Housekeeping: Pardon our Comment Complications

internet-commenters

The good news is that as of about 11:00 a.m. yesterday, we’re now on much more capacious dedicated servers that have solved our bandwidth problems. It seems that SHOT Show traffic was just too much for the hamsters spinning the wheels behind the curtain. Only now some users are having comment-related problems. Please be aware that we’re aware and are working on resolving the situation. Thank you for your patience.

comments

1. avatar Gordon Wagner says:

Congratulations. Those are problems you want to have.

2. avatar AllAmerican says:

There’s something else ya’ll might want to look into thar just started happening, I’ve been having other commenters user names and emails pop up where mine should be where you go to comment. It seems like some kind of security breach. It just started now when I read this article.

1. avatar TheBear says:

They are aware.

1. avatar Fuque says:

and aren’ taking the comment section down but continue to let username/email address combos leak out.

2. avatar John in Ohio says:

I have been pretty much offline until last night. Before seeing this TTAG story, I was concerned that either I had a virus messing with cookies or that TTAG was having some sort of security leak. I was hoping for the former but it looks to unfortunately be the latter. If those are connected monikers and real email addresses, hopefully TTAG will shut down comments until it is resolved.

3. avatar Timmy! says:

I’ve seen at least three different names and e-mail addresses on the “Leave a Reply” form this morning. The first I went, “Do whu?” The second, after reading about others posting under the wrong name, I was like, “Ain’t got it fixed yet I see.” The third I said, “Ah cool! They fingered it out!” at which time my co-worker “Prairie Dogged” over the cube wall and asked, “Do I need to call HR on you?”

4. avatar MKK says:

Too busy partying to get this fixed.

5. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

Woo-hoo! I’m Mark Anthony 78!!

This is why retained data is so bad.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

It’s also why I use “burner” e-mail addresses for most websites. If it gets compromised, I just stop using that address and move on to another. The other benefit is, if I start getting spam, I know who sold me out to the spammers.

6. avatar tdiinva says:

Now you can send me your personal insults directly to me.

7. avatar cmeat says:

comment moderated

8. avatar Tex300BLK says:

Hello, I’m not Tex300BLK and I approve this message

1. avatar Tex300BLK says:

Hello, this is the real Tex300BLK and I suggest you (site admin) fix the problem like yesterday, or disable comments until you can be troubled to get around to it so that at least your users’ private email addresses arent publicly available to random strangers.

1. avatar MIKE CROGNALE says:

naaaah, keep em coming, I hope to get some more .gov and .mil addresses

2. avatar Thebear says:

Agreed.

9. avatar Jon says:

Well I was “Jake” then I refreshed the page and me showed up….

10. avatar Sian says:

Thanks. I’ve had comments the last few days randomly disappear, and sometimes random other user data filled in for name and email on the comments form. Totally weird.

11. avatar Geoff PR says:

Thank God no one in their right mind wants to be me…

Whew.

12. avatar Fuque says:

Im outta here till its fixed…

13. avatar Vhyrus says:

Test comment. It auto populated my name and email with the last person in the thread to comment. I have a screenshot if needed. I fixed my name and email before I submitted.

14. avatar Vhyrus says:

Testing

15. avatar Grindstone says:

How about changing to a better commenting engine finally?

16. avatar Grindstone says:

I think it’s a hack. My daily TTAG fix and the MAc wheel of death spin’ed and then random names popped the the fields.

Means anyone on this site can log email addresses of its users. Government is looking

1. avatar Bob says:

going by some of the email addresses *@*.gov is already here

1. avatar IAB2 says:

Bob, that is a surprise to you…?

2. avatar JasonMfromSoDakota says:

@Bob- It does not matter, well legally it does, if somebody on here means another ill-will and sees there email address, because the topics of all the conversations and our interest in firearms and self-defense from acts of evil would make such an aggressive act in real life to result in a gunfight, and then beginning the animating contest of mortal combat. Death would be darn near a certainty for the criminals meaning you harm or death, whether those criminals are crackheads by profession kicking your door in or 8-10 stacked state sanctioned killers violating your rights because you don’t conform to being a servant of others without consent, as consent to be governed is what makes us American citizens, and the second amendment is the ultimate and hopefully unnecessary tool of Liberty.

17. avatar Don in PA says:

I guess feel free to look me up if you’re in the area and want to go shooting at a nice private range.

18. avatar (I'm not) CGinTX says:

I think this new randomly assigned username thing is awesome.
    Now we can read the post and think, “Hmm…I wonder if that’s actually Ralph, nah, probably Vhyrus.”

19. avatar B Bradley says:

Hi Mods. This is fun!
    Now I am B Bradley- note, B, I changed your email to my fake email, just to be safe, bud.

20. avatar B Bradley says:

PS mods, its def on your end. In the post above, if this little ‘test’ is giving valid info:

Just as where I pretended to be “B Bradley”, using my own email account, it autopopulated my next comment with B Bradley, and my email addy.

I’m currently VPNing in, so presumably, you dont have my info on this end, to autopopulate the comment fields.

I am NOT a techie type, so I could easily be way wrong, however.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

test

21. avatar John Smith says:

Seems fixed

22. avatar John Smith says:

Now I’m John Smith

23. avatar Sixpack70 says:

I wonder who I might be?

24. avatar ralph says: