New/Old Bill Would Create an Anti-Gun “Department of Peacebuilding”

“This is quite an interesting bill,” TTAG reader GC writes, referring to H.R.1111To establish a Department of Peacebuilding, introduced by no less than nine House Representatives. “I’m still combing through it. But it essentially looks like a liberal wet dream that will essentially create a cabinet level position whose sole purpose would be to eliminate guns. It starts with paragraph 4 and all the absurd claims the author makes regarding gun violence. According to the author, 10% of the world’s gun deaths occur in the U.S. . . .

Sect 102, Paragraph b (4) “analyzing existing policies, employing successful, field-tested programs, and developing new approaches for dealing with the tools of violence, including handguns, especially among youth.”

Paragraph 7 (f) is real neat. Essentially calling on a propaganda push for peace and further down they call for “the development of such curriculum and make such curriculum available to local school districts to enable the use of peace education objectives at pre-kindergarten schools, elementary schools, and secondary schools in the United States.

I’m still combing through this proposal but there is so much fail in this bill I’m not quite sure where to start. Paragraph 4 would be a good place for you to start when you get some time.  You can’t make this stuff up.”

No, but The Peace Alliance can. They’re behind this utopian (“Conflict is inevitable; violence is not”) vision of a U.S. Department of Peacebuilding. This is not the Bill’s first rodeo. The Bill was introduced during the 107th, 108th, 109th, 110th, 111th, and 112th Congresses. And here it is again. And . . . there it goes again. Still, it’s the thought that counts.

comments

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

What a cutie. The rest of the post is demonstrative of a waste of protoplasm.

1. avatar Joel says:

I had the same thought.

2. avatar The Mountain That Rides says:

So it’s Minitruth, minilove, and minipeace, as one? I bellyfeel this, total blackwhite. Double plus good.

1. avatar Aerindel says:

Well done.

2. avatar Chip Bennett says:

I was just going to ask if one of the first three paragraphs renamed our country as Oceania.

3. avatar ToddR says:

Will they have a “Room 101” for those requiring additional re-education?

4. avatar 33AD says:

Stranger than fiction.

3. avatar younggun21 says:

Too vague to pass in my opinion but hey, we’ve heard the “pass it so we know what it says” rhetoric haven’t we? Should be easy to tear apart from the enforcement and limitations of federal agencies angle. It really gives no guidelines what “field tested programs’ are and how they would be implemented again existing policy. But again we have seen how federal agencies can easily take existing language and extrapolate upon it to infringe upon natural, constitutionally protected rights a la m855.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

You do bring up a point, why don’t we pass regulations disarming drug cartels in Mexico or other countries? There’s as much chance of them obeying those laws as our own criminals!

1. avatar styrgwillidar says:

Or ISIS. Let’s pass a resolution urging ISIS to give up all its weapons…

1. avatar Cliff H says:

We should actually just pass a law making it illegal for anyone associated with ISIS (or ISIL) to possess firearms, ammunition or explosives of any kind within the (supposed) borders of the United States. That would solve the problem right there, wouldn’t it?

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Borders of the US? What’s up with that? We certainly know better than anyone else, why not “anywhere in the world”? Our problems would be over, we could all go back to being stoned, which is the only way any of this makes sense.

4. avatar DetroitMan says:

“Conflict is inevitable; violence is not”

Tell that to ISIS and the Mexican drug cartels. They’ll laugh at you before they shoot you.

Yeah, I went there. Our progressive friends needed a reality check. Of course when it comes to reality, they tend to opt out.

1. avatar The Mountain That Rides says:

Progressives try to send me reality checks all the time. Unfortunately for them, they bounce.

2. avatar Gatha58 says:

Maybe they will die laughing before they shoot you ? 😉 Well, it’s a thought anyway. About as likely as some of these ideas.

5. avatar Bob says:

The more sheep they can make, the easier the shepherd’s job will be. ‘Cept in this case, it’s likely that the shepherd is a dirty sheep F’er, and the sheep won’t know that’s the case till it’s their turn.

6. avatar geoffb5 says:

Wasn’t this originally a Dennis Kucinich thing?

7. avatar bolero says:

All sponsors are Ds, including one from my state.

