What Do You Call A Southern Californian with 100 Guns and 100k Rounds of Ammo?

guns

A man in SoCal was recently found to have 100 guns and some 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his home [not shown], and an escape tunnel (for good measure). A post at 2ndamendment.com riffed on the man’s collection. Here’s their take . . . [NOTE: TTAG apologizes for posting this material without attribution in our initial version. We were under the impression that a tipster was sending us original material. If you could help us make amends by clicking here to go to 2ndamendment.com’s home page, we’d be much obliged. Again, we’re sorry for the mistake.]

In Arizona, . .. . he’d be called “an avid gun collector.”

In Texas, . .. . he’d be called “a novice gun collector.”

In Utah, . .. .he’d be called “moderately well prepared,” but they’d probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.

In Montana, . .. .he’d be called “The neighborhood ‘Go-To’ guy.”

In Idaho, . . . he’d be called “a likely gubernatorial candidate.”

And . . . in South Dakota, . . . he’d be called “an eligible bachelor.”

comments

1. avatar 3screw says:

In soviet russia he’d be called comrade

1. avatar FlayvorOfEvil says:

In soviet russia, they would take all of his guns, execute him and share his guns equally among the government.

1. avatar Model 31 says:

You make it sound a lot like New York.

2. avatar Gordon Wagner says:

A modest collection.

3. avatar Paul53 says:

My missing best friend!

4. avatar MattG says:

Someone with more discretionary income than I probably ever will…

5. avatar Gary says:

That’s only an average of 1 case of ammo per gun. Seems like his gun collection got ahead of his ammo collection. Must have been that ammo shortage thing!

1. avatar tom12121112 says:

I’d imagine, just like most people i know with 20+ guns, he has a bunch of sks’ and AKs, a bunch of ARs, a cluster of 9mms, amd a gaggle of 45s, etc for a shared ammo pool.

2. avatar Cuteandfuzzybunniess says:

I store a lot more 556 than I do 308 or even 9 mm or shotgun shells.
      When I buy my next bolt gun In 6.5 cm I prolly will never have a 1000 rounds on hand.
      Where as for any battle rifle/ar build I would want 5k per rifle.
      Same with 44 mag for a pistol or any other odd loads one may shoot. Sure I might love that 454 catsul revolver but I’m not gonna prep 10k rounds for it( a few hundred sure).
      Now 300 blackout if I do one will be a different story.

6. avatar Jim March Simpson says:

Sometimes it’s necessary!

1. avatar Mark Lee says:

Stinks too.

2. avatar AaronW says:

Probably the only monster attack initiated by a case tumbler.

3. Mmm, mmm, MMM! Loves me some Reba!

4. avatar MAC][ says:

Haha! Nice.

5. avatar Rick the Bear says:

Nice rec room!

1. avatar LordGopu says:

Probably one of the only movies to even have a case tumbler and to actually use it. Also one of the only movies where someone actually checks for a loaded chamber even when expecting an empty gun.

7. avatar damarius ilion says:

Goes to show you how stupid and close minded politicians are when it comes to the people as a whole and our protection against the scum set out to do the every day citizen harm……. Yea I trust politicians with my life like I trust a shark not to attack…….. Jackasses

8. avatar James Igloo says:

I have not heard this story as of yet. Is there a link to the original article?

1. avatar Pascal says:

…and you will not find the link. It started off has HUMOR and then it spiraled among the gun blogs and forums. It is a setup to a joke.

1. avatar GunGeek says:

Nope – I posted several links from 2007 incident

9. avatar actionphysicalman says:

Isn’t this a 4 year old post from another blog?

10. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

Would that 72 hour involuntary commitment make him a prohibited person? Granted, an escape tunnel is not a typical feature of a suburban home, but as long as he didn’t break any laws…

1. avatar notalima says:

Hey, if I could afford an escape tunnel I’d have one too 😀 My neighbors might be upset if I popped up in their pool though…

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

I think you’d be more upset if your neighbors pool ended up in your escape tunnel.

