Seattle Youth Poet’s Poem. Anti-Gun Or Anti-Gang Banger?

Leija-Farr-Youth-Poet-Laureate-300x451

GUN

by Leija Farr [via fusion.net]

G-U-N. Letters carved across your black ashed fingers. What started as a toy from daddy’s bottom drawer but it was not enough. One shot was not enough to satisfy your gun high, you realized your nose loved the smell of this lethal smoke fuming from bullet holes. Because you saw rappers molest imaginary pistols in songs and misuse bullets and spray homicidal rainbows on pavement.

You decided to put the most focus on this small silhouette that housed in pockets, looked beautiful to you because it is silver painted but as soon as it’s penetrated fades to an evil black.

Wanted to use guns as self-defense, you wear weak in school so you would hold it and pray with eyes tightly closed it molded into your skin. And you loved the way people ran when you hit lead into crying pigment, you didn’t listen when they told you guns were no fun.

You just repeatedly raped it and made handguns forcefully cum bullets, you blasted big caves in faces, letting dented metal secrete through the peak of the gun hole like liquid let your index inject into rifles despite seeing babies you see sprayed.

Left the taste of sour from the gunpowder you fed to innocent mouths and overtime you curved burns onto knuckles but just chuckled. This was funny to you. That you were holding something so deadly you see the police beat black and blue everyday, you see music videos portrayed with glamorized shell cases street corners turn from normal days to loud bangs, when your were little tried to cover ears with hands smeared with gun art and now it’s become you.

You’ve become the one with the fast reaction to pick up this gun and blast, never really caring how scary this weapon you were holding was. But your eardrums need to hear the sound POP,POP,POP,POP, a sensation for some reason you loved. In movies you see it’s cool so you think it’s cool to make bodies crawl and lay on them your horrific art of stroking bodies red, and in this time in your life you felt dead and like nobody so you wondered,”why can’t everybody else be.

Your fingers swallowed tears strolled down cheeks as you shot this glock, you couldn’t stop because you were drunk of this generation’s lies, you were drunk off bars emcee’s feed to you, you were drunk off TV’s meaning of a thug, took shots of the evil liquid life gives you then eyes became tipsy and would see whatever blurry visions the media gave to you.

You shot so many times that overtime your hands couldn’t feel it anymore. Numb to what runs out the gun’s mouth and is dug into innocent flesh. Your body has become one with this machine because you can’t seem to walk away.

You can’t seem to walk into places and not strike it with violent rage can’t communicate with your mouth, so you reload your only focus and hope and shoot it. You’re wondering why the gun never answers your cries? Because guns are not your friends. It doesn’t care who’s dead it’s brain is just a blank structure that shoots whatever, it just cares it’s getting fame from every person that plays with it.

That it’s shape is being bedazzled in ads and dressed to impress in lyrics. Made to fit many hands and yours slipped in and gripped it as you fired intestines with what you thought your only life was.

And I feel sorry for you, because to you that gun may seem like it’s on your side until somebody takes out and turns it on you.

comments

1. avatar Henry Bowman says:

Well its great to see the crazy make it so easy to spot themselves.

1. avatar doesky2 says:

The Left destroys everything it touches…. education, the black family, art, entertainment, science, media….. and so why stop at poetry?

1. avatar Lost Down South says:

“…fades to an evil black.”

Well then. Interesting choice of words.

2. avatar doesky2 says:

Exhibit 3,452,769 of the destruction from the Left….

28 foot “sculpture” of dog peeing on the front entrance of the Orange County museum of “art”….

….complete with yellow puddle……….

2. avatar JJ48 says:

Is this poetry, or just really flowery prose? It doesn’t seem to have any sort of rhythm or structure that I can discern.

Whichever it is, it definitely reads as being anti-gun.

1. avatar DisThunder says:

I tried to read it, but I glazed over a third down the page. I’m sure there’s some clever wordplay in there somewhere but there’s holes in the ceiling somewhere I should be counting.

1. avatar Mk10108 says:

Count holes in the ceiling….my chuckle for the day.

2. avatar JasonM says:

I was in the same boat. I have some paint drying that I need to keep an eye on.

3. avatar GreatPlainsSower says:

It is cultural diversity at its finest. But because I am so weak that I carry a gun for defense of self and others, it just made me want to buy some more rounds to ensure my culture isn’t diverted towards thuglife.

4. avatar MacBeth 51 says:

3. avatar Fuque says:

Sounds like the lyrics to a drug fueled 60’s throwback song…Morrison? Joplin?…. Pink floyd?

1. avatar Commonsenseisnt says:

Stop tarnishing Janice and Floyd.

1. avatar styrgwillidar says:

Pink Floyd never put out anything as rambling and incoherent as this c$%#

2. avatar Taylor TX says:

Crazy things like “Mother should I trust the government?” Now you got me listenin to The Wall this morning.

1. avatar Mk10108 says:

Lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year.

4. avatar Dracon1201 says:

In answer to your question, yes.

It contains elements of both.

5. avatar travis m. says:

I don’t see what the big deal is, this is just a manifestation of her views and emotions. She doesn’t offer a solution, she’s just reporting how she feels. That said, I’m curious if she has any poems about the police.

6. avatar KMc says:

One of the few times I regret clicking the “Read More” link.

1. avatar mountocean says:

My sentiments exactly.

7. avatar dph says:

GUN, my version.
    I’ve got a gun dull and black, I keep it in a holster around at the small of my back. It’s never killed and I hope it never will, but you break into my house looking for cash, all your going to see is a big bright flash. Try to rob in the street, your maker is the next person you’re gonna meet. Springfield, Ruger, Mossberg and more, these bad boys gonna show you the door.

At least mine rhymes.

1. avatar JJ48 says:

Not bad, though the “…street…meet” line in particular could use some work on the meter.

2. avatar Commonsenseisnt says:

lol…well done!

3. avatar TheBear says:

A screwdriver for a screw, a hammer for a nail…
      I feel the hardware tightening, my world tightening, my life tightening
      Violence spills over boundaries, imaginary boundaries
      Frothy bubbles. Boiling potatoes with too much water in a pan
      News on the television a hiss of steam, a wordless noise, clamoring for attention
      Shrill sounds accompany flashing blue lights. Another night. Another statistic.
      The screws around me tighten. Drilling into my life. Drilling into my mind.
      Life. Who says it is precious? I don’t know any statistics.
      I know my family.
      My family is precious.
      How do I protect my family? Myself?
      Life tightens around me.
      I don’t want this. I don’t want to be an object
      Destroyer of worlds…angel of death… arbiter of justice.
      That is what they see me as. They see me as a statistic with a tool.
      But a hammer for a nail, a screwdriver for a screw, a gun for the night…
      Flashing blue lights. I will not be a statistic.
      My life tightens. I have accepted this.

I just wrote this poem in 5 minutes. I don’t think I’m very good, but … counterpoint?

1. avatar Mk10108 says:

5 min and you cranked that out…..Laureate candidate you

2. avatar Mister Fleas says:

No, it’s good. It is better than “GUN”.

3. avatar Geoff says:

Not bad at all my Friend…

4. avatar Accur81 says:

Yours is better.

8. avatar Mecha75 says:

The public school brainwashing is strong in that one.

9. avatar John L. says:

Thank you.

Way back when, I had to choose between majoring in English, or in Physics.

It’s helpful to occasionally be reminded that I chose wisely.

10. avatar Chip in Florida says:

Honestly….. tl;dr

For those who can tolerate poetry and did read it all the way through please tell me if I can guess at a good summation:

Gun’s R Bad, MMMkay.

1. avatar JJ48 says:

Having read it, I’m actually confused as to what she’s trying to say, other than a general dislike of guns. Condensing it a bit, it sounds like her point is, “guns are just inanimate tools, and it’s people who are REALLY evil…but guns are never good, so they must be bad, too.”

