Winchester Issues Recall for “Limited” Number of SXP Shotguns

Guns are only supposed to fire when you press the trigger. That’s one of the basic principles of a safe firearms design. Unfortunately, as has we noted yesterday with the above YouTube video, Winchester’s new SXP shotgun failed that test. As a result, Winchester has announced a “limited” recall of their SXP shotgun line. Here’s their statement on the matter . . .

Winchester Repeating Arms has discovered that a limited number of SXP (3 ½” chamber) shotguns (also called the Super X Pump) may, under certain circumstances, unintentionally discharge while closing the action. Failure to return any affected shotguns for inspection and/or repair may create a risk of harm, including serious personal injury or death.

If you own one of the following firearms, please immediately contact our Winchester Consumer Administrative Center to find out if your firearm is affected and should be returned. Please be prepared to provide the serial number of your firearm.

The list of applicable firearms is located in the attached PDF.

comments

1. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

I wonder why it’s limited to the 3 1/2″ models. Would have thought the trigger/firing pin mechanism to be the same on all models. Unless that’s just what they happened to be running when something on the production line was out of spec.

I have the camp/field combo with a 3″ chamber so I should be OK… I hope.

1. avatar Winchester_user says:

I purchased a winchester sxp waterfowl in October 2013. I had only fired two shells before the gun accidentally discharged. I was unloading the gun when the gun first went off, the second time was in a controlled environment. Needless to say, the gun went away and I proceeded to call Winchester. They would do nothing about this at all about this unsafe firearm. I then contacted Bass Pro, and they were very welcoming. They exchanged the sxp with a new one. Not very impressed with winchester at all.

2. avatar Tom says:

I gave a 3 1/2″ SXP as a gift and the person I gave it to experienced unintended discharge.
      This was before the recall and he thought it was something he did and continued to use it.
      If he or a member of his family especially or anyone else would have been killed by this gun it would have been something that haunted me for the rest of my life.

As a result of this problem this gun has definitely lost value and I believe Winchester, at a minimum owes some sort of refund to people who bought them. I personally would like to see a buyback option…

2. avatar CJ says:

Freedom Group called, they want their unintentional discharges back.

1. avatar Craig says:

To be fair, both the 870 and the 1100 have been shooting without major issues since the 1950s and 60s. Some people have issues with the maintenance level of 1100s, some don’t. But the 1100 has been THE semi auto skeet gun since it came out. And skeet can be about 100 or more shells every weekend of the year for 20, 30, 40 years. Now Beretta makes a better semi auto skeet gun, but I usually see more 1100s than Berettas.

Now the 700? I wouldn’t buy one.

1. avatar Chris says:

I don’t know that I would call the 870 safe from unintentional discharge. I saw one that belonged to a buddy of mine fall over when leaned against a pickup and go off. The safety was on and the trigger was obviously not pulled given no one was near it. I don’t particularly trust my 870 anymore. There are lots of reports of this type of thing happening. This is why the cops leave an empty chamber in their patrol shotguns. A lot of shotguns don’t seem to be drop safe.

2. avatar Gary says:

The models ypu mentioned are made by Remington, not Winchester.

2. avatar Avid Reader says:

So does Bill Clinton.

3. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

No problems with our guns…..company name is Winchester REPEATING Arms. ‘Nuff said.

1. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

They do claim that “The SXP is Fast. Faster. And Fastest.”

Can’t get much faster than firing immediately.

4. avatar Emfourty Gasmask says:

This is why I bought a Benelli, really

1. avatar -Peter says:

^ This +1.

I’ll take a second-hand Benelli over a new Winchester any day.

1. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

You buying for everyone? 😉

2. avatar vv ind says:

Yeh. Ford. Samsung. Sthil. Makita. Trojan. Michelin. Peterbilt. Green flash. Lagavulin. John deere. A fuente. Kelly moore. Fort knox. Snap on. Morakniv. Duluth. Federal. Oakley.

3. avatar JoshtheViking says:

I like my Mossberg 590, but my Benelli Nova H2O is still my defensive shotgun of choice (even with a capacity of just 4+1)

1. avatar Emfourty Gasmask says:

Get a mag extension bro! You can get 8+1 on that!

5. avatar Anaxis says:

I briefly considered buying one of these; but then I thought about my old Model 1906 and thought about whether the new Winchester would still be around and in working condition after 100 years. After looking at one up close, I would be surprised if it was still in one piece after 30. So, the consideration period was very brief indeed.
    They kind of reminded me of new cars, which are designed to be replaced every 100k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

6. avatar hobbez says:

At this point, I can’t understand why anyone would take the risk (with your life) and buy a newly made Remington.

1. avatar Timmy! says:

Indeed… but we’re talking about Winchesters here.

7. avatar Chris T from KY says:

My 590a1 does just fine. If I want a lever gun I’ll take a Henry.

8. avatar Shaun says:

All in all those the SXP is a pretty solid shot gun. I know a lot of guys that have tried them out for IPSC Shotgun and 3 Gun and say they work great and reload quick, however the probably has always been a lack of accessories.

I was about to pick up one of these last year, but I think it is only recently that I have seen a good quality magazine extension.

I’m good with my 870, but as things go, more and more gun manufacturers are manufacturing overseas. So who knows what you’re ending up with now.

9. avatar Rimfire says:

Wonder when we will find out the reason? basic same design since 1963 to now; has to be a tolerance stack-up deal or something. Don’t worry they’ll get it fixed. Like Shaun said, all in all a very good pump gun. But this should not have happened.

10. avatar Rimfire says:

Um Nick, it is a limited recall as only the 3 1/2″ chamber guns are involved. The Defender and many other models are not involved. All the 3″ chambered models are excluded, as Winchester said.

Something changed with the bolt and firing pin design obviously and I am sure they will make it right.

11. avatar SXP user says:

I just got my recall today and want to know if we’ll be getting anything in return with my shotgun since you kinda put our lives in danger…