DIY Force-On-Force Training: Good Idea?

By Brandon via concealednation.org

Instagram user Baret Fawbush posted the above (and below) video a few days ago that shows his use of fireworks … being shot directly at him … in order to elevate his stress levels while shooting. Some will say he’s nuts while others will praise the brilliance in this. I’m somewhere in between, since he is wearing eye and ear protection. There isn’t much to stop him from taking a firework right to the face, but it sure does seem to be doing what it’s intended to do: raise your stress level while trying to get rounds on target . . .

What do you think? Nuts or brilliant? Is this something you’d ever try?

PS: We don’t recommend anyone trying this.

comments

1. avatar Nate says:

As a reformed pyro I say its genius! 😀

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

And who is reformed LOL
      While yes this specific method is dangerous the idea is brilliant. You could use an automated paint ball or Airsoft system, with proper equipment of course.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Greg Block has such a system. It’s a scenario on a screen. Trainees armed with laser / air pistols acting as cops, CCW holders, or security personnel get played a number of interactive scenarios. The scenario plays out, and role players on screen can attack or submit to authority. A paintball cannon, mounted above the screen, shoots .68 caliber nylon paintballs at about 250 FPS. It simulates the role players’ shooting back.

The scenarios are filmed. Everything from reaction time to accuracy of hits is recorded. It’s a lot harder to be accurate when dodging high speed rubber balls. The paintball gun is run by a separate trainer, and she is very accurate with the thing.

2. avatar mike says:

This is really sad.

Why, oh why, did you have to reform?

2. avatar TT says:

When I was a kid, we would use our toy rifles to launch bottle rockets at each other. If we didn’t have bottle rockets, we just shot each other with our bb guns. I guess we were doing “force on force training” without realizing it.

1. avatar Tominator says:

LOL…me too! I ain’t afraid of fireworks, though this is a good way to get noise, fire and smoke into a defensive equation. I applaud the effort!

2. avatar What about Bob says:

We did the same thing. Whistling bottle rockets and BB gun fights. Thought we were smart wearing goggles and winter jackets. Until one guy lost half his front tooth from a BB. Dentist found the projectile lodged in his mustache lip the next day.

3. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Here, too. We figured that since a BB gun’s muzzle velocity was so slow that you could actually see it in flight, it couldn’t be that dangerous. Still, we wore our little BMX bike facemasks for protection, just in case.

After seeing “Red Dawn”, we stepped up to roman candles launched out of PVC pipe and sparklers shot out of CO2-powered pellet guns; all the while running around screaming “RPG!” and “Wolverines!” Ahhh…..the 80s….

1. avatar Virginia Gunner says:

I made a rocket launcher out of PVC pipe as a kid too. Fired a model rocket out of it that actually looked like an RPG, only with fins. Had the battery powered launch control duct-taped to the top with holes drilled in the pipe for the ignition wires. Problem was it the rocket would only go straight a little ways and then always turned vertical and flew straight up. Never hit what I was aiming at, but the firing part was cool.

4. avatar Virginia Gunner says:

Same here. That came to end when one of my friend’s ‘suppressing fire’ BB’s made it to the road and hit an unmarked cop car cruising past. Worst luck ever. I’d been playing at his house for years and had never heard his Austrian mother scream until that day. Scared the hell out of me.

We did the fireworks battles too, down the neighborhood street. Roman candles and bottle rockets mainly, mail-ordered from some southern state where they were legal. We lit them with Swisher Sweets we all smoked for the event. Turns out the lamest little fountains can be great weapons when you throw them over an enemy position just before the fuse runs out. They come down spinning and raining sparks everywhere.

3. avatar JWM says:

Potential future Darwin award.

1. avatar TITAN308 says:

Some might say the same thing about riding around on a tiny scooter on roads meant for multi ton cars…

1. avatar Tominator says:

Or the dumbazzes riding bicycles!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

I carry while riding.

Make my day…

🙂

2. avatar JWM says:

The scooter is an in joke between me and wife. I did ride a motorcycle til I got too old to heal right.

1. avatar Tominator says:

Raced a bit back in the day…..THAT keeps me off them now! LOL!

3. avatar C says:

Here, most of those guys on scooters are riding them because they’ve had their license revoked over DUI’s. So, they’ve kinda made their own bed.

