Jamaican Police Seize 9 Guns, 100 Rounds of Ammo

gun2

“The police yesterday said their increased operations across the island are yielding fruit, as these operations have resulted in the seizure of nine firearms and 124 assorted rounds of ammunition between Friday, April 17 and Saturday, April 18.” That’s according to jamaicaobserver.com, which chronicles the seizures. Looks like the ammo drought has hit Jamaica’s criminals pretty hard. Here are a couple of examples . . .

The CCU [Constabulary Force’s Corporate Communication’s Unit] said that operation was carried out on Foster Lane, Water Lane and Orange Street. Several premises were reportedly searched and the weapons – one Taurus 9mm pistol, one Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, one 9mm pistol – as well as 67 rounds of ammunition were seized. The police say no one was arrested in connection with that seizure.

Later Friday, the St Catherine North police seized a semi-automatic shotgun, two 12-gauge cartridges, 20 5.56 cartridges, and four .45 cartridges, during an operation in a canefield in Heartland district, Spanish Town, that the police say was intelligence-led.

No one was arrested in relation to the shotgun seizure, but the CCU said in another incident in St Catherine, a man was taken into custody in the Linstead area after he was accosted on Parade Avenue and a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver with five .38 rounds of ammunition removed from a knapsack he was carrying.

Fifteen .38 rounds were also handed over to the Spanish Town police by a man who found them in a plastic bag on a premises, the CCU release continued.

And so on. While the antis will cheer this “revelation” of the island nation’s under-ammoed bad guys, I wonder if Jamaica’s legal gun owner are having similar problems. Oh wait . . .

comments

1. avatar mike oregon says:

I checked my nightstand, they aren’t mine.

1. avatar TTACer says:

Beat me to it. I think I have more than that in the little safe. I have about 1/4 of that in the center console of my car.

1. avatar rosignol says:

I think I have more than that floating around loose in my trunk.

1. avatar Ozzallos@gmail.com says:

I dug around looking for change in my sofa cushions and found about half that, nyuk-nyuk.

2. avatar Art out West says:

That is what I thought. I generally have more ammo than that in the trunk of my car. I usually have some .22, .380, 9mm a few .38 sp, some 7.62×39 (and 54r), plus 12 guage, just in case I want to go shooting on the way home from work. That way I’ve got ammo for whatever gun I take. I should throw some 9×18 and .45 in there as well. I’ve overlooked those.

3. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Some might construe these comments as the TTAG version of “Let them eat cake.”

Did anyone catch the part about the revolver that was confiscated from the man’s backpack after he had been accosted? No details on whether he was involved in criminal activity or just another law-abiding citizen getting screwed twice. Once by the criminals and again by the legal criminals. Make no mistake, police violating human rights are criminals too. They just haven’t been prosecuted yet.

4. avatar David says:

It is the TTAG version of let them eat cake. Few countries (if any) rival America in terms of ammunition availability. On top of that, most Americans have more disposable income than citizens in most other countries. Economics can disarm a populace as easy as a depot.

And . . . I highly doubt that is all the guns & ammo they recovered. If Jamaican cops are like copes everywhere else then I am sure that cache is for the cameras and the other half (or more) is anywhere but an evidence locker.

5. avatar TTACer says:

It is nothing like “Let them eat cake.” We are mocking the authorities, not the people.

2. avatar Joe says:

I have about five times that within reach of my silverware drawer…and the kitchen isn’t even where I keep my main stash.

2. avatar SouthernPatriot says:

My wife and I and my extended family have traveled into Jamaica dozens of times over the past 30 years or so. Almost yearly now, I travel there and have driven throughout the island, all around it, through it and over it.

There is one area the Jamaican law enforcement warned me not to go. They said they did not even go there and that was a section of Kingston. Rastas control the area and keep outsiders out by force. Reminds me of how it used to be in in the inner city of Detroit and parts of Los Angeles and still is in some instances. Criminal gangs have guns, law abiding citizens have been disarmed and ammunition confiscated or outlawed.

So many Jamaicans I know and love their enthusiasm for life, but so many feel they are powerless against evil if they obey the government and/or judges/law enforcement. Most, I know, secretly disobey.

3. avatar marco says:

I don’t understand why you’d have a semi-auto shotgun for 2 rounds. Couldn’t you use the price differential for more ammo?

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

I think that is the point, there is NO ammo to be had. price or not, its not there.

1. avatar UpChuck.Liberals says:

Obama’s having a wet dream over this prospect.

4. avatar vv ind says:

So you’re saying most here have a larger ‘arsenal’ than the entire criminal population of Jamaica?

