Atlanta Police Confiscate GLOCK Rifle [Not Shown, Presumably]

RONI weapon(4)

TTAG’s been right on top of the .9mm craze, which seems to have petered out. Now we hear of a new firearms phenom: the spotted-in-the-wild GLOCK rifle [not shown]. “An off-duty DeKalb County sheriff’s deputy inside the gas station around 4 a.m. heard the shots outside,” ajc.com reports. What’s an off-duty policeman doing outside a Quik Trip gas station at 4am you ask? It’s almost as big a mystery as what happened next . . .

When he went outside he saw a BMW and a Dodge speeding away, said Chamblee police spokesman Capt. Ernesto Ford. Chamblee police officers pulled over the vehicles and found two AR-15s and a Glock rifle, Ford said.

“The seriousness of it is the type of weapons that were used. These are assault rifles in a congested area, highly populated area. That’s a big concern of ours,” Ford told Channel 2.

And a concern of ours, too. How did a top secret prototype firearm — assuming it wasn’t a CAA NFA-licensed conversion – end-up in the hands of early-bird perps? Anyone else seen or heard tell of this GLOCK rifle? As always TTAG will remain vigilant for any sighting. [h/t KA]

comments

1. avatar fishydude says:

Doesn’t look like a rifle. It looks like an elaborate pistol bracket with mag holder.

1. avatar PPGMD says:

Adding a stock to a pistol makes it a rifle under NFA.

1. avatar Mr Pierogie says:

Those stocks used to be available on Amazon. And no, I didn’t get one.

1. avatar DangerMouse says:

Indeed. If that perp was in possession of an unregistered SBR he’s looking at *serious* jail time.

2. avatar EvanZ says:

They make one without a stock that you can shoulder O.o

2. avatar RKBA says:

As stated in the title, THAT IS NOT THE RIFLE CONFISCATED. 🙂

2. avatar stimr2 says:

Maybe it was a Kel Tec Sub 2000 that takes Glock magazines. Just because someone is Law Enforcement doesn’t mean they’re a firearms expert. Just look at the ATF.

1. avatar Scrubula says:

That actually makes complete sense…

During last night’s episode of “CSI,” Americans learned that the AR-15 is “America’s favorite assault rifle” that can fire “600 rounds a minute.” So between TV and the MSM, we are learning a lot of things we never knew before. Ain’t education grand!

1. avatar jwm says:

So csi confirms that the ar-15 is in “Common Usage.” Score one for our side.

1. avatar Lucas D. says:

They also think it’s fully automatic. Subtract 200,000 points from their side.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

I’d prefer to simply make it true! Repeal NFA ’34.

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Small quibble, Ralph. The quote was “700 rounds per minute.”

3. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Shucks, I thought you could empty the 30 caliber clip in half a second!

1. avatar Taz says:

700 rounds per minute. Only if your name is Jerry Miculek, you have a belt fed version, and you’ve had six cups of coffee in ten minutes.

1. avatar Retired LEO says:

6 double espresso & a quart of 5 hour energy drink.

4. avatar Defensor fortisimo says:

Could be a carbine designed to take glock magazines ie a lone wolf or kel tec sub 2000

5. avatar Sixpack70 says:

I would love to put my CZ P09 into one of those rigs. They look like fun. All except for the tax stamp.

6. avatar Stinkeye says:

I only have one question about that monstrosity in the photograph: Why?

1. avatar Gunr says:

Tacticool man, tacticool!

2. avatar Andy in CO says:

I own one (NFA paperwork and all) and it’s nice and compact as a shoulder-fired weapon. No, it’s no AR-15 (though an AR SBR is in the works for me), but it’s more firepower than the pistol by itself.

I decided it would be better in a vehicle where quick presentation was necessary (an AR with 16″ barrel being awkward there), while at the same time being a step up from the base pistol itself. 17 or 33rd magazine loaded, according to preference.

3. avatar v v ind says:

Stinky, it’s for when the zombies come!

7. avatar John M. says:

Mech Tech upper conversion?

