Purdue University Campus Carry Petition

Purdue University shooter and professionally trained police force (courtesy abcsnews.com)

“Concealed carry on college campuses is not illegal in Indiana,” a TTAG reader writes, “it is instead left up to the school to decide.” Purdue University reckons students, faculty and administrators don’t need no stinkin’ guns. “Purdue University strives to provide a safe and secure Campus environment to students, faculty, staff, and visitors,” their website proclaims. “To promote the safety and security of our University community, the University has developed and supports numerous programs and activities relating to crime awareness, crime education, and crime prevention. Additionally, the University’s policies and procedures prohibit . . .

violence in the workplace (policy IV.A.3, Violent Behavior), drugs and alcohol in the workplace and on Campus (Executive Memorandum No. C-44, Alcohol- and Drug-Free Campus and Workplace Policy), and possessing or storing firearms or other weapons in University facilities (policy IV.B.1, Regulations Governing the Use and Assignment of University Facilities). The University also maintains a professionally trained police force at each of its Campuses.

Despite the reassurance of a professionally trained police force, who responded professionally to Purdue University’s on-campus student assassination, our humble correspondent would like to change Purdue’s “gun-free zone” status. To that end, he’s posted a simple petition for redress (below).

Purdue does not get to choose what rights a student has.

– Police officers cannot instantly be there when you need them.
– Purdue should not punish students for doing something legal.
– Individuals are responsible for their own safety.
– If Purdue really considers its students a part of the “Purdue Family” then they should trust their students (like the state of Indiana does) to legally carry firearms.

Click here to sign it (you don’t have to be a Boilermaker or Purdue grad to sign). At the time of writing, only two people have done so.

comments

1. avatar Scrubula says:

Good luck. Whoever wrote these policies was not grounded in reality then and probably still isn’t.

2. avatar Ing says:

Oh, goody! They’ve prohibited violence at Purdue! If only more of America’s institutions of higher learning would do the same, our utopia would be at hand.

3. avatar Andrew says:

Signed, up to 4 now.

4. avatar Rokurota says:

Signed, for what good it does.

5. avatar Chris says:

I go to Purdue, and am from the town where the university is located. It is a pretty liberal area and the general consensus was essentially, “That will never happen here”. It’s sad to see that once it did, nothing changed other than the addition of a security warning system in classrooms. I carry everywhere but on campus, and would love to have my rights extended to where I spend the majority of my time.

1. avatar cawpin says:

“and am from the town where the university is located. It is a pretty liberal area ”

I don’t know how you can even say that without laughing at yourself. I’m from the Lafayette area and it isn’t liberal. Purdue campus, and all college campuses, tend to be more liberal than the surrounding area if said area has a conservative base. Lafayette, and Indiana in general, are pretty conservative.

1. avatar Chris says:

Agreed. I guess I just get an extremely negative response from almost everyone I talk to (including my parents and friends) in regard to my beliefs on firearms and the rights that relate to them. That’s in the WL area. You’re right about college campuses potentially being a microcosm in terms of ideals when compared to surrounding areas, but that’s where I spend the vast majority of my time.

2. avatar Lost Down South says:

My college campus had a shooting years ago. Man comes on on campus and executes his ex-GF who was an employee. Walks out and sits on a bench. Surrendered without further incident.

The current campus Chief of Police claims we have never had an active shooter. I called him on that. What about incident X?

“Well, that was only one victim. I meant a mass shooting.”

Man shoot person. Involves activity *and* shooting. How can you say we have never had one???

“Well, you know what I mean.”

The “lack of an active shooter” on campus was used by the administration to deny the PD patrol rifles. The chief didn’t want to risk his pension and rolled over.

6. avatar Jay in Florida says:

Im not a resident nor have a dog in this fight.
    But I did sign said petition.
    With my full legal name and address.
    Let the email and mailing fun begin.

7. avatar Vhyrus says:

Signed, doubt it will matter though.

8. avatar Accur81 says:

Signed.

9. avatar tfunk says:

I’m only #22? C’mon, peeps!

10. avatar Rick says:

YaddaYaddaYadda …”And if we fail to prevent violence, you can’t sue us, so there.”

11. avatar JohnC says:

Signed. Up to 23 now.

12. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Can’t sign; “temporarily unavailable.”

Yeah, right; wanna buy a World Series ticket? It’s been used only once.

EDIT: http://, rather than https://, works.

13. avatar Former Water Walker says:

I bet there are a few guns in Purdue Calumet in Hammond. Not so country as semi rural West Lafayette. Good luck.

