New from Taurus: Curve .380 ACP Pistol

the-all-new-taurus-curve

Back in June we noted Taurus’ patent filing for a body-contoured handgun. Taurus had begun flirting with a curve in their View ultra-small snubbie with its contoured grip designed to hug the body, contributing to its ultra-concealability. Now the reason for that patent filing has been revealed in the announcement of the new Taurus Curve .380 ACP pistol (MSRP $390) featuring a built-in belt clip along with frame-mounted LED headlights and laser. Taurus’s promo info after the jump . . .

The world’s first and only curved firearm engineered to fit the unique contours of your body, Taurus Curve™ is one ultra-comfortable, ultra-reliable personal defense handgun.

Your body has curves, so why aren’t pistols shaped to match? That’s precisely the question our engineering team challenged themselves to answer-and the results are unlike anything you’ve seen before. Introducing the Taurus Curve™, the world’s first and only curved firearm. Engineered to fit the unique contours of your body with no visible printing, the Curve is easily one of the most groundbreaking firearms ever conceived. An extreme departure from your typical compact .380, you’ll find the Curve takes form and function to an entirely unprecedented level. With its patented, snag-free design, the Curve boasts the industry’s first-ever light and laser built right into the frame. Exceptionally accurate and extremely lightweight at just 10.2 ounces, the Curve is one ultra-comfortable, ultra-reliable personal defense handgun.

First-ever LED light and laser built into frame
Smooth lines ensure no visible printing
Snag-free design
Bore-axis sighting system for instinctual shooting
Built-in holster-free belt clip
.380 ACP, 6+1 capacity
Lightweight 10.2 ounce subcompact pistol

comments

1. avatar Jake says:

Skyrim reference of the day!

1. avatar Noishkel says:

Ehh, I’ve always preferred Fallout. >,,>

1. avatar Allen says:

New Vegas, forever!

2. avatar TheBear says:

Fus Roh Dah > .380

1. avatar Ryan says:

.380 > Arrow (in the knee).

2. avatar Vhyrus says:

You see those concealed carriers from Brazil? They’ve got curved guns. Curved…. guns!

1. avatar Bigred2989 says:

I beat you to it (sorta).

2. avatar pun&gun says:

I love how gaming and firearms aren’t seen as mutually exclusive hobbies anymore.

1. avatar Nick D says:

Firearms: how most players solve problems in video games.

2. avatar Drewlssix says:

Well when both subjects are threatened with total eradication by agenda driven fear mongers spreading lies and playing off emotion they are bound to hook up.

1. avatar Allen says:

Weird. I like it.

1. avatar C says:

Weird and just a tiny bit dumb. I need one.

1. avatar TheBear says:

+1 I will be picking one up next year. I like the built in clip, lights, and laser for 400 bucks.

2. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yeah. Me too. Wonder what the trigger will be like…

1. avatar Allen says:

Brutal.

2. avatar Avid Reader says:

Curved.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Needs to be in 9mm…

3. avatar ShootingTheBull410 says:

Hopefully it will use the basic internals from the TCP… the TCP’s trigger is magnificent for such a small & inexpensive gun.

1. avatar Anonymous says:

I have a TCP. Although I like the TCP trigger pull, I didn’t like the design:

I still keep it for carry, but I would much prefer this issue didn’t exist in the first place.

4. avatar Simon says:

If the trigger is anything like their Taurus TCP in .380, then it’ll be amazing. To this day, it’s still the best pocket pistol trigger I’ve tried.

2. avatar gloomhound says:

Not sure what to think about this…..gun.

1. avatar DJ9 says:

I know what I think about it; it’s the same thickness as a Glock double-column 9mm, but it’s only a single-column 6-shot .380. It’s shorter and lighter than a Glock 9mm, but still a chunky little sucker. I’ll stick with the Glock.

Specs link:

1. avatar neiowa says:

Yes because if not a Glunk it’s not a Glunk and doesn’t come with Koolaid.

If you lay it flat on the table from the table top to the highest point will OBVIOUSLY be larger than if it was not curved. Its geometry. The point of design is that the piece IS CURVED. CROSS SECTION thickness might be relevant. Or not so much.

1. avatar DJ9 says:

Well, I used a Glock as an example because that’s what I have in the safe, but if it makes you feel less threatened, go ahead and use a S&W Shield or Beretta Nano or Walther PPS for comparison, because this thing is thicker than ANY of them. I saw no evidence that the measurement was taken including the curve of the frame, and if that’s the way the measurement for “thickness” (see link above) was taken, then the company and all its Marketing folks are amazingly stupid/ignorant and deserve the sales drubbing and widespread verbal abuse they are about to receive. Common sense says they would do everything they can to MINIMIZE the thickness measurement, so unless you have hard evidence to the contrary, I think it’s safe to assume they didn’t include the curve of the frame in the “thickness” measurement.

