Defensive Gun Use of the Day: Krav Maga Edition

“A Santa Ana homeowner said he ‘had to pull the trigger’ after wrestling a gun from one of two intruders who entered his home Friday morning,” ktla.com reports. Copy that. What else are you going to do after a bad guy enters your bedroom with a gun, takes “an enormous amount of physical abuse” and keeps coming? The fact that Erickson Dumaual used the bad guy’s own gun is neither here not there, although you have to wonder why Mr. Dumaual didn’t have a gun there, by the bedside. Maybe it’s because . . .

he had seven years of Krav Maga training under his [color unspecified] belt. Even so, his counterattack wasn’t enough to stop the bad guy without an additional ballistic solution. Mr. Dumaual attributes the perp’s perspicacity to drugs – a common theory amongst self-defense trainers. It’s more likely a simple case of adrenalin. Anyway, full marks for throwing the wounded gang banger in the pool to cool his heels until the police arrived. The second bad guy’s still on the loose. I wonder if Dumaual’s tooled up after the attack. Oh wait. California.

comments

This is so sad. The poor homeowner is never gonna get that blood out of his pool.

1. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

Yeah, and you’re supposed to get a permit to even drain your pool in Cali.

2. avatar ThomasR says:

The EPA will probably list his pool as a Bio-hazard and require a special decontamination procedure that will cost the home owner a couple of hundred thousand’s in cost that his home insurance won’t cover.

2. avatar schernobyl says:

Going to get prosecuted because he tried to drown the innocent home invader…

3. avatar SquareBob says:

I wonder if he got to keep the gun that saved his life?

Oh wait. California.

4. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

“Dumaual’s tooled up after the attack. Oh wait. California.”

Not if it was less than 10 days ago.

1. avatar Bob says:

It’s actually not that difficult to buy a gun in CA. You do have to wait 10 days though, before they will let you possess it.

1. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

And there’s a long list of guns you may not legally possess, even after your rights have been infringed for the the days, and you must produce a Handgun Safety Certificate.

2. avatar Chris T from KY says:

I’m glad I left California for the US Army back in the 1980s. In Kentucky it takes 10 minutes not 10 days to purchase and walk out of a gun store with a firearm. I wonder how many rape victims will be waiting for the gun purchase to be authorized in California?

It was a homosexual legislator and former police officer Tom Ammiano who wrote the 10 day waiting period law for gun purchases in California.

5. Good on him,just to bad he didn’t shoot the bad guy in the head and end it.

6. avatar Accur81 says:

Sometimes TTAG gets a “you are helpless in a fight if you don’t have a gun” attitude. Certainly fighting with a gun is preferred, but this guy kicked some a$$ without one.

Anyways, this Californian had lots of guns before a boating mishap in the Pacific Ocean.

1. avatar JoshtheViking says:

+1 Guns are great, but mindset is key. I seem to remember seeing a video of a man in a Russian village killing a wild boar with a toilet lid. Sometimes you have got to make do with what you have.

1. avatar bolero says:

Useless w/o link to video

1. avatar JoshtheViking says:

https://youtu.be/KCnDAPCQqiA Around the 2:40 mark.

2. avatar Grindstone says:

Russia doesn’t count. They’re not normal there.

1. avatar JoshtheViking says:

That is true.

3. avatar bolero says:

Thanks and…

Vodka!!

4. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I thought it was a ceramic sink but same idea!

2. avatar Another Robert says:

Actually I had kind of the opposite thought, Accur81. Seems to me for all his fighting skills, the guy still wound up having to use a gun to save himself. How much more do those of us without seven years of martial arts training need a firearm to have the best chance against the bad guys. The antis’ dream about people defending themselves against lethal threats with ink pens and whistles is just a poor excuse for disarming potential victims.

7. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Back in the day I won a few fights and scuffles just by being stupidly strong. I could power clean 300 pounds at a wt. of 185 and threw a few guys over car hoods and a bar. NO gun ,knife,baseball bat or crowbar-and NO fear. Not so strong now-and I don’t need to find out how bad I am now…I’ll keep the gun thank you…

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

I think I’d rather know the old and decrepit you. . .

1. avatar jwm says:

No, you wouldn’t. You can survive being bounced off the hood of a car, thrown over a bar or tossed out of a strip joint by biker bouncers. Ask me how I know. You’ll have to provide proof of age before I respond.

