Housekeeping: TTAG Rolls Out New Home Page Look

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 9.23.20 AM

As you’ve probably noticed, we’ve tweaked the look of our home page. It’s not an Earth-shattering change. But we think it’s a cleaner, sharper look that complements what we do: bring you the most entertaining, informative and honest writing on all things firearms-related. Now that we’ve tidied things up a bit, emphasizing our literary skillz, we’ll be rolling out a newsletter for registered readers. We hope you like the new design. As always, thanks for helping make TTAG a clean, well-lighted place for intelligent discussion on the truth about guns.

comments

1. avatar Alex Peterson says:

I like it!

2. avatar Oddux says:

Hrmm.. I usually don’t like when sites change a familiar layout, but this looks good.

1. avatar Tominator says:

Same here!

Good job!

3. avatar Red in Texas says:

Looks great.

How does one become a registered user?

1. avatar SpecialK says:

Careful, registration leads to confiscation… Oh wait… Sorry, force of habit.

1. avatar AllAmerican says:

Any users found to be unregistered will be refered to as a “crime user” and will be committing a class A felony.

2. avatar Robert Farago says:

At the moment, if you sign-up as a commentator, you’re in (with an option to opt out). As we move forward, a pop-up (OMG!) will give you the option to sign up for the newsletter, which will include special offers for our readers.

4. avatar Sam I Am says:

Still not seeing the hotlink button for the gun sales. What am I missing?

5. avatar Don in PA says:

This is pretty nice. I like it.

6. avatar Danny Griffin says:

Registered user? Does that mean if we’ve ever enteted our email address in the comment section?

7. avatar Pascal says:

Using Windows 7 or 8 and IE 11, on the left hand side under the pictures I see 4 red dashes. Not sure what they are suppose to be.

1. avatar Chris. says:

Social media links: Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Email

8. avatar Texheim says:

Looks good.

9. avatar justinintexas says:

Registering for email

10. avatar Felix says:

Firefox under Ubuntu — The four lefthand buttons twixt article and comments (facebook, twitter, reddit, housekeeping mailto) show up as what appear to be unicode boxes, the ones with four hex chars for unknown code values. Ditto for the righthand side next to the comments count.

1. avatar MeRp says:

Odd; they work properly for me, using Firefox in Linux Mint, which is mostly re-branded Ubuntu with a different default window manager.

2. avatar Felix says:

The four lefthand boxes have these hex values inside:

E6 E6 E6 E6
      04 05 06 07

The righthand box has
      E6
      02.

1. avatar Colt Magnum says:

Hex values? Uh…, my pistol grips have hex-head screws!?

3. avatar Felix says:

Got it! I use NoScript to block as much javascript as possible (note: I don’t do it to block ads; if you had simple ads that didn’t depend on javascript, I wouldn’t mind them showing up) and had to enable netdna-ssl.com to see the right symbols.

11. avatar Tom from Pennsyltucky says:

Where is the most appropriate location to field any layout/design requests?

12. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Fine with me. Like the rest of the world…

13. avatar Tom Stanton says:

Great work! Love the clean and simplified look!

14. avatar cdcarpeti says:

Less space for content.
    More space for ads with bandwidth-sucking video.

1. actually no. we haven’t added any more ad real estate. just changed the way we’re presenting the content.

2. avatar Tom from Pennsyltucky says:

Adblock Plus for the win, just looks like blank spaces with it on

15. avatar Stinkeye says:

Looks good! Now, can you do something about the “15 Most Outrageous Celebrity Camel-toes”-style clickbait ads?

1. avatar AllAmerican says:

Hey some of us sleaze bags like that stuff in here

2. avatar Tom from Pennsyltucky says:

LOL. Stop giving the targeted ads reasons to target you 😉

3. avatar Nelson says:

install “ghostery”

you should have it already. It blocks all the trackers and customized ads that websites make money from. Makes your internet experience much more enjoyable, here and elsewhere!

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Actually, I’ve got an arsenal of ad-blockers on my computer, so no problems there. It’s only when I pull the site up on a mobile device (not that often, fortunately) that I’m reminded how obnoxious some of the ads are.

4. avatar Gene says:

Wait… This isn’t TMZ?

16. avatar Mack Bolan says:

Not a fan. The problem I have is the fact that your content and images now appear smaller than your advertising. in the sidebar. It’s not a good look. Taboola sucks.

1. avatar Matt Richardson says:

This is my only beef… The content imagery (and thus the content) is dwarfed by the advertisements.

Despite my bitching about the ad content, I don’t run ad blockers because it generates revenue for the sites I frequent. I could live without the cookies and various sundry shit I get from these sites, but being principled is a bitch so I just deal with it and clean them out every week or two.

17. avatar HES says:

Looks good. Now can we get rid of the danged redirects to apps in Google Play?

18. avatar SteveInCO says:

Other than the fact that the damn autoplay video is still there, it’s good.

19. avatar Preston B. says:

I’m usually on mobile, but it doesn’t look good, advertising is bigger than the pics in the posts. It’s annoying.

20. avatar MarkPA says:

On the subject of registration, it occurs to me (as well as it has to lots of other folks before me) that the information age has already blown our cover. NRA membership; charges at FFLs; subscriptions to blogs and comments there on. Anyone who has neglected to go to extraordinary lengths (no memberships, paid cash for all gun supplies, never read or commented on blogs) is already identifiable as a presumptive keeper of multiple guns with an independent streak. That cat is out-of-the-bag.

This observation doesn’t imply that we should give an inch on registration of individual guns. That is a far too dangerous incremental step to take with no meaningful payback in terms of forensic value.

It does imply that one objection to CCPs (as a form of gun-owner registration) is probably diluted. If the Federal government has any plans to round-up gun owners it already has everything it needs already. State are another story.
    Few, if any States, have the resources to accumulate a registry of gun owners via internet surveillance. If a State wants to harass gun owners they need an FOID or CCP database. Moreover, they need to share databases inter-State. I.e., we have the problem illustrated by the Florida resident who was detained by a MD police officer based – presumably – on a trace of his license-plate.
    Likewise, a State database of FOIDs/CCPs facilitates the State’s job of confiscating the guns of individuals who become prohibited persons after having registered as gun owners.
    I am not comfortable with State databases of gun-owners being abused as illustrated above. Nevertheless, we have to anticipate the optics involved here. It’s hard to argue to an audience of voters in a hoplophobic State that their police officers ought to be kept in the dark when they pull-over a motorist who is apt to be armed. Likewise, when the police are notified that a resident has just become a prohibited person.
    I’m inclined to think that we are best-off:
    – pursuing CC in those States that are ready to abandon their CCPs or FOID card systems;
    – deferring our objections CCPs/FOIDs in States that have more serious restrictions.

21. avatar Powers says:

Looks good, but I can’t tell the difference. I have no eye for details when it comes to webpage formatting.

22. avatar sota says:

2/3 of the screen on the right side is now wasted for me, with nothing but blank space.

1. avatar PeterW says:

That’s for taking notes!

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

Blank is far more soothing than animated, flashing crapola.

23. avatar Jason says:

Love the Hemingway reference so subtly included there. Keep up the good work. Love the site.

24. avatar Model66 says:

This is Barack Obama approved Change We Can Believe In!

25. avatar Foo Dog says:

Works for me!

26. avatar int19h says:

Can you also fix the comments so that they have a “Reply” link regardless of the nesting level?

Even better if it could be possible to subscribe specifically to one thread and ignore the rest.