Homeowner Successfully Disarms Home Invader Who’s Wounded in the Process

Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 8.08.22 AM

In a home invasion in Atlanta, a father protected his wife and children by successfully disarming of one of the invaders. That’s Jabari Sadler, above, demonstrating how he did it. You can see the bullet hole in the door. Multiple people were on separate floors of the three-level home when the four invaders broke the door down last weekend. It appears that only one home invader had a gun. He was left guarding the family on a lower floor while the three other invaders rushed upstairs and gathered TVs, cell phones, and other valuables . . .

A grandmother was hiding under a bed on the third floor with an infant, talking to 911 on a cell phone. As the invader with the gun started to pull down the wife’s clothing, the father and husband decided to act.

From wsbtv.com:

Jarabi Sadler said he was waiting for the right moment to attack the intruders. “While they were doing all that shuffling, I realized he wasn’t holding the gun firmly. He wasn’t holding it strong. So I was waiting for a time when I could attack,” Jarabi Sadler said.

Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 8.01.02 AM

As Sadler and the invader struggle over the gun, it was pointed at the invaders own leg, and fired. It must be hard to hold a gun properly and keep your attention focused on hostages while you are trying to disrobe a woman.

The bullet went through the invader’s leg and the bathroom door beyond.  The husband continued to control the gun hand while punching and kneeing the invader. At one point, the invader said, “Ok, I’ll go, I’ll go, just give me my gun!” He didn’t give the invader the gun, and the wounded man was able to make a temporary escape. The suspect who was shot has since been taken into custody. The police are still looking or the other three invaders.

The invader was lucky that the husband and father, Jarabi Sadler, didn’t just shoot him a few more times once he had control of the firearm. With three more invaders in the house and an ongoing struggle, he certainly would have been justified.

Sadler did a lot of things right. He kept his cool, assessed the situation, and took decisive action. It appears that the family didn’t have any weapons available at the time, other than hands and feet. Maybe that will change now.

©2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Gun Watch

comments

1. avatar neiowa says:

How about instituting a TTAG peoples choice award for such actions. And make a PR effort when award. Perhaps can find an ex Monsanto shill to assist.

Award to include gun equipment.

1. avatar Anotrher Robert says:

Antis will use this to “prove” guns aren’t particularly useful, self-defense wise. remember that idiot Colorado state senator going on about someone who defended himself with an ink pen? Kudos to the father for a successful defense, but it won’t cut any ice with the antis as far as gun rights go.

1. avatar Neil D says:

OMG ink pens should be outlawed. He was very lucky the other BGs did not have guns.

2. avatar Carry.45 says:

Atta boy, Jabri. But you shoulda had a gun. You live in Atlanta with a family to protect.

1. avatar Nick D says:

He has one now. Or are the police going to make him hand over his new trophy? That just wouldn’t be sporting. There really should be a law that you get first dibs on anything an intruder brings into your home. Why not? It’s not like they’re going to need it for much longer.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

I know it won’t happen, but it SHOULD be returned to the person it was stolen from, or did we think this thug bought it?

2. avatar Jody says:

How many people with guns carry them around inside their homes? I know I don’t. I’m glad it worked out for him, but he would have been better served by getting a Door Devil kit for his door.

3. avatar Joseph quixote says:

The guy kept his composure when quick thinking mattered. I think a handy revolver would have turned the tables before it got to the women and children. I hope that he sees what needs to happen and says his prayers of thankfulness.

4. avatar Hannibal says:

MDA would say…?

1. avatar Southern Cross says:

MDA would say this never happened. Nothing to see here. Move along.

1. avatar Anotrher Robert says:

No, MDA would say, “See, it’s perfectly possible to defend yourself without a gun, everybody should do the same.”

2. avatar Mark says:

“MDA would say…….?”

“…..See, you proved one of our doctrine points. We told you you’re more likely to get shot with your own gun if you own one…..”

1. avatar 2Alpha says:

true that. small print at the bottom though..

Disclaimer: When you invade someone else’s home and use the “killshot” stance while not paying attention. Results may vary.

5. avatar Tom W. says:

Family is family. Even in-laws. He kept his head right, seized the moment, and did what was necessary at that instant. A good 870 might have helped but a thousand differing scenarios can happen. Be a thug, get a slug. I hope he gimps for a long time.

6. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Have a toilet gun handy!

7. avatar LJM says:

Jabari is a baaaaaddd asssss!!

Good on ya mate!

8. avatar S.CROCK says:

This is why you should always home carry. Judging by what door the bullet went through, home carry is especially important while you are on your porcelain throne.

9. avatar former water walker says:

Good for him. Yeah get something. A gun, a machete , an ax, a baseball bat, a mace…I would have shot the a##wipe.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

I agree wholeheartedly. There were three more of them, I’d have shot him better, then sent the family with me out the door and gone to look for the rest. Old woman and baby upstairs? I’m looking for to get me some.

10. avatar Stinkeye says:

“Ok, I’ll go, I’ll go, just give me my gun!”

That right there is some hilarious shit.

1. avatar Call Security! says:

That it is. This is what happens when Mr. Bad Ass has the stunning realization that he is not as bad as he thought he was. He wanted a victim, not a fight! So then he wants to negotiate, but, being a malignant narcissist, he doesn’t really know how to do so in good faith.

11. avatar Nelson says:

The wife’s proud ‘look’ in the above photo says it all: ‘Yup. That’s MY man!’

good for them!

12. avatar FoRealz? says:

Good for him and his family.

I’m hoping he will get tooled up.

13. avatar Gunr says:

Maybe the wife should start home carrying, along with the husband! You just never know when somebody is going to ruin your day!

14. avatar Barstow Cowboy says:

Jabari Sadler? What the hell kind of name is Sadler? I know, it’s only funny when Ralph does it.

15. avatar Amok! says:

nice syntax

Im glad the gun knew to shoot the bad guy.

16. avatar Chip Bennett says:

MDA would use this incident to inflate their fraudulent stat that you’re more likely to kill someone with a gun in your own home than you are to use it for a DGU.

17. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Household firearms are great, especially home carried, but this family’s first problem was perimeter defense. Head down to the local big box home improvement store. Pick up door, frame, and hinge reinforcers, and use the supplied 3″ wood screws. Grab an ANSI grade 1 deadbolt, too.

For less than the cost of a used 9 millimeter handgun, and about an hour and a half of time, you can reinforce your front and back doors to prevent easy kick in, as happened in this case. You’re not going for Fort Knox impenetrability here, folks, just enough to keep the bad guys trying for a little while as you wake up and/or tool up.

Required tools: screwdriver and a standard drill. You already own these, but borrow from Bob next door or Mary across the street if you don’t.

Do this and it’s very unlikely you’ll have to go mano a mano with home invader thugs. But do have that 9 mil handy, just in case.

1. avatar Nick D says:

Also, while at the store, pick up a nice rose bush, or some hollies, or maybe even Spanish dagger plants. Anything nice and pointy to put right outside the windows. I prefer a nice rose bush just outside the bedroom window. Gives a nice view, a good smell, and nobody is going to try to crawl through a nest of thorns to try to get at my window.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Meh. Make it impossible to get through the doors, they’ll come for the keys next time you’re out. The first action indicated is to get a gun.