Defensive Gun Use of the Day: Sticky Situation Edition

socasteeatm3

By Brandon via concealednation.org

A South Carolina woman approached an ATM to withdraw some money, but encountered a man who looked to do her harm in a way that we don’t usually see. He threatened to stick her with a dirty needle . . .

According to a press release, a woman told officers as she was withdrawing money from the ATM at the Conway National Bank branch in Socastee, a man approached her truck’s window, showed her a large needle, and demanded she give him money. She told police he threatened to inject her with the needle.

The woman told police she  pulled out her handgun and stuck it in the suspects face saying “I dare you to stab me!”

The suspect said “Are you seriously going do that to me,” and ran off, the report said.

The woman, also known as the intended victim, has her concealed carry permit and also happened to be carrying that day. She was able to successfully end the scary situation without firing a single shot. The bad guy took off and is currently being sought by police.

This is another story that highlights the importance of being aware of your surroundings. From screenshots provided by police of surveillance video, we can see the man waiting behind the ATM as the intended victim is getting ready to use the machine.

socasteeatm2

If I drove up to this ATM while this man was standing there, I would have gone on my way to another ATM. You can never be too safe, and it’s anyone’s guess as to what a person is doing when loitering in an ATM drive-thru.

comments

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Another possibility: keep it in drive with the brake on.

1. avatar James69 says:

Why?? Is she the police? No, she’s a private citizen faced with an instant threat of her well being.

1. avatar MamaLiberty says:

James, that’s so if someone threatens you, you just put it in gear and drive away.

This story made my day. The whining complaint of the aggressor was just too cute. Poor baby!

1. avatar James69 says:

Oh, that must be the PC response to a threat like this. I’m sorry, I live in Alabama and don’t know any better.

2. avatar Hannibal says:

@James69
          Don’t do a disservice to Alabama by pretending. MOST people there have enough common sense that they can imagine the utility of a pickup truck in drive when confronted by a threat. It can function as both an effective escape method and weapon, and one which requires no ‘unholstering.’

3. avatar LarryinTX says:

Everybody should recall that your power window is a weapon as well. Try to stab me with a needle while my window is cutting your arm off. And for those who haven’t, learn how to disable the “pinch protection” on your windows, it normally requires you to release the button and then reapply it, nothing more, moves the effect from “ouch” to “crunch”.

4. avatar James69 says:

@Hannibal Point is SHE DOSEN”T HAVE TO RUN. She has every right to defend herself any way she can. Looking at the pic it looks too close to do anything BUT draw.

2. avatar Larry D says:

Look at the picture, she would have to drive past him, he can stick his arm in and stick as she is driving by. Even trying to roll the window up, he would have time to stick her. She did it correctly, kinda like “go ahead, make my day”.

2. avatar Jim says:

Are you seriously going to do that to me? Yes, I am.

3. avatar James69 says:

Very lucky “DRT” bag, my ms. would have said “sure” and started shooting. Cause we all know the “DRT” bag will do it again and again and again.

1. avatar Rokurota says:

Not only that, but a needle is a definitive sign of imminent bodily harm. Attacker with a needle = attacker with a knife = green light to shoot

1. avatar James69 says:

Yep.

2. avatar Robert W. says:

Attacker with a needle = attacker with potential biological or chemical weapon = green light to shoot

4. avatar damarius ilion says:

That’s what the hell I’m talkin about!!!!!!!

5. avatar James69 says:

The woman told police she pulled out her handgun and stuck it in the suspects face saying “ Go ahead, make my day!” 😉

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

Her carry gun was reportedly a S&W model 29.

1. avatar Chris. says:

That is not the most powerful handgun in the world anymore though…

Gotta Upscale… S&W model 500 for concealed carry! Bonus – at 72.5 ounces empty it doubles as a stiff club!

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Nor was it the most powerful handgun in the world when Harry Callahan said it. And it would not blow your head clean off. But it made a good line for a movie.

2. avatar Clay-in-UT says:

I wouldn’t want to be in the car when that 500 goes off!

3. avatar James69 says:

Hence the “in his face” of course she could have broken her arm.

6. avatar James69 says:

I like the fact the criminal seems offended that she was not just going to hand over the cash.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Difficult for most of us to understand, but most of these people have been taught that the world owes them a living, a free lunch, and they think that when threatened you will thank them for the opportunity to contribute.

7. avatar racer88 says:

Good point about situational awareness. If I had seen that guy (and I would have), I would have kept driving.

I only occasionally use a drive-up ATM, but when I do, I pull up VERY close to the machine (no space for a person between my window and the ATM).

Another thing that concerns me about this story is the description of her reaction. She “stuck the gun in his face.” That conjures up an image of her arm extending out of the window, placing the gun, literally, in his face. I realize that may not be accurate. But, if it is, it would give the BG a potential advantage to disarm her. I hope she didn’t really stick her arm out of the window to introduce him to the business end of her pistol.

Another tactic (as has been alluded in a previous comment) is to simply “throttle out” of there. IOW, hit the gas and GO.

1. avatar James69 says:

Then the “poor guy” would have been injured and being on video a sure fire lottery win.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Or waiting for the next victim.

8. avatar gregory says:

He is lucky she did not give him a lead and copper injection.

1. avatar James69 says:

She should have. That would insure no further spread of this “disease”.

1. avatar James69 says:

Spoonful of S&W helps the medicine go down
        The medicine go dow-own
        The medicine go down
        Just a spoonful of S&W helps the medicine go down
        In a most delightful way

Everybody!!!! Sing!!!!

1. avatar Red in Texas says:

Thanks a lot, james.

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

“She should have. That would insure no further spread of this “disease””

Goodness me! Could this be? Industrial disease?…

9. avatar YO_V says:

She should have shot him, now this creep is still running around with his needle full of god knows what. Hopefully they can catch him before he actually uses his needle

10. avatar MoveableDo says:

I’m not sure if I would have fired, but to point the gun and say anything at all gives the perp the opportunity to do bad things. And only by the good grace of the bad guy was the victim not hurt. We have to be willing to take action before the attacker has any opportunity to take the next step and hurt us!

1. avatar James69 says:

That’s the great thing about being a private free CITIZEN. God bless ‘mercia !

No “Freeze” hands up, get on the ground , yadda,yadda yadda.

11. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Junkie boy(rhymes with monkey boy) needed a hot lead injection. Although at point blank range she might have gotten some nasty Hiv splatter…and as I type I’m watching a video of a scumsucker running with a 22month old baby with 8& 10 year old siblings chasing it and screaming bloody murder. Lowlifes abound…

12. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

I wouldn’t have told the police or press about that “I dare you” line. Could be spun later on as you consenting to the conflict and thus negating your claim of self-defense, or worse, as you enticing him into the conflict.

1. avatar Royal Tony says:

I agree. “Bacdafuccup” is at once more tactically sound, and legally safe.

13. avatar John says:

From the picture looks like the BG already has the needle inside the cab of the truck. I really question weather their was enough time to gun it and run. Also I don’t know if a dirty needle makes you in the right to show deadly force.

1. avatar Azman says:

Considering that a person intentionally trying to infect someone with an incurable fatal disease is attempted murder, I’d say yes.

2. avatar John L. says:

A dirty needle can indeed be a threat to life. Ask anybody who works in an ER.

For that matter, even if it’s “clean” a needle can still be loaded with something that can readily ruin your life.

Even if it’s clean and not loaded, it’s a stabbing weapon with a very sharp tip, and the geometry of the situation indicates the aggressor would have a good chance of getting it into an eyeball – a permanent, serious, life-altering disablement.

So, while I am not a lawyer and do not know what the law would say about it, I would have to read it as a clear and imminent threat to my life and livelihood. It didn’t happen to me, so I can’t say what I would have done, but I would absolutely put this in the same category as someone trying the same trick with a knife.

14. avatar ghost says:

Bottom line, she was not hurt or killed, and kept her money.

15. avatar Jab Henderschmidt says:

I woulda been like, pew, pew…pew…failure drill. 4,000 pounds automobile beats grains of bullets any day…unless it be a Ford…burn! Plus I hates cleaning guns. Just run the Prius through the car wash after.

16. avatar Dustin says:

I’ve never understood being in a position of imminent grave bodily harm and/or death and not ACTUALLY shooting the fucker… Waiting to get stabbed? Hello? This isn’t the movies…

17. avatar Don from CT says:

She had every right to do what she did. He deserved anything he got.

But from the perspective of the most EFFECTIVE way to get out of the situation, what she did appears to be pretty stupid.

If she had time to stick the gun in his face and threaten him, then he had time to jab her.

If she had time to stick the gun in his face and threaten him, then she had time to roll up her window. Which would have completely diffused the situation.

In my mind the order of things to do would have been (assuming the vehicle was in park). 1) roll up the window 2) draw the gun in case he started trying to break the window 3) drive away.

18. avatar James69 says:

They caught the guy. Let’s see what happens…. This might be a good “case study”

19. avatar Buffalo Bob says:

it makes for a fun story! but now this animal is still out there! Any incident that would legally justify you in pointing your gun at another, also makes it a legal act of self defense to shoot! And I believe in that situation it becomes your moral obligation to your fellow man, there is no doubt that he will certainly attempt to victimize another, and it could be someone you care about. Also you will save the tax payer around $48,000 a year to keep them in cage. it would have been more priceless if she stood over his bleeding sobbing sorry ass with some clever words!

20. avatar LordGopu says:

I just leave my car in drive so I can floor it. No concealed carry here in Canada but it’s probably safer to floor it than to try and pull a gun.