SHOT Show 2015: Bolt Actions — Kimber and Surgeon Rifles

DSC01964

It wasn’t even possible to scratch the surface of all of the manufacturers, let alone just bolt action rifle manufacturers, showing their wares on the 2.3 million square feet of SHOT Show floor space. I did manage to visit Kimber on Range Day and shot their Advanced Tactical SRC .308 chassis rifle with a Gemtech suppressor. Unfortunately, in the video below there’s too much other gunfire to hear that steel clanging from a couple hundred yards away. On the show floor, we got a tour of some new products from Surgeon Rifles, including the .338 Lapua Mag beast seen above plus some left-handed options and more. That video follows as well, along with some Kimber photos (including micro .380 pistols). . .

DSC01881

DSC01882

DSC01958

DSC01880 DSC01959 DSC01960 DSC01961

comments

1. avatar Red in Texas says:

Meh, not a fan of “AR” type chassis for a precision bolt gun.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Neither am I. Never understood the “got to fit it into an AR package” mentality.

1. avatar Red in Texas says:

Exactly. I have all my precision rigs riding on McMillan stocks, with Niseka actions, and Kreiger barrels. I have an almost exact Mk12 clone, down to an Ops Inc can, but it is not a precision rifle. The tactidouche fad really needs to end,

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

Obviously these are offered for sale to civilians also, so ‘tactidouche’ may well apply, but chassis rifles have proven popular and effective in actual combat issued to actual snipers in many countries. For instance, that Remington RACS chassis seen on one of the Surgeon Rifles rifles in the video came directly out of the M2010 project (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2010_Enhanced_Sniper_Rifle). It may not apply to my use or skill level, but the concept of using a chassis like this for a precision bolt gun is well proven in professional use.

2. avatar Kyle says:

If you live in a ban state like NY, CT, MD, etc…and want a pistol-grip AR and one that without a doubt cannot be labeled as an “assault weapon,” these are an option.

3. I think you miss the point. AR packaging is the cheapest way to get the adjustability some shooters (like my 5’4″ self) need. Also the ergonomics of an AR make more sense when using an optic elevated above the bore of the gun anyways. Most people use glass these days, not the irons so the old ergonomics aren’t desirable. At all…

Sure I could buy a Manners adjustable stock and have the action bedded by a gunsmith. But why waste my time and money when I can buy an XLR Element for cheaper and put it together myself?

2. avatar Jon in CO says:

Little late with the .380. Not sure why you’d want something that chunky, but to each their own.

3. avatar O-Hebi says:

After having built a few of these precision rifles in my basement I fail to see the value of these things at $5000 or better.

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

t’aint cheap

4. avatar Kyle says:

Surgeon Rifles? I’ll bet the American Medical Society and the American Board of Surgery do not approve 😀

1. avatar Timmy! says:

“Surgeon Rifles? I’ll bet the American Medical Society and the American Board of Surgery do not approve :D”

The first thing I thought of was ever since the first Ft Hood shooting, a buddy of mine has referred to the FN FiveseveN as a “Doctor’s Gun.”

5. avatar Kyle says:

Why are these so expensive though? One would thing bolt-action ARs would be cheaper. I mean you can build semiautomatic ARs for $500, so couldn’t there say be some okay-quality $300 bolt-action ARs?

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

I think the pistol grip is the only parts commonality between an AR and one of these rifles, but I agree that they’re absurdly expensive. Compared to, for instance, Shaolin Rifleworks, which also guarantees 1/2 MOA accuracy but that’s out of a 5.56 or .308 semi-automatic AR-15 or AR-10 rifle and prices are like $2,250 and $2,900 or something close to that.