Flame away.

8. avatar William B. says:

Let me guess: in their “statistics,” the horrible, awful, terrible, gun deaths include bad guys killed while committing felonies, too, as per their usual strategery? Note to liberals: you don’t get to count bad guys who had it coming in your stats.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Sure they do. Check with the MSM if you don’t believe me.

9. avatar Rokurota says:

That’s not the Girl-and-Peace image you want. This is the one you want: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/lu4c0221edited_1_l-tfb.jpg

1. avatar John says:

Call me a meanie… I just posted the photo you linked on their facebook page. I love the hoodie! I’ll be banned shortly.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Look at that grin! She’s 60 years too young for me … sigh.

3. avatar GuntotinDem says:

peace through superior firepower

4. avatar Dennis says:

The gun even has the shoulder thingy that goes..uh..sideways?

This “Jobs for Bureaucrats Bill” bill would really fuel our economy. That’s really important since the recovery seems to be running out of steam due to a shortage of paper hats for the all-important fast food industry.

1. avatar younggun21 says:

+1 touche sir

11. avatar I1uluz says:

Nice shirt she has on, Virginia Beach is all about bring peace to the world. Home of all the east coast F/A 18’s and SEAL teams including DevGru. Next city over is Norfolk, home all east coast peace bringers, CVN’s, nothing says Peace out, like a nuke carrier full of planes and bombs. Then across the river is Newport News where ALL the CVN’s are built.

1. avatar juliesa says:

Coincidentally, I happen to wearing a t-shirt with a B-52 peace sign logo, and it says “Peace–the old fashioned way”.

Sailors have a different name for Norfolk, Virginia. I think you know what it is.

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

We don’t drink! We don’t smoke! Norfolk! Norfolk!

2. avatar I1uluz says:

I might have used the term once or twice. Will say that Virginia Beach does have really nice outdoor range. And knowing what I know now don’t think there are any better duty stations for firearm owners. VA does have some of the better firearm laws in the nation. Could only guess how it must feel to get PCS to Earl or Lakehurst in lovely NJ. NO NO, I’ll never say anything bad about NOPHUCK again, I swear!!!! PLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE, I’ll take another ship!!!!!

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

” Virginia Beach does have really nice outdoor range.”

Laughed until I cried. When I lived in Norfolk in the late ’50s, Virginia beach WAS a really nice outdoor range!

12. avatar dlj95118 says:

…a wet dream? Absolutely. Natch that this bill was fostered by CA’s own Barbara Lee of Oakland-way. She should know better.

SEC. 104. OFFICE OF PEACE EDUCATION AND TRAINING.

The peace curriculum shall include–
    (1) building communicative peace skills and nonviolent
    conflict resolution skills;
    (2) teaching and fostering compassion, empathy, tolerance,
    respect, inclusion, and forgiveness; and
    (3) promoting other objectives to increase the knowledge of
    peace processes.

1. avatar John says:

I’m all for peaceful coexistence. But, they just don’t get it.

They have no way to accept that not all people learn life lessons the same way. Some can learn peaceful coexistence by talking about it. Some come by it naturally. Others learn by pushing boundaries, and only behave peacefully, and often reluctantly at that, when they find out that boundaries push back. Not all learn lasting lessons, even then.

If 90% of the worlds ‘gun deaths’ occur outside the United States, shouldn’t they start there? Maybe they’d learn some real life lessons. I’d suggest they move their HQ to Sana’a for a crash course.

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

“(2) teaching and fostering compassion, empathy, tolerance,
      respect, inclusion, and forgiveness; and”

Class will be held at the gunrange.

We need Federal funding for a “Department of Marksmanship.”

1. avatar usmc says:

Turn the CMP back into the DCM with federal funds!

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

[APPLAUSE]
        For the curious:

14. avatar CT Resident says:

They have the audacity to quote Einstein on their page, as though they in any way compared to him:

“I cannot tell you with what weapons mankind would fight WW3, but I can assure you that WW4 would be fought with sticks and stones.”
    ~ Albert Einstein

I think this quote from Einstein would better apply:

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”

-Albert Einstein

15. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Really?
    During the lunch hour?
    I’m gagging here

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

Take two large whiskeys and call in the morning if you don’t feel better.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

He’s at work.

