Check Out the Civilian Marksmanship Program’s New $20M Talladega Park Shooting Facility

CMP-Talledega-Park-620x330

By Chris Buckner via wideopenspaces.com

The newest sportsman’s paradise in Alabama officially opened on May 6 and it looks like a dream come true for the area’s shooters. The CMP Talladega Park is only open on what they’re calling a soft opening now to test out the park and make sure everything is in top shape for the grand opening scheduled for June 5. Visitors were greeted by CMP park employees, as well as Range Master Donnie Heuman, in the massive 13,000-square-foot clubhouse for a safety briefing before filing out to one of the many ranges . . .

d7b5f0b14b116763

Shooters were able to practice on the 100-, 200-, 300-, and 600-yard ranges as well as the five-stand shotgun and sporting clays fields. The pistol ranges weren’t open yet, but should be any day now.

While the range boasts an impressive array of both pistol and shotgun opportunities, the centerpiece of the park is their fully electronic scoring system, which can be shot with both pistol and rifles.

This range offers targets at 100, 200, 300, and 600 yards and provides instant scoring to the shooter. And, as if that weren’t impressive enough, this range has 50 shooting booths that are completely covered for shooting in any weather with room to expand to 100 positions if needed.

149cf5512f918ebf-788x1024

The CMP Talladega Park seems like a good excuse all by itself to plan a trip to Alabama, but make sure you check their website for up-to-date information about hours and special events.

comments

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

1. avatar Phil LA says:

8 lb, 6 oz, tiny infant Jesus.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I like the baby Jesus better…

2. avatar Ray Ficara says:

I almost want to move to FL.

2. avatar SouthernPatriot says:

I went to Talladega numerous times in the distant past, watching Bobby Allison and Richard Petty and group duel around the oval, but it looks like I will be going back to Talladaga. Whew, Lordy be!

3. avatar Kapeltam says:

Do they have apartments available for rent on site?

4. avatar Pascal says:

I will be there in August. Going to the CMP Advanced Maintenance Class and will be taking a few extra days to go to the range as well. Can’t wait!

5. avatar Tom W. says:

Awesomeness! With an extra dash of ness.

Do they have short term lease bungalows in the back?

6. avatar Jjimmyjonga says:

Too bad it’s getting harder and harder to navigate various state rules correctly to get ourselves, pistols, and tricked out rifles to nifty spots like this. I guess if just going with a shotgun or bolt gun, would be ok. my state (VT) does not license concealed carry.

1. avatar Kelly in GA says:

I wrote an article that kinda pertains to your point and sent it in. At least a way to help yourself out. Hopefully if it gets published, it’ll help.

1. avatar SouthernPatriot says:

That is of great interest to moi as well. I think very many would be interested!

7. avatar kevin says:

This is all kinds of awesome.

8. avatar JTPhilly says:

Guys, just in case you can’t tell from the article and pictures, it’s awesome.

9. avatar Accur81 says:

Looks like an impressive facility. Any plans to offer shooting further than 600 yards? I’d think 1000 yards would be fun with all of these amenities – especially as a way to introduce “new” shooters to 1000 yards plus.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Especially with automatic scoring. Your turn in the pits at 1000 yards was never much fun. But I agree, a new shooter cutting paper at 1000 yards will be more addicting than any drug. A Marine showed me how, and I hit some 9s with his Garand at 700 yards and I dreamed of 1000 for 40 years (1961-2002) before I finally got the chance to try it.

1. avatar 80 D says:

“…before I finally got the chance to try it.”

Dang it, Larry, how’d it go?

10. avatar LarryinTX says:

Nice looking Garand, too!

11. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Where does the money come from for facilities like this?

When I think about some venues and business infrastructure that is out there, the funding for it boggles my mind.

1. avatar Pascal says:

Lots of donations from individuals and corporations. Glock donated $50,000 to the effort and so have others. If you belong to CMP and purchase items through them, you are donating to the cause. You can also make direct donations. It has been a multi-year effort that started back in 2010. 2012 is when the 500 acre park was purchased and it has taken till 2015 to build the grounds and get the permits etc.

It has really been a total shooting community effort.

12. avatar Mikial says:

Looks like the ideal vacation to me.

13. avatar JackinAlabama says:

Hey guys,

This place is about 14 miles from me – and yeah, it’s an amazing facility! You know that Creedmoor Sports (yes, the Creedmoor Cup folks) relocated from Commiefornia to the area as well about a year ago, and I believe it was because of the CMP facility. It’s truly a wonderful time to live in this particular area if you’re a firearms aficionado! Y’all come see us, ya’ hear?

14. avatar Yngvar says:

Yeah, we got the same Kongsberg Target Systems electronic targets installed on our range. Almost to easy. (Come on Mods, I’m allowed to plug it again? Heh!)

15. avatar Ben says:

oh yeah. if we do get those 1911s released for surplus they aint gona be cheep. got a $20M shooting range to pay for.

16. avatar JJ48 says:

Did I read on their site that this is situated rather close to the speedway? I may have to plan an extended weekend trip one of these years…

17. avatar SentMKG says:

That is amazing. To bad they don’t have a 1000 yard range yet. Maybe they will expand to do so in the future. That would really put them on a lot of maps as a must visit location.