New From Walther Arms: Walther PPQ in .45ACP

The Walther PPQ has developed quite a following thanks to its great ergonomics and superior trigger. Our own Joe Grine was certainly impressed. The only thing some people long for was a version that shot big boy bullets. Well Walther heard those cries and just announced the PPQ in .45ACP. It’s has pretty much all the PPQ M2’s features in the big boy caliber which should make it pretty popular as a duty gun. MSRP will be $699 and the gun will start shipping in the fall. Is this your new bedside pistol?

comments

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Ok… I was debating upgrading my P99 to a PPQ, but this 45 ACP version just made the decision for me.

2. avatar Anon in CT says:

Just. Take. My. Money. Already.

I’ll buy one, but I’ll wait until after the recall.

1. avatar Vitsaus says:

Hah! Beat me to it! But yes, after that first batch gets recalled I would be interested as well. And of course with the M1 mag release because why bother otherwise.

2. avatar AdamTA1 says:

You don’t want the free mag you’ll get from the recall?

4. avatar Bill Kohnke says:

Wow, I’m impressed. Walther made a gun that’s uglier than a Glock. Well, at least it’s not as ugly as a Hi Point.

1. avatar B says:

Its not the best looking gun, especially that slide from the left, but it feels freaking amazing in the hand.

5. avatar Bob H says:

Bedside table? Shoot I would carry this sucker if it’s really the same size as the 9mm version. I’m guessing from the bullets on the table that it’s 9 + 1 capacity?

1. avatar Bob H says:

Answered my own questions with Google-fu it’s bigger than the 9mm and longer but it’s 12+1 capacity in a gun that will be about the size of a vp9.

6. avatar Tex300BLK says:

oh my god oh my god oh my god yesssssssss!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“oh my god oh my god oh my god yesssssssss!”

That’s what she said…

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

Not to Tex300, she didn’t.

😉

1. avatar Tex300BLK says:

Since when did your mom start telling you about what she does on weekends?

2. avatar JWM says:

Tex, laffed da phuck out loud. Good on you.

3. avatar Jeremy S says:

My mom’s dead; that’s not funny.

4. avatar Jeremy S says:

Sorry, no… looks like she’s a-okay after all.

5. avatar Geoff PR says:

‘Not to Tex300, she didn’t.”

Now that was low…

(Funny as hell, but low)

*snicker*

7. avatar Adam says:

I have only shot a Walther one time. A friend let me try his out at the range years ago. It was so bad I never gave any other Walther a chance since then. Maybe it’s time I give it another go.

1. avatar Anner says:

I had a similar experience with a P99. The terrible trigger overshadowed any merit the pistol had.

Then I tried a PPQ M2, and walthers sins were forgiven. It’s the best striker-fired trigger I’ve ever shot, better than a polished and lightened glock. The reset is 1911-short. The grip is perfectly molded to my hand. It’s my default nightstand gun.

Now they introduce a .45 and my 9mm may be finding a new home…

2. avatar Vhyrus says:

I am genuinely curious which model walther this was.

3. avatar DrPF says:

Never found a bad one. And they are all awesome in the hand

8. avatar Pete Zaitcev says:

I was unable to live with the spoon mag release of PPQ, although I tried. It just doesn’t work for me, although I know a number of people who have no problem operating it. It would be nice if Walther distributed some sort of official tutorial for new owners, perhaps a set of instructions for people with different anathomy.

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

The M2s are a traditional thumb mag release.

9. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Yes, now one can take out the bad guy’s soul as opposed to just……. killing him.

Thank you Walter.
    /Sarc.

10. avatar Former Water Walker says:

I have never shot(and rarely see) a Walther-exactly 1 out of 145 selling on Gunbroker(ppq). I think they have PR problems way beyond fixing by a 45…

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

Yeah, I’d say they do have a PR and image problem. The PPQs don’t seem to sell particularly well despite being absolutely top notch in every possible way (subjective impression of aesthetics aside). Apparently putting the occasional Walther in 007’s hands isn’t enough to convince the gun buying public that they’re good guns.

1. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Yeah Jeremy-and I can get a serviceable Taurus 45 24/7 for less than half of the Walther(which I seldom see)-que the Taurus haters…

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

Well considering the massive recall it’s a little hard to be pro-Taurus at this particular moment. At any rate, “serviceable” by way of deciding what is or is not a good gun leaves a lot to be desired, because by your same argument you should have a perfectly serviceable Hi-Point at half the cost of the Taurus, not a Taurus at half the cost of a Walther. By any metric other than MSRP, the PPQ is simply a better gun.

