LEAKED: Video of FNH USA’s Semi-Auto M249

The above video is going to be played on a loop all weekend at FNH USA’s booth at the NRA Annual Meeting, but if you can’t make it to Tennesee (or just want to watch it in glorious high definition on your own time) then you can enjoy it here. As expected the gun is semi-auto, which means that the shooter pulls the trigger for every round fired. But unlike the open-bolt military version, the civilian version fires from a closed bolt. It’s a huge difference when it comes to the way the gun operates, but it really doesn’t change how fun the gun can be out on the range. And yes, we’ve asked for one — in 300 BLK.

comments

1. avatar MIKE CROGNALE says:

MSRP? Or haven’t they announced that yey?

1. avatar Nate says:

My guess? A bazzilion.

1. avatar G A Scott says:

more like a bazillion and a half

2. avatar Bigred2989 says:

Probably a thousand dollars for every kilogram it weighs.

2. avatar Almost Esq. says:

Get me a legal bump fire version and I may be interested. Vanilla semi-auto, no thanks.

1. avatar doesky2 says:

Bumpfire should be totally legit.
      Tons of slidefire with bipod on Youtube.

2. avatar Jack says:

I’ve seen pictures from “the sandbox” of what appear to be AR style stocks mounted on M249’s. I would be surprised if you had very much trouble putting a bump fire stock on one of these.

3. avatar BDub says:

I’m just gonna wait for the 240B

1. avatar raptureRaptor says:

….*drool*….

2. avatar Sierra08 says:

There’s already an M240B on the market. Check out Ohio Ordnance Works – I just hope FN’s ‘249 is a LOT less expensive.

1. avatar BDub says:

14K!!!!! holy crap! I’d rather have the HCAR – at least that is a modern take on a BAR and only 5K.

4. avatar Morris says:

My guess is they want to sell them to average guys so the price point shouldn’t be that bad relatively speaking. My guess is under 3K

1. avatar Maytag Man says:

One can only hope. My bet is it falling somewhere in the 10-15k price range.

1. avatar Frank Masotti says:

At that price point I want the full auto version.

5. avatar Ryan Y. says:

Need Walther 22LR tactical rimfire version that uses the cotton belt.

6. avatar PeterC says:

7.62 NATO or no sale.

1. avatar Tim L says:

That would be a Mk 48 then.

7. avatar Lance says:

Want S.A. M240!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .30 cal rules!

1. avatar Maytag Man says:

I know Ohio Ordnance Works makes one. It has a pretty hefty price tag though.

8. avatar Kyle says:

Only problem I could see with one of these is that when you open the top up to reload with the gun hot from firing, if there are any rounds left, they can cook off and explode in your face. I would be afraid some unsuspecting new gun owner might end up having that happen to them.

1. avatar JAlan says:

The M249 is supposed to come with a spare barrel. You shouldn’t be cooking off rounds if using it properly. It would help if this worked like the real thing and was open bolt, but unfortunately the NFA exists.

1. avatar Kyle says:

I see; I went through Army One Station Unit Training for infantry and the Drill Sergeants always emphasized this to us. Overheating the barrel and cooking off rounds I suppose occurs in combat situations.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

That’s not much of a concern for the semester auto version. Maybe for Jerry Miculek, but not for mortals.

2. avatar achmed says:

Definitely a concern with full auto weapons that fire from the closed bolt. I’ve had this happen with M16A2s. Should be fine on a semi-auto.

9. avatar Joshua says:

Whoop, just messed my pants

10. avatar Morgan Gatorsee says:

Shut up and take my money

11. avatar The Stig says:

240B better be next.

12. avatar S.CROCK says:

I can already see the anti crowd throwing a hissy fit about this one.

On a bright side, can I get a legal 100 round belt for this puppy in ca? We have a 10 round detachable mag ban but I haven’t heard of a belt ban.

1. avatar Julian says:

I think the ban applies to belts as well, I believe the law refers to detachable “ammunition feeding devices” capable of holding more than 10 rounds, that covers pretty much everything.

2. avatar CV76 says:

Sheepdogs got a taste of mutton from time to time. LOL
      I want this mounted somewhere fun!

1. avatar chuck (hates nj) says:

Yet another reason for me to move from New Jermany and buy a side by side to mount one on the roll bar.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

That would be way far too fun to be legal.

3. avatar Jack says:

I bumped into a site that was selling links for the belts and they said no sales to mag limit states. So yeah, even the parts to string together a 100 round belt seem to be considered a large capacity feeding device

13. avatar Don Davis says:

Better put in a bulk ammo order, with auto renewal, at a friendly supply house… and get a linking machine at the same time you order the rifle, or your delicate little fingers will be raw pretty quick!!!

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

An “auto renewal bulk ammo order”? You’re killing me, here!

14. avatar Mark N. says:

So who is going to open carry it in Texas?

15. avatar Tyler Kee says:

Dear Tac-Con,

Do you make triggers for FN’s new M249? Asking for a friend.

kthxbye

-TK

16. avatar Bob says:

Need:

slide fire stock

Brass and spent link catcher

Dillon 1050 with auto drive and bullet feeder

relinker

Shoot load link repeat

17. avatar Dave in VA says:

Maybe I’m the only one here thinking it, but lame. I guess people can start living out their Call of Duty fantasies on the range.

