Question of the Day: Disarmenter or Disarmist?

I have recently started using the term “disarmenter.” It’s a neologism I derived from a combination of the verb ‘disarm’ and the adjective ‘demented.’ A commenter at freerepublic.com suggested that the term disarmist was less clumsy and easier to use.

dis·arm·en·ter (ds-ärmn-tr)  alt.  dis·arm·ist (ds-ärmst) noun

1. A political operative who works to disarm the political opposition through the use of irrational and/or emotional arguments.
2. A person who believes that disarming citizens will reduce crime or unjustified violence in spite of evidence or facts to the contrary.
3. A person who wishes to disarm others because they do not trust themselves to bear arms responsibly.

Which term do you think works best?

©2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Gun Watch

comments

1. avatar Bigred2989 says:

Why not statist? Don’t the terns go hand in hand?

1. avatar Stilicho says:

Exactly. We also would have accepted “leftist”, “commie”, “fascist”, “totalitarian”, “liberal”, Democrat”, “RINO”, and “traitor”.

At the end of the day, Col. Cooper’s term still works best: “hoplophobe”.

1. avatar JasonM says:

Don’t forget: republican and conservative, because virtually all of them believe government has some authority to make people’s decisions for them. They just happen to be against some of the anti-gun decisions.

The opposite of a statist is an anarcho-libertarian (or anarcho-capitalist).

1. avatar Anonymoose says:

B-but who will maintain the roads?

2. avatar Julian says:

muh roads!

3. avatar Slab Rankle says:

The Constitution clearly allows government to make some decisions for individuals, such as taxation.

If you don’t think the Constitution should be the supreme law of the land, then what do you believe in, the law of the jungle, divine right of kings, the beneficent nature of mankind?

Sorry, comrade, gun control and disarmament belong to the Democrats, lock, stock and barrel.

As for Libertarians, let them smoke their weed and stop throwing elections to the Dems. I’m sick of them.

2. avatar Johannes P. says:

Can we please not invent our own in-group vocabulary that does nothing but make it more difficult to have a common dialogue with the people in the middle who we need to persuade and keep on our side?

1. avatar HeySpanky says:

This. Lest we be accused of hyperbole and euphemistic language. That being said, I favor ‘Retard’. Seriously. Any iteration or connotation of the word is incredibly astute regarding “common sense gun control”.

2. avatar Handgun Dad says:

I totally get your point. Makes complete sense.

On the other hand, ‘Feminarcissist’ just rolls right off the tongue.

3. avatar Delmarva Chip says:

I basically agree … using jumbled terms is more of a distraction than a positive force for our efforts, IMO.

2. avatar Craig says:

The correct word is Communist. C-O-M-M-U-N-I-S-T. Communist.

1. avatar Hasdrubal says:

I’ve been using “godless communist” lately, I feel it adds a bit more emphasis without being inaccurate or crude.

1. avatar Azman says:

“Godless” does necessarily mean communist. I’m perfectly able to be a godless non communist with faith…it’s actually pretty easy. FYI.

1. avatar Hasdrubal says:

No problem with any of that. I don’t consider godless by itself to always be a bad thing, either. Godless Communist, though, just sounds more emphatic to me.

2. avatar Tominator says:

My thought exactly!

The now dead communist leaders predicted our demise….be damned if it’s not happening just as they predicted.

3. avatar Dev says:

Disarmist sounds better, plus it rhymes with alarmist.

4. avatar Geoff PR says:

Let’s just refer to them as COMMENT PROPHYLACTICALLY PRE-DELETED.

Works for me…

5. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Not sure about ‘disarmenter’ or ‘disarmist’, but I can say that there’s nothing ‘disarming’ about Diane Feinstein.

Disarming
    adjective
    1. removing or capable of removing hostility, suspicion, etc., as by being charming:
    a disarming smile.

Well, if she tried a disarming smile, her teeth would fall out. That bulldog scowl holds her dentures in place.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

So you would not characterize her as “disarmingly charming,” I would surmise.

2. avatar Gunr says:

I lived in Kalifornia for long time, sounds like you have about as much contempt for her as I do!

6. avatar Scrubula says:

Protectionist is a better term.

7. avatar John Doe says:

Easy, disarmist. Combination of “disarm” and “terrorist”. Of course, sadist or communist could also work…

8. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Personally, I’m fine with “lying, liberal scum.”