…yeah, I don’t get it.

2. avatar Gatha58 says:

I can’t stand most modern poetry. This one seems to be a particularly bad example of what is loosely called poetry in today’s world. Just throw a lot of words together and massacre the English language in an attempt to make your point and try to appear smarter than everyone else. I wonder why anyone would listen to something like this or to her ? Perhaps they are pretending to be smarter than others also by acting like they understand this crap ? Reminds me of the Emperors New Clothes where everyone is afraid to say he is really naked.

1. avatar TheBear says:

I like modern poetry – and subject matter aside, hers is not good.

It has no flow, no rhythm, and no creativity.

11. avatar john thomas says:

Couldn’t quite finish the third paragraph. Pretty painful. Keep trying, young lady.

12. avatar Benny the Jew says:

Ugh. I hate it when people run roughshod on the English language and then try to call it poetry. When a good writer gets creative with words and wordplay, it’s fantastic. When a hack attempts it, you get “You just repeatedly raped it and made handguns forcibly cum bullets.”. Groan.

1. avatar Taylor TX says:

Thank you! This might pass for a high school poetry assignment but I think I might be a little generous even there. I will however, at least give her an E for Effort 🙂

13. avatar Gatha58 says:

Total crap. Could not read the whole thing. A poem that does not rhyme about the same worn out subject.Her anti-gun/anti-gang view of her world. Who really cares what she thinks and does her poem really make any difference ? I don’t think so.

14. avatar Shire-man says:

Youth poet laureate? I never should have clicked the link. It’s so full of broken imagery hardly relating to the context. You can sort of piece together what she means and her intentions but it is so poorly written I thought for sure it was just some rando on an open mic night.

To read “youth poet laureate”. Her other work must be exceptional and this piece simply an off target flyer or the title is pure image and zero substance.

15. avatar Chris T from KY says:

Poetry is a reflection of the culture the writer is living in. The gun is only a tool. Unfortunately in the culture she lives in this is how guns are seen. Rap music see’s violence and the use of guns differently than other forms of music. As far as the quality of her writing goes she did just fine for a kid.
    If you read poetry from any war worn part of the world you’ll read the same type of painful feelings the writer has.

1. avatar PeterK says:

Yeah it’s exactly what you’d expect from a kid. Warts and all. IE it’s terrible, haha.

It’s not just her feelings that are unpleasant, though I have to wonder what she has seen of any of this firsthand in Seattle.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Seattle here.

She has potentially seen plenty. South Seattle sees its share of gang bullshit. As does Sea-Tac and the surrounding area. And it’s getting worse.

A drive-by killed a random toddler just a short time ago.

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Also Seattle here.

Seattle averages around 20-25 homicides per year, about one every other week or so if they were evenly distributed. They’re not, of course, but a year in Seattle is a weekend in Chicago.

Even in the worst neighborhoods here it’s not a war zone.

16. avatar Red In Texas says:

Too painful to read all the way through.

I hope she isn’t paying for that “education”.

17. avatar blahpony says:

She’s obviously a Vogon.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Ha hahaha!

2. avatar Mister Fleas says:

That’s hilarious!

1. avatar Richard in WA says:

I thought she was Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings, from Essex.

Mwahahahahaha!

4. avatar Geoff PR says:

“She’s obviously a Vogon.”

Well, that explains the sudden craving I have for a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.

And Trillian.

18. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Hey. Wait just a durned minute here.
    Why wasn’t she expelled for writing the word “gun” on paper.
    Where is zero tolerance when you need it?

Man. That was some really bad writing.

19. avatar Lone Ranger says:

Maybe for an encore she can rap out a poem about how many people are killed by other tools like baseball bats, automobiles, or bathtubs.

20. avatar Nickbnumbers says:

B-R-I-C-K you were a cornerstone before you war neglected. A busted knuckle crackhouse piece laying in a vacant lot. Could have used you for constructive purpose but dusty fingers rough with abuse rape chose to pick instead.

Lifted you up in a smackdown arc. Swing down bust up. Cranium dent danses a blood summer rain on the hot asphalt like the kids playing in the fire hydrant urban season.

****

If I had six more minutes, I could match it for length. Bricks and stones can be used to cause injury and should be banned.
    //TTAG Laureate

21. avatar PeterK says:

Yuck. Good grief.

It’s anti-intelligence is what it is.

22. avatar Swarf says:

Good for her for writing something. I couldn’t that melodramatic, overwrought mess, but still.

That aside: “you wear weak in school”. Speaking of school, stay in it.

1. avatar Swarf says:

*finish

…glass houses…

23. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Synopsis by an outsider….
    Wannabe writer:

Pistols are bad…..
    Gun people are worse,
    This is true ’cause
    I say so in verse.

Do not fret folks
    That this poem don’t rhyme,
    As I ain’t no poet,
    Just killing some time.

This is what she meant…..
    Just sayin’ …….

24. avatar MarkPA says:

A totally different train of thought arose for me from reading the OP.

What fraction of the Black community mis-use guns? 90%? . . . 50%? . . . 10%? While our attention is drawn to thugs in the inner-city who are disproportionately Black, surely we can’t imagine that the majority of Blacks participate as gun-crime-commiters. In fact, we should recognize that the majority of Blacks are the most frequent victims of crime; i.e., they ought to be the most eager listeners to our message of self-sufficiency in defense of person and property.

Nation-wide or State-wide statistics are a hard-sell to a white soccer-mom privileged to live within a gated community with a well-funded police department. Statistics aren’t needed to remind the inner-city dweller of her vulnerability.

What if our out-reach could penetrate the inner-city grand-parents or single-mother audience? Would they recognize a need for self-defense? Would they be receptive to gun-safety practices? Would they see a trade-off between the danger of an accidental-discharge vs that of a home-invader?

How about their young children; “tweens”; older teenagers? Eddie Eagle is as important to young children in gun-free homes as it is for gun-keeping homes. Older teenagers might be able to recognize a long-term choice:
    – keep-out-of-trouble and preserve 2A rights of self-defense for a lifetime;
    – go-with-the-flow and lose those rights before you can even exercise them at age 21.
    At the margin, would any teenagers consider this choice worth pondering?

Baltimore and Ferguson are likely heightening the sense of vulnerability in the inner-city. The constabulary of Detroit and Milwaukee County are publicly taking leadership positions in the exercise of 2A rights.

What can we PotG do to outreach to this audience? What would an emergence of Black-PotG do for the support of 2A rights? Perhaps more black-skinned PotG would prove more effective than black-robed elitists.

1. avatar DickDanger says:

I was gonna say something similar, but you said it better than I ever could. Well done.

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

“We PotG are somewhat neglecting an important audience; the minority community(ies). Let’s think about this audience for more than a passing thought.”

It’s already happening, Mark.

Guns are becoming much more acceptable in black culture over the past few years.

I can’t recall where I recently read that. But I’m damn glad to hear it.

Perhaps Libertarian attitudes are blossoming in the youth in all cultures.

3. avatar Roymond says:

Inner city economic situations these days are no more conducive to the ownership of a gun than they were in eighteenth-century England. If some wealthy PotG were to fund the opposite of so-called “buy backs”, so weapons of self-defense could be sold at 65% off to inner city residents, and training provided free of charge, a dent could be made, or at least we’d learn how many people in the inner city really are interested.