Make that a beer.

16. avatar Parnell says:

What numbnuts (singular or plural) introduced this idiocy? If this and bullet bans are all they can find time to do, send the morons home.

17. avatar Jim Barr says:

NO, NO, NO! But not for the reason you think!

I am ABSOLUTELY a patriot of this country, but I CANNOT condone using the Declaration of Independence as a supporting document in legislation. Why? Because if we do, then we must ABSOLUTELY re-visit a HUGE body of religious-centric legislation. While I personally would be in favor of it, Liberals will have nothing to do with it.

Consider the simple phrase in the Declaration: “…that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator…”

“Creator” specifically and absolutely refers to God.

Then consider “…the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them…”

Again, specifically including God in the reason for dissolving the relationship with England.

Therefore, by all Liberal definitions the Declaration of Independence CANNOT be used as the basis for law.

They can try to justify their cause in whatever other way they want, but to use the Declaration of Independence MUST open the door to questioning anti-God legislation.

Thoughts?

Read Jefferson’s letter to the Danbury Baptists:

To messers. Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.
      Gentlemen
      The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.
      Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should “make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.
      I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.
      Th Jefferson
      Jan. 1. 1802.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

“Creator” specifically and absolutely refers to God.”

According to who? If they had meant “god”, they would have said “god”. My creator was my Mom, as worshipped by my Dad. She did, in fact, create me equal and endow me with rights, and she did not need any witchcraft or other superstitious nonsense to assist her. She did it as women had done for 50,000 years before men began inventing “gods”. Making infantile assumptions and passing them off as though they were undisputed fact is reminiscent of our opponents in this struggle.

18. avatar Jus Bill says:

This is not the Bill’s first rodeo. The Bill was introduced during the 107th, 108th, 109th, 110th, 111th, and 112th Congresses. And here it is again.

OK, so the definition of insanity is…

Voting for a Democrat.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Repeatedly.

19. avatar mlloyd says:

Ridiculous. So sorry but that’s not the way humans are hardwired. That’s like teaching little boys to play with dolls and little girls to go outside and jump off the roof wearing a cape or play with cars in the sand box and make engine noises. The problem is reality and they won’t alter that ever. Boys will still make rubber band shooters, shoot spit wads out of straws, stomp on milk cartons and make them pop.

While I agree there is degree of breakdown in the moral fiber of our society, as Sunday Schools become a thing of the past and church and god and family increasingly cease to be a prevalent guiding force, it is however abundantly clear that a government program designed to combat negative influences would simply be ineffective and nothing more than another war on drugs, only wearing a flowered 60s hippie shirt.

Lots of bills are simply opinions that some crackpot would like to see become a law. Opinions are like assholes, everyone’s got one. I just can’t get panties in bunch over some of the ridiculous bills that are put fourth, like the bill to legalize killing gays in California or this bill to create a goodness, be-well czar or a Dr. Raymond Cocteau from Demolition Man.

20. avatar Tracy says:

Secretary of dept. of peacebuilding, Bloomberg or one of his stooges perhaps

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Entire goal is clearly to spend taxpayer money employing worthless “reverends” and other cronies and hangers-on.

21. avatar Lurker_of_Lurkiness says:

Or We could have a department of “teaching students actual math in school”

Seriously you probably shouldn’t graduate highschool without knowing calculus.

1. avatar Phil LA says:

But then you’d have to work?!

2. avatar A-Rod says:

If they cannot figure this one out then they do not need to high school –

6-1×0+2/2=?

22. avatar Roymond says:

Ministry of Peace?

What’s next — Nightwatch?

1. avatar dlj95118 says:

…nice B5 reference!

2. avatar Raul Ybarra says:

Awww…. Damn. You beat me to it.

That said… I’m doing a podcast on the show (www.babylonprojectpodcast.wordpress.com), near the end of season 1, now. It is scary in the degree to which it’s prophetic. Seriously, anyone who want a scary vision of deja vu needs to watch the show.

And don’t forget, both Bruce Boxleitner and Jerry Doyle (2 RKBA celebs) are from that show.

