Bishop E. W. Jackson: Urges Pastors to Carry A Firearm

Bishop E.W. Jackson was none too happy when President Obama compared ISIS terrorism to the Christian crusades. He’s equally displeased with the fact that members of the Emanuel A.M.E. church were unarmed when Dylann Roof opened fire. The Bishop urges pastors to carry a firearm to defend themselves and their flock. “If someone comes into my church to hurt my members I have an absolute obligation to defend them, to protect them.” Can I get an amen?

comments

1. avatar Grindstone says:

He’s equally displeased with the fact that members of the Emanuel A.M.E. church were unarmed when the asshole opened fire.

Stop naming the asshole. You’re giving him exactly what he wants.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

+1 … stop naming the spree killer.

1. avatar Sheepdog6 says:

-1…Dylann Roof wanted to kill people. He gives a damn about a gun blog daring to print his name.

Just get on all fours and go basaaaaaaaaaaaa while you are at it.

1. avatar Ken G says:

Denying a spree killer publicity is being a sheep? Riiight…

2. avatar Ray says:

Sorry, Sheepdog, but I can assure you that there IS a perverted mindset wherein fame post mortem IS the goal. They read the news and watch TV and the various MAGGOTS are seen as rock stars. They always go looking for an even more helpless cluster of victims to try and up the score before they get cancelled. they NEVER show any planning as to engaging the police or even escaping. These are not so much straight up murders as elaborate glory seeking suicides with unwilling participants.

Silence the Violence is the best policy.

Ray

2. avatar Matthew says:

Amen.

Unfortunately for me, my pastor is Canadian…

1. avatar Mk10108 says:

Feeling for you. Man hug if you need it.

1. avatar Steve in TX's Canadian wife says:

Hey there
        Not all Canadians are anti gun but we seem to get put on hold when purchasing a firearm. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been denied but later approved.

My husband says it’s because the ATF is afraid of Canadian lumber jackers.

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

But they’re okay… they sleep all night and they work all day. 🙂

2. avatar CBI says:

My understanding is that the NICS communicates with INS (or ICE, can’t remember which entity precisely) concerning any green-card holder, in order to verify status. I don’t remember for sure, but I think that every resident alien obtaining a firearm from us (FFL) has had a “Delayed” response.

2. avatar uncommon_sense says:

So what if your pastor is Canadian. Last time I checked, God is superior to pastors and the Bible (God’s word) instructs us to protect life — even going so far as condoning the carrying of self-defense weapons. Carry anyway.

1. avatar Gatha58 says:

Guessing he means that he is in Canada so it doesn’t really matter what his pastor thinks as he is unlikely to be able to get a gun and/or a concealed permit. Maybe he can clarify his statement.

3. avatar Art out West says:

Frankly, I don’t care much if my pastor carries or not. I’ll be carrying. That said, generally the more people that carry in a church, the better.

3. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Very refreshing to see this.
    Oh, and Amen!

1. avatar bob says:

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

4. avatar mdc says:

Yes Bishop, a big Amen. Take up your sword brother.

5. avatar brentondadams says:

Naw, just put up a bigger ‘No Guns’ sign

Maybe in two languages or something…

6. avatar Rick in NH says:

Where was 0bama’s outrage when the Christians in the Middle East and Africa were being slaughtered by the Islamists?

1. avatar karlb says:

In an OpEd in the LA Times Obama said this: “In Syria and Iraq, the terrorist group we call ISIL has slaughtered innocent civilians and murdered hostages, including Americans, and has spread its barbarism to Libya with the murder of Egyptian Christians.”

1. avatar lasttoknow says:

A bunch of racists, Islamophobes, and xenophobic and ethnocentric moroons at the LA Times !! People in Islamic countries (or Islamists anywhere) cannot be expected to act as enlightened people such as ourselves. They are ignorant (unlearned), backward, deprived traditionalists clinging to their guns and Koran/Quoran. You cannot hold these people to advanced, 21st century standards. Blaming them for acting badly when they are so handicapped by religion and history is not only unfair, it is completely unfeeling. The US will be respected, trusted and welcomed into Islamic societies when we learn to provide jobs for all those oppressed by Western intellectuals, money-grubbers and hateful politicians.

7. avatar davidx says:

Amen, Bishop!

Would that my own bishops and cardinals were to speak out likewise.

8. avatar 2Asux says:

Ayyyyymen, ayyyymen, amen, amen, amen.

9. avatar Roymond says:

Not enough: it shouldn’t be only the pastors, but the deacons. It was armed deacons who were the backbone that kept Dr. King’s movement from being crushed.

1. avatar Chris T from KY says:

Say it again brother!

10. avatar Geoff PR says:

The real tragedy will be those who don’t listen to common-sense wisdom like that.

11. avatar John L. says:

So say we all.

12. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Can I get an amen?

Amen brother!

13. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

Amen…

14. avatar Bob108 says:

I helped teach a firearms class where every participant in the class went to the same church. The preacher carried, and the church had a full security team. Why I asked? There were a number of reasons cited such as religious persecution and terrorism, but it all came down to “the fundamental transformation” of America. Some of these people see the US becoming a country where religious persecution against Christians is becoming normal. They see a government that won’t lift a finger to help them, but instead, will push them out. They see Christianity essentially outlawed in many corners of government, and other religions being accepted with open arms. They see children taught in school to hate Christians, and they see colleges banning the expression of Christianity while again, welcoming other religions with open arms. It is a scary time for them, and frankly, I think they may be right to be scared. This is not unlike events in history, or even events playing out throughout the world today. All it may take is one event, like the Reichstag Fire or Emperor Nero blaming Christians for the burning of Rome, to make this into something we used to read only in books. I hope they are wrong. I think they hope they’re wrong. Unfortunately, many are losing hope.

15. avatar Mk10108 says:

A-slay-evil-men.

16. avatar Steve s says:

I am one of the ministers of a church in a church near Chicago. I have a ccw permit for illinois so you better believe I carry. Liberals have tried to say that churches in Illinois are gun free zones. Per the Illinois State Police, churches are NOT gun free zones. Some democratic lawmakers attempted to get that changed but failed. I know of a couple other ministers that carry. They pastor near East St Louis Illinois, so you bet they carry.

17. avatar Former Water Walker says:

AMEN! Let it be so…my pastor friend carries-he also has U-tube boxing videos and is 68years old. A genuine bad-a##! Without being bad…

18. avatar Jon says:

“A shepherd must tend his flock. And at times… fight off the wolves”.

19. avatar Titanium says:

And I daresay that Rabbi’s, Guru’s, and Priests should carry them as well! Pretty much ALL clergy in places of worship need to be armed because these places are targets for rampage shootings regardless of their sect or faith. There have been shootings at Synagogues and Unitarian Churches.

20. avatar Garrison Hall says:

What happened was the purest of evil. The shooter chose his target carefully, like most spree killers, he wanted to send a message.

The black community has a long tradition of keeping and using firearms for self-protection. A case can be made that the Civil Rights Movement with its emphasis on non-violence could not have happened were it not for the common knowledge that black families and communities were quite often armed. Although they sometimes seem to forget it, occasionally with tragic consequences, the black community has always had its share of People Of The Gun who see themselves as protectors and not exploiters. I’m on their side. I want to see the next racist SOB who decides to shoot up a church get his head blown off before he gets the chance to hurt anybody. All it takes is one armed person to stop a disaster from happening. If anyone understands this at the genetic level it’s black folks.

21. avatar Chris T from KY says:

I’m sorry he was not elected in Virginia.

22. avatar John in Ohio says:

Amen.

We have a local pastor here that is often seen propping his Bible up with a Ruger case on the podium. 😉

23. avatar SCW says:

I guess their god couldn’t be bothered to stop a mass murder…maybe b/c their god is the ultimate mass murderer?

1. avatar scott says:

Why don’t you visit the good people of that church, and mention this. Let me know how that works for ya.

1. avatar SCW says:

Was anything I said untrue? Do you consider that to be a comment that should be responded to with violence? I just found it ironic that they worship a mass murderer.

1. avatar scott says:

Slow down, pony soldier. Where did I say anything about violence? I’m sure if you prattled that little comment to the people of that church, they would respond. Probably pray for you, NOT attack you.

2. avatar SCW says:

I didn’t say you said anything about violence. I asked what you thought was an appropriate response to my statement.

You don’t find it ironic that christians worship someone who once supposedly killed everyone on earth except a drunkard and his dysfunctional family? They denounce a mass murderer while simultaneously worshiping a mass murderer. It’s OK though, the bible says so right?

1. avatar scott says:

LOL. Nice response. Hope you have a great Father’s Day!

24. avatar L,John says:

On the subject of carrying I have a Beretta 92A1 on the way and would like suggestions for a good holster. I would rather not make mistakes and add to my collection of unused holsters. Thanks.

1. avatar Tom says:

Best holster ever. I recently converted to this one. N82Tactical dot com

1. avatar Chad A says:

I just ordered one the other day, can’t wait to try it out!

25. avatar L,John says:

Thanks to Tom and Chad. Have read about that holster and will give it a try.

26. avatar IdahoPete says:

Amen, brother …

27. avatar Jimmyjames says:

Amen Rev. I like the way you think. Our church was/is in the process of evaluating the responsibility and liability it has to insure the safety of it’s parishioners. It just doesn’t cost that much to have armed security at least during the times that the highest concentration of people are in the buildings. Our church is probably too liberal and anti-gun leaning to have ushers or other parishioners armed but I think they might consider hiring armed security as a sensible alternative.

28. avatar paul says:

the Baptist church in Wentzville, Mo has a women’s shooting group. think they meet on Wednesday nights.