Jose Canseco Shoots Himself While Cleaning His Gun

jose_canseco_605_ap

More frequently known for shooting himself in the foot, former major leaguer Jose Canseco went for a change of pace this afternoon by shooting himself in the hand while cleaning a firearm, nbcnews.com reports. “’It was a serious hand injury,’ Las Vegas Metro Police Lt. Mark Reddon said of the 2:30 p.m. accident in northeast Las Vegas, which damaged one of the fingers on Canseco’s left hand.” NBC’s story portrays Lt. Reddon as taking a nothing-to-see-here approach, indicating that, “There was nothing suspicious. There was no alcohol involved, just a misstep with a handgun.” No biggie. No word yet as to whether or not the handgun in question had been chemically enhanced in any way.

comments

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I thought steroids caused one to shoot blanks…hmmm

1. avatar Bigred2989 says:

*rimshot*

2. avatar Jay-El says:

I guess this is one time when Canseco wasn’t safe at home.

Thanks, I’m here all week. Remember your bartenders and waitresses.

3. avatar Nate says:

His hand has a 2-2 count now.

2. avatar Frank Masotti says:

You would have thought he would have learned from the first time. Guess some people just don’t learn.

1. avatar SD3 says:

He was CLEANING it!…(his c@ck, that is)…

3. avatar brentonadams says:

Has the gun been arrested yet?

4. avatar Fed Up says:

Is he bored with retirement and angling for a job as a Pennsylvania state police weapons instructor?

5. avatar JeffR says:

Cue the small penis jokes.

1. avatar ropingdown says:

It’s usually the testicles that are subject to atrophy when taking steroids, no?

1. avatar JeffR says:

Fair point, Roping.

6. avatar racer88 says:

And, on the other side of the country… on the same day…

State police spokesman Lt. Michael Baylous tells media outlets that one round discharged as the trooper was cleaning the gun. The trooper was shot in the hand or wrist area.

7. avatar Mark Lloyd says:

No excuse. How do you shoot yourself in the hand if your hand is not in front of a loaded firearm and he pulled the trigger.

1. How do you not unload it? That is the question. As a new gun owner and an owner of that evil GLOCK, for the life of me I can’t understand the failure to unload a gun!

1. avatar Nick D says:

Step 1: Remove Magazine
        Step 2: Rack Slide
        Step 3: Pull Trigger

Do not, under any circumstances, do these out of order!

1. avatar TommyinKY says:

You skipped: 2.5 Inspect chamber, bolt face and magazine well.

2. Step 1: Remove Magazine
          Step 2: Rack Slide twice and lock it open
          Step 3: Tactile check that the chamber is empty. Run a bore snake through it or a pipe cleaner if you have to.
          Step 4: Close slide and point gun is safe direction
          Step 5: Pull Trigger

Absolutely impossible to fire this weapon under these circumstances.

2. avatar Roscoe says:

The phrase “Stupid is as stupid does” comes to mind.

Was he never taught how to handle a firearm? He was cleaning it, so he should have been, or else educated himself about safe handling. More fodder for the antis’ propaganda stream.

How anyone handling a firearm can be that stupid amazes me. Does he have elitist, impervious, above it all tendancies, or is he really just reckless and fickle around dangerous …tools?

Heaven forbid someone hands him a chain saw.

8. avatar Ed Miller says:

I thought he was a prohibited person, with all his convictions, especially the one involving domestic violence…

9. avatar Maineuh says:

I guess I’ll never understand how this happens until it happens to me. Which it won’t, I’m pretty sure. I mean, man! How much of a rush are you in that you can’t check and then recheck?

10. avatar Jon says:

Who the hell cleans their guns, anyway?

1. avatar SD3 says:

Exactly.

11. avatar Scrubula says:

This sounds like a ‘boating accident’ to me.
    I think he was just screwing around with a loaded handgun and shot himself.

1. avatar Don Quixote says:

Exactly. Every time somebody accidentally shoots themself, it happens while they were “cleaning their gun.” Yeah right. This is the second time this happens to this idiot. First he shot his foot, now he manages to shoot his hand.

1. avatar Don Quixote says:

Next time he’s going to hit his neighbor, or is going to kill himself.

2. I thought “shooting himself in the foot” was a figure of speech. I did not take it to mean another negligent discharge.

