Kansas Senate Votes to Eliminate Concealed Carry Licensing Requirement

110414election_th1

“Today we must vote, and when in doubt, I believe that if we err, we ought to do so on the side of freedom and the continued protection of our most basic constitutional rights,” said no gun grabbing civilian disarmament advocate in the history of the world ever. Rather, those were the words of Kansas Senate President Susan Wagle on the passage — on a largely party line 31-7 vote — of a bill repealing the licensing requirement for concealed carry in The Sunflower State. Kansans will still have the option to get a state-issued permit if they want to take advantage of other states’ reciprocity laws. The bill now moves onto the House where it’s expected to get a similar level of support.   [h/t Mike H.]

comments

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

Well this is a pleasant turn.

It took a fairly long time for them to create their permit process, as I recall; I had to disarm going through there. Now, they are going to beat CO to constitutional carry. Good on ’em.

2. avatar Ray Ficara says:

Suck THIS one , Shannon.

Ray

Once the bill gets to Gov. Brownback, we’ll see if he’s a RINO or not.

1. avatar Another Robert says:

oops–posted mine before I saw yours. As I recall, Brownback used to be pretty solid–has he backslid?

1. avatar Scrubula says:

Never know these days… So many people ignorant to firearm ownership.

Judging by the fact that it’s Kansas, I think he’ll vote favorably.

2. avatar Toby in KS says:

He’s pro-amnesty and has been for the full decade I have been in KS. I truly hope he goes full constitutional carry, though. We shall see.

2. avatar Cody says:

Brownback pushed some legislation last year to force preemption on Open Carry, even including all Gov’t buildings that don’t have metal detectors. It also invalidated a whole lot of anti-ccw signage. He’ll sign it.

4. avatar Another Robert says:

Where is Kansas, Governor-wise? Sign or veto? If this keeps up, all the states will be issuing permits only for use in all the other states–haha!

1. avatar kevin says:

It seems like something he would sign

He already did preemption on non state level gun laws and signed the second amendment protection act, like the Montana firearms freedom act but making it a crime to enforce federal gun laws on the exempted arms (getting sued by the brady bunch on that one.) He also signed into law mandatory cleo signatures on class 3 stuff so if you want a registered silencer or machine gun, because you don’t want to rely on the second amendment protection act, you don’t need to set up a trust because of an uncooperative police chief.

So yeah I might place a bet or two on him signing it when it gets there. I like living here more and more every day

5. avatar John in Ohio says:

Woo-Hoo Kansas! That’s awesome. I hope that it gets signed and then spreads to other states… Ohio next… pretty please?

6. avatar Frank Masotti says:

Signed or not, this is still great news.

7. avatar Jandrews says:

Every time a state goes Constitutional Carry, I feel a little warmer inside.

Despite the noise gun grabbing orgs make and the media coverage they get, the American people just aren’t buying it. Gun ownership and Constitutional Carry at an all time high, crime at an all time low, and anti-gun politicians getting hit hard in national and local elections. Me gusta.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

8. avatar TheOtherDavid says:

Whenever something like this happens, the other side always says that it will be the Wild West with blood in the streets. And when nothing happens…
    Crickets.

Test states like this are perfect examples to demonstrate how ridiculous their arguments really are

1. avatar Scrubula says:

Would be interesting if we made a dated copy of each ‘blood in the streets article’ and sent it along with actual crime reports to the reporter a year after the bill goes in effect.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Day-am! First “gunfight at the OK corral, rivers of blood in the streets” that I recall was 1987, speaking of FL “shall issue”. We’re coming up on 30 years later, now, and they still pony up the same silliness! This is exceptionally fine news!

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

Larry,

Now you know they meant to say “Gunfight at the OC Corral,” right? Run around OCing and there will be blood up to a horse’s bridle.

9. avatar NJ2AZ says:

But we are still recovering from the wild west rivers of blood that ensued when we did this in Arizona!! /Sarc

Bravo kansas!

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Here in Wyoming, the snowbanks are positively red with the blood that would be running in the streets if it were not for the sub-zero temperatures.

And let’s not forget that those hippies in Vermont have been shooting each other in the streets whilst fighting over jugs of maple syrup for years now.

1. avatar Jandrews says:

What never seems to occur to these morons is that most of us are decent people by *choice*, not because some law forces us to be (as though that were even possible).

I’m always amazed by the inability of lefties to see the non-results their policies generate and the non-events that they warn of if their policies aren’t used. An example of the former would be exploding entitlement payments over the past 40 years with essentially no change in poverty. Spending more and getting nothing for it. Examples of the latter would be the fear mongering over expanded firearms ownership and climate change. The sky has been falling for 40 years now according to these luddite hippies and yet still hasn’t crashed down yet. It must be a ways up there.

10. avatar Jay in Florida says:

Thank you to the folks in and from Kansas for showing a bit of sanity in an otherwise insane country.
    And for indirectly telling our President and his ilk to shove it where the sun don’t shine.

11. avatar AllAmerican says:

Congratulations Kansas, and thank you. Your victory in your home state will help the rest of us abroad in our ambitions.

12. avatar craig k says:

Despite Gov. Abbot’s theater about liberty and open carry in Texas you still have to kneel before DPS, pay and grovel for permission. Texas pays lip service to freedom but is still a statist government. I exercise my rights here regardless…..

1. avatar Another Robert says:

Sadly, there’s a lot of truth to that. But there are ways you can carry without a license (carry in your car, carry on premises under your control, or with the permission of the person who controls the premises, carry from your car to such places, etc. )

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Look back in just 4 years.

3. avatar Garrison Hall says:

Yes, despite all the Texas rah, rah Joe Strauss is still Speaker of the House. Despite being nominally a Republican, he’s hardly a conservative. Instead he’s a RINO/Statist of the first order, the kind of guy who brags about being liked by the liberal Democrats. That fact that he remains in that position, and has been repeatedly voted into it by Texas Republican politicians, is a pretty graphic example of what political reality is like—Austin, Texas style.

13. avatar Toby in KS says:

On a day filled with abhorrent news, this is more than just awesome! Leaves me almost speechless!

14. avatar Sixpack70 says:

I loved living in Kansas. I had to move from there last June, but It was great for guns. Especially coming from MA. Now I am in NC and they have the damn pistol permits. I can’t wait for my CCW to get here…

1. avatar Excedrine says:

You can thank our state’s very own Sheriff’s Association for that, who fought tooth-and-nail to keep that racist Jim Crow hand-me-down bullshit. I’ll no doubt assume that you’ve heard here and elsewhere that gun control as a whole agenda is racist, classist, and automatically by extension sexist.

15. avatar sasquach58 says:

I think I’m moving to Kansas ..Better PRO GUN STATE and they ALOT BIGGER BUCKS!!!!!.I would .my wife WON”T …I know what your thinking…….GET A NEW WIFE !!!! L.O.L…..

1. avatar Grindstone says:

Actually I was thinking about your poor, abused shift key.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Eh, that shift key was obviously ‘just asking for it’..

16. avatar ADM says:

It’s about time KS does something right.

17. avatar SteveX says:

What! Our slight!y more liberal neighbors to the north went constitutional? Get with it Oklahoma!

1. avatar Joe R. says:

+1 No freekin kidding, like the thought on reciprocity permits, hopefully those go Constitutional too.

18. avatar Joe R. says:

Love the permit issue thing, but THANK YOU Senator Wagle for your words regarding Freedom and rights!

19. avatar PavePusher says: