Ruger’s 22 Charger is Back

charger

While I missed the Christmas Day press release, a friend who’s big into Ruger Chargers made sure to pass along the news. Not only is Ruger re-releasing the 22 Charger a year or two after putting it out to pasture, but they’ve taught this pony a few new tricks. Most notably, it now uses an M4/AR-15 pistol grip, which means near-infinite aftermarket replacement options are available, it has a factory-threaded barrel (1/2×28″), and it also comes in Takedown flavor. There are a few other items of note, and we’ll leave that to Ruger’s press release, which follows. . .

Ruger Introduces the Re-engineered 22 Charger Pistol and the New 22 Charger Takedown
December 25, 2014

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) proudly announces the re-engineered 22 Charger™ pistol with enhanced features and introduces the new 22 Charger Takedown pistol. First introduced in 2007, the 22 Charger pistol became a favorite for .22 LR pistol shooters and plinkers alike.

Weighing just under 3.25 pounds, the new 22 Charger pistol has an overall length of 19.25 inches and features a 10-inch precision rifled, threaded barrel with a 1/2″-28 thread pattern to accept most popular muzzle accessories. The redesigned brown laminated stock sports a standard A2-style pistol grip, which makes the platform easy to customize with the MSR grip of your choice. The matte black receiver features a factory installed Picatinny rail which provides ample space for a variety of optics, from scopes to red-dot sights. Like the original 22 Charger, these new pistols are built on the legendary Ruger® 10/22® platform and offer the same proven reliability.

The new 22 Charger Takedown model has all the features of the standard model, plus the very popular quick disconnect feature found on the full sized 10/22 Takedown® rifle. This feature allows the firearm to be taken down quickly and easily by simply pushing the recessed lever in the forend, twisting the subassemblies, and pulling them apart. The 22 Charger Takedown features a Green Mountain laminate stock and comes in a custom hard case for easy transport to the range.

Also new and included with both models is the BX-15™ magazine, a 15-round version of the very popular BX-25® magazine. The BX-15 is the perfect height when shooting with the included bipod from either the prone position or from a bench. The BX-15 fits all 10/22, 22 Charger, Ruger 77/22® and Ruger American Rimfire® rifles chambered in .22 LR. The bipod (included with both models) easily attaches to the forend.

For more information on the 22 Charger, 22 Charger Takedown, BX-15 or to learn more about the extensive line of award-winning Ruger firearms, visit Ruger.com or Facebook.com/Ruger. To find accessories for the 22 Charger or other Ruger firearms, visit ShopRuger.com.

h/t Cases4Cases

comments

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

What is typical muzzle velocity from typical .22 LR rounds?

1. avatar SigGuy says:

Just looked on rugerforums and a few people report that the 10″ barrel on this will cut down on velocity ~200fps vs the 16″ barrel. A typical load, around 40gr, is about 1200fps normally so about 1000 out of this gun.

1. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Sounds closer to 4″ barrel velocities. You’ll usually get around 80-90lbs/ft out of a pistol. A 36gr bullet at 1000fps is just under 80lbs/ft.

2. avatar Kyle in CT says:

Target .22 is usually listed at ~1080 fps, high velocity usually ~1400 fps. Don’t know what it would be out of this shortened barrel, but I’m not sure it would be fair to expect subsonic to cycle the action reliably anyway.

2. avatar SigGuy says:

No sig brace attachment?

1. avatar Chuck in IL says:

I suppose someone will come out with a grip that incorporates a sig type brace. Beat them to it. It’s your chance to make millions.

2. avatar Andy says:

Knoxx Axiom stock takes an AR type adjustable stock. You can trim off the tabs for the adjustable portion and slide a Sig brace onto the tube.

As demonstrated here:

Text and details: http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/2me3yf/1022_charger_sbx/

3. avatar Bob101 says:

I have to get one. I use the AR-7 over my 10/22 takedown in my survival pack because it takes up far less space than a full size 10/22 Takedown. It looks like the Charger Takedown may change everything.

1. avatar ValleyForge77 says:

+ 1.

2. avatar David P. says:

My first thought too

3. avatar S. Cautela says:

I would be slightly more interested if it had a black all-weather composite stock.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

The aftermarket will likely whip something up…

4. avatar KingSarc48265 says:

I wonder if the barrel would fit on a full size 10/22 TD.
    Hey ATF. You can drop the sbr and sbs bull from the nfa registry any day now. 6 inches missing from the end of a barrel does not make any rifle or shotgun unworthy of common ownership.

1. avatar Dave in VA says:

I was wondering the same thing. Would I be able to take the Charger TD barrel and swap it on to full size TD?

1. avatar Xanderbach says:

Current word on the forums is that it is the same attachment… So yes, as far as I know right now (all hearsay) it will fit.

Basically, I can say without a doubt- “Maybe.”

1. avatar John M. says:

How do you spell “constructive intent”?

2. avatar DJ9 says:

F – E – L – O – N – Y

3. avatar Jeremy S says:

Owning both would not qualify as constructive intent, just like owning both an AR rifle and AR pistol isn’t constructive intent to make an SBR even though you could easily swap uppers. Now, owning an AR rifle and a pistol upper but no pistol lower is considered constructive intent. And Thompson/Center contenders can be purchased in a way that allows you to switch back and forth between pistol configuration and rifle configuration and as long as you don’t put the wrong barrel on the wrong stock you’re in the clear. This one went to WAY up the court system before it was determined that you could, indeed, go back and forth between rifle and pistol config (see my MechTech CCU review for more info on that also).

The whole constructive possession thing is absolutely ridiculous in the first place!… but there it is.

…what’s worse is that 1) just owning the items doesn’t mean you’re going to assemble them into the illegal configuration, so “constructive possession” is stupid as they’re saying it’s a major felony just to have the capability of committing a crime. I mean, I have lots of booze in the house here and I also have a car but I’m not a felon because I have the constructive ability to drive drunk. 2) assembling a rifle with a <16″ barrel doesn’t mean you’re hurting anyone. It could never leave your house. Maybe it’s a .22 and you just plink cans in your backyard with it. It’s still a 10-year felony. 10 years (minimum sentence, no less) in Federal prison for not even doing anything to anybody else.

Seriously, take it just one step further and simply owning a hacksaw and any rifle will be constructive possession of an SBR.

4. avatar Quint says:

I watched the owner of a local gun shop do this, put the takedown charger barrel on the fullsize stock, so yes it is possible. What bothered me was that he did it as a selling point, he was actually suggesting to another customer that they should do this. While the shop is a Class 3 weapons dealer the whole demonstration was very shady.

long story shirt, yes you can do it, I have seen it with my own 2 eyes. Though the dyed wood on the charger fore-end looks really odd next to the fullsize 10/22 stock.

5. avatar Accur81 says:

That’s awesome! The 10/22 is my favorite semi auto 22, and seems to also be the most reliable. A Charger takedown would be amazingly fun and still relatively cheap to shoot. There doesn’t seem to be room for a Sig Brace option, which would really add to the versatility of this *pistol.*

1. avatar ValleyForge77 says:

To me, the whole benefit over a 10/22 Takedown is that it’s smaller, shorter, more portable. With zero recoil, I wouldn’t want a SB.

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

I commented to my buddy that the back of the stock should have a removable cap. Take it off and the receiver can accept an AR buffer tube. This would allow for a pistol tube with SB15 brace OR you could file a Form 1 and pay your $200 and register it as an SBR then run any AR stock you please…

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Will Ruger offer the Charger takedown in stainless?

2. avatar Arluv says:

10/22 takedown pistol with folding mechanism and SB…all of your issues are solved.

6. avatar LarryinTX says:

Damn. That thing looks like FUN!

7. avatar DJ9 says:

I’m a huge Ruger fan in general, and have several 10/22 rifles, but the reason this thing was discontinued originally was that it is neither fish nor fowl, and because of that, it didn’t sell very well. Most tasks that can be done with a Charger can also be done better by something else (minor exceptions such as those listed above, aside). The changes will probably help its popularity a tiny bit, but the best it can hope for is to be considered the finest darn modern buggy whip on the market.

1. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

One thing about Ruger, for a big company they have no qualms about building niche products.

8. avatar crzapy says:

I have never really wanted a 10/22 until now!!

9. avatar Texsylvanian says:

Yuck. I love my 10/22 as much as the next guy but I have zero interest in this product.

10. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

Oh look, another gun that’s illegal in NJ.

Here it’s considered an assault weapon (based on the magazine location and unloaded weight greater than 50 ounces).

1. avatar Stan says:

LOL! I feel you, bro. Every “new” handgun is illegal in Kommiefornia. No microstamping, no sale. And “new” is defined by some anti-gun bureaucrats in Sacramento. I hate this state. But because of my wife’s condition I can’t move.

2. avatar beefeater says:

Illegal in NY as well…

Loading a magazine outside of the grip turns a regular pistol into a baby-killing assault weapon don’t ya know.

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

Yeah we can thank the Tec-9’s inexplicable popularity among gang types a little ways into the “war on drugs” for that gem of a rule. And bans on switch blades and “automatic” knives in much of the country due only to stigma from gangs back in the West Side Story days. That one still frustrates me, because they’re SAFER and easier to operate when they can be opened with one hand and they are no dang more dangerous than any other knife on the planet. The whole thing is ridiculous. It’s perception and nothing else.

1. avatar Joe says:

Jeremy, it’s just another example of government doing things based on how they “feel”, not based on evidence and truth. Most of government operates this way, from the criminal justice system to foreign policy.

The criminal justice system operates almost entirely on feelings, not based on evidence – “I feel you should be sentenced to….” Not “evidence shows me that sentencing you to X will reduce the chance of you getting in trouble again (recidivate)”. Operating on how we feel or emotion is stupid and ineffectual. Our crime is out of control and we are wasting billions a year on useless corrections industry and fat police budgets.

SBRs, switchblades… Is there proof or evidence that these things harm society? If there’s no science supporting the ban, WHY IS IT BANNED? Why are we banning things based on emotion? Why are we doing anything based on emotion?

Folks, we can do something about this: require government to pass no law unless there is scientific evidence to support doing so. It’s called evidence based practice, and lots of people are embracing this sort of decision making, and some are actually requiring it.

2. avatar BlueBronco says:

Farting in NY is illegal.

11. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Totally digging the takedown version.

12. avatar iCONOCLAST says:

The market for the goofiest firearms never ceases to amaze me

13. avatar Chuck in IL says:

Me no like gun. Gun is crap! If you like gun, you voodoo head!

Get over yourselves. I bought one because it’s FUN. Thats as good as reason as any.

1. avatar Texsylvanian says:

Trying to convince us or yourself?

We don’t have to get over anything. If you purchased this and you like it then good for you. For me, I have no use for it. My guns are tools, and all of them are plenty fun as a bonus. Don’t get nasty when someone doesn’t share your tastes.

14. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Hmmm… almost 2 pounds lighter than a 10/22 carbine, $60 cheaper than a 22/45 target, and it comes with a bipod? Theoretically it should be more accurate than the carbine since the barrel’s girth to length ratio is higher. Most of us never use our .22s for anything but plinking anyway, throw in a BX trigger and top it off with a decent scope and this might be a pretty fun little toy.

1. avatar DJ9 says:

“Throw in” the BX trigger, and it’s no longer cheaper than the 22/45 target.

1. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Throw in a $500 Leupold scope and it’s really not cheaper. Which is why I’m not whipping out my credit card just yet. I don’t have any extended eye relief scopes laying around and from what I’ve read they seem to be a fickle lot, although I don’t think I’d need to worry about recoil. Still, I’d like to put a scope on it that will probably cost as much as the gun, making it a $600 toy instead of a $300 one. And that doesn’t even count the high cost of .22 ammo these days.

Considering it’s basically a range toy it would be nice if it already came with the BX trigger, but I didn’t see a word about the trigger on Ruger’s site, so I’m sure that’s an extra $90. Looks like unlike most everything else Ruger sells I think I’d have to buy rings for the scope too.

15. avatar cmeat says:

see, that would be different from the brazilian nylon66 and the x5. takedown sounds like a hoot. then if i meet a full size takedown i’ll have a new best friend.
    gonna put ’em in the shop?

16. avatar ARluv says:

I see these things selling in Kit Format with both a Full Stock and a Stabilizing Brace kit with both barrels. It’s exactly what they do with the Contender pistols/rifles (which I’m a big fan of). You’ve got everything you need in one simple kit.

17. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Looks like another busy week for Sturm Ruger & Co.

1. avatar DJ9 says:

Yes, they definitely like getting a bunch of word-of-mouth/tongue-wagging going right before the Shot Show to boost their new stuff.

18. avatar Don says:

I’ve never been interested in this in the past but for some reason I’m reconsidering it now. It may be fun to try to shoot metallic silhouettes with it. May also be a decent truck gun since it’s a pistol and could be concealed in a vehicle with a loaded magazine in a single container under my LTCF.

19. avatar Ben says:

think it would be neet if they packaged it so you can do pistol or rifle configuration. neither of the original 10/22 stocks would accomodate that. looks like its time to hit the shop bench.

20. avatar Chevelier says:

I’d be interested, hypothetically, in the takedown model if you could, hypothetically, swap barrels with a standard 10/22 takedown rifle. Hypothetically.

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Pistol to rifle conversion is legal, going back to pistol is questionable there is massive amount of debate and the TC contender/Encore blurred that line and received specialaattention.

1. avatar Mark says:

Not sure where you’re getting “debate” about this?

My understanding is that pistol/rifle/pistol is fine on a federal level, but may be banned in certain states.
        rifle/pistol/rifle is banned federally.. (without an sbr stamp)

2. avatar Jeremy S says:

Nothing hypothetical. Apparently they’re swappable. This would be quite cool for the person who wants to register their 10/22 Takedown as an SBR and then have the ability to swap back and forth for the shorter barrel as desired.

1. avatar Chevelier says:

It’d also be quite cool for the person who doesn’t want to register an SBR. Hypothetically. (yeah don’t worry I’m done with that word. I hit my quota for the day).

21. avatar Barry says:

What a rig to SBR and get a can for.

22. avatar Lfshtr says:

Might be fun, but targets at 80-100 yards? O.k. I guess. Why put a scope on that yardage? My M14 s/c 16 scoped is pretty good at 150+, but now your in a .308 cal. and much heavier! Maybe iron sights would be proper for this .22. Hmmm, mybe i’ll scope my sr.22? Always be safe out there.

23. avatar Bob says:

I can’t imagine a possible use for this gun, that either the 10/22 or Standard Auto can’t do better.