23. avatar Roscoe says:

A “Department of Peacebuilding”

Head in the sand isolationist pacifism…pure and simple.

Not a new concept really, just in this case focused on…guns and violence, and guns.

Did I mention guns?.

24. avatar smackdabonurass says:

Active duty military in 150 countries and active fighting in nearly half a dozen…

Yeah the US *feral* government is so experienced with peacemaking. They only know how to steal, kill, lie, and cheat, what they can’t take by force they’ll burn to the ground.

1. avatar Red in Texas says:

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Do we really have active duty military in 150 countries? Or is that just an impressive number pulled from a hat? I dunno, wouldn’t be REAL surprised, I guess. Seems like a lot.

25. avatar GC says:

Sorry, didn’t know it had been introduced before, sorry to clog your inbox RF. But thanks for the link to their site. The talking points crack me up: http://peacealliance.org/cms/assets/uploads/2013/05/Talking_Points_2014.pdf

I especially love the 2nd one. “… we must find new and innovative ways to save money and maximize the effectiveness of every dollar spent.” So lets “save” money by creating another .gov agency.

26. avatar MeRp says:

Isn’t the State dept, effectively, the Peace Dept, just as the Dept of Defense is, effectively, the War Dept?

27. avatar DaveL says:

Might I suggest an official motto to go on this new department’s seal?

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”

1. avatar JJ48 says:

Latin is too old-fashioned for today’s generation. Instead, how about: “If u wnt piece, preppar 4 war!!!1 lol”

1. avatar The Mountain That Rides says:

All boyz, load Dakka! Prpare fer WAAAAAGH!

28. avatar Former Water Walker says:

MMMMM…peace,love.drugs…pass me my medical marijuana…

1. avatar Phil LA says:

We laugh, but what about that question on the gun purchase form? You know, the one about “are you a habitual user of marijuana” etc? Seems like people had a shit-fit when it was suggested to drug test the urine of welfare recipients.

29. avatar Sixpack70 says:

This agency would be considered Fraud, Waste, and Abuse. It should be reported.

30. avatar Indiana Tom says:

To establish a Department of Peacebuilding which will declare war and fight with gun owners. To save the gun owners, we must destroy them. Fighting for peace in America.

31. avatar Gatha58 says:

Geez, how about a bill making it mandatory to tell the truth and maybe take some math lessons? Check out this unbiased link to see how far off their statisitcs really are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States
    How do these idiots get away with printing this stuff ? I would laugh them off the floor if I were a member of the House. This is just idiotic and we are paying these idiots for proposals like this. Fire them for crying out loud.

32. avatar gsnyder says:

Why would you want to be a Rep of The People for the USA and NOT support the Constitution? I am left to assume you dislike the USA.

1. avatar Phil LA says:

They can’t catch a ball, play an instrument, remember their lines or start a website.
      Only idiots work 8-5. Politics!

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Seems to work for the Prez and his, uh, well, lets just say Michelle (I don’t know her muslim name).

33. avatar Sexual Tyrannosaurus says:

What is the point of a department of peacebuilding if the Pentagon (aka department of mass murder) exists?

34. avatar Phil LA says:

I assume that this “peaceful” bill, if passed, will be enforced by men with guns.
    Kumbaya!

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

There is no doubt of that.

35. avatar Royal Tony says:

Well if this is a good idea then maybe they’ll be open to my plan of starting the Department of Pizza Parties. Why stop there?? The tax payers are good for it. The Department of Free Beer is next!

36. avatar Josh says:

Read something in a similar to this in a great sci-fi series called the peace warrior. In the future all the people are peaceful beatnik sheeple. All the “bad violent people” i.e. non conformist and people who feel anger like any normal healthy adult types are sent to peace prison. Then one day aliens invade and the peaceful people discover that not only are they not ready to defend themselves they are literally incapable of it from a psychological stand point so they turn to the prisoners of this so called peace prison to defend our world from the aliens. Substituted aliens for any of the many people foreign and domestic who wish to do us violence and that’s where this bill would have us go.

37. avatar Raoul Duke says:

Best
    thread
    ever!

38. avatar JohnF says:

Certainly they can’t object to Colt Peacemakers!