25. avatar Pg says:

This is actually a really good poem. It might look disjointed, but that’s because it’s supposed to be presented in the “slam poetry” format. Think Saul Williams. I think she makes a pretty valid point: that there are cowards who hide behind guns to make them feel strong or brave, or who have become so entranced by the idea of violence that they find the need and desire to commit horrible acts of violence themselves. This is less against guns then it it’s about the glorification of violence and the way some have chosen to respond to it. She’s not talking about the vast majority of gun owners. She’s calling out the broken and twisted criminals who thinks is ‘cool’ to be killers. And I would agree. It’s why I have my own guns, to defend my family and myself against evil like that. Good poem. Not anti gun. Just anti evil.

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

got this feeling as well, even tho I only read about half.

Biggest problem I see culturally is most of the population that is anti-gun have never had a positive experience with one. Always someone getting shot or raped at gunpoint, or a kid in the house finding a unsecured gun and someone gets a negligent discharge in the head.

26. avatar Arno says:

Wow. If “silver painted” is cleaned regularly from bullet cum it won’t turn black.

27. avatar Taylor TX says:

Someone please for the love of all that is sacred, get this girl a thesaurus. I honestly dont get the anti gang feeling at all, even if she mentions rappers in the first paragraph, self defense is mentioned in the third.

“You can’t seem to walk into places ” Sure sounds likes shes referring to CC here but who knows what the mushy morass masquerading for a proggie brain is really thinking these days.

Loved all the gun poems above btw, keep it up yall!

28. avatar Toasty says:

I made it to, “You just repeatedly raped it and made handguns forcefully cum bullets” before i realized she was just crazy.

1. avatar Chris in SC says:

^ this + infinity.

29. avatar pun&gun says:

Lost me at the gratuitous and unimaginative sexual metaphor.

30. avatar Vitsaus says:

Blame the Beatniks and hippies for the death of poetry. This is pure garbage, it is not art, it is not literature. Read this trash, then go look up Wilfred Owen’s “Dulcet Et Decorum Est,” A poem about violence and (white) self destruction. Huge difference.

31. avatar L,John says:

Who knows someday she might evolve into a pretty good poet. In the meantime she might want to do some reading. A short list could be Lonna Cervantes, Allen Ginsburg, Diane di Prima, Maya Angelou and Langston Hughes.

32. avatar CTstooge says:

G-U-N Haiku:

Love that new AR
    But I’m in Connecticut
    So I’m screwed, it seems

33. avatar JJ48 says:

Well, everyone else is doing it, so I’ll take a stab:

The Hebrew Psalms are filled with parallels and repetition
    Syllable count is the Japanese mission
    While westerners prefer the rhyming condition
    Across the world poetry abounds

So you threw your thoughts together ’cause your views are valid
    In your mind you see it as a beautiful ballad
    But all that comes out is a tossed word salad
    With jumbled up, confusing sounds

All you’ve got are metaphors and your anti-gun rhetoric
    Your thoughts are confused and jump around just a peck
    Readers are left scratching their heads saying “What the Heck?”
    Go back to your English class. Zounds!

34. avatar dh34 says:

“…tell Sanchito that if he knows what’s good for him, he’d best go run and hide.
    Daddy’s got a new .45. …”

35. avatar VaqueroJustice says:

After reading this
    prose I have to ask myself
    what her birth tongue is.

1. avatar Nickbnumbers says:

it does read like a translation, doesn’t it?

2. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Ebonics.

36. avatar Wiregrass says:

Given where the bar is set these days: Obama = Nobel Peace Prize

She’ll probably be the next Poet Laureate.

37. avatar CJ Minnesota says:

Peg, I’m blind!

38. avatar Josh says:

Ian Anderson certainly has her beat in the poetry department.

(Not really pro-gun, more of a pacifist sentiment.)

Heavy Metals by Ian Anderson from Homo Erraticus

I am the smith. I feed my melt-pot,
    fashion carbon steely blades
    while coulter and the mouldboard stab
    and break the clod in forest glades.
    In sultry peace and blood-raised anger,
    I hammer out my forging trade.

