MSNBC Poll: 80% of Respondents Say Kroger Shoppers Should be “Allowed to Carry Handguns”

(courtesy msnbc.com)

Online polls are about as scientific as astrology. Especially ones posted on partisan websites like msnbc.com. Especially ones posted on partisan websites in the middle of an article that betray a strong bias. And yet a poll posted within the article Moms Demand Action goes after supermarket chain Kroger with ads yields a surprising result. As of 11:49 am CMT, 80 percent of 18k respondents clicked “Yes, it’s a Constitutional right” when asked “Should shoppers be allowed to carry handguns in Kroger.” [In case you’re wondering the poll prevents multiple replies from the same IP address.] If they’d asked “Should shoppers be allowed to open carry assault rifles in Kroger?” the number may have been reversed. Anyway, it just goes to show . . . something. Something good for gun rights. Feel free to add your vote, while you still can. [h/t CS]

comments

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Up to 81% when I just now voted!

1. avatar sigmon says:

just added my yes to KROGERS Poll

ADD THIS POLL to your voting
      Should children be allowed to learn to shoot guns under adult supervision?
      OODAloop says:
      September 5, 2014 at 19:39

So if y’all are up for polls, on the CNN site

current standings 6pm pdt fri

Should children be allowed to learn to shoot guns under adult supervision?
      No 50% 857
      Yes 50% 845
      Total votes: 1702
      This is not a scientific poll

1. avatar Nick says:

Voted for it but now 51% against, 49% for at 0153 EDT

2. avatar Kevin L says:

Done. I bet we can get it up to 90%! Get out the vote guys!

1. avatar JasonM says:

We need Chuck Norris to do a campaign about voting in this poll.

1. avatar Mike in NC says:

Nah, if Chuck Norris gets involved the poll will instantly go to 110% for carry and the Antis might suspect something is up.

2. avatar JJVP says:

Now at 83% Yes. My vote made it to exactly 23,000 votes.

When I go to Kroger’s, I take the gun and leave the cannoli.

1. avatar Another Robert says:

LOL!! One of my favorite lines from anywhere. And I understand it was ad-libbed.

4. avatar Joe R. says:

Kings used to be crowned by the Bishop/Cardinal/or Pope, to attach their Authority to God.

Your authority is already attached to GOD, you don’t need a poll, nor MSNBCyoulater, nor. . .

Kroger can take your freedom away, but not your Liberty (earned freedom). You have to carefully consider your financial (or other) support for someone [something] that would do that.

5. avatar Craig says:

I still don’t know what a Kroger is nor have I seen one.

1. avatar Scrubula says:

Grocery store. MDA has been harping on them for accepting state firearm laws as their store policy (something almost every chain does)

2. avatar JasonM says:

You’ve probably seen one of their subsidiaries.

I was going to copy the list from the link here, but damn, they have a lot of them.

The good news is that Kroger’s gun-friendly corporate policy should apply to Fry’s, Fred Meyer, QFC, etc., not just stores with a Kroger logo out front.

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Fred Meyer sells guns in some stores. Of course the ones near my parents didnt.

2. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Jay-C food stores.

6. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Maybe now, just maybe, people will start to believe me when I keep harping that WE ARE WINNING!

I know the situation sucks in Hawaii, Coastal California, Cook County (Illinois), New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Connecticut (okay, maybe Rhode Island as well). The situation is totally different in the entire rest of the nation.

Let’s keep building on this momentum!

7. avatar Tt78 says:

Pro-gun boards get wind of a poll and all the members vote. This is why it’s not scientific 😉

1. avatar Misnomer says:

And the anti-gun boards and groups are free to do the same (and I am certain they are already).

You know, except for the ones that can’t read. This also prevents them from understanding such things as the constitution.

1. avatar Fred says:

That’s right. Grass roots easily beats Astroturf in these polls.

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

They’re also the people who don’t have computers. Because there’s this Pr0n stuff on the Interwebz that might infect them.

2. avatar Mike_M says:

A poll isn’t supposed to be scientific. It’s an opportunity for people to register their opinion. There’s no science involved.

8. avatar Frank Masotti says:

This go’s against the PMSNBC stand on firearms. I am surprised they allowed it to stay up.

9. avatar former water walker says:

I’d vote if there was a Kroger anywhere near me.
    I’m not surprised by the poll either. We are winning. Even in Cook County,Illinois. Maybe I’ll see some of you in Riverdale Illinois tomorrow. Right now we are having a SEVERE thunderstorm. Flooding to follow…

1. avatar sigmon says:

You SHOULD VOTE On PRINCIPLE Regardless of them being in you area. It COULD BE a store in your area next.

STAND UP (POLL UP) and BE COUNTED! ! !