4. avatar JR Pollock says:

I suppose that it’s marginally safer than having real live ammo fired at you, but I wouldn’t do it.

5. avatar spankeythejarhead says:

We used to do this practicing patrol with the CO tossing flashbangs and such. For reals it was stimulating!

6. I wouldn’t do it either, but I don’t see the harm in it unless practicing naked. Having things go bang back at you is probably more of an adrenaline rush than a paper silhouette target.

1. avatar JWM says:

Thanks bunch, skippy. Now I got images of a naked dude dodging fireworks in my head.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Cripes, now I have a vision of Ralph’s pasty-white @ss running for his life…

It burns! IT BURNS!!!

1. avatar JWM says:

Once again the no beverage rule while ttaging is a life saver. Or at least a keyboard cleanup saver.

If upping the stress level is the aim, why not just stuff a live cobra into the guy’s Jockey shorts? Or show him naked pictures of his significant other with a goat? Or have his friends report him to the ATF? Or . . . .

Yeah, this is just a little bit silly. And maybe just a little bit crazy.

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Or show him naked pictures of his significant other with a sheep? I’m baaaddd!

8. avatar CentralIL says:

Some things look more dangerous than they are. The guy is wearing eye and ear protection, so the only real risk is minor burns. I would be sure to keep my mouth shut though.

9. avatar The Original JohnO says:

Those were relatively small-bore fireworks.

10. avatar gsnyder says:

Shoot at with paintgun. If it works for him, whatever. I don’t see any advantage for one simple reason, if bullets are so close you can hear them whizzing, you are in the wrong spot, and you will not hear the one that takes you out.

11. avatar neiowa says:

The guy needs another r and t and some 50cal.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“Step up to the plate Baret, shot a mortar from the top of your noggin. Guy that did so last week failed, you can show him up.”

No, he succeeded, but it really blew his mind…

*snicker*

Man Shoots Firework From Top of His Head, Dies

12. avatar Gunr says:

Great idea, The next time I go shooting, I’ll have my buddy stand back a couple hundred yards, and throw Badminton birdies at me. Ooooo! I can feel a rush coming on!

13. avatar thewiz says:

stupid idea. got hit in the upper lip by a standard bottle rocket once. punched a nice little round hole through my stash and lip; loosened a front tooth. frikkin hurt like hell. wife wasn’t too pleased either. and yes as kids, we did the bb gun woods wars. with no protection. miracle none of us got hurt

14. avatar Brentondadams says:

How about like a tennis ball thower?

15. avatar barnbwt says:

I always make sure to SWAT myself at least once every range trip…

16. avatar Vhyrus says:

Slightly off topic, but I can’t seem to find any companies doing real force on force training. Anyone know of any places that are reasonable?

1. avatar JWM says:

Join the marines. They’ll pay you and give you room and board. Can’t get more reasonable than that.

2. avatar Kevin says:

I found a place that does simunition training just a couple miles from me just by typing “guns” into Google maps. I was trying to keep up with all the LGS’s that popped up in the past few years…they have been multiplying around here since ’08.

17. avatar Siris says:

Distractions is the major thing. You can run a sprint back from your target and get the heart pumping Pretty hard.

Having people yelling at you and or throwing brass/ hacky sacks on you while you try to hit targets seems more life like To work thru distractions. Kind of draws the crazy eye if you aren’t alone at the range tho. Lol

18. avatar Roy H says:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

This is brilliant. By the way. I recently realized that you can by fireworks online. One website had 120 saturn missile batteries (25missiles/per battery) for only $80. Saturn missiles batteries can be as cheap as a single round of .308 apparently. The down side is it might not be legal in your area and shipping is a minimum $150 because of hazmat.

19. avatar Don says:

I’d say that is both nuts AND brilliant.

20. avatar Sian says:

I see no problem here, having been on that end of more than my share of fireworks in my time. They’re not the exploding sort, the worst that can happen is a minor burn.

Paintball mask and long sleeves would make sure that any injury or burns would be a slim possibility though. Gotta protect the face!

21. avatar TheSleeperHasAwakened says:

Great idea and looks like a LOT of fun!

Going to have to try this in the near future.