1. avatar Don Quixote says:

Yeah, I f-up…but at least it wasn’t with a gun 😀

12. avatar Bob101 says:

My God, how in the world do these people do it? It is not that hard for anyone who is not an absolute idiot to clear the gun before cleaning it.

1. avatar Karl Kani says:

I couldn’t agree more. If you’re not sure check again, it’s really really simple. It Takes literally a second to ensure your day/week/life isn’t ruined.

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

He was sure. He was just wrong.

2. avatar DaveL says:

I wouldn’t dignify it by accepting their claim they were cleaning it. Even in the case of the notorious Glock ND, omitting the unload and ‘check clear’ steps leaves you with:

Step 1: pull the trigger.

That’s it. He picked it up and pulled the trigger. There’s nothing left in that sequence of events that says “cleaning”.

13. avatar Paul53 says:

Representatives for the gun, meanwhile, have announced they are happy to accept nomination for the hall of fame. However they have declined the Darwin award.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

He isn’t dead.

Therefore, NO DARWIN AWARD.

14. avatar Hello World says:

I am still curious on how you clean a loaded gun? Whenever I clean the barrels and action, I’ve never had it loaded. Do they wipe down the grip? I still don’t get it.

1. avatar Matt G says:

Exactly. Kind of hard to brush and swab the chamber if the if the slide is closed with a round in battery. Can’t imagine it being efficient that way.

15. avatar Justin says:

I had a Hi-Point .40 discharge after I set it in my lap. Thankfully all I got was powder burns on my pants and a holy window. There was nothing near the trigger. We later found that the firing pin would slip.

16. avatar Paul53 says:

You freeze Hoppe’s oil and fire it through your dirty barrel.

17. avatar Lars says:

Who cleans their firearm while loaded? Who are these people and why are they allowed to have firearms? I started shooting at 10 or so with relatives and I am 40 something now. Myself, friends, family or anyone I have ever shot or hunted with has never had a accidental discharge when cleaning firearms. I just don’t get it.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

It’s simple, really. It’s called LYING. We all know the first part of cleaning a gun is making sure it’s clear, and the second part is disassembly. Guns cannot be fired while they’re being cleaned. However, they can be fired while being played with by moronic owners.

But no one ever told the cops, “Yeah, I was playing with my gun like a douchebag and it went off.” They lie and say they were cleaning it, and the idiots in the media (and TTAG?) make it a headline without calling B.S.

18. avatar Jeremy S says:

It’s times like this when I’m glad I’m not a celebrity. Mess up in the privacy of your own home and it’s national news. That sucks.

19. avatar publius2 says:

sounds like a typical “cleaning the glock” ND.

hers the right way:

1. avatar Scott says:

Funny how I now feel an overwhelming desire to “clean my gun”, IYKWIM

2. avatar Mr Pierogie says:

She should use a better lubricant.

20. avatar Dano says:

Given Jose’s domestic violence convictions, isn’t he a prohibited person?

1. avatar doesky2 says:

Laws are only for the masses not the “special” people with “special” friends in special places.

Obama fulfilled one promise…..he created a political environment that “fundamentally transformed” the United States into a banana republic.

21. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

Glock strikes again!

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

1) There’s nothing in the news story indicating it was a Glock.
      2) These “gun went off while cleaning” fabrications happen often, with all makes and models.

If you believe Canseco’s story, and assume it was a Glock, and blame the gun for the ND, then you’re just as naive and gullible as the typical hoplophobe.

22. avatar mike says:

The strikeout king blows it again.

23. avatar jwm says:

I think I’m gonna line my dishwasher with kevlar before I clean another gun.

24. avatar Jim says:

He once had a fly ball bounce off his head and over the fence for a home run. Maybe this was a factor.

25. avatar Stinkeye says:

Would it violate the site’s “no flaming” policy to say that Canseco is, and always has been, an idiot? It is just a simple statement of fact, after all.

26. avatar former water walker says:

I heard a report Jose might lose his middle finger. A finger he might need after his drug use 🙂

27. avatar Joseph says:

I don’t know, am I just plain stupid, but who actually cleans a loaded weapon.

28. avatar Skyler says:

I’m told he may lose his left middle finger. The real tragedy is that his vocabulary is now reduced by 50%.

How fortunate that Jose’s hand wasn’t scratching his @ss at the time.

30. avatar jwm says:

When I look at that picture I hear, “Yo, Adrian.”