Not Amazon.com, Smile.Amazon.com

smile.amazon SAFFor about two years now, Amazon Smile has allowed you to select a charity or other non-profit of your choice — basically any public 501(c)(3) is available — and 0.5% of what you spend, with rare exception, is automatically donated to it. It doesn’t cost you a dime. My account has been linked to the Second Amendment Foundation since day one, but I’m not quite sure how much of the $11,858.86 total I’m personally responsible for (probably more than I’d like to admit). To start donating to the non-profit of your choice. . .

Just go to smile.amazon.com, select your charity, and use that website instead of amazon.com. It’s otherwise identical to the normal Amazon website, but the half-a-percent thing only works with the smile thrown in there. May I suggest a fine, pro-2A charity, monsieur?

comments

1. avatar DoomGuy says:

I wonder how long until they put a stop to that.

2. avatar Don from CT says:

Savvy non-profits have been using this for years.

I’m set up to donate to Comm2A.

Also, non-charity, non-profits ( 501(c)(4) )can also use smile.amazon.com to raise money.

Don

3. avatar Noishkel says:

Ehh. I’m a little hesitant to give money through that method. You can never tell when they’re suddenly change their TOS and seize all the money.

1. avatar Adam says:

You are really not giving anything. Amazon donates a portion of your bill to the selected charity. 0.5% is not much but if your buying from Amazon anyway I don’t see how it could be a bad thing.

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

Yeah I see this as completely and totally separate from donating to charity directly. I’m shopping on Amazon anyway, may as well have them send half a percent to SAF (which I’ve donated to directly, which btw is tax deductible whereas Amazon gets the deduction for the half percent).

4. avatar B Fitts says:

My Smile Account goes to the National Youth Hunting Association

5. avatar Alex says:

ive set mine to Calgun Shooting Sports Association.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Good choice. Mine’s set to SAF, but I may switch to Calguns. I think the NRA is also an option, but I might be remembering that incorrectly.

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

I’ve had mine set the the NRA Foundation for a little under 2 years.

2. avatar Robert Kennedy says:

There are many Gun rights orginazations that are Amazon Affiliates. Some are mentioned here. They receive a much larger percentage if you link to AMAZON through them..

The Smile program pays .5%. The affiliate program pays up to 8.5%.

One group has done extremely well with their Amazon Affiliate program..

2011: $2,245.45
      2012: $71,831.56
      2013: $158,469.85
      2014: $188,628.46
      2015: $ ???

1. avatar AJ187 says:

This is SAF’s affiliate link.

I keep it on a shortcut at my desktop and double click it before buying any stuff from Amazon. I buy a lot. 🙂

6. avatar Pete says:

I change who I donate to every year. For 2015 my 1% is going to FIRE.

7. avatar Paul53 says:

Wounded Warrior Project here. After 7 years as a combat medic, my daughter came out hurt.

1. avatar Omer Baker says:

Just curious, has WWP helped your daughter? I see all of the merch but I’ve never heard anything good about them, only the Gun Talk Show and how most of the money goes to salaries. Is this a worth while cause or is it an over-hyped scam?

1. avatar Paul53 says:

Daughters suggestion. Touchy subject.

2. avatar Mr Pierogie says:

I think their admin costs are about 50%, which is very high. That means the soldiers only get about 50 cents of every dollar donated. I’m sure you could find a similar charity that gives a lot more money to veterans.

1. avatar Mister Fleas says:

Yeah, and Wounded Warrior is very sketchy on the Second Amendment. Disabled American Veterans is a much better choice, and it has much lower administrative costs.

2. avatar Robert Kennedy says:

Non Profits are required to file Form 990’s

990 Finder

Learn more about the information displayed in Forms 990 and 990-PF, as well as processing errors announced by the IRS.

Your query: ( Organization Name: wounded warrior , State: , Zip: , EIN: , Fiscal Year: )

39 documents matched. 39 documents displayed. Click on the column headers to sort.

Search Again

1. avatar Robert Kennedy says:

I should have included these Form 990’s provide a lot of useful information on how non profits use their funds..