1. avatar Wood says:

I think it would add a Bond-esque quality to the escape tunnel. Either hold you breath or stage some scuba gear. Maybe the little pen deal.

2. avatar GuyFromV says:

And hope that Archimedes’ Principle is just a rumor if the pool is even a few inches higher than your house.

3. avatar notalima says:

But if it had a steel iris valve and cyber sharks in the (now well-guarded by mind-controlled remote shark attack cyborgs) it could be a bond villain lair. 😀

Just call me Dr. OFWG.

2. avatar Stinkeye says:

It’s southern California. It’s almost 100% certain he broke at least a dozen laws digging that tunnel. He probably didn’t do an environmental impact study to make sure his tunnel didn’t disrupt the migration of an endangered vole, or any of a hundred other things that the California Department Of Making You Sad can think of to be a pain in your ass…

1. avatar neiowa says:

If the tunnel had extended under the US/Mexican border he would have been good to go.

3. avatar Jay says:

Yes, yes it would. And on top of them confiscating his property without due process of law, he’s forbidden to purchase, own, or even TOUCH a firearm for 5 years after. If he does, it’s an automatic 10 year felony.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

Fortunately in California it’s easier for a felon to acquire firearms than going the legal route….

11. avatar GreenTriumph says:

I have more omega wristwatches, pocket watches and clocks than I can count. I must be a nut too.

You should have seen me in my motorcycle phase.

12. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Someone who had enough money to MOVE from commiefornia. There’s nice weather other place too…

Move from Cali? He’s gonna need a bigger truck.

13. avatar notalima says:

Yet again glad I don’t live in Calif.

And here I thought ‘status crimes’ were against the law.

14. avatar Alexander says:

So, 100 guns is too much. The Constitution guarantees having arms (guns), but does not specify quantity. Thus, using the same logic, the First Amendment guarantees the freedom of a word, but saying more than one, certainly a hundred or more, will have you committed to a psychiatric ward. Welcome to Amerika!

15. avatar Ing says:

Awesome. That’s what I’d call a So. Californian with 100 guns and 100k rounds of ammo. Awesome.

16. avatar Stinkeye says:

The best part of that photo is the li’l pink AR in the center of all those macho tough-guy guns. Because sometimes you gotta get in touch with your sensitive side.

17. avatar notalima says:

Anyone got a link to that wall covering/built-in racks in the picture? I can use some of that yesterday.

1. avatar notalima says:

thanks, peirsonb.

1. avatar Josh says:

Pretty sure the racks in the picture are made by Gallow Technologies. Very nice but can be a pricey setup.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

So can 100 guns and 100K rounds of ammo.

18. avatar Bob102 says:

I think I would call him a former California resident.

19. avatar Fred Frendly says:

In NY, CA, CT, MA, NJ, he would be called “inmate.”

1. avatar notalima says:

or ‘corpse’.

1. avatar Fred Frendly says:

Or “right wing radical extremist Teaparty anti govt domestic terrorist.” Followed by “inmate” or “corpse.”

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

You forgot “racist misogynist”

2. avatar Rich K. says:

You forgot “White separatist”. That’s a favorite term the left likes to throw out there to justify persecuting conservatives, especially those of us who love guns…

20. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I would call him an investor.

Those firearms and ammunition will almost certainly increase in value over time as long they are in very-good/excellent condition and he maintains them. They could quite literally be his retirement nest egg.

21. avatar Billy-bob says:

Under armed?

22. avatar Pieslapper says:

Bert Gummer?

23. avatar Danny Griffin says:

Moar pics!

24. avatar uncommon_sense says:

By the way, if someone had that many firearms and ammunition and word ever got out, they would be a prime robbery target. And with that much in play, I can imagine such robbers would be the types to kill first and ask questions later. As such, I would want to have an escape tunnel as well.

25. avatar Joe R. says:

A good start.

1. avatar anaxis says:

That’s what I’d call it as well.

2. avatar Brandon says:

I was thinking good role model.

26. avatar Kyle in CT says:

All I can find about this is a series of nearly identical statements popping up on gun-related forums since 2007. No news stories. Something smells. Decent joke, but the source seems fishy.

27. avatar YaDaddy says:

I’d call him short one more gun and another 1K rounds of ammo, cuz don’t mattuh how much you got…you’re always short that amount.

28. avatar Felix says:

Well i calls him MAD……with freedom. Git’ er done

29. avatar Bill C says:

This post was lifted, almost word-for-word, from a 2ndAmendmentRight.org post four years ago: http://2ndamendmentright.org/2011/04/10/california-man-put-under-72-hour-psychiatric-observation-for-owning-100-guns/

1. avatar Bill C says:

Nice. Why post current news when you can steal old posts from someone else? But hey, as long as it drives page views, right?

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

I was unaware of this. It was emailed to us at TTAG command. Editing post now to give credit and apologize.

1. avatar Mr_Clark says:

Is that picture at the top of the story supposed to be of this man’s gun vault? It looks a lot like Battlefield Vegas’ vault:

The pink AR located below the Sten and left of the M16A1’s was what keyed me into this: http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/battlefield-vegas7.jpg

1. avatar Mr_Clark says:

Using Google Images, I found the same picture as the one at the top of the TTAG article indicating it was a Gallow Technologies gun rack system installed at Battlefield Vegas: http://joyviewer.com/media/1056778118752023685_300541964

and another posted by Gallow Technologies themselves: http://picbi.com/photo/1056721913686791171_332847820

30. avatar Five says:

Is this the guy that was put under a 72-hour psychiatric eval because he owned too many guns and then because he was under the 72-hour psychiatric eval had all his guns confiscated?

31. avatar Garrison Hall says:

In Texas he’d just be a neighbor. We’d probably talk about interconnecting tunnels as part of a neighborhood defense complex.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Or possibly discuss interlocking fields of fire?

32. avatar jon in wa says:

A rich man.
    … oh wait, in cali?
    They probably call him criminal.

33. avatar Hi Power Toter says:

This is why the mental health angle for gun control is so dangerous.

They want to disarm anyone who is “mentally ill”…but they also think that anyone too well armed IS “mentally ill”!

34. avatar GunGeek says:

Guess it’s a slow news day when 8 year old news items are resurrected. Like Brady, TTAG seems guilty of not letting facts get in the way of a good story in this instance.

75 – 185 pounds of black powder (different reports give different figures) and unregistered firearms. McKierman was removed on a psych hold because he attempted to reenter his burning house while ammo was exploding and for fighting firefighters & cops who were attempting to prevent his injury or death. “McKiernan, a retired machinist, Vietnam veteran and former Army captain.”

“Thomas McKiernan, 62, of Norco, admitted to possession of explosives, possession of an assault weapon and resisting arrest in a plea deal Tuesday that saved him from two additional assault-weapons possession charges.”

“We didn’t prosecute him for having a gun collection. We prosecuted him for storing volatile materials,” Deputy District Attorney Michael Mayman said.”

AR15 says he was facing 5 years, but released with time served, 3 years probation, and had to relinquish his firearms collection. He failed to register some after a law was passed in 2000. Wife had recently left him and McKiernan was 62 at time of incident.

My reaction if a neighbor? Sentence was about right. Someone that stores this much explosive material in a residential neighborhood under the described conditions puts my family in danger.

See http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389×546126

Google for others

35. avatar mark s. says:

No Robert , I believe in WV he would be called Mark S. and there would definitely be more than one escape tunnel and probably some booby traps .

36. avatar pres stone says:

i would call him successful.

37. avatar styrgwillidar says:

A citizen of the United States?

38. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I know a few people with collections like that.
    I call them friends and relatives…
    ?

39. In california I think, one the police found out about it, he would be called a felon.

40. avatar Chris says:

Welcome back to 2011.

41. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Hmm……I’d call him Leland Yee.

1. avatar GunGeek says:

LOL – didn’t know our CA crooked politicians received attention outside of state.

1. avatar Wood says:

Well, that one to be sure!! He exemplifies the “rules for thee, not for me” attitude that seems endemic to today’s politicians. And he’s a slap in the face to the anti-gunners nation wide! Take THAT, you freedom hating hacks. Your ranks are swelled with weenies and criminals.

42. avatar Johannes Paulsen says:

The best part about the original post at 2ndamendmentright.org, is that the first comment from 2011 is from a guy named ‘mikeb302000’. I’d almost forgotten about that guy….

43. avatar Fuque says:

Another American who embraced the underground.

44. avatar Charles Ray says:

Geographically confused.

45. avatar GaPharmD says:

In Georgia…….he would be called Uncle Bubba

46. avatar ANdrew Lias says:

Man with all the violence those guns cause the bodies must have been littered around his house like Jonestown!

47. avatar Scout Dan says:

“Eligible bachelor” indeed. There’s no way this dude’s wife would let him buy all that. God bless ya buddy!

48. avatar Sixpack70 says:

I wanted an escape tunnel in my closet as a kid because I thought it was cool. If I had the time and money I would probably make one because I still think escape tunnels are cool!

49. avatar Aaron says:

in S CA, now that he is known, I’d call him Fooked ( as the Irish say).

50. avatar SteveInCO says:

“What Do You Call A Southern Californian with 100 Guns and 100k Rounds of Ammo?”

One of about six sane people in that whole putrescent shithole of a state.

51. avatar jwm says:

OK, let me see if I have this correct. 100 guns and a hundred thousand rounds of ammo. That must weigh a metric shit ton.

Unless his escape tunnel was big enough for an 18 wheeler, what’s the point?

1. avatar LS/HD says:

Big enough for a guy who is 6’2″ is big enough.

If this situation was legit, then I would guess that a guy who has those particular guns would have a few more somewhere else. Live to fight another day.

2. avatar Danny Griffin says:

The escape tunnel was only 8′ long, just long enough to escape the house through his basement I guess.

52. avatar Out_Fang_Thief says:

The one person you won’t see in the new TV series, Fear The Walking Dead?

53. avatar thx855 says:

Selfish is what I’d call them. Spread the wealth. You know, it is better to give than to hoard.

54. avatar Preston B. says:

Someone looking for a new home.

55. avatar Louis says:

An inspiration to do likewise (Guns 60% there).

56. avatar Rick K. says:

A little light on ammo?

Seriously, was any part of the collection illegal? This is like that guy in Simi Valley, CA a couple of years ago. They took everything but couldn’t tell us what was actually illegal about it. The news guys went door to door in the neighborhood but none of the neighbors would say anything bad about it. He must have been their “go-to” guy. Actually, this description rather fits his story. I’m now wondering of it’s the same story.

57. avatar Dave says:

Thanks “For the rest of the story” GunGeek. It’s always good to know the whole truth. Still, in OK we would call him blessed and fortunate, assuming he kept his stuff stored safely. I’m guessing he ran back in the house attempting to save his “collection”? Lots of people run back in to their burning houses trying to save something they love. It is pretty easy to lose your head at times like that, especially considering the stress he was under. Who can blame the guy?

1. avatar GunGeek says:

Tough to say if owner’s behavior was reasonable or his treatment was sensible based on news reports. Charging him with a 5150 (3 day psych hold) for struggling with firefighters and cops doesn’t seem so on the surface. Imagine a parent trying to rescue a child from a burning home. But they don’t get a 5150 charge.

Was he babbling incoherently while fighting (news coverage didn’t say)? His wife’s recent departure (she left him). Plus he agreed to psychiatric evaluations as part of the 3 year probation suggests that DA and judge had serious reservations about his balance.

The man was 62 at the time. Unfortunately, I’ve encountered younger people that are clearly suffering from some type of impairment with anger issues that grow worse over time. Friends and family abandon them as they begin to spiral down.

58. American. to many different kinds of bullets in my opinion. Pick a caliber and load up. mrpresident2016.com