1. avatar Accur81 says:

I like the phrase “lying liberal progressive statist scumbag.” It differentiates from the classic liberal, from back in the day.

Just say “Democrat.” It means the same thing without all those words.

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

Ralph wins the internetz today.

9. avatar Rabbi says:

Treasonists

1. avatar Julio says:

^This effectively sums it up. +1

Which term do you think works best?

“Moron.” It’s brief, to the point and even Bugs Bunny can pronounce it, kinda.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

CORRECT!

11. avatar S_J says:

“Mendacious asshole” works too.

1. avatar Howdy says:

Eschew obfuscation.
      There’s enough of that in every direction;

12. avatar Ing says:

Of the two, I’d say Disarmist. It fits right in with statist, racist, terrorist, fascist, communist…all the -ists. All the politically disparaging terms are “ists” these days.

Am I the only one that thinks Dianne Feinstein is a dead ringer for Emperor Palpatine?

Palpatine, she is your mother . . . .

13. avatar former water walker says:

Leftwing lowlife POS. I really HATE to use the word “liberal”. Not at all descriptive.

14. avatar EJ says:

To me, I don’t look at the term ‘disarmenter’ and get the demented part naturally at all- looks more like ‘dis-‘ and a misspelling of armament. in fact the demented part never occurred to me at all until I read it just now.

Disarmist comes more naturally, is easier to say/read, and shares the -ist with Leftist, Socialist, Marxist, Communist, Statist, etc…

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

Even hearing Dean say he mean “Disarmenter” to evoke “demented” I still can’t see it. Sure there are four letters in common in the middle of the word, but it’s just not there. “Disarmented” would do it better but it’s a past tense verb.

Disarmist is vastly better.

2. avatar Stinkeye says:

I totally agree. I thought “disarmenter” was a dumb word the first time he used it, and it hasn’t grown on me since. Every time I read it in a sentence, I come to a screeching halt, because it’s a terribly clumsy construction, that doesn’t really follow any of the rules (such as there are) of English. It’s not evocative of “demented” in the way Mr. Weingarten seems to think it is.

“Disarmist” is far better, if you must have such a word.

So, Dean, can you do a global search-and-replace, and then we’ll all agree to pretend this silly “disarmenter” thing never happened?

3. avatar Jay-El says:

Definitely disarmist. Anything “-er” suggests a strong association with actually doing the thing described. E.g., a disarmer would be someone who successfully disarms.

“-ist” seems more suggestive of intent, philosophy or attempting to do something.

15. avatar Jay in Florida says:

Does it really matter what term one uses for someone with a disembodied or irrational fear of an inanimate object??

16. avatar Martin B says:

How’s about “Gungrabbing lying bitch”, as opposed to “Shit stained coward gun grabber” which applies to all the “men” who profess their fear and hatred of loyal citizens who are capable of using modern weapons in a responsible fashion to garner game and defend their homesteads.

17. avatar Mercutio says:

Back in they day when I (technically) worked for her, she was fondly known as “Old Piano Legs”….. there was a story going round about her first husband bing shot.. no idea if there’s any truth to it

1. avatar Mercutio says:

anyway, to actually answer the question…neither. “gun-grabber” says it better, especially given the unfortunate consequences of grabbing at a gun and getting someone killed.

18. avatar Jeremy says:

How about disarmamenterist? If you say it 10 times without messing up someone somewhere gives up disarmamenterisering. Yeah never mind. Anti-gun, anti-2a, hoplophobe, gun grabber, disarmer disarmist, they all man the same.

19. avatar SD3 says:

How about “Douche-Nazi”?

1. avatar tfunk says:

I’m digging it

20. avatar Gunr says:

How about just plain “Asshole”

21. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Disarmist, to me, sounds like an act in completion. Or a completed act.
    I like disarmenter. The implications are apropos.

22. avatar MAC][ says:

In reply to the Nazi – Bottom Feeding Scum Sucking Algae Eater + Troll.

23. avatar Nagurski says:

I like disarmist. Basically every single gun control law back in the day was meant to keep guns out of the hands of “dangerous minorities” like freed slaves, Chinese railroad workers, Martin Luther King Jr., Irish and Italian immigrants. Nowadays it seems to be aimed at keeping poor people from having guns for example, in Illinois you have to pay about $300 for the 16 hour class then pay a $150 fee to the government and once that’s done, you still can’t carry on public transportation. So seeing as gun control laws are usually either racist or elitist and always statist, I like disarmist.

