David Codrea and Examiner.com Part Company

David Codrea is a pillar of freedom fighters and Second Amendment supporters. He and Mike Vanderbough broke the Obama administration’s Fast and Furious gun running scandal. He has numerous awards from the Second Amendment Foundation, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, and even from Soldier of Fortune magazine. I consider David to be a role model, and I am proud to call him a colleague So it is with mixed feelings that I report that he is parting ways with Examiner.com . . .

I read many columns that David wrote as the Gun Rights Examiner. His column was a groundbreaking example at Examiner.com that inspired many local gun rights examiners such as Dave Workman, Liston Matthews, Steve D. Jones, Kurt Hofmann, John Longenecker, and others. He engendered an army of gun rights examiners that have done tremendous work in reporting what the old media refuse to report. But the Examiner vehicle had intrinsic problems.

It was always loaded down with pop-ups, ads, and took enormous bandwidth to view easily. I hear rumors that the owners were constantly reducing the rates that they pay writers. I found the format irritating and I suffered with it only because of David and the writers that he inspired.

Now I have learned that David was suffering with the Examiner management as well. Just a couple of weeks ago, David and Examiner.com parted ways and it wasn’t an amiable split. You can read of what happened here. I’m saddened that a tower of achievement such as David was treated so shabbily. I find myself disgusted that Examiner.com couldn’t see what a valuable asset they had. But I have faith that this will work to David’s ultimate advantage, even if exactly how is unclear.

David is such a fountain of talent and integrity that I cannot help but believe that there is a special niche awaiting him, where his value will be known and rewarded. In much of the old media, lies and manipulation are rewarded. The ability to mislead is valued and supported.

I don’t believe that’s true of all the new media. It tends to be much more transparent, much more responsive, and is undergoing tremendous change. Change involves difficulties and opportunities, and I’m certain that David is experiencing some difficulties at this time. You might want to visit his waronguns blog, simply to leave a word of encouragement.

The war on the Constitution ultimately is a war on truth itself. David is a mighty warrior who follows the truth, wherever it may lead. He will be an asset wherever he goes. Finding a way to pay the bills while following the truth is the challenge.

©2015 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.

Gun Watch

comments

1. avatar Steve Ramsey says:

And If Robert Farago and the rest of The Truth About Guns doesn’t hire him, or at least buy some articles from him, it’s a missed opportunity for them. A Big one. A chance to add more depth, more relevance and staffer with more sources and connections. More of everything.

1. avatar Greg in Allston says:

+1. Right on. David is a tower of integrity, a tenacious journalist and an eloquent writer. TTAG would be foolish not to bring him on and figure out a way to pay him what he’s truly worth.

I’m also proud to say that I’ve shaken the man’s hand.

2. avatar ThomasR says:

Yep. David was about the only writer that I would read over at their site. I would come here to TTAG even more if David was writing for this site as well.

2. avatar Rick the Bear says:

Bummer. I hope that Dave finds a good outlet(s) for his columns.

3. avatar LoserGuy says:

I wonder what it would take to get him on board as a regular contributor?

1. avatar rosignol says:

Less TTAG readers using adblockers, I suspect.

1. avatar JF says:

I would turn off my ad-blocker if Mr. Farrago would:

a/ change his ad insertion process so that stupid videos don’t auto start on his page,
        b/ so that his pages weren’t so over laden with ads they grind to a halt in both FF and iOS,
        c/ and when he stops using polls that TRACK THE IP ADDRESS (that shotgun poll in the upper right of the home page.

I’d even recommend more friends come here if he’d stop with the PC bull crap (his recent Jenner comment), and when I am fully convinced he is done linking to 9/11 truther and holocaust denial sites to bolster his anti-zionist lunacy.

1. avatar Richard Hawkins says:

Lmao I’m sure he’ll get right on all that you jackass

2. avatar Pg2 says:

Linking to 9-11 truther and holocaust denier sites? Where and when?

3. avatar Ronald Pottol says:

Just get a flash disabling program. Kills all the ad vids, but just click on one if you want to view it. Faster and more stable browsing. I still see ads, and some flash ones have animated gifs, which are not a performance nightmare, and are silent 😉

4. avatar Dustin says:

I’ve never experienced any auto-starting ads on TTAG. I have no ad-blockers. I just plain don’t have a problem with any of the ads; I ignore them.

4. avatar Excedrine says:

TTAG, snaffle him up if you can.

5. avatar brentondadams says:

“It was always loaded down with pop-ups, ads, and took enormous bandwidth to view easily”

Unreadable from here. TTAG, give him a job

6. avatar Missouri Mule says:

The Examiner shows it is getting soft. They will loose readers.

7. avatar Lurker_of_lurkiness says:

Hmmm so he has some articles that didn’t get published…..

Too bad there isn’t like a popular gun blog out there in internet land that could publish them….

8. avatar gsnyder says:

Good luck to him and understand. I ended up unemployed from doing the right thing, and it sucked(s).

9. avatar Farmer Bill says:

You GOP TH UGS and RETHUGLITURD GUN NAZIS should be rounded up and put in camps.

1. avatar Joe Mama says:

Your move. We’re waiting.

2. avatar ThomasR says:

LOL. I was laughing so hard it was a good thing I wasn’t drinking coffee at the moment I saw this post.

But Farmer Bill is a good example of the, Umm, how can I say, educational achievements of the typical statist worshiper. There is a reason some people look to the state to take care of them as over grown children in adult bodies. Farmer Bill is one such example.

10. avatar Fed Up says:

Could it be that the problem with ‘new media’ is that when it becomes successful, it turns into ‘mainstream media’?

Seriously, the BS that Examiner put David through sounds just like something the msm would do to a columnist who wouldn’t toe the party line.

11. avatar Wiregrass says:

I realize that web sites have to make money to stay in business, but when news sites get cluttered up with irrelevant ads and annoying popups and polls, it really hurts their credibility with me. It’s just a gut reaction. If I am familiar with the reporter or writer, I’ll ignore it but otherwise their just hurting themselves being associated with these electronic rags. Hope he finds a new outlet that’s better.

12. avatar George says:

I went to examiner.com once, and as soon as the pop-ups started I dropped the connection. That is my indicator of a worth while site. If they use pop-ups then they are scummy in my opinion, and are just your typical ad revenue whores.

13. avatar truth is treason says:

David Codrea is outstanding! Tons of exclusives over the years, including Fast and Furious. That alone put Obama and gun Sanderson the defensive for a couple years. It also prevented the operation itself from being used for gun control purposes – who knows what laws may have passed without it being exposed. Someone with ATF sources and a partner like Vanderboegh is invaluable on the pro gun side, and in creating viral articles that can bring in tons of traffic. We should all email the various sites and the GOA to hire him!

“Truth is treason in an empire of lies.”

14. avatar Kevin says:

It’s he one of the owners of https://auctionarmory.com ?