1. avatar rosignol says:

More than any particular gang, maybe, but not more than all of them combined. 😀

1. avatar Swarf says:

I’m sure the badged gang has plenty of ammo.

2. avatar Patrick says:

I gathered that the few handguns(largely .38 revolvers) collected and single-digit ammo quantities per person collected were taken from generally “law abiding citizens”, citizens who own prohibited weapons for their own safety in the general environment rather than for criminal activity or as a result of elevated danger related to criminal activity. “Criminal activity” here of course refers to committing violent acts, not the mere ownership of something that’s banned.

I would imagine that it’s harder to confiscate guns/ammo from actual “criminals”, and that those criminals may have significantly more ammo. (Refer to the “Rastas” mentioned in another comment.)

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

That’s the way I read it, too, though I didn’t see it spelled out.

5. avatar DickDanger says:

Can’t take my eyes off the incorrect grammar of the sign…

1. avatar crashbbear says:

I an’ I gwon go down to tha Kingston town, ya boi. Gone be be bad to ya best ye brush up with ya Rasta, ya say bambclot white boi.

2. avatar TTACer says:

It is its own language. Similar to English but not the same. The sign is fine.

3. avatar Sian says:

They don’t think it be like it is, but it do.

6. avatar Grindstone says:

There’s probably more unfired ammo rolling around on the floor of my local range than they collected during their entire “operation”.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Heck, there’s probably more unfired ammo rolling around on the floor of my truck than that…

7. avatar Reef Blastbody says:

My gosh, 100 WHOLE ROUNDS?!?! That’s not even half of an average trip to the range for me.

8. avatar Former Water Walker says:

What a haul MON…

9. avatar JWM says:

So, I got more guns and ammo than the whole Jamaican underworld? I kind of feel like a Bond supervillian now. I need henchmen…..and women.

1. avatar John L. says:

Don’t forget the cat. Without the cat, it’s all just for show.

1. avatar JWM says:

Angora or hairless?

10. avatar S.CROCK says:

Am I far off in assuming most TTAG regulars have more ammo than that for gun they don’t own?

1. avatar Matt in TX says:

Yes I do.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

For many of us, I think all the ammo we have is for guns we own, but we do not have ammo for all of the guns…

2. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I have 100 and 3 20 guage shells but no 20 guage.

3. avatar LarryinTX says:

Uh, I’ve got around 50 .22 short, and haven’t had anything that shoots it for some 25-30 years. I got rid of 2 .50s and a 20mm a few years back.

11. avatar Retired LEO says:

Wife has friends from Kingston area they love our Constitution. First time we took them to a range they said felt like forbidden act. Now they are NRA members & working towards becoming citizens.

12. avatar John Franco says:

What a horrible story! Perhaps every woman associated with the socialist group Mothers Demand…, should read that article, then decide if continuing their ignorant battle against the Constitution makes sense.

13. avatar theCRASE says:

My wife is from Jamaica and them hauling in 9 guns is a laughing matter. The “police” there are corrupt and about as likely to rob or rape you as the gangs, nor do most people listen to them anyway. The Jamaican Army are the ones who actually do most of the cleaning up and there have been a lot of calls for them to abolish the police forces and just have the Army deal with everything.

I asked my wife point blank, “If the Jamaican police seized 9 guns and 100 rounds of ammo is that a good thing or a laughing matter?”

Her response was ” 9 guns and 100 rounds of ammo, that’s a joke!” Her mother plainly agreed. They both Laughed.

Look up Tivoli Gardens in Jamaica and understand why my wife is laughing.

14. avatar Chris says:

Welcome to my hell. 🙁

15. avatar Gordon Wagner says:

This is nonsense. Just budget-supporting PR fluff.

16. avatar Xanthro says:

Damn, it appears there is no .22 LR in Jamaica either.

17. avatar DJ says:

They (Jamaican criminals) use machetes.

Think I’d rather be shot.

18. avatar JackieO says:

“Struttin’ out from Shantytown with your pistol at high waist, Johnny your too bad…..”

1. avatar KCK says:

correction
      “ratchet in your waist”

of course the ratchet is a revolver

19. avatar Eric L says:

“…..that the police said was intelligence led.”……isn’t that an oxymoron?
    And, of course they only found four .45 rounds. Everyone knows thats all you need for the entire population of Jamaica, as opposed to thousands of 9 mm rounds.

20. avatar Marc says:

Junior Murvin’s song ‘Police and Thieves’.
    Check it out. Written in the ’70’s; applicable today.

21. avatar Vitsaus says:

“What have Jamaica gone to?” Evidently not to school.

22. avatar LordGopu says:

With so little collected, the crime rate must be really low in Jamaica. Oh wait…like 50 something murders per 100 000.