Introducing the Cobalt Kinetics BAMF

P1160539

Cobalt Kinetics is a company so new that their website doesn’t even work yet, but their rifles already look dead sexy. This is their entry level rifle: the BAMF. Not only does it feature a full-length aluminum free-floating handguard with a recessed muzzle, an appealing visual design, and enough rail space to make most people more than happy, but it also has something unique: not one but two forward assist buttons.

P1160554

Most people scoff at a single forward assist, but this rifle has twice the normal number. Why? For a very good reason: they have been made actually useful. The BAMF rifle’s forward assist doubles as a bolt catch release, meaning that if you tap that forward assist when the bolt is locked to the rear and a fresh magazine inserted, the bolt will slide into battery and chamber the next round. Useful indeed.

P1160574

There are other fairly awesome rifles in the line besides this version. The BAMF is a 14.5″ pinned and welded rifle, but there’s also a 16″ version and others to come. They also offer their own nifty looking stock alongside the traditional carbine buffer tube kit, which looks slick.

This entry level rifle is going to come in right around $2,895. There are some great features that might make that price tag make sense, and we’ve been promised a rifle to see for ourselves. Stay tuned.

comments

1. avatar Governmentknowsbest says:

Good night that’s sexy equipment…the rifle is nice too

2. avatar racer88 says:

BAMF = Bad *ss ****er****er?

1. avatar bobmcd says:

Shut yo’ mouf!

3. avatar Delta2actual says:

I’ll assist with her two forward “buttons”…..

1. avatar Phil LA says:

Nice rack…RAIL. Rail.

4. avatar Accur81 says:

To me, bada$$ starts at .30 cal. YMMV.

Still, interesting stuff.

5. avatar ropingdown says:

OK, I get it. You guys are shooting to become the Y Combinator of the small arms world. Well, good. Start-ups need a voice, too.

6. avatar CA.Ben says:

The standard bolt catch is already in the perfect position to hit with your thumb as you insert a fresh mag. I’m calling this feature as gimmicky until proven otherwise.

The machining of those billet upper/lowers is sexy though. I’d like it if they offered them as a receiver set that we could build into a rifle ourselves.

1. avatar DrVino says:

Agree. Especially since Stoner pattern guns drop the bolt with a tap anywhere on the gun…

This seems to follow the “more is gooderer” philosophy.

Nice handguard nonetheless.

2. avatar B says:

Just more useless weight. Next upper I build won’t even have a forward assist. Luckily, I’m a lefty so an AR (and AK for that matter) works perfectly for me. Index hits bolt release (and selector if I happen to be using a government one.) Mag release is a bit more of a problem, but ambi releases are an easy install and AR’s are light enough to use the right for mag changes if I have to.

3. avatar Tile floor says:

It’s a gimmick they are just trying to stand out in a crowded market. I wish them luck but I won’t be buying one

7. avatar Tom W. says:

Hey those Obamacare web rollout gurus needed a job too. Oh wait, nevermind.
    You figure for an otherwise “toward the top priced AR”, they would at least have a cool promo vid, or website up and running especially for the NRA Convention.
    Jus sayin’,,,,,looks very tacticool!

8. avatar Nick says:

You had me sold on it until the price tag. It looks gorgeous, but I don’t see a rifle that should cost nearly $3k. Are there other upgrades we’re not hearing about? Like maybe a Timney/Gieselle trigger?

The two forward assists just looks stupid though. I like my bolt catch release where it’s at.

1. avatar AllAmerican says:

Indeed. There really isn’t a reason why any AR should ever cost more than 2 grand unless there’s a giggle switch. I don’t care who made it, why, or what its made of. It’s just not worth more than that. That’s why no one really buys the SCAR. No it not an AR, but it’s similar, but costs a whole buttload more than it should.

9. avatar Reef Blastbody says:

Ehr…. ~$2900 for their entry level 5.56 AR? I just saw 2 H&K MR762s at my local Cabelas in the Gun Library for a few hundo less. I’d be more likely to drop that kind of coin for one of those than one of these.

10. avatar Mark N. says:

Thanks, but I think I’ll stick with my slick sided receiver.

11. avatar Stinkeye says:

I’m having a hard time reconciling the almost-$3000 price tag and the description as “entry-level”. It might be the cheapest rifle in their product catalog, but it sure ain’t “entry-level”.

12. avatar bolero says:

Reed Icarus

13. avatar MrVigs says:

Or I can get a Tavor AND a Stag AR for the same price….

14. avatar pun&gun says:

I love right hand accessible bolt releases. Even better that this uses an existing and ergonomic control, assuming it still works as a normal forward assist. Unfortunately right hand accessible bolt CATCHES are much harder to come by.

1. avatar Jack Griffin says:

+1. Example: Newer LWRC lowers.

15. avatar Sheepdog6 says:

Hey cool, someone made the forward assist do something useful.

Who’s the MILF with the BAMF?

17. avatar Donnie Smith says:

Looks like another over priced AR to me. Sorry that rifle doesn’t do anything for me!! I build my ARs to work an work hard. I dont think the feral hog population on my place dont care if I have a flashy $3000 AR or the ARs I build from Wilson Combat or Rainier Arms parts at the end of the day its just another AR platform rifle.

18. She’s been running for 9.5 years, only some of it’s been announced.

19. avatar Tommy Knocker says:

I just know she is too expensive for me.

20. avatar Doctorcorry says:

This company is based in my home town and they recently came out to our practical shooting range to showcase their products. While somewhat gimmicky, the forward assist/bolt release works really well. It takes some getting used to but I dare say it was kind of fun and refreshing. Great company and great guys running it. Plus they look drop dead gorgeous! (The rifles not the guys….)

21. avatar clickboom says:

Enough with the 3000 dollar AR’S that don’t do anything a 600 dollar AR does.

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

Could be worse. It could cost that much and do less than the inexpensive one, by being an unreliable piece of crap.

*cough*cabot*cough*

22. avatar Ben says:

So does this use a non-standard bolt carrier?

23. avatar Tom W. says:

Since loving and learning to build AR’s I can duplicate an LMT, (18 month back order) LWRC, LaRue, Noveske, POF, etc,.. be a brand whore of top shelf componants along the way, and still have bling leftover for a case of ammo and a pile of PMAG’s. And the website doesn’t even work? Thanks but no thanks. But like I posted it looks tacticool.
    Sigh.

24. avatar Dev says:

The words “entry level” imply something that is affordable, bare bones but perfectly and fully functional. To me that’s a $500-$900 AR.

25. avatar Royal Tony says:

At that point I’d rather spring for an entry level M-249S.

26. avatar Don says:

Those AR’s were hideous, they looked like toy guns… We checked them out at the show and we weren’t impressed

27. avatar Emfourty Gasmask says:

Yeaaaaahhhh…. no.

This is stupid.

28. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Before I dropped $3 grand on a rifle from a company so new it lacks even a website, I’d wire it to that Nigerian prince who’s been promising for years to make me rich.

29. avatar Defens says:

It’s a shame that gun companies lately have to name their firearms in the most juvenile terms they can come up with.

30. avatar Raul Ybarra says:

So, will the .308 version be called the BFG?