OMG! A Gun Emoji! On My iPhone! OMG!

We checked the calendar and tomorrow is August 1, not April 1. So apparently New Yorkers Against Gun Violence is actually serious about their #DisarmTheiPhone hashtag campaign. Who? You may remember NYAGV as the geniuses behind the fake New York City gun store stunt back in March. On the heels of that PR triumph, now they want the world to know there’s something we all can “do” about gun violence. Even if what they want you to “do” is nothing more than a useless, feel-good symbolic gesture. Which, when you think about it, applies to 97.4% of the civilian disarmament community’s efforts . . .

Unknown

So what’s the point? NYAGV wants you to tweet your disapproval of that little revolver’s presence in your smart phone so Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, feels the heat of public disapproval and zaps the gun icon on some subsequent iPhone software update. Because, after all, it’s the gun we all carry.  #justshootme

comments

1. avatar Mk10108 says:

How many guns did NYAG take away this year…ZERO….how many bought guns this year…over A MILLION.

Sooooo. NYAG…SCREW YOUSZ.

2. avatar Lone Ranger says:

These same people probably have zero problems with the guns that are shown in nearly every television program… the guns in games, etc.

In other words, they have zero credibility.

Come to think of it, if there was a Mohammed Emoji they would probably have a fit about that too as being insensitive.

3. avatar Alan Longnecker says:

#GiveUsMohammedEmoji

4. avatar Bobiojimbo says:

This is why twitter account is inactive and collecting digital dust.

5. avatar AlanInFL says:

What no Glock emoji

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

You’d have to be pretty careful not to make it look too much like a Glock or Gaston’s lawyers would probably be all up your ass.

6. avatar Gunr says:

Replace the gat with a couple of Tampons! When people bitch, just tell ’em it’s a couple of White Owl cigars.

7. avatar Spectre_USA says:

Well, lookie there, I never use the danged things, but on the same page, objects and symbols,
    there is a bomb with a smoldering fuse, a syringe dripping blood, and smoking cigarette!

OH THE HUGE-MANATEE!

Some people just go way out of their way to be offended…

8. avatar PeterW says:

#iDon’tBuyFascistAppleProducts

9. avatar PeterC says:

Almost makes me want to buy a smartphone. I said “almost.”

1. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

Come join us…everything floats with a smart phone…

1. avatar M60E3 says:

“We’re the (brain) dead kids..

I do very much hope most of you here get the reference..

10. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Too much stupid…. my head hurts…

11. avatar TwinReverb says:

So what? The emoji don’t kill anyone or make anyone want to kill anyone.

But if they remove it from the iPhone, hey, just one more reason to use an Android. 🙂

12. avatar Dustin says:

That’s why iPhones aren’t really smart phones… The stupidest people seem to have them… It’s kinda like Glock…

And before the flametrolls who can’t read get their knickers in a twist; I didn’t say everyone who has an iPhone is stupid. The product is intended to appeal to the stupid and irresponsible. Smart people might end up with one here and there even though that’s not the target demographic. Same for the Glock comment… These are products that seem to attract a certain kind of people, that doesn’t mean all owners of such products are stupid. It’s just an eyebrow-raiser.

If somebody owned both an iPhone and a Glock, I’d probably not bother checking to see if they were one of the exceptions to the rule…

1. avatar Gunr says:

Take away their Glock, and get them a Jennings.

2. avatar Katy says:

Curious to know more about why you feel that way. Both my Glock and my iPhone are simple tools that require little to no maintenance to remain in peak working condition. If you know what you are doing, you can fiddle with them, though, to do a lot of tinkering.

In the either case, I’ve never had a reason to question the reliability or worry if it would do its thing. Isn’t that something we all want?

1. avatar JR_in_NC says:

I think part of the point is that “reliability with little or no maintenance” is at best an illusion.

Engineering is all about compromise. When a complex machine is engineered to be accessible to those unskilled in the use and proper maintenance of, one HAS to ask what compromises were made to make it so.

The complete and total debacle that is Microsoft speaks volumes to this. MS’s “engineering” of computer OS’s has effectively stalled computer advancement for at least 20 years now. OS’s in place prior to Windows 95 (the first real “for the masses” version) were FAR more advanced than anything MS has produced since.

That’s just one example. The list of similar examples…in both electronics and mechanic systems…is huge.

(PS: Point being MS is a marketing company, not an engineering company, no matter what their MARKETING has people believe).

2. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

I think he’s commenting on the fan boy mentality that many have towards those products.

13. avatar BrickFrog says:

This is the second post today with the “OMG!” bookends on the title…
    I know it’s only the internet, but come on already. You can write better than this.

1. avatar JasonM says:

OMG! He’s right! OMG!

I suggested “Holy Sh1t! Holy Sh1t! ” But I was voted down.

2. avatar Swarf says:

It’s a thing here.