3. avatar TravisP says:

Wounded warriors is a little too sketchy for me. They seem more concerned with getting their logo on stuff than helping vwts. And its actually less than 50 cent per dollar to vets. I stick to the VFW t

1. avatar Yellow Devil says:

I prefer Fisher House over WWP myself.

8. avatar Kelly says:

I selected the Second Amendment Foundation. It has filed and won a number of 2a lawsuits here in Illinois. I would have considered the NRA, but there are multiple NRA organizations and I did not know which one to choose. I wish the NRA could make it less confusing. I realize different funds focus on advocacy, politics, education and training. However, the names are not clear.

9. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I was unaware of this. I’ll have to make that change. I usually get a couple of books a week from there as well as lots of gun stuff.

10. avatar Nick says:

There’s a Firefox plugin you can use that will automatically redirect you from http://www.amazon.com to smile.amazon.com for people like me who forget to go to the right URL every time.

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

It’s my understanding that this stopped working two years ago when the whole Smile thing began. That’s the link I used prior to that, but if I try it now I get a warning pop-up telling me that it’s normal amazon.com and it will not result in a donation to SAF, and only using the smile.amazon.com url will do that…

1. avatar Robert Kennedy says:

Jeremy S commented on Not Amazon.com, Smile.Amazon.com.
        in response to Scott in IA:
        http://www.saf.org/amazon is my bookmark.

——————————-

I used the link above..Went directly to SAF’s affiliate link..This is what was in my address bar after using link..

Notice the ** s0cc7-20 ** at the end of the url above. That is the SAF’s unique tracking ID so they will receive credit for purchases.

Please note that our software automatically adds “-20” to the end of all Associate IDs.

11. avatar gp says:

TTAG has malvertising again! Please clean up your ads!

12. avatar Len says:

how were you able to see the total dollar amount donated? i’ve been doing this since it came out but i can’t see what the org i picked has collected.

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

It just popped up one time when I went to the site and I snagged the screen grab, but I think it might be buried in the “about” pages somewhere…

13. avatar Stinkeye says:

Mine’s set up for the Revolutionary War Veterans Association. Their Project Appleseed shoots are one of the best ways to get new people involved in shooting and understanding the historical importance of the 2A.

14. avatar Nate says:

Damn! I just spent $100 and after I got the confirmation notice this email popped up! I chose the SAF, I feel like they are really making a difference, perhaps I should go donate to them or become a member, I keep putting it off.

15. avatar Brandon Combs says:

Shop42A.com will put your Amazon dollars to use far beyond what Smile does.

16. avatar Anonymous says:

Somewhere… a “divest the NRA” freedom hating statist is having a cuss fit.

17. avatar Capybara says:

Listen to Brandon, I have been using Shop42a.com for three years, it goes straight to the Calguns Foundation. Pro 2A organizations need help nationwide but nowhere is more needed than here in Commifornia.

18. avatar Rob C says:

I’ve been supporting USA Shooting since the program’s inception. Easy peasy. Supporting youth shooting sports is critical.

19. avatar Roymond says:

Mine’s currently going to JPFO.

But I do forget sometimes when I’m in a hurry — I’ll have to find that Firefox thing.

20. avatar Al says:

So…you’ve spent $2.3 million on Amazon?!

Anyway, I also use SAF or CGF when shopping at Amazon, but I shop there as little as possible. Why? My oppressive state gov gets 8.75% while my favorite 2a org gets 0.05%.

21. avatar Mike says:

WWP is very disappointing nowadays. They used to doo great things, and I’m sure they still do for some folks, but they take an awful lot off the top to do it.

Aggregated research:

22. avatar ADM says:

I use mine to funnel donations to my local animal shelter. I feel like, in the grand scheme of who gets more money, the shelter needs it more. I’m a dues-paying member of SAF already, so they get something out of me anyway.

23. avatar ahwatkins says:

I don’t need a Firefox add-on for this because I maintain my own, local HTML webpages on my own hard drive, protected by weekly backup.

My “SHOPPING.HTM” text file now contains an “Anchor” tag (lookitup if needed?) for the web location “http://saf.org/amazon” and the description “Amazon” — with the following text after the close-Anchor tag: (+pittance to S.A.F.)

That should do it all for me, provided I go to Amazon through that link instead of going to Amazon using an e-mailed URL (which is what a dumbkopf would do).