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

I’m just wrapping up testing of the Mech-Tech Carbine Conversion Units for my large-frame Glock. Tested a 10mm and .45 ACP C.C.U. Just have to do some chronograph testing w/ the 10mm (tried to yesterday but it was so overcast that the chrony wouldn’t get a reading). It could possibly be one of these, I guess. It would be the second-closest thing to a “Glock rifle,” behind a Glock pistol with a buttstock added to it — and add-on buttstocks do exist, in both the form shown in the lead photo and just simple stocks that insert into the “grip plug” spot.

Spoiler: The MechTech C.C.U.s are awesome.

1. avatar John M. says:

Glad to hear it. I bought one in 10mm, though I’m still looking forward to your review.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the safety situation on the Mech Tech Glock conversions. The Mech Tech gets rid of the Glock drop safety, leaving the trigger tab the only remaining safety. I’ve considered getting a kydex trigger cover for it, maybe with a string so I could pull it off quickly, but I would like to see how much I like it before I get one.

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

Dropping it would still have to result in the sear slipping off of the firing pin for it to discharge. It’s probably not a likely scenario but I suppose it’s slightly more likely than in a Glock with its additional firing pin block. Because there’s no “holster” (although your idea is a good one) and no safety on the Glock frame, I’d probably just suggest not carrying it chambered. It’s easy enough to rack the charging handle when you’re ready to shoot.

Or… get a CCU for a 1911 frame. Double stack 1911 might be the ideal choice. You get the capacity, a thumb safety (located similarly to an AR-15’s, for that matter), and a better trigger. I can see arguments for running this setup in 9mm, .45 ACP, or 10mm. The first two because you can shoot subsonic ammo and suppress it, in addition to 9mm being comparatively inexpensive and giving you high capacity, and 10mm because it achieves crazy velocity out of the 16″ bbl so can be used for hunting all sorts of stuff.

2. avatar Royal Tony says:

Most excellent. I’ve been planning on buying a G20 and the proper CCU, ever since I wondered if anyone made a 10mm carbine. Can’t wait to see the review! My bank account on the other hand is not so excited.

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

The quality is very high and I think the $399 asking price is fair. You could do 10mm and/or .45 ACP with your same G20 frame 🙂

…I only got one round to read on the chrony, and it was a 180 grain bullet (10mm) that did 1,616 fps. That’s 1,044 ft/lbs… over 300 fps faster (and ~369 ft/lbs more) than out of the stock G20 barrel.

8. avatar Rokurota says:

It was a Glock AR-15 high-powered military-style assault rifle. Used in 100% of crimes, according to NBC.

1. avatar JackinAlabama says:

Complete with the shoulder-thingie that goes up, and 30-round half-second clipazines!!! OMG – think of the CHILDREN!!!

1. avatar Gunr says:

The shoulder thingy goes up, and user goes down!

2. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

Not only is it invisible to luggage screening technology, its 30 round assault clips have stealth technology that prevent them from showing up on X-ray machines or sniffed out by trained dogs. Man, that Gaston Glock is a fiend!

3. avatar Rob says:

…assault SNIPER rifle…

9. avatar louringe says:

Getting off late from doing paper? Been there done that. Just because your shift ends doesn’t mean your drop everything and go home.

These things have been around for a while, saw one with a Glock 18 in one. Same old story just because you can do it doesn’t make it legal

“What’s an off-duty policeman doing outside a Quik Trip gas station at 4am?”

Donuts.

1. avatar John M. says:

Supposedly cops get free drinks at QT. Clever, that.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

” just because you can do it doesn’t make it legal”

ZZat right? Well the 2A does make it legal. Ever swear an oath to protect and defend the constitution?

3. avatar Another Robert says:

When I was an administrative law judge in Dallas, I dealt with some cops from Rowlett, a suburb to the north of Dallas. These guys would get off their shift, but instead of going home, they would cruise around and call the “on-duty” cops on to any vehicle they saw that might net them a DWI arrest. I resolved to get a map and draw a red circle around Rowlett to remind me never to go thru there.

4. avatar Jeremy S says:

“…saw one with a Glock 18 in one. Same old story just because you can do it doesn’t make it legal.”