But old farts like me and FWW won’t fight you. We have limited fight in us. We’ll just kill you and hope for a sympathetic jury.

1. avatar Gunr says:

I hear ya, I’m too old to throw a punch, but I can send a bullet your way. Muscles in my trigger finger still working fine.

2. avatar Mark N. says:

Sounds about right to me too. Even a 9 has more punch than I ever did.

3. avatar Former Water Walker says:

YEP-don’t forget Ralph!

Yeah, I’m too old to fight, but fortunately, a violent crime against me gets an enhanced penalty under MA law. The law tacks on a few years to the BG’s prison term, and Mr. Smith & Wesson over here knocks off a few years off the BG’s lifespan. Give and take. I like that.

2. avatar uncommon_sense says:

So that was you who threw me over the car!!!!

(just kidding, happy Labor Day!)

1. avatar Former Water Walker says:

THAT was in the early 1980’s-sorry if you got hurt!

8. avatar anaxis says:

Aside from building on the years of US Army Combatives training I took part in (definitely worthwhile, and got out of morning PT a couple times a week), Krav Maga and/or Systema are on my short list. Unfortunately there is a lack of Systema instructors where I live, but a Krav Maga-specific trainer just opened up shop not too long ago.

9. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Oh Lord! The second perp is “still outstanding.” Does that mean that he is great at recognizing a failed home invasion and running away? Sometimes I think that a news camera leaches away brain cells from anyone it is pointed at, and the longer the exposure the worse the problem.

10. avatar Conway Redding says:

The thug’s perspicacity? Robert Farago, don’t you mean the thug’s “persistence”? Or are you really imputing to the perp the quality of being astutely intelligent?

11. avatar jerry poparad says:

The home owner showed a tremendous amount of restraint and believe it or not was probably better off for not killing the guy. Why? Let me give you an example of what happened about 30 plus years ago. A man was driving home from work and stopped at a stop sign. He was misidentified by a home owner who previously had his lawn run over by vandals with who had the same make and color car. The Home owner opened the car door of the innocent man and started to strangle him. The car owner shot and killed the home owner. The car owner was sued by the home owners wife for “Loss of Companionship” and won in court which bankrupted the car owner for life and she got payments from him for the rest of his life not hers. Think about that before you tell people to just blow someone away even if you are in the right as anything can happen in court later on.

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. I’d rather take my chances with a jury than be strangled by the husband of some crusty old beyotch. But thanks for your concern.

2. avatar ropingdown says:

Jerry, I’ve never seen a tort verdict strictly for loss of consortium (your ‘companionship’) that would cause ‘bankruptcy for life.’ A Wrongful Death suit, on the other hand, can become very expensive to the tortfeasor. I can’t detect the tort which you think the motorist committed. No tort, no action for the loss of consortium resulting from an incident.

You seem to suggest that the unlucky motorist should have allowed his strangulation to continue. I find that bad advice. In my state you can shoot someone to stop them from violently dispossessing you of your car. Stopping them from strangling you seems an event even more deserving of an armed defense, no?

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Yeah, story seems bogus to me. Wanna provide a link? A date and some names? Didn’t think so.

3. avatar rumcrook says:

Your right. He should have let a total stranger that opened his door unexpectedly and started strangling him to death, continue to strangle him to death. That makes sense.

1. avatar jerry poparad says:

You missed the whole point of the post. But I will not try to explain it to you. I myself usually have my car door locked even in broad daylight which would have avoided the situation altogether.

4. avatar Jerrys Kid says:

Let me guess Jerry, the guy was the same one who was traveling on business and woke up in the hotel bathtub full of ice with a note taped on the mirror stating “CALL 911”. One of his kidneys was harvested by the stranger he met in the bar earlier in the evening.

1. avatar jlp says:

5. avatar Glove Fit says:

Jerry, who was the shooter’s lawyer, the Hyper Chicken Lawyer from Futurama?

12. avatar Lee Dixon says:

Depends on the state too. I know here in Ohio, Castle Doctrine protects me in my car as well as my home against civil action.

13. avatar uncommon_sense says:

What kind of television reporter dresses like that?

1. avatar Rokurota says:

He just came from Wigstock.