What’s Wrong With This Picture? – Halloween Edition

1973918_589407741186494_4128129449781239611_o

It’s mid October, the season when every little rugrat’s thoughts turn to visions of bite-sized Snickers and Twix bars. How will yours be dressing up this year for his or her door-to-door trek? As a ghost? It’s been done to death. Spiderman? Yawn. A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle? Again? This year ISIS executioner seems to be a topical option. Of course, in addition to the blade, your miniature fundamentalist will need to be equipped with something that goes bang, too. It’s hard to cobble together a caliphate by only lopping off heads . . .

So while you’re shopping, you’ll want to watch out for mis-labeled rifles made in countries where no one other than the ruling party’s allowed to touch anything with a trigger. Of course, maybe your kid stays up on the news and knows that carrying an AR would actually be ballistically correct.    [h/t DrVino]

comments

1. avatar Jeff says:

Good grief! Everyone in the world knows that is an AK-15A1.5 Kalishnastone! How could they get that wrong . . .

1. avatar Todd S says:

Are you sure it isn’t an AR-47?

1. avatar Malcolm says:

At least you can both agree that it’s one of those dangerous semi-automatic assault weapons

2. avatar bradt says:

It’s a 5.67 millimetre calibre ark-75!

1. avatar Jim says:

With a huge clip capable of firing 30 rounds per second!

2. avatar BigDinVT says:

…and it has the…wait for it…”shoulder thing that goes up”!

3. avatar Joe R. says:

It’s a football-bat, but at least it has a side-charging handle and “action sound”.

4. avatar DJ9 says:

Todd S says: “Are you sure it isn’t an AR-47?”

Yeah, the magazine well is all wrong for an AR-47.

The AR-47 is a model number of a real (non-military) rifle/carbine.
        Google it up and check it out (click the “Images” tab).

2. avatar Jim in San Antonio says:

AK-47 – Check

Machine Gun – Check

I don’t see anything wrong. Looks like they got their information from the mainstream press.

3. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

Looks like they even sell 10-rd and 30-rd versions.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Now that is funny. I didn’t notice the long curved magazine on the left edge of the photo until I read your comment.

4. avatar Taco Picasso says:

Problem is that all guns look gray in the dark. Hard to ID as a toy in dim light, can’t see those bright colors.

5. avatar Cameron S. says:

That’s clearly a Famas chambered in .22-Eargensplittenloudenboomer. The Chinese toy factories need to do their homework.

6. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

if you can’t see the oooop’s then you are either a United States senator or with the MDA

1. avatar Taylor TX says:

or journalists

1. avatar Tomyironmane says:

Hey, they’re selling plastic ghost guns that you can’t see in metal detectors and there are rubber bullets a couple isles over, DON’T YOU DARE QUESTION ME!!

7. avatar Roscoe says:

Chinese rendition of DeLeon’s “Ghost” guns painted up in bright fluorescent colors so they can be seen on Halloween.

8. avatar Menger40 says:

They’re all the same, right? No one will notice.

Two of my non-gun co-workers thought “Glock” was a generic term for black handguns. I bet lots of people think “AK” is the generic term for scary-looking rifle.

1. avatar J O E says:

That is interesting to hear. I wish there were a larger survey going on nationwide to show people’s ignorance to firearms where such supid misconceptions like this taint their views and deem their beliefs skewed.

1. avatar Scott P says:

They had a post here a few months back about a poll that asked non gun people what an “assault weapon” was. The list was huge and covered in stupid.

9. avatar Ducky says:

That’s clearly a plastic fantastic glock in new halloween colors!

10. avatar Shire-man says:

I’m curious if the one to the left is labeled “AR-15”. The mag looks AKish.

1. avatar Paul G. says:

Looking at the top of the one on the left, it too is labeled ak-47. That one is the import version, the one we see is the domestic ak.

2. avatar D. Clark says:

The mag and the grip look AK. But you can just see the number 7 at the top so I’m guessing they took their cue from MSM and just labeled all scary guns as AK47.

11. avatar Taylor TX says:

But look at that cool side charging handle!

1. avatar Rambeast says:

Hehe, that’s the first thing I was drawn to.

12. avatar Lurker_Of_Lurkiness says:

Reminds me of yesterday at tractor supply in the toy aisle (why do they even have one?)

“Bolt action semiautomatic”

???????

Obviously, the toy company’s technical adviser is Cal. State Sen. Kevin De Loon (D).

14. avatar Tsn4 says:

You would think the Chinese would know the difference…

15. avatar Whiskey Punisher says:

Looks like a Glock to me.

16. avatar Lucas D. says:

Huh. I didn’t know MSNBC was in the toy market.

17. avatar Model66 says:

Do you think the “action sounds” go PEW PEW PEW or KA-BOOM like an explosion?

1. avatar Phil COV says:

It’s probably a recording of the president stuttering.
      “Uh uh uh, ya ya know, you didn’t build that.”

