“Why, no, Sheriff, that’s not a rifle in my pants….”

Sometimes I look at criminals, panhandlers, and other people on the fringes of society and say to myself, “You know, if that person had only put as much effort into a legitimate profession as he has into being a scofflaw, he could’ve made something of himself.” This is not one of those times. Enricka Logan, 29, of Catskill, New York, was arrested on March 6, by the local constabulary, reports registerstar.com. His crime? Trying to steal a Ruger M77 rifle from a local sporting goods store . . .

Ruger M77 rifle.

By sticking it in his pantaloons.

Logan is suspected of attempting to leave Shooter’s Sporting Goods on Main Street in Valatie with a 44-inch Ruger M77 rifle shoved down his pant leg, according to police. Store owner Chris Nastke said Logan entered the store and browsed the inventory for several minutes while avoiding conversation with him.

“I asked the guy questions and he just nonchalantly didn’t answer them,” Natske recalled.
Natske said he was busy tending to a customer in the store and asked a frequent customer to keep an eye on Logan. That customer happened to be former Columbia County Sheriff James Bertram.

“I saw the guy walk by me stiff-legged and I asked him if he needed help but he said nothing,” Natske said. “Them (sic) Jim came around a corner and told me he stole something.”

Yeah, he stole “something”. Understatement of the day award goes to Sheriff Bertram.

The Sheriff detained the alleged thief in the parking lot until state police arrived to haul him off to the local pokey.

Chris Nastke said he was “surprised” that Logan tried to steal “a bolt action rifle that was 44 inches long.”

Yes, I’m surprised, too. Mr. Logan is being charged with both felony fourth degree grand larceny as well as a misdemeanor offense of criminal possession of a weapon (since he was a twice-convicted felon, and thus legally barred from possession of firearms). I suspect that figuring out how to hide 44″ rifles in his pants will be the least of his worries for the foreseeable future.

comments

1. avatar Farmer Tyler says:

Wouldn’t have thought that would have been his first choice to steal…
    Maybe it had the highest price tag out of the choice he could grasp and he though he could sell it.
    I bet the handguns was in a glass counter top to where he couldn’t swipe one of those.

1. avatar Ozzallos says:

I’d be willing to bet it wasn’t as secure as the pistols. Walk into an Cabelas or even a Dick’s. The pistols are locked under the glass and the rifles literally just hanging on the wall.

2. avatar SpecialK says:

So is that a rifle in your pants, or are you REALLY happy to see me?

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

with a 44-inch Ruger M77 rifle shoved down his pant leg, I was thinking the same thing. He must have been happy to see somebody.

3. avatar Accur81 says:

Ah, recidivism. It rears it ugly head again.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Well, for you, it’s job security…

🙂

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

I am willing to bet good money that there is plenty of non-exconvict people out there doing regular things like domestic issues, speeding and shoplifting to keep all current LEOs busy. A ex-con is just the extra hassle and sometime dangerous individual that the state is tired if feeding and housing and cuts loose. Not that they have changed, or learned anything.

1. avatar Wiregrass says:

The sad part is the state will still be paying to feed and house them, it just comes out of a different bucket.

4. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

twice convicted felon, and he gets a MISDEMEANOR gun charge……..but a person possessing or carrying a firearm in NY without a permit is arrested on a felony charge…………WTF? But gun laws are meant to stop crime…….Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight………

1. avatar 277Volt says:

That’s what jumped out at me – felon in possession and it’s only a misdemeanor? It should be automatic prison time with no way to plea it down. Send a damn message.

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

look, IMO, more prison time is not going to benefit him or us who pay for his prison time. It didn’t work last time around.

1. avatar Aaron says:

prison time makes it highly less likely he will be shoplifitng guns while he is serving his time, though!

5. avatar davidx says:

Yo, dass right, fool; he get misdemeanor an’ you gets felony; how you like them apples? Yo, payback, mofo….

6. avatar JWM says:

Truth is always better than that shite hollywood comes up with.

7. avatar Nate says:

“I was going to steal a rem 700 Sheriff but the whole thing with the trigger threw me as a consumer.”

1. avatar Anon in CT says:

Threadwinner!!

8. avatar Russ Bixby says:

In his pants, eh?

Tryin’ to compensate for sonething there, perhaps?

Seriously, though, this guy must have an IQ of room temperature – in Celsius – in an igloo.

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Actually, he was trying to impress the cute girls in the store.

Most criminals are low-grade morons. Enricka Logan is a low-grade imbecile. I would downgrade him to idiot except he remembered to wear pants.

And the good news is — he’ll be back on the street in a week. At most. Rejoice, America!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Job security for A81 and the other LE folk.

Job security for the lawyers, the civil serpents who will feed and incarcerate him (for a few days, anyway).

And we, the taxpayers, get to pay for it. With no lube and not even the common courtesy of a… er, something. *cough*

Again. Still…

10. avatar David P. says:

But the Antigunners had me convinced that criminals only want AR and AK platform guns. I am proud of this guy for breaking the stereotype.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

SNYPUH ROFLS!