24. avatar DJ9 says:

Disarmist.

Or disarmistor…

25. avatar explainist says:

disarmental case
    disarmalarmist

too complicated

dipshit

26. avatar CBI says:

“Disarmist” works a lot better in discourse, I think. “Disarmentor” is just to clumsy and contrived.

“Hoplophobes” tend to be disarmists, but the reverse is often not the case. Disarmists may or may not have an irrational fear of firearms: their defining characteristic is to reduce the ability of average citizens to defend themselves.

Some of the other suggestions are excessively broad (e.g., “statist”) or falsely inclusive (e.g., “Democrat”). Unfortunately, too many of the other suggestions function merely as “snarl words” — more-or-less equivalent to name-calling — rather than being useful rhetoric for convincing opponents or neutrals.

27. avatar Bob Calif says:

How about…Bitch.
    noun
    a female dog:
    The bitch won first place in the sporting dogs category.
    a female of canines generally.
    Slang.

a malicious, unpleasant, selfish person, especially a woman.
    a lewd woman.
    Disparaging and Offensive. any woman.

Seems they would all fit.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

‘Bitch’ would imply someone would actually want to mount her….

Yeeech…

28. avatar Treedodger says:

“Anti-self-defense” is my favorite. Everyone understands exactly what it means, and it leaves no doubt as to the motive.

1. avatar Delmarva Chip says:

29. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Hmmm… A disarmenter would dement as a verb, spreading the disease. A disarmist would work to create a State in which Disarm was the official religion.

Different, but equally problematic.

30. avatar Pascal says:

Feinstein: ‘Flattered’ Michelle Obama Might Be Considering Run for My Senate Seat

31. avatar BobRobert says:

Not sure I care about the vocab, but that picture…instantly remained me of this quote from Jaws…
    “Sometimes he wouldn’t go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he’s got… lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll’s eye. When he comes at ya, doesn’t seem to be livin’. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white.”

32. avatar TheYetti says:

How about disarmader; a combination of disarm and crusader. Fitting since half of the anti-gun crowd seem to be on a crusade to disarm the citizenry.

33. avatar Javier says:

MY EYES MY EYES I’ve been blinded by the image of MEDUSA. Oh sorry it’s just that Frankenstein monster.

34. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Gun Grabber.

35. avatar SamEnderby says:

I prefer the term our Founders used: Tyrant.

1. avatar Anonymoose says:

I second this.

36. avatar Delmarva Chip says:

Pro-violence.

1. They advocate for policies that enable criminals to commit violence, because these policies make it more difficult for ordinary people to arm themselves for self-defense;
    2. They advocate for government action to restrict/prohibit arms, which requires violence or the threat of violence;
    3. They advocate for direct or proxy violence against those who carry (e.g. by SWATting).

In short, they advocate for violence.

1. avatar CBI says:

Well-said.
      “Pro-violence” is a good adjective; a noun is also needed. I think “disarmist” can fit that bill, since “pro-vilencer” sounds awkward. Depending on context “pro-violence disarmist” and “pro-violence person[/politician/activist/whateve]” can both work.

37. avatar 2hotel9 says:

If you just have to use some fake word go with disarmist. I think you are diluting the message by using words people will not get, just call them Anti-American and leave it at that.

38. avatar 2AMexican says:

Why is there a picture of a reptilian in this article? Seriously, that woman(?) looks like she belongs in the cast of V.

39. avatar RLC2 says:

Dean- disarmentor works better for me.

But I agree, we POTG and OFWG have too many acronyms and code words as it is…
    no need to create more bafflement for those lurking newbs who are too timid to ask for fear of ridicule.

Other than G23 is the one gun to rule them all, and .40S&W is the ideal home defense caliber.

40. avatar Pulatso says:

Jeremy Clarkson (of Top Gear) refers to the nannies trying to neuter motorsports in order to save Mother Gaia as “Eco-Mentalists”. Might I suggest then, the term “Hoplo-Mentalist”.

41. avatar GS650G says:

Feinstein looks like she eats small children. Seriously, all the beautiful women in CA and this is who they send to Congress?

1. avatar 2hotel9 says:

That would be because DiFi and Nanny Piglosi are all about killing babies. Just ask them.