1. avatar Timmy! says:

“Maybe I’m the only one here thinking it, but lame.”

No, you’re not. While I won’t go so far as “lame,” I don’t see the draw here either.

2. avatar Anon in CT says:

It’s like a Masseratti or Porsche 911 with a 2.0L natually aspirated 4 cylinder engine developing 104hp.

Looks so good, with so much potential – and yet sucks so bad.

18. avatar Reef Blastbody says:

Will Surefire 60 and 100 round coffin magazines work in the magazine well? Would be a decent alternate to policing spent links and relinking belts all the damn time.

Now, if it sells well, maybe IWI will have a reason to bring semi auto versions of the Negev and Negev NG7 stateside.

1. avatar Paelorian says:

Exactly the comments I most wanted to make. I also would like to see a Slidefire stock and Tac-Con trigger made available. The Surefire mags would be a good idea, the new Magpul 60-round drum would also be good and is much more compact. Lots of superior higher-capacity 5.56mm STANAG mags have hit the market in recent years. Magpul also has a 40-rounder, and X-Products has a 50-round drum. These products are better than the unreliable crappy higher-capacity mags that came before. If the price is relatively affordable this will be good for the nation’s well-regulated militias. Still, I would much rather have a Negev. I think Leghorn is making a tongue-in-cheek joke since 300BLK would be a poor choice of chambering for this weapon (most obviously the 20.5 inch barrel and cost of ammo).

1. avatar TravisP says:

You mess up your nice mags. Well maybe not, if this thing is closed bolt. But in the full auto variant it chews mags up

2. avatar Jack says:

As soon as you start putting normal mags on it, it makes me ask why you don’t just build a piston AR of some sort.

19. avatar chs says:

According to Wikipedia the Unit cost for these suckers to the military is $4087. So I’m guessing this will be around $5000 or more to consumers.

Still that’s amazing. I’m genuinely surprised that FN did this. What an amazing company.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

The military is the government, no? If they pay $4000 of our money, open market will probably be closer to $2000.

1. avatar Jack says:

Yeah, I know, $10,000 hammers, but as I remember it, when civilian HUMMV’s came out they cost more that the government was paying. Sometimes even the government can buy in bulk and save big.

20. avatar pwrserge says:

What do you want to bet they mucked with the internals to make it fire from a closed bolt? If they redesigned anything other than the trigger group, I would hesitate just on reliability issues alone. I have a rather nasty scar on my hand from creating a malfunction on a real one at MCT.

1. avatar barnbwt says:

If by “they mucked with” you mean “the ATF made them modify it to legal closed bolt operation” then you’d be correct. Who knows, it might actually make the gun more reliable somehow (cook offs from that light barrel, aside)

1. avatar pwrserge says:

I’ll wait for the first YouTube video of some genius trying to feed from both a magazine and a belt at the same time.

21. avatar Accur81 says:

Wow, it didn’t jam once?! That’s not like the M249’s I shot in the ‘Corps. They also fed like garbage using 30 round M16 mags. Still, cool guns.

1. avatar pwrserge says:

+1 my hand still hurts every time I see an M249. I’d like a 240G please. I think Broken and Unreadable sums it up best.

22. avatar barnbwt says:

Wow, only two tries to get the site to load far enough that I can jump out to the Youtube link before it freezes! A new record! Anyone else thinking FNH is seeing their contracts’ prospects drying up? First HK bringing over the G36 (unwanted/overpriced), the Remington with their fancy bolt rifles and ACR (unwanted/overpriced) and now FNH gets their turn (people “think” they want them, for now, and it will for sure be overpriced) –it’s like they think we’re stupid and will buy anything, or something, lol

Will it come in 300BO?

23. avatar Concern troll says:

This lurker has been drawn out of the shadows to object to the headline(and only the headline). “Leaked” implies that this is something that FN didn’t want to get out, Marketing departments don’t leak, they set up shills. There is nothing in the story that suggests this is anything of a bona fide leak.

If you want to take pride in not being industry shills like most of the gun rags, then don’t be industry shills no matter how minor. It always starts small. Blow it off as nitpicking if you desire but even lurkers notice.

24. avatar John Franco says:

Man, that is awesome! Definitely want to know the price on that when it comes out!

25. avatar Jeff says:

The 300 Blk requests crack me up. get real.

26. avatar ben says:

I hate it when it is full-auto and free. Why the hell would I pay good money to buy it and then shoot my own ammo through it one round at a time?????

27. avatar Dustin says:

Why doesn’t it come with a factory bump stock? :-p

28. avatar RenegadeDave says:

FN is doing cool stuff on the civilian market. Wish they enjoyed a more robust share of the handgun market as I feel their products are easily as good as competitors in the striker / plastic hammer fired segment.

29. avatar zeksteve says:

If its 2500ish I’m in more than 3 no thanks

30. avatar Kyle says:

Ohio Ordnance Works sells a semiautomatic M240. Only $14K: http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/rifles/semi-auto/oow-line/m240-slr-270

31. avatar ChrisCicc says:

I can’t watch this video because your ads autoplay, have no mute button, and are louder than the video itself.

I understand you guys gotta make money, but your ad provider sucks. When it’s not this, it’s crashing my flash player, or doing worse…