Kingston Armory M1 Garand and M14 “10/22” Rifles

Courtesy Joe Grine

Kingston Armory, of Liberty, New York, manufacturers .22LR caliber semi-automatic rifles specifically developed and designed to replicate the M1 Garand and M14. Kingston manufactures their receivers, which closely resemble Ruger 10/22 actions, from 4140 steel. When combined with Ruger 10-round rotary magazines and full size Boyd’s walnut stocks, these little rifles do a pretty good job of impersonating the real deal. The weight of the KA .22 clone is less than a real M-1 Garand, but is still quite substantial. I shouldered the M-1 Garand version and I must say that it felt like I was holding its .30-06 big brother . . .

Here’s the “M-14″version:

Courtesy Joe Grine

In the photo below, you can see the 10/22 style receiver and the 10-round rotary magazine on the M-1 Garand:

DSC02563

Close-up of the left side of the receiver:

Courtesy Joe Grine

comments

1. avatar Pascal says:

These should be the new Appleseed Liberty Rifles. Hope they shoot as good as they look and just because they have a 10/22 action that does not guarantee they will shoot well.

Any idea on price?

1. avatar m11nine says:

I have always loved the look, but not for the 7 bills they are charging.

What about this one?
        http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm (M1 carbine stock kit for 10/22: $119)

2. avatar Missouri Mule says:

Marlin did this in 1960 based in the Model 60.
    My dad has one.

1. avatar Noishkel says:

Oh yeah? Don’t suppose you know what model number it was? I’d be interested in looking into those.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Model 99-M1. Not nearly as nice-looking as these Kingston rifles. Marlin didn’t try very hard to make them look like the M1 Carbine, which I think was the idea. They pretty much just shortened the mag tube and altered the stock a bit from the standard Model 99.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Oh, and then there was the 989-M2, which switched to a detachable box mag, but retained the “not quite there” looks of the 99-M1.

3. These look really nice. MSRP?

4. avatar John Boch says:

Nice. Now, if we could just find ammo to feed them.

1. avatar Roy says:

And not pay more than 9mm prices for it when we do find it.

1. avatar Uncle Fester says:

For the dirty stuff.

2. avatar brian says:

its pretty well back to normal here in SC

5. avatar cigardog says:

Am I alone in being hung up on the use of a lower case “L” in the Garand sign at the top of the page?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

I’m not hung up on it, you on the other hand may have fixation issues…

🙂

6. avatar Sixpack70 says:

It would be really neat if the ten shot rotary mags ejected out of the top on the last shot.

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Dang, I hate when I hit the post button before I am done.

Of course the action is all wrong for that. The M1A looks like it could hide one of the BX25 style mags.

1. avatar PavePusher says:

There’s a mantra running through my head over and over and over….

“En bloc clip, en bloc clip, en bloc clip….”

Damnit!

2. avatar LongBeach says:

Instead of BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM*PING*
        It would be
        Poppoppoppoppoppoppoppop*clink*
        I’m waaayyy down. That sh*t would be infectious as f*ck.

7. avatar JWM says:

Is the reciever built from 4140 steel as well?

8. avatar Brian says:

Is no one else going to comment on the irony that it’s made in Liberty, NY?

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yeah. I had to chuckle at that.
      Can they even sell their own product there?

1. avatar troutbum5 says:

Pretty nice. I can probably shoot my real Garand for less. Until I run out of the ammo I reloaded when components were really cheap.

On another note, Tom, you made a fox news story about the gun buy back today.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Well don’t just tease us, spill!

2. avatar Hannibal says:

They can as long as they can use 10 round or less magazines, since it’s not a scary black rifle platform.

…I’m assuming there’s no hidden bayonet lug there, of course.

2. avatar Custodian says:

Irony at maximum yield. Just like there is no joy in Mudville, There is no liberty in New York.

3. avatar JaxD says:

When I worked in upstate NY as a waiter for 1 summer in the 1980’s, all Liberty was good for was, no id checks at their liquor stores.

9. avatar PeterC says:

Must have! I saw it at the SHOT Show, and it’s the best-looking .22 ever.

10. avatar DrVino says:

¿Cuánto cuesta?!!!!!!!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Mucho dinero… $699 USD

10247.44 Mexican Peso

11. avatar S.dogood says:

i want !

12. avatar Noishkel says:

Neat and all, but I’ve just never been that into these .22 clones. I’d rather see someone trying to make new production Garands and Carbines. Those babies aren’t exactly being made anymore… At least not in original configuration.

1. avatar Noishkel says:

Oh cool! That’s very good to know that replacements are being made. Owning an original is a special thing, but at the same time they will eventually all wear out.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Don’t know about the quality these days, but you can buy a new “M1 Carbine”:

13. avatar racer88 says:

Mmmm… intrigued! They look pretty good to me!

14. avatar Aerindel says:

As if anyone can buy .22

1. avatar Swarf says:

Right?

Like I need another rifle in some exotic, expensive and difficult to find caliber.

Chamber it in something easier to find, like 25-20, and then we’ll talk.

15. avatar J.D. Smith says:

Saw on Guns and Ammo last week where Inland is making new M-1 Carbines. Anyone know anything about these?

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

It’s “Inland” in name only. It’s a new company (started in 2012 or 2013, I think) using an old name. From what I’ve read, the new Carbines are pretty well-made, but I haven’t seen any full shooting reviews, just “first impression” kinds of things.

I’m not a huge fan of companies piggybacking on historic names like this, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t produce quality guns. Henry did the same thing with their name, but they still make great rifles.

16. avatar john says:

Initial reaction – very very cool, but…

The upper hand guard doesn’t appear to be well thought-out. The left side of the part has a squared corner instead of matching the slope of the stock (making it look like it was an after-thought instead of being made for the rifle), and the right side looks like someone accidentally knocked the corner off.

Will the receiver accept a scope mount? My eyes are old and iron sights are my nemesis.

I’d really like to see someone do a 5.56 version of the garand…

1. avatar Emperor P. says:

My 1944 M1 with GI post war stock has the same right side corner on cover. It is correct. It just looks like a defect/chip.

2. avatar Pascal says:

The receiver is a 10/22. While the top is not pictures above I assume you have the original scope rail screw holes on top that would allow a rail and scope to be mounted.

A 5.56 would have to be a brand new gun. See a Mini-14 as close as you get.

17. avatar test says:

I’m loving the garand version. The M14 version looks a bit off.

-D

18. avatar Miggy Roseone says:

my friend was looking for MN DoR M1 yesterday and saw a website that has lots of sample forms . If you need MN DoR M1 as well , here’s a https://goo.gl/xiaZFD

19. avatar Ken says:

I own one, nothing good to say about it. Fact is, it has major issues. Until real owners start posting positive reviews I would avoid buying one.

20. avatar PeterC says:

I got one a couple of weeks ago, and I’m enjoying it immensely. Actual weight is 9 3/4 lbs., a quarter pound more than the original .30 caliber version. Trigger pull is 2 lbs., and you can print nickel-sized 10-round groups at 25 yards all day. Granted, at $699, it’s not for everyone…neither is a $100k Ferrari.