It’s reached the end of its useful life, but RF still seems to like it, so there you go.

See also: “make the jump.”

14. avatar NYC2AZ says:

Just when you thought Peak Derp had been achieved, another derptastic slacktivism hashtag to prove there is no limit to their derp.

1. avatar Dustin says:

Derp Powers, activate! Form of: DERPATRON!!

I swear, it happened in my head as I read it…

2. avatar Stinkeye says:

Peak derp is a myth. Derp supplies are virtually infinite. If we could find a way to convert stupidity to energy, we could solve most of the Earth’s problems almost overnight.

1. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

Or accidentally vaporize the earth. The stuff seems super volatile to me.

15. avatar TwinReverb says:

Better get rid of that ice cream emoji too, that might make people fat 🙂

16. avatar SkyMan77 says:

This is a shining example of just how warped these people are… They’re at war with reality; symbolism and the corruption of language are there weapons.

We own the high ground though as the truth is (and will continue to be) on our side… Carry on good people of the Gun…

1. avatar SkyMan77 says:

Their weapons… apologies didn’t get that one in time…

17. avatar Siris says:

I’m still wiring on the AR emoji
    Revolvers belong in museums and ranges for fun.
    Who carries 6 rounds anymore when the XDM holds 19 9mm
    16 .40?

1. avatar Dustin says:

“Lord help us if they found a rebel flag emoji.. That might cause mass spontaneous combustion of heads…”

Sound like a great reason to create one.

2. avatar TX Gun Gal says:

Semi Auto pistols are for range fun. My Ruger LCR .38 loaded with hollowpoint rounds is my EDC/home carry. Why? because never had it stove pipe, FTF, and damn accurate with it!

1. avatar David B says:

I had an LCR jam on me. Not the gun’s fault (cheap Turkish reloads), but it was an eye opener for me. Also had my S&W model 28 go belly up on me once. Something had messed up internally. All were fixable but revolvers aren’t always perfection. In the case of the Smith, I had just used it to clear the house when I heard a bump in the night. Scratch that: my wife heard a bump in the night and she thought that she should awaken me out of a great sleep and completely mess with my circadian rhythm. After clearing the house, I realized that my heater wasn’t heating.

18. avatar JR Pollock says:

They need a ‘hand clutching pearls’ emoji…

19. avatar ANdrew Lias says:

The semi auto version of this emoji was limited to 10 round emoji magazines, then it was registered then it was confiscated. It was pretty easy actually since they’re “smart” and they have a distinct “fingerprinting” added at the factory and tracking devices built in.

20. avatar KMc says:

That idea made me throw up a bit in my mouth….

21. avatar Jim R says:

No doubt in my mind Apple will pull it if they make even a moderate fuss.

22. avatar Bort says:

The pistol emoji is part of the official Unicode spec (http://www.unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html#1f52b), so their beef is with the Unicode Consortium, not Apple.

1. avatar JasonM says:

Apple could change how they display that character in their character set. But I doubt they will.

1. avatar Bort says:

Microsoft uses a ray gun. Incidentally, Apple has yet to implement U+1F595, “reversed hand with middle finger extended”.

23. avatar JasonM says:

I just used that emoji a couple days ago.

Next they’ll ask to remove words like “gun” and “firearm” from the wiktionary, articles on wikipedia, and videos on youtube. The internet equivalent of Newspeak.
    I’m sure the Recdep will rectify all the websites, and Miniluv will joycamp the oldthinks who don’t bellyfeel this goodthink.

24. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Guess next victim wil be Android as it has 1911? and it
    Has sh!t ? . For the children™

25. avatar WRH says:

????????????????
    Ha ha ha…. Android y’all….

26. avatar Grindstone says:

How about we tweet our disapproval that there isn’t a semi-auto pistol emoji?

1. avatar jlottmc says:

My LG has one, looks like a Tokorev variant. This made me go looking for stupid things my phone has and does. Why do we care again?

27. avatar Galtha58 says:

This is one of the stupidest ideas I have seen so far in the anti-gun movement. They must be very desperate.

1. avatar SmoogleStein says:

What else would you expect from the most vile, ignorant and emotionally immature people in modern times?

28. avatar Gabe says:

Imagine the outrage if there was a dead lion emoji

29. avatar American says:

This is a joke, mocking the disarmament idiots, right?

30. avatar SmoogleStein says:

What about the knife and baseball bat emoji or do they think the only way to stop a beating heart is by ballistic means?

31. avatar GRDrane says:

That start a ArmTheIPhone campaign. I want a AK,AR, and Glock emoji!! Who uses a revolver these days? (Sarcasm, I own a Airlight.)

32. avatar James St. John says:

??????

33. avatar Jon says:

The revolver is the only emoji i use. They should add a 1911, AR 15 , and AK 47.??????????????????????????????????????????????????