GLOCK 43 Magazine Catch Problem Solved

Back in May, I wrote about a problem I had with my new GLOCK 43: the magazines would intermittently hang-up when I tried to insert them. A little bit of time with a Dremel didn’t completely resolve the issue at first, but a few trips to the range, and a lot of insertion/re-insertions of magazines during drills later and there’s no issue. Really, there hasn’t been any problem in months. For the record, GLOCK’s customer service . . .

after hearing my concerns, sent me a new magazine catch. I haven’t bothered installing it, as by the time it arrived via U.S. Mail, the problem had gone away, and I operate under the assumption that there’s no point in fixing something that isn’t broken anymore.

Which is good — the GLOCK 43 has been riding on my hip more or less nonstop since then, replacing the GLOCK 19 and Kahr P380. I’m planning on taking a defensive tactics class with it this fall, so we’ll see how it runs under more stress, but other than this one hang-up, it’s been a solid performer.

So…GLOCKs. Even when they’re not perfect, they fix themselves.

DISCLAIMER: The above is an opinion piece; it is not legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship in any sense. If you need legal advice in any matter, you are strongly urged to hire and consult your own counsel. This post is entirely my own, and does not represent the positions, opinions, or strategies of my firm or clients.

comments

1. avatar Gman says:

A chink in the Perfection armor? Say it ain’t so.

1. avatar ADAM says:

I cant decide what more entertaining Glock fan boys or the guys that love bashing Glock.

1. The GLOCK haters voice their opinions more often.
        Confidence is soft spoken.
        I don’t love GLOCK, I just love my GLOCK.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

all ‘problems’ with GLOCK can be corrected by replacing the part that’s listed in the owner’s manual as “firearm”.

Luckily, every other gun manufacturer makes this replacement part. I prefer Beretta ’96 (’cause people think it’s “snappy”). Or Sig Sauer P226 (in the same caliber for the same reason).

2. avatar Gman says:

Adam – I have absolutely nothing against Glocks. If you like black plastic bricks that spew lead all day long then Glock is your go to weapon. I own a 17 and love shooting it, but I would never sleep with it. Now my Sigs, I wash them off all the time.

2. avatar C.Rogers says:

Loving them and bashing them are both great fun.

3. avatar John says:

I saw a video about this exact issue. He could consistently duplicate the problem by inserting the magazine at a particular orientation. My guess is the problem isn’t really fixed, you’ve just (subconsciously) adjusted your behavior to hide the problem.

1. avatar Gman says:

Maybe inserting the mag with the bullets pointed in the same direction as the barrel would work better. -:)

4. avatar SD3 says:

‘PROBLEM’?!? Surely, you must be joking……Ha-ha?

5. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Ok, so…
    1) Does this mean that Glock has changed the design of the magazine catch on the 43, and new guns are now manufactured with the improved version?
    2) If so, how do we know if we’re getting the improved version or the original?
    3) What is the starting serial number of the improved version?

Call me demanding, but this blog would be more useful if it had more actual, useful information and less anecdotes about people who modify their own guns.

6. avatar Removed_californian says:

The glock wasn’t having failures, you obviously were not using it correctly. Glocks don’t have issues of any kind, it’s only their operators. /sarc.

1. avatar Timmy! says:

So you’re saying he was holding his i-Gun wrong?

7. avatar J O E says:

The Smith & Wesson Sigma 9mm has the same problem. Had to dremmel the mag at a 40degree angle to make it slide properly.

8. avatar Claymore says:

I got one of the first G-43s in April. It works great.

That being said, why would you take a Dremel to a new, under warranty, gun. Just send it back to Smyrna.

1. avatar Johannes Paulsen says:

Not to the gun, but to the magazine. If that makes a difference.

9. avatar Joe ker says:

Glock. Yay. Gets me about as excited as a naked fat chick

1. Yeah, I’m the same way about hammers and screwdrivers.

1. avatar Joe ker says:

Point taken. Ultimately they are tools, and don’t need to get ‘excited’ about them. That’s not their purpose. And they are certainly damn reliable, durable, low maintenance tools at that. Just don’t really enjoy them as I do say a fine revolver, or my CZ’s, or a good 1911. Hence the fat chick reference. Can still do what you gotta do, but not exactly an exciting experience like say a 120 lb hottie blonde. (sorry for being a bit crude there, but I think you get the point).

1. If I were rich, I would own some sexy toys. But I am not so I stick with the basics and spend more on ammo.

2. avatar CarlosT says:

It’s not like CZs are expensive or something. They’re in exactly the same price range as Glocks.

10. avatar Accur81 says:

I’m glad to hear that since I still haven’t made a subcompact 9mm / .380 purchase. The G43 could be a good gun for the wife’s CCW if she can find the time to take the class. It’s nice and light with a decent sight radius.

Shoot often and hard enough and you’ll wear out mag springs and / or beat up feed lips. That’s what was causing failures in my old Glock 35. The range guy was convinced I was “limp writing.” Just with that gun, somehow, and not with any others. I won’t be taking advice from that range guy anymore.

11. avatar Red In Texas says:

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw a GLOCK malfunction one time.

1. avatar David PA/NJ says:

I’ve been shooting a lot of idpa in the last two years and have seen glocks stop more than anything else.

1. avatar Red In Texas says:

I was making a funny.

This probably explains why you see GLOCKs stop the most.

If 60% of the cars on the road were Chevys, I could say I saw them break the most too. 😀

2. avatar Accur81 says:

For me its be dirty DGI AR-15s, then 1911s. Competition Glocks probably have a bunch of mods which make reliability comparisons moots.

3. avatar Middleagedmama says:

A lot of people think, “It’s a Glock, it doesn’t need to be cleaned because I hear there’s a Glock at the factory that has been fired 100,000 times without being cleaned – works every time.” I thought that at one point in time. A weekend training at TDI in Ohio changed my mind when one trainer said to respect the gun, clean it. That was eye opening. No matter what the manufacturer – Respect the gun, clean it after shooting, keep it lubed, and change all the springs; mag, recoil, etc. regularly, and you will rarely have a problem. It’s a piece of equipment – take care of it and it will serve you well. Yes, there are recalls on some guns. Some guns take 500 rounds or so to break in.

12. avatar TwinReverb says:

Mine never had the problem. Sometimes it would feel like it would get caught up, but it didn’t.

Also, Glock also sent me a brand new mag catch after my knife modification didn’t fix the problem I didn’t have.

So yeah, they’re awesome for customer service. I’m still carrying my G43. In fact, it’s on me right now.

13. avatar Dustin says:

I solved mine by getting a Taurus PT709 and PT740 years in advance.