18. avatar NinjaTED says:

Count your mislabeled blessings. Here in NYS they can’t sell those, or any toy guns, that even vaguely look like real guns. I can’t even get a pirate pistol for my costume this year. Thank god Albany is keeping me safe from molded plastic flintlocks.

1. avatar Phil COV says:

Yeah me too. I’m just gonna have to dress as an adult again.
      (jokes!)

19. avatar Defens says:

Don’t be fooled! Those are real guns, painted up in Duracote using Lauer’s “Bloomberg” collection paints! We were warned this would happen!

Of course, the hoplophobes will be frightened by kids playing with toy guns – but completely nonplussed by the fact that their obese little cherubs are out there cramming their Hansel und Gretl maws full of sugary non-foods! Which is the worst killer – plastic toys or high-fructose Gummi Bears?

20. avatar Taylor in Tn says:

If it weren’t for Ebola, none of this would have happened…at least folks like us know better.

21. avatar former water walker says:

In the insane world we live in I wouldn’t send my rugrats out with this on hellaween.

22. avatar Steve says:

Tell you what’s wrong with that picture, that rifle appears to have a fixed mag. Thats some BS right there!

1. avatar S.CROCK says:

But it doesn’t have a 30 round assault clipazine so maybe I can get one here in ca.

1. avatar Phil COV says:

hehehe, clipazine. I love it!

23. avatar Rick the Bear says:

That looks so real. I’m sooooo scared (and scarred). Morons at work. 8~)

24. avatar Rikoshay says:

Found at Target in he school supply section.

25. avatar Tim says:

Reminds me of one of my favorite stories about my younger brother. He was 6 or 7, and I walked by his room, and saw him Scotch taping a piece of baler twine to his (camouflage painted, orange safety tip Sharpied out) toy M-16. He had the twine attached to the stock with a ball of tape as big as his hand, and was working very hard on the front.

I asked him, “T…. What are you doing?”

“Oh, I’m putting a sling on my gun.” … tape … tape … tape

Fair enough… We’re not rich, and can’t afford a nice leather sling for a toy gun.

“That’s a good idea. But, T…. Why don’t you just *tie it on*?”

… he looks at me like I’m nuts, looks at the gun and I can see the light come on.

“Oh… I never thought of that!”

Happy Friday!

26. avatar Nagurski says:

Seeing as it doesn’t have a forward assist, that means its a classic M16 and not an M16A1. Therefore it should have a 3 prong flash suppressor instead of the birdcage.

1. avatar 2hotel9 says:

Hahahahahahahaha. Wish I had hit that one!

27. avatar 2hotel9 says:

Whats wrong with this picture!?!?! Those colours clash horribly! How gauche. Clearly an item available to the lower castes.

1. avatar Phil COV says:

But 55% of it is invisible to zombies!

28. avatar Phil COV says:

How do you load the 0.9mm 30 bullet magazine clip without the thingy that goes up and down?

(Jokes)

29. avatar Phil COV says:

Be careful walking around the Walmarts with this.

30. avatar ryan s says:

I’d buy one on the off chance it’s worth something when we look back at this idiotic period in history. Leave it in the packaging.

31. avatar Broken 3ight says:

This should have been the caption contest.

32. avatar Mark Lloyd says:

You all missed the point. It doesn’t matter. When the little boys say “I want that”, it won’t make any difference if it’s a Kalishnastone or an AR-47. What matters is that it has recognizable features. It’s like a toy car that looks like a Ford or Chevy, but it has a Mercedes Grill. As adults, we all do it, we gravitate towards traditional looking products, because we like it. It’s familiar and familiarity is comfortable.

33. avatar Rusty Chains says:

The last time I took my daughter trick or treating she dressed up as a cowgirl complete with a realistic looking kid size revolver (cap gun). Her dad carried a much larger pair of Bisley Vaqueros we both got several complements on the costumes until one woman out with her daughter asked where I got such realistic looking guns. When I told her the gun store (thought she was gonna mess her costume), but instead she just nodded her head.This was in Kennesaw, GA after all, and a couple of decades ago.

34. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Most likely, you guys are just over thinking it. It’s not some marketing conspiracy and it’s probably not even firearms ignorance. I’d bet it’s just a matter of the guy in charge of purchasing packaging materials did his level best to gauge demand for the two rifle styles and their associated packaging; but as actual toy store orders came in, there was an inevitable error in the demand forecast. They didn’t want to get stuck with an overstock of rifle-specific packaging post-Halloween surge; assuming they could even get more delivered in time to produce, package and ship the toys to the stores in time, anyway.

So they probably just molded what their customers had ordered, packaged them in what backings they already had, and said “Screw it, who’s even going to notice?” Or, some guy on the production line forgot to swap out packaging when they changed the toy mold and upon discovery (if even discovered) said “Screw it……….”

35. avatar Joseph B. Campbell says:

M-16 model toy marked as an AK-47. Love the colors! Even a moron can tell it is a toy!!!