John Farnham provides an “ISIS Update, from a friend in the System” [via ammoland.com]
“We review all ISIS/AlQaed a documents, publications and videos here. Key learnings:
1) They go to great lengths to identify and recruit potential jihadis from Western cultures. Their literature provides detailed schematics with regard to building bombs from local materials, and detailed instructions on how to smuggle them through security checkpoints. Mostly low-tech, but effective . . .
Their literature, once rude and crude, is now polished and professional. They obviously pay big money to get good and experienced editors, as well as technical people. Well written articles, features, and interviews. All slanted to appeal to young Westerners.
2) They are no amateurs. I have watched countless videos of ISIS fighters aggressively confronting Iraqi Army troops. Here are my take-aways:
– High, almost reckless, degree of aggressiveness. They will come right after you, without hesitation. They display no fear of fixed, defensive positions, no matter how formidable. – They nonchalantly accept a high level of casualties. Inflicting heavy casualties does not slow down the rest.
– They are extremely competent with satchel-charges and RPGs and dependably employ them in significant numbers.
– They have good individual gear. Rifles are a mixture of Kalashnikovs and M4s. Mostly iron sights. I see most employing good cheek-welds, competent finger discipline, and using cover appropriately. They’ve obviously been exposed to some degree of Western training. Most are wearing new, camouflage uniforms, new web-gear, sidearms, and knives. Lots of Draganov/PSL variants. In fact, these are the only long guns I see equipped with optics.
– They are well practiced in small-unit tactics. PKMs provide a base of fire, while maneuver elements aggress the objective. The Soviet 7.62x54R round is amazingly effective in unceremoniously converting ‘cover’ to concealment. Oh, that our SAW did anything similar!
– No body armor, nor helmets on the bulk of ISIS fighters
3) Their cruelty and brutality know no bounds. They delight in inflicting pain on helpless people. No hesitation, no lamentation, and no mercy. When captured, you’re finished!
Obviously, many of these videos are edited, and chosen for their message, but ISIS fighters I’ve seen appear mostly well trained, very well armed, and well motivated.
It is clear to me that these people are not vulnerable to reason, nor negotiation. They believe they are living in ‘end times,’ and that it is their sacred duty to exterminate all of us. And, they mean to do it.
Expecting them to shoot themselves the moment police show up, the way a typical ‘active shooter’ does in the country, represents delusional thinking. They are not afraid, and they are able to plan well, move well, communicate well, equip well, organize well, and fight well as a team. They have no concern, nor reverence, for human life, even their own.
For one, I’m frightened. And for one, I’m always armed, and I constantly keep an M4 in my car, and another next to my bed.”
About John Farnam & Defense Training International, Inc
As a defensive weapons and tactics instructor John Farnam will urge you, based on your own beliefs, to make up your mind in advance as to what you would do when faced with an imminent and unlawful lethal threat. You should, of course, also decide what preparations you should make in advance, if any. Defense Training International wants to make sure that their students fully understand the physical, legal, psychological, and societal consequences of their actions or inactions.