Assuming the Glock 18 is legally owned, then putting it in something like this is fully legal as well. A registered “Machine Gun” cannot also be an SBR. You can add a stock to a “machine gun” no matter what the barrel length is and it’s still just a “machine gun,” whether it’s really a pistol or a rifle or whatever… or if you’re registering something like a full-auto CZ Scorpion you do not need both a machine gun stamp and an SBR stamp, you only need the machine gun one.

10. avatar mike says:

Unless that Glock was properly registered as an SBR first, with the approved ATF form 1….have fun in prison.

11. avatar Kelly in GA says:

I live next to that quik trip (until December 10 or so). The reason there’s a cop at the QT, is because it’s across the street from a strip club. On a stretch of Buford Highway know as Atlanta’s Mexico. On the border with Vietnam. And previously featured on a Latin Kings or Sur 13 episode of Gangland. I love this place. :-/

So the Quick Trip is across the street from the Quick Strip? Nice!

12. avatar Stompy says:

My guess it was a high point carbine. Everything that shoots pistol caliber rounds is a GLOCK to the media and uninformed LEOs.

13. avatar Retired LEO says:

Natchez shooters sold them. It’s a MAKO stock kitfr Glocks, SigPro2022, fnfve-seven and one other I don’t remember. ATFE ruled that they became NFA/SBR’s if used. Originally they were developed for the secret service as an add-on to p90’s so local agencies could have SBR for Presidential visits. I had one for a five-seven & Sig really great gave back to dept. when I retired as I could not see having to class 3 paper a stock. I like my universal arms enforcer. 30cal no paperwork & same size w/30 round jungle clipped mags.

14. avatar former water walker says:

Wut? I clicked the link. Are AR’s illegal in Hotlanta land. I really doubt it’s a Glock brand Glock RIFLE 🙂

15. avatar preston says:

“What’s an off-duty policeman doing outside a Quik Trip gas station at 4am you ask?”
    you guys really need to stop putting comments like that in the articles. it makes you look dismissive and petty. it looks like you are trying to insinuate that the officer is already at fault and you have no idea what really happened. we don’t need to make assumptive, paranoid claims, thats what the liberals and anti’s do!!

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

He asked a legitimate question. Simmer down. Jeeze.

16. avatar Patrick says:

The Glock barrel is rifled. Loosely speaking, does that make it a rifle?

17. avatar Pieslapper says:

4am is when Krispy Kreme delivers the doughnuts

1. avatar 2hotel9 says:

Fresh and direct from their oldest shop in Jonesboro! Always loved the smell driving by there.

18. avatar Anonymoose says:

When someone says “Glock rifle/carbine,” why does no one ever think about the Mechtech CCU or other ACTUAL CARBINE conversions for Glocks? It’s always that RONI thing that’s just a quad-rail and a stock.
    /rant

19. avatar Ernest says:

What the he’ll is .9mm ? Iv seen you (RF) rage on many authors about this…. lol nice proof read or did you just post the usual rough draft filled with grammatical and spelling errors?

1. avatar v v ind says:

Yeh, .9mm is a Flippin nat’s a$$

20. avatar 2hotel9 says:

Used to live on Shallowford Rd, just past I 85. Loved Doraville and used to work all over that area. Eat lunch at the bar at DeKalb-Peachtree airport. Too bad my city is gone. I loved Atlanta, while it was still there.

21. avatar steve baxter says:

Two ARs and a Glock . NOT Glock rifle . Off duty Deputy working security at the QT.
    If you don’t know why you don’t know Buford Hwy Amigo.
    Not Atlanta but Chamblee PD. Captain of Detectives. Yes he is familiar with these firearms
    as he carries a Glock and has AR 15 in his vehicle.
    Watch the WSB TV segment and Listen this time.
    For $5 you can get a copy of the Police report and stop fabricating .

1. avatar freenate says:

Facts for the win.

22. avatar Tressa says:

What’s up, this weekend is good in support of me, since this moment i am
    reading this enormous informative piece of writing here at
    my residence.