14. avatar Roymond says:

I signed, number fifty.

I left a comment:

I was on a campus in Indiana once when word came that a gal’s ex was hunting for her, with a gun. The police would only come if he actually showed up. So a number of us took turns standing guard with what we were allowed — baseball bats, mostly.
    Maybe in The Matrix someone could swat a bullet out of the air with a baseball bat. But a bullet to counter a bullet is a LOT safer.

15. avatar JeffR says:

I grew up in a small town halfway between Purdue and the University of Illinois. As a U of I alum and Illinois resident, I expect this type of stuff from U of I. I hoped that the Indiana school would know better.

16. avatar DaveL says:

They don’t allow alcohol on campus? Are they serious?

1. avatar Rokurota says:

Most undergraduates are under 21. So we know they don’t drink anyway.

2. avatar cawpin says:

In university owned buildings, of course not. When’s the last time you saw an employer allow it’s employees to keep booze in their desks?

1. avatar DaveL says:

Students aren’t employees, they’re clients. Including seniors and graduate students. Maybe it’s because I grew up in Canada, where the drinking age was 19. There were most definitely drinking establishments on the campus of anything that aspired to be an institution of adult learning, as opposed to a very expensive daycare center.

17. Signed. Said I was number 62.

18. avatar ThomasR says:

Our institutions of “higher learning”. How pathetic.

We go from kids going to school carrying pocket knives, bringing guns either in the vehicle or locked in a secure room; not being punished for standing up to bullies, to this.

We’ve done incredible things in taking back our gun rights from the statists. Now it’s time to free our schools from the same wanna be tyrants and free our children and young adults from this mental and emotional abuse.

This violation of the most basic civil right.

This abomination called a Gun Free Zone mandating that our next generation be treated as sub-humans; as peasants not to be trusted to defend their lives from the first mad man with a gun that ignores the sign on the side of the building.

This is the next arena of civil rights to be fought. It was first freeing the blacks; then getting woman the right to vote; then it was desegregation. Now it’s the right of all people to freely carry a weapon any where in public; (including schools and universities), that they legally have a right to be.

19. avatar CalAnon says:

Signed it, with hope that sanity will prevail.

20. avatar BDub says:

At some point the definitions of “prohibit” and “prevent” became tragically conflated.

21. avatar Timmy! says:

I signed… should I feel guilty for not donating $$$ though?

22. avatar JimM says:

There was a shooting in one of the engineering buildings just a few years ago. A student walked into a classroom and shot another student in the head…just walked up to him in class and *bang*. No words; no warning.

23. avatar RDSmith says:

Signed. Up to 125

24. avatar Lieve1980 says:

ᴊᴜsᴛ ʙᴇғᴏʀᴇ I sᴀᴡ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀɴᴋ ᴅʀᴀғᴛ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ sᴀɪᴅ $8466 , I ʙᴇ ᴄᴇʀᴛᴀɪɴ …ᴛʜᴀᴛ…ᴍʏ ʙᴇsᴛ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅ ᴡᴀs ᴛʀᴜʟʟʏ ᴍᴀᴋɪɴɢ ᴍᴏɴᴇʏ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ sᴘᴀʀᴇ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ᴀᴘᴘʟᴇ ʟᴀʙᴛᴏᴘ. . ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɴᴇɪɢʜʙᴏʀ ʜᴀs ᴅᴏɴᴇ ᴛʜɪs ғᴏʀ ᴏɴʟʏ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ ᴍᴏɴᴛʜs ᴀɴᴅ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴘᴀɪᴅ ғᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏᴀɴs ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴏᴜsᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ʙᴏᴜʀᴛ ᴛʜᴇᴍsᴇʟᴠᴇs ᴀ ᴏᴘᴇʟ . ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛʜɪs ᴏᴜᴛ DOMAIN.COM

25. avatar Lieve1980 says:

26. avatar bontai Joe says:

I signed at #136.

27. avatar SF in VA says:

Tried to sign. Got this:

The server is misbehaving

28. avatar Roy says:

I’m not sure that person who stated carry on college campuses is legal was correct. As far as I know, Indiana considers them just like any other schools. I could easily be wrong, but I don’t recall seeing anything in the code book that classifies colleges and universities differently from other schools, which would make carry illegal, though storage in one’s car is now fine.

1. avatar Gary says:

If you look in the Indiana Code, it provides a definition for a school. Schools are defined as K-12. Colleges aren’t “schools” as defined by the Indiana Code

29. avatar scoutino says: