desert Eagles in divergent attire. I reckon the gun above is reminiscent of the Transformers transformer known as Bumblebee. Whatever could we do with it? As Captain America proclaimed, until we can close that portal, our priority’s containment! Here’s Cap’s gat. . .

Captain American Desert Eagle (courtesy The Truth About Guns)

I know: I forgot to do the “set-up.” I didn’t give you a situation in which you had to choose one of the other of these .50AE firearms. Well, I can’t think of one. Can you? Meanwhile – and that could be a very long while – grab one! Ah . . . but which?

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

Only reason I can think of to own either or both those pistols would be to wear them at a gay pride parade.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

pfffffffff … (snicker)

2. avatar Ing says:

I’m an ally, and would wear one. Preferably the Bumblebee (Cap’s gun looks too much like a toy).

I’d really rather wear my own, which nobody would mistake for a costume prop; if you’re going to freak out the prog-natives, might as well do it right. But then again, if some dweeb freaks out and some anti-2A cop goes all “you can beat the rap but not the ride,” I’d rather have them confiscate that gaudy showpiece than my trusty 9mm polymer workhorse.

3. avatar BDub says:

Open Carry for Open and Hairy. Got it.

2. avatar FedUp says:

I’d take the Captain America version, makes me nostalgic for the Nintendo game “Duck Hunt”. (yes, I know the Nintendo pistol was two tone not three color, but there is a similarity there)

3. avatar Accur81 says:

Just the thing for a home invasion / robbery. Of velociraptors I

1. avatar William Burke says:

Which were, in reality, about the size of a Labrador Retriever… but in a flock, they’re formidable as hell. For that, I’d probably want an M249.

1. There several species of velociraptor: One of them, the Utahraptor, was on the order of 20 feet from nose to tail-tip.

===|==============/ Keith DeHavelle

2. avatar Anonymoose says:

I think I would go with a Mk 48 for raptors, just to be safe.

1. avatar Hill Country Dog says:

Wasn’t the MK 48 a torpedo?

2. avatar Rambeast says:

@Hill, It is a 7.62×51 machine gun.

4. avatar Geoff PR says:

The yellow one, of course.

That red, white, and blue one is culturally insensitive to anyone who has ever been oppressed by American Imperialism and its international terroristic policies….

*snicker*

1. avatar Rick the Bear says:

I LOL-ed!

2. avatar uncommon_sense says:

And you, sir (Geoff PR), win the Intertubez for the day!

5. avatar DrewN says:

Holy @#$%. Do beat up, poorly cerakoted Deagles really sell for $2400? Do any Deagles really sell for $2500? Who in their right mind would buy a Deagle for $2500? I’d assume these are on the low end, because the only person who would pay a premium for these is the color blind, cognitively challenged 5 year old who decided to play with Dad’s gun stuff while he was gone.

1. avatar Dark Shroud says:

That seems high for standard DEagles.

The gold plated ones cost roughly $2,200.

2. avatar SuperG says:

Actually, I’ve noticed that when someone’s monetary wealth passes a certain point, their common sense decreases in direct proportion, and this becomes a “reasonable” purchase to them. In other words, the richer you get, the dumber you become.

6. avatar dph says:

Those may be two of the most hideous handguns I have ever laid eyes on. I’d pass on both.

7. avatar Dustin says:

I’d rename Bumblebee as DeWalt.

1. avatar Allan says:

I KNEW that it looked familiar. Does it come in 24 volt?

1. avatar Gunr says:

Probably only 6 volts is all they would be able to muster up for that thing.

8. avatar PatrickofOregon says:

Captain America, purely for the patriotism…. That said, they are both ugly as hell.

9. avatar PeterC says:

Feh! They’re both hideous.

10. avatar actionphysicalman says:

Those are fashion tragedies. As bad as the crap they put on catwalks.

11. avatar Rusty shakleford says:

Both ugly as hell

12. avatar Rick the Bear says:

I’ll keep my original black one .

13. avatar Dm says:

The dgu in this scenario is defending the gun from ugliness.

1. avatar Roy says:

Yeah… somebody’s gotta overpay for those guns just to save the guns from ridicule.

2. avatar Joe says:

So, how do you get a gun to shoot itself? It’s like asking your right hand to touch your right elbow.

14. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I, um, uhhh,…
    No. Just no.

15. avatar Doug McNeil says:

A shooting buddy of mine once saw a gold-plated Desert Eagle on a table at a gun show. He picked it up and said, “I wonder if it comes with a purple suit.”

1. avatar AhClem says:

My LGS has a gold one on display. Some dude ordered it and put down a deposit. Gun arrived while he was still short of cash, but he apparently paid it several visits to fondle it and take selfies. When he came in with the cash, he failed the background check. I think the price tag is $1900.00.

16. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Terrible waste of Kryon.

17. avatar Christopher says:

Bumblebee, because at least you could “fix” it pretty easily.

18. avatar samuraichatter says:

I thought the point of the WGWYG game is 2 choose between 2 different firearms. Between these 2 I would go for red, white, & blue just because the hornet looking one appears to have a crack in the grip.

19. avatar Billy-bob says:

Can you get it in cashpat?

20. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I would choose whichever one can also fire .50 Special +P rounds.

21. avatar TheYetti says:

Maybe the Captain America if the color pattern were different.

22. avatar Rusty Chains says:

If you were going to a Halloween barbecue and were wearing the costume that your brother in law that hates you and your wife insisted you wear then one of these could be your barbecue gun. Frankly I would be embarrassed to admit that I owned either of these ugly monstrosities. If someone gave me one of those, I would trade it faster than the New Jersey State Police would pull over a car with an NRA sticker!

Tough to believe anyone would pay $2500 for a gun that ugly. In fact, I would go so far as to say both of those put the U in ugly.

23. avatar Alex P says:

Either would be better than a SPAS 12, they are worthless against raptors

24. avatar lowell says:

Well, since the only reason I’d grab either is to blow my own brains out, I’m going with the Star Spangled Eyesore.

25. avatar Stinkeye says:

$2500 for a spray-painted Deagle with a cracked grip panel? Damn, I’m definitely in the wrong business. Are all the guns in that shop wildly overpriced, or is it just a “bad taste tax” for anyone who would buy one of these eyesores?

In answer to the question, if I was forced to choose, I’d close my eyes and pick one, then use it to shoot the other one to pieces. That way, there’d only be one of these abortions left in the world.

26. I think anyone looking down the barrel of a 50 cal Desert Eagle will only see the “LIGHT”. I do like the 50 cal. No double standards put the DC politicians on Obamacare and SS.Thanks for your support and vote.Pass the word. mrpresident2016.com

27. avatar Twisted Swifter says:

Do you think that you could open carry that red, white, and blue number anywhere you wanted? It looks so ridiculous that even Shannon would likely think it a toy. Of course most red-blooded Americans would carry it slung low, cowboy-style, and then carry the Bumble Bee in a Kydex ankle holster. Add a .50 AE filled bandolier, and you are ready for any occasion. I think I’ll buy both.

1. avatar styrgwillidar says:

No need for anything other than simply open carrying it. Folks would take one look, and just the smell of crazy coming off it would motivate them to stay as far away as possible.

2. avatar Scoutino says:

Ankle carry of DE? Ministry of silly walks comes to mind. 🙂

28. avatar Roy says:

The captain america paint scheme is clownish. They’d have to discount it $500 for me so I could get it repainted.

29. avatar PeterK says:

Well I wanted to pick #2 because patriotism, but it’s ugly.

Bumblebee doesn’t offend my aesthetic sense nearly as much. Though it’s still not how I’d paint it. :p

30. avatar Eric B. says:

The first thing I’d grab is a rattle can of flat black paint. Seriously, can you imagine using one of these on an intruder? The responding officers would ask for your firearm and when you present one of these they’re going to say “No really, where’s the gun you shot them with?” As they laugh in your face. If I saw these at a show or shop I would ask “Where does the bubble solution go?” Then leave and never come back.

31. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Neither-but each to his own…

32. avatar Nick says:

I like the yellow and black one. It reminds me of the color scheme on the Agency guns from Hitman:Absolution.

33. avatar Cameron b says:

Dewalt gun.

34. avatar JohnF says:

Proof of the saying, “Just because a gunsmith can do something, doesn’t mean he should!”

35. avatar justin says:

Eye Bleach is what I grab.

36. avatar Dave says:

Well ummm….since I don’t have to choose one and they cost $2450, I won’t.

37. avatar TX Gungal says:

Life is too short to carry an ugly gun. I’ll stick with my pretty gun, EAA Compact 9mm Witness Pavona for Women in Sapphire Blue w/embedded silver sparkles. For the same
    price I could have 4 Pavonas and a thousand rounds of 9mm ammo

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Your overpaying, you could get at least 2000 9mm rounds

38. avatar Allan says:

Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum would destroy destroy these on The Runway.

39. avatar achmed says:

Honestly, those look like guns that crooked cop Rich Wyant in Denver would Krylon and then mark up 200%. I’m going neither.

40. avatar J N says:

Well, if I HAVE to pick one, I will take the yellow and black. My Dad, Grandpa and Grandma all retired from Caterpillar. I am pretty sure .50 AE will do some earthmoving as well.

1. avatar Gunr says:

Yes! That’s it! The new “Caterpillar” gun! It will bury you in 6 ft. of mother earth!

41. avatar Art says:

there are some things a man just won’t(or shouldn’t) do
    owning either of them is one of those things*

*disclaimer, if it is post alien/zombie/dinosaur invasion and you find one all bets are off

42. avatar Rand says:

My thought process started out with “which one would Jeff Cooper pick?” Then my brain exploded.

43. avatar ChuckyTee says:

Neither. Only a dumbass would own a gun like this. Guns are not toys and shouldnt be made to look them. Seriously grow the fuck up or go back to cap guns.

44. avatar Noishkel says:

Well given those choices I’d rather have the Dewalt Eagle. Although neither paint job is especially appealing nor is .50 AE in general. I like Desert Eagles fine. Even had one of the old .41 Magnum models. Was my prized possession for a long while.

That said though if I really wanted another Desert Eagle to dress up like this I’d rather take a note from the movie ‘The Boondock Sainds’ and get a two toned DE with a custom little hammer and cycle on the nose of it. Loved that move! ^,,^

45. avatar John Fritz - HMFIC says:

I would hands-down pick the bumblebee!!

I would then take it out shooting. While listening to a Stryper cassette. On my Walkman. And drinking a glass of Country Time.

46. avatar Aaron says:

ugh. TTAG just jumped the shark.

47. avatar Raul Ybarra says:

Ok… the best argument for gun control I’ve ever seen on TTAG.

I need to go look at some Israeli supermodels in hope my eyes recover.

48. avatar Jason W says:

I would grab the Bumblebee – the ONLY gun that should ever be described as Captain America’s gun is the 1911 he is depicted as carrying during WW2 – anything else is a fraud!

49. avatar andrea from Italy says:

If I were to get one free of charge I wouldn’t worry about the colour.
    After all a can of Nitromors is just £8.99….