…And if you think I’m biased, I’ve been carrying a Taurus in my pocket all day long. My TCP sees regular rotation during the summer, but sometimes I carry a Beretta (Nano), sometimes an HK (P7), and sometimes a GLOCK (20), and a CZ is my go-to for target shooting and competition. So…not exactly a gun brand groupie here.

2. avatar JWM says:

JS, how do you keep your pants up when you carry that H&K? I got a buddy that has one. Marvelous piece of kit. But it’s an anvil.

2. avatar Former Water Walker says:

The Taurus recall that’s not a recall…call ’em up and ask them if you don’t believe me. NONE of the G2’s on recall either…whatever my next gun will be a Taurus. And I’ve had that Hi-point which never ran at all. That’s my logic -my Taurus’ have been 4 for 4…

11. avatar John McPherson says:

Is it April already? Good one, I almost believed that someone has made a handgun that functions on ugly alone.

12. avatar T C Knight says:

Now. For a PPK, all steel, in 9mm! THAT would sell me.

1. avatar Sian says:

A 2lb sorta-pocket 9mm that still kicks like a mule despite its heft and bites your hand and has a bad frame-mounted safety and a long, super-heavy trigger and still only holds 6+1?

How about no.

13. avatar Justin A says:

I’ve got a S&W model 99 in .45acp and while not a true Walther it is a clone of the P99, from when S&W was partnered with Walther as the US distributor for their products. My understanding was that Walther had no interest in the .45acp as it is mostly a U.S. centric round and not as common elsewhere. I’m personally not too fond of the PPQ series but I’ve been spoiled by a striker fired weapon with a decocker.

Respectfully Submitted

14. avatar Merits says:

I love my 9mm PPQ M2. It’s a light, accurate, and fast shooter. Plus, I think it’s pretty.

1. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Have to second that….mine is my primary carry gun replacing the Glock 19 because I shoot it much better than the 19. Yeah HK makes what looks like a clone of the PPQ but is way over priced. We all know what HK thinks of people who buy their stuff (Because you suck. And we hate you).

Might have to look at the 45 instead of the long slide PPQ I was thinking about.

15. avatar Dryw says:

As a dyed-in-the-wool fan and EDC carrier of the PPQ 9×19 (M1, paddle release); I sincerely want this .45 model to be ridiculously successful.

Not that I will own one personally. But in the hope it will demonstrate a market and light a fire under HK to move forward on the VP45.

16. avatar Lone Ranger says:

You couldn’t tell the PPQ has any following at all considering the lack of holsters for the 9mm model I’ve had sitting in a safe sans tactical holster for the past six months.

17. avatar JWM says:

Only experience with a Walther where the older PP series, war trophy p38s and I bought a brand new p22 as a plinker trail gun.

Hated that p22. Liked the pp and ppk. Indifferent to the p38s on the whole.

1. avatar GP1935 says:

The P22 is made by Umarex in Arnsburg, and does not compare to real Walthers. The airgun guys made it, not the Walther employees.

1. avatar JWM says:

It was very ammo picky and a beast to put back together after cleaning.

18. avatar MG says:

Take my money! I’d love to see the long slide (5″ barrel) version of this too.

1. avatar Timmy! says:

Yes! What MG said… every word of it.

19. avatar Virginia Gunner says:

The PPQ is the one handgun I have handled with a trigger that both impresses me and makes me a bit nervous. I would love to be able to justify the price for one as a range toy only, but that go pedal is just a little too short and sweet for me to be comfortable for CCW. As a bedside gun, even more so. I feel like the PPQ trigger is flirting with 1911-cocked-but-not-locked territory. Like Leghorn, I would prefer a little extra margin of error for the gun I might have to grab in a just-woken-up stupor.

20. avatar syms says:

And here I was about to get a FNX45, I do love my PPQ M2 an awful lot though. Maybe sell one of my PPQ 9s to get a PPQ 45, and still buy the FNX45 😀

1. avatar Tex300BLK says:

As an FNX45 owner and a fellow PPQ 45 luster… do everything you can to get both.

21. avatar Jason says:

The 11 round .40 S&W PPQ just became obsolete if the PPQ 45 is going to be 12 round.

22. avatar Dave says:

I just got a PPQ M2 last month and I love it; simply an amazingly comfortable and accurate gun. I’ll be looking forward to the .45 version.

23. avatar Fred Frendly says:

Big AND ugly. Thats a twofer.

24. avatar Rick says:

I’ve had my 9mm PPQ for a year and four months! It’s a M2! I’ve put about 2000 rounds though it and is my everyday conceal carry using the Alien Tuck 3.0 holster! The .45, wow, I know what I want for Christmas!