My point still stands; thicker, fewer shots, and in a smaller/less-powerful caliber = fail.

3. avatar Bigred2989 says:

“Bore-axis sighting system for instinctual shooting”

Is that a fancy way of saying “We didn’t include sights, just use the laser” or “Good luck hitting anything”.

1. avatar Allen says:

New age belly gun?

2. avatar Anonymous says:

Yea I thought it was ridiculous they didn’t include any sights. I kind of liked it up until that point. They could have at least added some TCP style sights.

4. avatar Anmut says:

I hate it. Now where can I buy one for twice the MSRP??

1. avatar Allen says:

Me too!

2. avatar General Zod says:

Cheaper Than Dirt should have them at an eye watering markup before long…

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

For the buy it now price of $1,200.99.
        Shipping and handling are only $74.99, if you enter the secret code, otherwise, S&H is $99.99.

3. avatar Ed says:

Massachusetts is a sure bet for twice MSRP.

5. avatar Vhyrus says:

I hope they made some that curve the other way or they just locked out every lefty on the planet.

1. avatar Drewlssix says:

The rest of the planet dose not care about your ‘kind’ just pray we continue to tolerate you.

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

Careful… we can reload AKs way faster than you…

1. avatar Texheim says:

Winning right there

2. avatar JasonM says:

It’s for righties? Oh…I though they just curved the grip out from the body so we elite 11% could draw it more easily.

3. avatar philthegardner says:

Oh yeah, it’s curved for the righties. I’d be interested too, if they taurus only realized we ARE a market segment…

1. avatar Winston Smith says:

First thing I thought was “where’s the reverse for me”?

Moving along to something else…

1. avatar Xanderbach says:

There is a left hander model coming out soon after, as well as a cheaper one without the laser and light. Hope they remember to put sights on that one…

2. avatar I_Like_Pie says:

Left handed shooters are recommended to shoot the pistol upside down using the pinky as the trigger finger.

4. avatar Barstow Cowboy says:

Just put it in your pocket upside down.

5. avatar Sdt says:

The man who laid the groundwork down for Taurus is left handed.i know him personally. I believe Taurus promised him a left handed model!

6. avatar Noishkel says:

Hmm… not a big fan of .380. But it might make for a good backup. If the price was right.

7. avatar Joel says:

Somebody’s TCP is all bent out of shape….

8. avatar Smoke Jensen says:

Um…
    What’s the saggy pants crowd gonna do with this thing?
    Just sayin’.

1. avatar Phil COV says:

I’m sure it’ll still fire when held sideways.

9. avatar TxGal says:

Taurus into weird, ugly guns? Women have curves, men don’t, guns should not. And for the most part, we don’t do weird or ugly

1. avatar Craig says:

I’d hate to say it, but the average American man does have “curves”, however most prefer to call them beer bellies, guts, or love handles.

I think this is a sign that as a country, it’s time to loose some weight.

2. avatar neiowa says:

So you’re mad they made a handgun for gals? Nothing says has to be tucked into your “yoga” pants. Pick a alternative curved region.

10. avatar Sammy says:

Oh my, how will I ever conceal a micro gun that doesn’t curve?? Wo’s me.

Hey Taurus, how about making your current guns suck less instead of playing with this BS?

11. avatar jwm says:

I’m gonna wait for the round contoured model. The one designed for Keister carry. No worries at all about printing and you can walk right thru any metal detectors.

Just don’t break wind.

12. avatar Scott says:

Shutup and take my money!!!!

13. avatar actionphysicalman says:

I told my frienemies about this to see how it goes for them. One never knows… at least I don’t.

14. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

can it curve the shot like in the movie wanted?…if so sign me up

15. avatar Skylor says:

Trigger is everything. If it’s good, I’m game.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Hopefully the innards are descended from the TCP, which has a very good trigger (for a DAO, polymer micro pistol, that is).

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

I came this close to buying a TCP a few months back. What stopped me was the trigger. Not the pull, the reset. The TCP has two clicks when you let off the trigger. If you only get to the first click before firing again you will short stroke the trigger and have a dead gun. Not exactly a good situation for self defense. If they ever made it a true DAO with the second strike capability they love to talk about I would jump on one. As it is now, no way.

2. avatar JasonM says:

It’s a Taurus. The trigger isn’t really a concern. All you have to do is give it a quick shake, and it will fire.

16. avatar Sock Monkey says:

This looks like a fairly small model. If they’re going to build a curved gun, why not start with a larger one? If it’s actually more comfortable and conceable, then prove it by making a full-sized or mid-sized gun more comfortable and conceable.

17. avatar Nelson says:

now only if they could make it no go off, on its own:

If you got Hari Kiri urges, fine, but one would have to be lobotomized to willfully want to carry and depend your life on a manufacturer with this much design issues.

1. avatar Anonymous says:

That’s a completely different gun and different design. But ok.

1. avatar Nelson says:

Dear Taurus PR rep trolling:

Anonymous says:
        November 19, 2014 at 09:49

That’s a completely different gun and different design. But ok.

except for the fact that it’s designed, manufactured, marketed, by the same people who also designed, manufactured, marketed by the same people. But ok.

Only if saying “ok” in an unfit sarc. denial delusion would hold as an actual rebuttal to a company with no history of QC. But ok.

Considering the quality of non-rebuttal, rebuttal, think the world can see the gravity of the concern, that in the real world, all you got is reputation. And, if you’ve soled shitty products before, and are still selling shitty products, it’s a good genius chance that people aren’t gonna gravitate toward that company’s products.

Lest you actually think an Audi and Indian Tatas are to be compared in parity.

But ok.

xD

1. avatar Drewlssix says:

Ha ha “soled”. Besides, you can’t name a single mainstream manufacturer without a string of duds so why give Taurus grief while sparing the rest? The excellent M&P line is made by the same lunks that sold us the Sigma. Guess those must be junk right?

2. avatar centerline says:

“Lest you actually think an Audi and Indian Tatas are to be compared in parity.”

Wait… you know Tata owns Jaguar and Land Rover, right?

18. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Well… if you draw it you’d better be ready to use it. At best your BG is going to mistake it for a taser. Definitely not an intimidating look.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

If you draw any gun, you’d better be prepared to use it. Bluffing is for card games.

1. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Bluffing is fine if you’re ready for your bluff to be called. The majority of self defense gun uses don’t require a shot to be fired because most bad guys have enough sense to run away when you point a .357 magnum or a 1911 at them. The bad guy’s libel to think you’re pointing your cell phone at him and now you’re going to have to shoot him because he’s going to try and grab it out of your hands and since you’re shooting him with a .380 you’re going to need all 7 rounds. Now your going to be spending the entire night down at the police station explaining why you shot an unarmed man who thought he was steeling your cell phone.

1. avatar Drewlssix says:

If he thinks it’s a phone why is he taking it from you? Also, when pointed at you it looks like a gun.

19. avatar former water walker says:

Sorta’ cool. Hey I had a TCP that ran great. I do think having lights and a laser you can’t remove is meh. Look at the S&W Bodyguard. I wouldn’t buy the original design. Now I would. If you want to add one later ok…

20. I have read so many articles or reviews regarding the blogger lovers but this paragraph is genuinely a good post, keep it up.

21. avatar barnbwt says:

Wouldn’t it make even more sense to just make the gun narrower (the ‘curve’ is just dead space) and have extra room for a curved panel-sided holster to break up the profile?

1. avatar Hannibal says:

With the clip it should be able to be worn securely without a holster iwb.

2. avatar Drewlssix says:

My response was going to be something like “duh! The magazine is going to be curved also so as to make the most use of the space in the grip area!!!” Luckily I checked google images and saved my self the shame.

22. avatar Doug Rowan says:

Hey, finally a gun that comes with a magazine AND a clip. 😉

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

THERE we go.
      Doug wins today.

23. avatar Hannibal says:

Wow. I think it’s kind of goofy and maybe overfeatured, but I’m glad to see something different. Aside from the Rhino I haven’t seen much different in the handgun world lately.

I hope they charge $15 more and make sure the bugs are out of the thing.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Yeah, I’m kind of on the fence on this particular design, but props to Taurus for coming up with some original stuff.

24. avatar DangerDave says:

$390? I am monitoring this pistol..

25. avatar Mark E.B. says:

I think whether or not it turns out to be that good I certainly applaud them for trying something new. I love innovation.

26. avatar Independent George says:

This looks like a solution in search of a problem.

1. avatar Drewlssix says:

Welcome to the real world where people don’t simply produce what is asked for but what they believe in. You wouldn’t be posting here otherwise.

27. avatar Jay in Florida says:

How you gonna grab that thing tucked on your belt??
    Drop your drawers and then grab it??

1. avatar Mark N. says:

Probably the same way you remove your EDC knife with a clip from your pocket.

1. avatar Drewlssix says:

Makes me think about the opening line for every “only on TV!” Ad ever. Where they attempt to make the simplest task seem difficult.

28. avatar Bob says:

Looks like a cool idea. Waiting for a full review.

I’d also like to see it in a larger caliber. 9mm is the smallest caliber I will carry for a self-defense firearm. YMMV.

1. avatar Independent George says:

Not to get into another caliber war, but, as seen on TTAG…

Lehigh Defense .380 ACP Extreme Penetrator

29. avatar Harker Goody says:

How many staples can it hold?

30. avatar TheOtherDavid says:

I have a Ruger LCP but have always been intrigued by the Taurus TCP.

TCP owners…is it THAT hard to conceal that you would need to have a bendy-straw version? It’s a neat marketing ploy for low-info first time pistol purchasers, and perhaps they are trying to tap into the new young and female market for a “slimline” version, but from a practical perspective I don’t know how making my LCP curvy would in any way enhance concealability

1. avatar smead says:

I changed from an LCP to a TCP last year because I really preferred the TCP’s trigger. Happy with it so far, and concealability and dimensions are about the same, though the LCP’s got rounder/smoother corners. If this has the basic feel of the TCP with the light, laser, clip, and smoother edges, it could be very appealing… if I weren’t a lefty.

Taurus has been making some good strides.

2. avatar ShootingTheBull410 says:

My hope is that my wife will like the look & feel of this enough…

… that I can finally get my TCP back…

31. avatar Bigfoot of Borg says:

I kind of like it. And it doesn’t seem unreasonably expensive. I may have to pick one up.

32. avatar Leighton says:

The TCP is already the size of a wallet. But with the extra features and probably the same awesome TCP trigger, it sounds like winner at that price point. My TCP is perfectly reliable and surprisingly accurate. I wouldn’t be scared of this one.

33. avatar Steve in RI says:

I have some older problem-free Taurus pistols (mostly revolvers) as well as a PT92 in stainless and .45 – they have all worked well for me. A little over a year ago I picked up a Sig P238 w/factory laser for $499 from my LGS. For $109 more I would go with the Sig in this case. Still pretty cool though – nice to see something different on the market.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Keep in mind, that $390 is MSRP. After the initial rush of sales to the “gotta have it now” people, I’d expect the actual retail price of this gun to end up much closer to $300. The stainless slide TCP has an MSRP of $355, but you can buy them all day for $270.

That’s not to say the P238 isn’t worth every penny of that $499, but the price difference between these two guns will likely end up closer to $200.

34. avatar Kevin A. says:

Whoo, I’m left handed…

35. avatar Barstow Cowboy says:

This is perfect, because if you pull it out to defend yourself from a mugger he’ll assume you’re giving him your phone.

36. avatar SdubM45 says:

I can’t imagine that thing is comfortable to shoot. And they couldn’t come up with some sort of manual sights? Trench? Guttersnipe? Hell, a shotgun bead? What are you supposed to do if the battery for the laser dies/goes t*ts up? What if you have to(and most likely will due to it being a .380) do the Mozambique drill? They put sights on guns(and on the top) for a reason.

1. avatar Another Robert says:

Point shooting. It’s what you are going to do with a pocket pistol at close range in a big hurry anyway.

37. avatar Tim U says:

Straighten it back out and we will talk. The light/laser is kind of interesting but the whole curvy business makes no sense to me.

38. avatar John L. says:

From the picture, I’d have thought this was an Apple iGun someone left in their pocket for too long…

1. avatar ShootingTheBull410 says:

Actual spit-take… well done, John L.

39. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I would be highly interested in a slightly larger and heavier (say 16 ounce) version without the integral LED lights and laser. An extra inch of barrel and grip would do wonders for the somewhat anemic .380 ACP cartridge.

40. avatar Mark says:

Before I cast judgement, I’ll wait for the photo of this tucked into Jessie’s waist band.

41. avatar Shire-man says:

If it were as thin as the TCP while being curved I’d be interested. But it’s a third of an inch thicker than the TCP so even with the curve it’s a thicker gun with no capacity advantage.

42. avatar Wiregrass says:

It’s the latest in concealment! Just make it look like a stapler.

43. avatar Mmmtacos says:

“…the Curve is easily one of the most groundbreaking firearms ever conceived.”

