New York Times Finally Finds A Gun It Likes

We could have filed this under What Could Possibly Go Wrong?, what with the nebbish news gatherer aiming a low-end radar gun at people in the gun-free paradise of New York. But the real surprise here is that The Old Gray Lady has found a gun – any gun – that she likes. Let’s ignore the fact that they purchased said radar gun for a story on the dangers of speeding bicycles (something must be done!) and concentrate on the image of a NYT reporter pointing a gun at something without wringing his hands and bemoaning easy access to firearms. OK, sure, Andy Newman muzzles himself with the radar gun (1:39) BUT IT WASN’T LOADED! Jeez.

comments

1. avatar RT says:

Thanks for a much needed laugh today. 😀

1. avatar John Lilburne says:

He’s too annoying to be funny.

Is he deliberately trying to imitate Woody Allen?

2. avatar jwm says:

Do those things still cause testicular cancer? Not that a reporter for that rag would have to worry about balls.

1. avatar DrVino says:

^^^
      WIN!

1. avatar Slicer87 says:

I remember the stories of cops getting cancer from their radar guns, so this reporter is walking around NYC giving everyone he points his radar gun with, cancer. So why isn’t he thrown in jail then for harming people?

2. avatar JasonM says:

Did anyone ever show a link between those two?
      Radar uses radio waves which have a wavelength measured in millimeters, meters, or even kilometers, while ionizing effects require wavelengths in the nanometer range or smaller.

1. avatar Kendahl says:

Radar waves are what fly around inside a microwave oven. When turning on their radar, air crew must be careful that there is no one in front of the airplane. The only good news about radar guns is that they are low power.

1. avatar DaveL says:

Oh, long wavelengths CAN be dangerous – at high enough powers, because they can literally cook you. But radar guns just don’t have the output.

2. avatar John L. says:

At sufficiently high power levels, low frequencies certainly can cause ionization. Ever see a Tesla coil running full-tilt?

But my understanding was that officers would drop the gun in their lap, pointed at their groin. At that point while you might not get ionization you certainly can get localized heating … It might not cause cancer but it could wind up sterilizing the guy if left there and on for long enough.

3. avatar DrVino says:

eedjit!

4. avatar Mr Pierogie says:

I can’t wait for that socialist rag to go out of business. Their stock price is already 3 to 4 times too high (and I’m being generous here), hopefully it will go down to zero in the near future.

5. avatar bontai Joe says:

I am amazed that he didn’t have a police officer draw down on him for pointing what looks like a gun at people. I also noticed he shot all the dogs he saw. What is it with shooting dogs?

6. avatar Mercutio says:

Andy? Sure that’s not Alfred E. “What? Me Worry?”

7. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

$50 says that guy can’t throw a football 10 feet…

8. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

1. avatar FlaResident says:

this is exactly what I thought of when I saw this story !

9. avatar Don K says:

This GD idiot is so stupid he should be drowned !?!?! He has no idea that the radar has to reflect off of something like metal & it can only detect velocity away or toward the gun. This GDF idiot is trying to measure the speed of non-metalic stuff going sideways, there is no way in physics it can do that. No wonder he works for the NYT !?!?! He could have read the manual !?!?!

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Um, RADAR works with non-metallic stuff – albeit the stuff has to be sizeable.

Or do birds, burglars attempting to foil dual-tech PIR detectors and storms all carry metal?

As to reading? Yeah, right.

10. avatar Robert W. says:

I’m surprised anyone even talked to the guy. If it weren’t for the fact that he had a guy filming him, he looks and acts like a certifiable nut job.

1. avatar RLC2 says:

Heh. Can just imagine whats going thru the kid quarterbacks mind when Schleimel the Cub Repoter tells him how fast he threw the ball and asked what he thinks…”Stranger Danger!”

11. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

This is the kind of story you get stuck with when you suggest doing a story on Johnathan Gruber at the NYT.

12. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Would someone please send the staff of the NYT some prescription testosterone replacement pills?

13. avatar Avid Reader says:

I’m surprised he didn’t wet himself when he pulled the trigger.

14. avatar Jus Bill says:

I wonder if he could use it to measure how fast his credibility is vanishing? OOPS, too late…

15. avatar Freeheel says:

One of the greatest things I ever bought was an old K12 radar gun at a police auction. I stripped out the unit to just the transmitter. Wired it up behind the grill of my truck. Riding down the highway with some B-hole in the way. I would see they had a radar detector on. Then I would switch on the K-band. I would watch his detector light up and they would hit the right lane to slow down. I would blast on by. Best $5 I ever spent.

16. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Stop him! Even a low-power energy weapon is a menace to the populace!