Quote of the Day: Exception that Proves the Rule Edition

c_fit,h_1280,q_80,w_720-http---images.contentful.com-ogz4nxetbde6-9A00a7MlTa6ka44C2gyuW-0ad894873d700ff977081bf24eb8332f-Mainimage_VinceVaughn_Mag
“I do (own a gun), yeah. I believe in the right to defend yourself if need be. Hopefully you’re never in that situation, but I think you’re fairly naive to believe there will never be a cause for self-defense. But again, I believe it’s up to the individual. I don’t believe rights come in groups. You shouldn’t get more or fewer rights because of what you believe in or what nationality you were born into.” – Vince Vaughn, in Playboy Interview: Vince Vaugh [at playboy.com]

comments

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

That’s money, baby!

1. avatar Larry says:

So money!

1. avatar Dan A says:

Y’all are so money you don’t even know it

2. avatar sota says:

Never been much of a fan of his works, but the segments of the article this quote evolves into make me say he probably “of our tribe.”

1. avatar the ruester says:

It occurs to me that having so many 35-50 year old men portraying themselves as loveable manchildren on the silver screen is not such a great example for the youth. This kid can play in my yard, though.

2. avatar pg2 says:

“of our tribe.” -Which tribe would that be sota?

1. avatar JWM says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say the tribe of POTG. Did you have another tribe you preferred?

2. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

Isn’t it called Quest?

3. avatar David P. says:

I had just read a article over the weekend that talked about 30 celebrities that were conservative. Some were no brainers like Clint Eastwood but Vaugh was one that surprised me. I can’t say I have been a huge fan before but his movies are better than Liam Neeson’s at this point. Good to see more in Hollywood coming out for guns for everyone and not just guns for those how can afford security teams

1. avatar Evan in Dallas says:

I believe he identifies more libertarian if I remember the article. Cause that’s why people buy playboy right?

3. avatar Detroiter says:

I’ve never been much of a fan either, but I have much more respect for him after reading this interview.

1. avatar Disthunder says:

Same, but it’s only fair, I have to keep specifying that I like an actor’s movies, but don’t respect them as people, so it’s nice to have the opposite.

4. avatar AW1Ed says:

Vince who?

1. avatar DickDanger says:

A terrible actor that’s apparently pro-gun

2. avatar An English Person says:

“You do not even realize!” {Mr and Mrs Smith (2005)}
      Obviously.

5. avatar DerryM says:

I think he could have said what he meant a little more clearly, but if you don’t mind reading it three or four times, he’s got the right idea. Every Human Being belongs to ONE group and every member of that group has Rights, including the right to self-defense. Sub-dividing into races, ethnicities, nationalities, tribes and so forth is an artifice of Humanity, one of the oldest and most destructive.

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

I think he was wording it in the right way so he can continue to work in Hollywood. I bet if you had a nice chat with him off the record he would have said things a bit differently.

1. avatar Mr Pierogie says:

That’s what I was thinking. He doesn’t want to commit career suicide in the anti-gun super-lefty hypocrite-central Hollywood so he’s dancing around the issue. He seems like a good guy though.

1. avatar DerryM says:

Agreed.

2. avatar DerryM says:

Agreed, Sixpack70. Good point!

3. avatar Grindstone says:

There are a lot of pro-gun and conservative celebrities in Hollywood. Their careers aren’t killed because of their politics.

1. avatar jamieb says:

As long as you afe already an established bankable star. The moment you slip, you are done. They are very eager to caste you aside and mock you.

6. avatar Excedrine says:

Well, this is something you don’t see everyday.

7. avatar Chevelier says:

Just reading for the articles eh?

1. avatar Craig says:

It’s like American Rifleman. You see a lot of pretty pictures and sometimes you stop looking at the pictures and read an article or two.

8. avatar Charles5 says:

Blind nuts finding squirrels and whatnot…or something to that effect.

9. avatar GuyFromV says:

Wes Mantooth is a decent guy.

1. avatar Rad Man says:

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!

1. avatar Sian says:

there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident!

10. avatar actionphysicalman says:

He is probably not as charismatic as other movie celebs because of his libertarianism. I have never associated libertarianism and charm. I am a pretty good example of that myself.

1. avatar Drew says:

Probably because much of charm is bullshitting and the libertarians I know are all to straight forward for that. Also that’s probably the reason the party fails to grow like it should.

11. avatar Grumpy says:

He gets some points for not toeing the typical Hollywood anti-gun line. He will probably take some crap from them for this and I might drag my butt in to give him another shot when I am up for some junior high humor. A opposed to say Taken 3…..

Personally, I would rather associate with people are are less than perfect but honest and share some common morals than with the pretty / top shelf snots who do nothing but look down on us.

12. avatar BLAMMO says:

A gun?! As in one?

1. avatar JWM says:

Baby steps.

2. avatar Model 31 says:

I’ve never been very comfortable shooting more than one gun at a time.

3. avatar David P. says:

Hey, I only have ONE gun too. The other 30 were lost in a tragic boating accident just the other day.

1. avatar Tim says:

You, too? Dang, I thought I was the only one that “unlucky”.

4. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

That doesn’t mean much, could be a matter of perspective…

During a get together with some of my wife’s friends, it was brought to the attention of a MDA type lady that I’m a “gun guy.”

When she appallingly asked, “you have a gun?”

I imagine in her mind this meant “have a gun” at home locked away and unloaded, far away from her…

To which I replied, “yes, I have a gun…”

My meaning, I currently have a gun strapped to my waist, mere feet away from where you stand.

The discussion that ensued is irrelevant. Point being, the answer change based on perspective.

13. avatar Chuck in IL says:

Vince is an alright guy. He enjoys shooting, and his trigger finger has touched Jennifer Aniston’s bare naked ass. Something I think he mentions on occasion. And who can blame him?

1. avatar Wiregrass says:

I don’t know if that helps with trigger control, but it’s worth the risk.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“I don’t know if that helps with trigger control, but it’s worth the risk.”

You’ll have to ask J. Aniston if Vince has a ‘hair trigger’…

(groan)

14. avatar KenB says:

I’ve been a fan since Swingers.

15. avatar Tile flior says:

Props to him for not taking the typical Hollywood stance on guns, and even more props for not being afraid to say it out loud.

Not the craziest about his movies but I’ll support him

16. avatar MAC][ says:

I generally like his movies. Couples Retreat was great. Here… I have a PowerPoint on that!

Not sure what’s up with all the sneering and malcontent in comments. Cold and cranky winter?

17. avatar Mike says:

I’ve always been a fan, he’s made some very funny movies, particularly Swingers, Old School, and Wedding Crashers. He’s made some duds too and has always done best as a character actor, IMO, the overgrown child-man who represents my generation of guys who can stay youthful and fun yet still be responsible when we have to be. I hope he is able to adjust as he ages and get out of his type-cast roles. I knew he was a pretty grounded guy considering I’d seen him around Chicago just walking around several times in the mid-00’s, no entourage, would say hi as you walked by and noticed who he was. It’s a nice surprise that he shares my views on politcs as well, there are fewer and fewer Hollywood types I’m comfortable spending money to see, considering they use that money and fame to spread their elitist views, thankfully he isn’t one of them.

1. avatar Cliff H says:

“Dodgeball”

Cheesy and sophomoric, but some really funny gags.

18. avatar Timmy! says:

Does anyone know how to clean “brain” off of a laptop? Mine totally exploded when I read that quote just now. I saw his picture and thought, “What’s THIS Hollywood douche have to say…” KABLOOIE! Now I have to reassess my opinion of him. I hate it when my bigotry is exposed like that.

1. That’s not bigotry. That is Prejudice.
      Bigotry is intolerance of someone who holds a different opinion than you.
      Neither is necessarily a bad thing to a degree. I think it depends on hate.

19. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Great! Out and proud…or not too proud. It won’t make me watch his movies but he’s OK by me.

20. avatar Javier says:

I like his acting not so much. But, I wish more like him would show their support for RKBA.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

There are likely quite a few more Hollywood POTG, they probably keep quiet about it so it won’t impact their career…

21. avatar Irish1776 says:

I think a lot of folks aren’t giving this guy enough credit. Criticizing the Federal Reserve, Centralized Government, and the Federal Income tax is a pretty clear indicator he is firmly rooting for the right team.

While not a blatant ambush, the interviewer sure tried to throw some sharp obstacles in the proverbial path. Did you see the way he answered the affirmative action question? Perfect. I’m surprised the guy didn’t ask him “Who would build the roads?”.

22. avatar Smith says:

Let’s not forget Dodgeball. That movie is an immature humor classic.

23. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

I don’t know what’s in this man’s heart and mind. The skeptic in me says he probably hasn’t done too much thinking about these issues, and generally wants to appear a little different, a little off the beaten path; but safely so. So he goes with a libertarian leaning posture, rather than the full on typical liberal.

And why not? There’s a lot of overlap there with liberals, at least superficially. For example, libertarians generally want to be allowed to do as they please, so long as they don’t violate someone else’s rights. Liberals wants to be allowed to do as they please, so long as someone else pays the bill for it all.

Libertarians, for not appreciating how interconnected people are and how challenging it can be to separatr people’s exercise of their own rights from people’s imposition of obligations on others, end up supporting liberals if only because of that initial superficial commonality. That’s probably about where this man is, without realizing it. I wouldn’t read too much into his pronouncements.

1. avatar Irish1776 says:

Two quick points….

It seems you may not have a firm grasp on Libertarian ideology. 90% of American Libertarians are of the Conservative variety, certainly more conservative than the RINO pretenders that have left us in the lurch.

Vince Vaughn spent a tremendous amount of time traveling and speaking in support of Ron Paul. It isn’t advantageous to his career in any way to publicly take the positions he has taken.

24. avatar preston says:

bad actor but smart man!