Colt, Browning, Pedersen, Stoner and now the guy at the board meeting at Taurus that thought of this. Truly a breakthrough design in firearms.

/sarc

44. avatar Texheim says:

I’ll wait for a C or D model. and that’s coming from a guy that owns 5+ taurus guns with out issue. I don’t early adopt anything.

45. avatar Deadeye says:

Are batteries included?

46. avatar boardsnbikes says:

Is a pre-paid shipping label for warranty service included?

47. avatar Swarf says:

More like behind the curve.

48. avatar 2heavyb says:

Research and development is fine but if your QC is still letting crap out the door then why bother?

49. avatar Chip Bennett says:

Initial thoughts:

1. That’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen
    2. Ostensibly, one carries a 380 concealed – but how the heck do you conceal *that* monstrosity?
    3. It seems about as practical as that stupid see-through revolver they introduced earlier this year

50. avatar Don from CT says:

Well, its clear the Internets hates this gun.

i think its brilliant. Time will tell if its executed properly. My only concern is that they advocate holsterless carry. I’m not sure what would prevent the trigger from being pulled if the gun is poked the wrong way.

Don

51. avatar preston says:

i literally LOL’d at the sight of this gun.

52. avatar Swarf says:

So, question for those with more engineering cred than me: wouldn’t a bullet’s flight path and stability be affected by leaving the chamber through a barrel end that isn’t square?

The cutback on that barrel looks to me like keyhole city. Unless maybe they don’t rifle that last 1/4″ at the bottom end of the barrel. Which would create other problems.

Any opinions?

1. avatar Wiregrass says:

I was wondering the same thing. At first I thought maybe it was just the slide that was curved with a normally crowned barrel recessed inside but that doesn’t look to be the case. Maybe it’s counter bored like my old Mosin Nagant to effectively give it a uniform crown.

1. avatar DJ9 says:

I hadn’t noticed that until you folks mentioned it, but it looks quite differently in the images at the link I posted in response to gloomhound’s post, up near the top of the comments, dated/timed November 18, 2014 at 21:14.

Find that link in that response, go to the page, and look at any of the angled frontal view photos, and in those, the end of the barrel looks to be a normal 90-degree crown, but it is deeply recessed into the curved slide opening. I think someone in the Marketing department got ahold of those early-release images, and they made them as curved and swoopy as they could.

1. avatar DJ9 says:

…and right after I say that I thought the images of the curved crown might just be marketing, I go to another site and see a video that shows one of these pistols actually being fired, and guess what? It has the curved crown. I wonder which will be the norm for production pistols. Link to site with video:

2. avatar DJ9 says:

Here are links to two of the photos; I put them in a separate post because sometimes putting links in posts can cause them to end up in the Moderation queue. Try these links for a different view:

2. avatar bontai Joe says:

I have the same question as that was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. My whole shooting life, I’ve been told that any nick or scratch at the muzzle would affect accuracy, and this thing’s muzzle is all kinds of discombobulated……. I suppose that at bad breath range, it wouldn’t matter much and with no sights, and that short of a barrel, long range shooting sure isn’t on the agenda I guess.

53. avatar John D. says:

It needs a ‘shot cam’.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Cripes! Don’t give ’em any ideas!

54. avatar Taz says:

If the caliber doesn’t start with a 4 and end with a 5 I’m not carrying it for a primary defense weapon. 9mm is okay for a back up, .380 is good only if your name is Bond, James Bond.

The solution is a small frame 1911 for the summer, a Commander frame 1911 for the spring and fall, and a full size 1911 for the winter. You can adjust your clothing with the seasons to conceal them all.

Your backup piece can be a Sig P938 which for all intents and purposes is a mini 1911 that shoots 9mm. And yes I know that a .380 and a 9mm are the same caliber but the extra powder in the 9mm makes a big difference. But it’s still just a backup.

55. avatar J says:

Where do I buy curved ammo for this thing?

56. avatar RLC2 says:

Well at least its not another boring brick like Glock clone. My G23 fits nicely at small of back with a clipdraw. But if I were to add a combo laser/light not so much, and its already just heavy enough I dont feel comfortable relying on it to stay in place in any dynamic situation. But this does look fun…just because its got to be fitted to GF…

I’m waiting for the under bra model in 38dd to accessorize with attached GF.

Hey, a guy can dream right?

57. avatar TJ says:

Probably like every Taurus semi auto, long pull

58. avatar Tim says:

I think the funniest part is the way the website describes drawing the weapon. You tie the holster to your belt and it comes out WITH THE FIREARM and then you pull it off and fire. Brilliant.