11. avatar VaqueroJustice says:

If I had to guess, I’m sure that this would have been the shiniest unsecured weapon on the used gun rack.
    The pistols were likely in glass cases, more expensive new weapons were likely either cased or behind a
    counter, but this one was likely out and unsecured by a chain or cable. It may have seemed “skinnier”
    than some other weapons, and newer/prettier than something like a mosin, thus, his choice.
    I’m sure he was trying to deduce which weapon his drug dealer would give him the most of his chosen poison
    for.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

Dunno about Dick’s in NY, but here they don’t sell ANY milsurp, and they keep the rifles and shotguns behind the counter (which is not always staffed). They also don’t sell any ammo besides 12 and 20 shot shells and some more fuddish calibers (.30-06 SP, .270, .243, and one time I saw a box of WWB .308 going for $50).

12. avatar jason says:

What was his plan?

1. avatar Ozzallos says:

Plan?

13. avatar mlloyd says:

This is why you lawyer up and never confess to ANYTHING.
    He could always argue in court that it wasn’t his pants.

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

A guy dumb enough to try to steal a rifle in his pants probably doesn’t understand his 5th amendment right to STFU.

Just glad the store owner was not charged with illegal transfer of a weapon!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Comedian Ron White once said:

“I had the right to remain silent… But not the ability…”

14. avatar Chip Bennett says:

44 inches long? Or .44 caliber? As far as I know, the Ruger M77/44 is only 38.5 inches long:

1. avatar anonymoose says:

44 inches. Must have been a .204, .22-250, or 6.5 Creedmoor, unless that length wasn’t exact.

15. avatar Curtis in IL says:

I dream of the day when we effectively remove the phrase “twice-convicted felon” from our vocabulary.

1. avatar Sexual Tyrannosaurus says:

Yes, let’s execute or imprison-for-life anyone who offends the government.

Yet more brilliant ideas from the law-and-order fascists.

1. avatar The Mountain that Rides says:

Or maybe, I don’t know, come up with a criminal justice system that can actually rehabilitate criminals, and punishes them accordingly for crimes they commit? But then, what do I know. I’m a viking berserker trying to talk sense to an amorous sauropod.

2. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Let the games begin! Bread and Circuses for everyone!

3. avatar Aaron says:

geez, how many troll names do you have?

16. avatar Sexual Tyrannosaurus says:

Same thing can be said about cops and soldiers.

17. avatar Sexual Tyrannosaurus says:

Same thing can be said about cops.

Or extinct superlizards.

1. avatar Sexual Tyrannosaurus says:

Dinosaurs aren’t lizards, Ralphie. 🙂

1. avatar The Mountain that Rides says:

Dinosaur
          Latin for Terrible Lizard.
          Tyrannosaurus Rex is Tyrant Lizard King
          You sure as hell aren’t a mammal.

2. avatar JWM says:

Since when is a trannysoreass a dino or a lizard? Looks like a troll to me.

3. avatar Sexual Tyrannosaurus says:

Although the word dinosaur means “terrible lizard”, the name is somewhat misleading, as dinosaurs are not lizards. Instead, they represent a separate group of reptiles that, like many extinct forms, did not exhibit characteristics traditionally seen as reptilian, such as a sprawling limb posture or ectothermy.

Feel free to ride your way to a library. 🙂

4. avatar Asexual Archaeopteryx says:

Guys, check your privilege. You humans are always discriminating against us poor victimized dinosaurs. I just come here to learn about the latest in airborne concealed carry and instead I’m subjected to rampant taxonomism and ornithoscelidaphobia. You guys need to be more tolerant and willing to accept diverse creatures in the gun community.

5. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Uhhhmmm….I think they were supposed to later become birds.

6. avatar LarryinTX says:

Isn’t a troll a dinosaur? And, after we accept them, is it okay to hunt and kill them?

18. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Damn homie ya’ can’t get yer baby mama to straw purchase???Don’t feed the trolls guys…

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

Couldn’t use the WIC card.

19. avatar James69 says:

Enricka there’s the first clue…..sounds like a star in a Drag show. Also, he heard they needed more help in Ferguson.

20. avatar Brer says:

I dream of the day when we will judge people by the content of their character not by the content of their pants.

21. avatar Morgan Gatorsee says:

I think this is one of those guys that “samples” produce at the grocery store so when Obama said it was easier to get a gun than fresh fruit he had to test the theory.

22. avatar PeterC says:

I wonder if there is a government-funded study on the correlation between homemade names and criminal behavior.

23. avatar Tex300BLK says:

What I find truly impressive is that he managed to get the thing down his pants even under the watchful eye of the sheriff friend the owner sent to keep tabs on him, and neither noticed until the guy was peg legging his way out of there.

If I owned a gun store I feel like I would try to make every effort to lay it out so that I could see or put hands on every gun that wasn’t under glass.

24. avatar Ralph Humphrey says:

Honest your Honor, I never seen that rifle before in my life!

1. avatar 277Volt says:

He was holding it for a friend.

25. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

OK, but we can all agree that at least the looming background prevented this felon from *purchasing* the firearm, right? So background checks are effective at preventing crime. Ta da! Turns out the gun grabbers were right all along!

26. avatar JamesInHouston says:

Any gun is still valuable to a criminal. Especially in NY.

Criminals aren’t terminally stupid though, they do learn from their mistakes and eventually get better at what they do if they live to make it to the next time. Ask any correctional facility guard. It’s literally the school of hard knocks in there and we’re paying for their education.

I think too many people are seeing this from a moral viewpoint. I am not condoning his behavior at all but being able to hide that much gun in your pants takes talent. Considering that a lot of us have difficulty concealing even a full size handgun without printing.