Lockheed, Fokker, Curtis, Hawker,
    Avro, Gloster, Handley Page,
    Colt, Beretta, Walther, Mauser,
    Springfield, Ruger in a rage.
    Holland, Holland, Boss and Purdey,
    Woodward, Greener: golden age.

Every atom ofthe arsenal forged
    in distant dying sun
    in unholy Trinity now lends new
    form to plough and gun.
    Harry S. and Oppenheimer, Fermi,
    Teller, what have you done?
    And did they pray that He may guide
    us in His ways, now battle’s won?

1. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Hey that was great! I saw Jethro Tull 4 times during the 70’s(when Ian was energetic-an understatement…

2. avatar W.P. Zeller says:

Always a fan of Anderson’s wordsmithing but “Ruger in a rage” ? Good heavens, that’s an incongruity, a mixed metaphor, and a bad head picture, all in one.

39. avatar Chris M says:

She seems to project a personal sexual fetish with regard to guns.

“You just repeatedly raped it and made handguns forcefully cum bullets, you blasted big caves in faces, letting dented metal secrete through the peak of the gun hole like liquid … .”

This girl needs some serious counseling. And a spell checker. That free flow rap of hers makes a *little* more sense if one reads it a second time while mentally auto-correcting for the many misspellings.

1. avatar Dustin says:

Most of the antis are emotionally and sexually deranged, they fixate on their own sickness while projecting it upon others…

Anyone who associates weapons with genitalia is way, way, way too screwed up to have an opinion worth hearing.

Such a young girl an she’s already the equal of Maya Angelou.

41. avatar Out_Fang_Thief says:

“read more” Uhh, gee, do we really need to? Nope! Now that gibberish is stuck in my head.

“Been spendin’ most their lives, livin’ in an anti-gun paradise….
    “Been spendin’ most their lives, livin’ in a dem-ocrat paradise….

42. avatar Gene says:

I’m posting my response as interpretive dance….cue the bongos…

1. avatar Bulldozer says:

Bahahaha! Nicely done

43. avatar Bobiojimbo says:

The line about raping a gun and making it cum bullets is gross. Besides that, how does one rape a tool by making it perform the very action it was designed to fulfill?

Other than that, the poem was ok. I’m not big on poetry in the first place though. I think it definitely has more of an ant-gang-banger lean (whether she realizes it or not), and that’s interesting considering that the poem is titled: GUN, and is meant to be an anti-gun poem.

I think, what’s really telling, is how the views of anti-gunners is misplaced, and focused on the tool, and not the person behind the tool and the actions they commit. Yet, read the poem, and see that it’s actually about the person – but again, it’s titled GUN, and it’s message is supposed to be anti-gun. I wonder if, with a little introspection, she would realize that it’s the not the tool, but the person, and that subconsciously she knows that, but doesn’t accept it.

Maybe I’m reading too much into this…

44. avatar Some Dude says:

Poorly written flap
    of bangers and guns and crap
    facepalm sound is a slap

45. avatar Kyle says:

Much poetry is simply a
    Way for someone to write
    Something that would be
    Complete bull in prose form
    And make it sound “genius”
    By writing it in poetry form

46. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Yeah it’s crap-but several of you pro-gun guys are pretty good! Keep it up…

47. avatar Lurker_of_lurkiness says:

There once was a seattle youth

who liked to speak the untruth

people give guns undue affection?

I’m afraid its just you projecting!

Your stereotypings uncouth!.

48. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Helter Skelter. Is she a member of the Manson Family?

49. avatar Fred says:

“Youth”: someone that is too young to know anything yet.
    “Poet”: someone that has no foundation in reality.
    “Youth Poet”: awww look at how many words they managed to get on the page.

Good enough for the fridge but not good enough to actually read.

50. avatar Dustin says:

When the lunatics run the asylum, they never get the treatment they need…

51. avatar Dustin says:

The perpetual Democrat mission to portray their hate as [fill in the blank.]

52. avatar W.P. Zeller says:

The violence done to the English language here ought to be discussed as well.