Funny or Die Lampoons NRA, Wayne LaPierre. Or Not.

Holy mother of Bill Murray, this is terrible. Not in the sense that the Funny or Die video unfairly characterizes the arguments mooted by the NRA in general or Veep Wayne LaPierre in specific. It’s terrible in the sense that it’s not funny. At all. It’s not even smirk-worthy. It’s exactly the kind of mean, mirthless “parody” you’d expect from middle schoolers – after they’d snuck out and smoked a joint. Oh how they must have laughed when they had Sheen praise his underling for his “expert marksmanship.” Saul Alinksky acolytes, the Moms Demanding Action and the haters at CSGV will adore it. But as anti-gun agitprop it’s too angry and paints with too broad a brush. Thankfully.

comments

1. avatar styrgwillidar says:

I’ve found that pretty much anything on “Funny or die”– died.

2. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Funny or die isn’t even up to the level of the Onion-and they AIN’T funny. Oh for the National Lampoon of the early 70’s…

1. avatar Colt Magnum says:

Don’t forget MAD magazine.

3. avatar AlleyF says:

That was really dumb.

4. avatar H-Dizzle says:

I actually though Sheen did a pretty good job. Obviously I don’t agree with the slant, but lighten up, Francis. It’s a parody of a guy who does merit some personal parody.

1. avatar Pete says:

I think it’s funny, in an absurd way. Not great, not as good as SNL. I don’t literally agree with the anti-NRA tone but I can put up with it for a few minutes. I lol’d at the Apocalypse Now line.

5. avatar Brentondadams says:

Die

6. avatar Clark says:

Not funny…join NRA and stick it to them…I put this link everywhere..discounted membership included with Ruger’s.. http://www.nra.org/ruger

1. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Free membership with Taurus…

1. avatar Clark says:

True..if you buy a Taurus. This Ruger link is for everyone. It’s on their website too…

7. avatar Another Robert says:

Martin Sheen is a hopelessly crack-brained lefty. He does do a good job playing amoral psychopaths in movies (The Incident, Badlands). There’s probably a lesson there.

1. avatar JR Pollock says:

You left out Greg Stillson in The Dead Zone. That was a great performance..

8. avatar GayGunOwner says:

Saul Alinsky died in 1972 – not sure what he’s “enjoying”.

Despite different views, conservatives such as Glen Beck and William F. Buckley credited Alinsky for his brilliant organizational strategies. Seems like those of us that firmly support RKBA and 2A can benefit from Alinsky’s teachings without embracing his socialist advocacy.

1. avatar DrVino says:

Amen

2. avatar Gabe Davis says:

You missed that “acolytes” part apparently.

9. avatar the ruester says:

Mr. Sheen paints a very flattering caracature of us. Bravado and balls, running the mouth, getting shot… as if that was going to sink us in the age of world star hip hop.

10. avatar Gunr says:

If I hadn’t seen it, I wouldn’t have believed it!

11. avatar Warp says:

Why did YOU shoot me?

He was talking to the man, not the gun.

Mr. Estevez, you have to find a way to make the gun shoot your character without a man doing it.

That’s a great way to prove that guns kill.

Good luck with that.

12. avatar Jon in CO says:

I thought it was funny till the latter half, when they started to attack Wayne as a man instead of the “character” of the NRA. Freedom of speech and all. Gotta let the haters hate.

13. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Funny or Die bits are usually a swing and a miss, anyway, even on uncontroversial subject matter, but this thing? They couldn’t even get the bat off their shoulder on this one.

14. avatar Pulatso says:

You know why The Clash was such a great “political message” band? 2 reasons:

1. The music carried the message, rather than the message carry the music. That is to say, take away or change the words and you still had a great song, rather than the music be set dressing for an airing of grievances.

2. They did plenty of songs that were not about a message, thus attracting fans that might not otherwise listen to a “protest band”.

This crowd doesn’t have the talent to do the first part, or the savy to do the second. Thus, this is all they can muster.

15. avatar ValleyForge77 says:

Serious?

16. avatar Erik says:

This is like watching a constipated man desperately straining on the toilet.

17. avatar Dustin says:

Be careful what you show of yourself. Some people out there are smart enough to see you for what you are when you put such hate and prejudice on display.

Funny or Die aren’t smart enough to realize they’ve exposed themselves…

I’ve watched only a few of their bits. A few were mildly chuckle-worthy.

For those so wrapped up in their hate and prejudice, freedom of speech lets them shoot themselves in the foot. Pun intended.

18. avatar Researcher says:

Martin Sheen has not aged well. Clearly he thinks he is funny, but it is just self indulgent and tragic.

19. avatar Vitsaus says:

Yeah, any time I see “Funny or Die” as the creative source, I know I can skip it. They’ve never made me laugh, not once. I still laugh at farts too.

20. avatar Timmy o toole says:

All the news media outlets, celebrities are really going all out this time around. All you hear on the news is assault this shooting that.

21. avatar Chris T from KY says:

White liberals never change. Guns for them and their private armed security. No guns for you. No guns for law abiding black people in poor area’s. They are racist pigs.

22. avatar beerwhisperer says:

In a way, I almost feel sorry for Mr. Sheen. The performance was pathetic.

23. avatar NikonMikon says:

They are basically saying Wayne LaPierre should be shot multiple times. How do they not see that this is 1000% f’d up? I hate how once again the media perpetuates the myth that there’s a “safe” place to be shot. You shoot someone in the leg where he was shot and that person would be unconscious in 30 seconds and will be cold dead in under 5 minutes because that’s right where the femoral artery is. I hate everything about this. It plays on emotional response and like Warp said above: “Why did YOU shoot me? He was talking to the man, not the gun.”

24. avatar gsnyder says:

It’s propaganda and for this reason I find it unacceptable.

25. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Funny or die was dead to me a long time ago.

26. avatar Roymond says:

He should change his name from Martin Sheen to Martin smear — he’s definitely lost his shine.