10. avatar Jay in Florida says:

Its now 81%……………………
    They, Moms just don’t get it.
    Stay out of a Businesses business.
    Post a poll and you takes your chances.
    Im sure this wont be published anywhere the public will see it.
    While Im all for Open Carry since we don’t have it here in Florida,
    Holstered handguns yes, rifles not really. Unless ones actually going some place where its use is accepted universally.
    I know its a contradiction. But too many people are frightened the more one sees open carry of long arms.
    My opinion only but if your not inclined to accept open carry as “Normal” seeing more of it wont change most anti folks minds

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Most antis have the “Gunz eevil” idea firmly lodged between two brain cells, and they’ll take that to their grave.

11. avatar Dave357 says:

So, hopefully, if Kroger gets pushed agains the wall on this, they will act differently from Starbucks and Target, and won’t issue a statement asking not to carry any guns in their stores, but only not to carry long guns in their stores. It is important at least for the open carry of handguns to continue to be normalized.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

It could be viewed as cheap market research by Kroger.

12. avatar DonS says:

The MSNBC poll only allows a choice between two responses:
    Should Kroger shoppers be allowed to carry handguns?

* Yes, it is a constitutional right.
    * No, it is a threat to public safety.

The correct answer is “None of the above. It should be up to Kroger, and Kroger alone”.

13. avatar Bobby McKellar says:

I bet those fat, hairy, liberal “mom’s” are just stewing in their own sweat looking at those numbers! That’s ok by me, I love seeing ’em eat a big ol’ shit burger as often as possible!

1. avatar Misnomer says:

They are just continuing in their denial saying “Hijacked” and blaming all those “gun boards.” So I wonder which reason they would give as to why their groups can’t do the same:

– Not organized enough?
      – Don’t care enough?
      – Too few of them?

One good thing about these polls is that, though unscientific, they are less susceptible to an overzealous minority drowning out the majority than general media coverage.

14. avatar Jus Bill says:

81% pro; 20k responding as of just now.

15. avatar OODAloop says:

So if y’all are up for polls, on the CNN site (http://edition.cnn.com/?refresh=1) there’s one in the lower right-hand corner asking “Should children be allowed to learn to shoot guns under adult supervision?” It’s currently 50%/50%, so go tip the scales…

1. avatar Excedrine says:

About 12 votes apart for Yes/No. Still 50/50 at this time (and with my vote).

16. avatar Excedrine says:

21,000+ votes and counting, with an 82% vote in our favor. Suck it, MSNBC.

17. avatar publius2 says:

Done. 82% and 3/4 comments in general discussion are pro-carry. Even the progressive groups have people saying its common sense, gun free zones are target zones, etc.

Kind of interesting- have to look at the survey focus but if its among MSNBC viewers then its a remarkable indicator of general opinion shifting towards 2A rights, vs MDA gun – grabbers.

18. avatar Maineuh says:

Hilaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarious.

19. avatar Grindstone says:

What a waste of time. Why does anyone even bother with a web poll anymore? It literally measure nothing more than who is better at manipulating scripts.

1. avatar JR_in_NC says:

I’ll bet you refuse to tell your children about Santa Claus, too.

An image of Leonard Hofstadter’s Mom springs to mind.

2. avatar ThomasR says:

Sounds more like sour grapes to me Grindstone.

What scripts to manipulate? Pretty easy yes/no question

Do you support the carrying of a weapon in a public place? Yes or no.

1. avatar M Collins says:

“Now, 83% says yes. And we are not talking about a gun web site, we are talking “mainstream” ie, liberal progressive news site you can get.”

Sampling bias.

If you don’t think the votes on this poll aren’t being significantly skewed by people on websites like this, online gun forums, etc., linking to it. then I have some swampland in Florida I’d be interested in selling you.

Is the average American as anti-gun as the mainstream media would have you believe? Of course not. I’d argue that the people who are seriously motivated and active in restricting gun rights are a rather small, but very powerful and well funded minority. That said, throw up this poll on a huge website of like-minded gun owners like AR15.com, and you’ll skew a poll like this overnight. There’s FAR more active online communities dedicated to firearms and shooting then there are online communities where people are sitting around discussing how to restrict gun rights.

20. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

83% now

1. avatar John L. says:

+1 (vote)

21. avatar Aaron says:

83% now.

Suck it, beyotches!

22. avatar DerryM says:

Just added my vote. Still at 83%, so add yours to push it higher.

23. avatar McMicyMc says:

It’s at 84% now. It may not be scientific but it does seem that the anti gun groups can’t get the vote out unlike the pro gun forces. Politicians may want to think about that.

24. avatar Javenis Mydaus says:

Uo to 85%

25. avatar Blacque Jacques Shellacque says:

About Robert Farago

In that picture, isn’t that Max Reebo holding that pistol?…

26. avatar Jim Owen says:

Last time I checked it was 87%

27. avatar Neil D says:

Up to 87% now. And yes, it will always depend on how the question is asked. Probably those in favor of open carry in most states would be much lower or may even go the other way. But, I am happy with this poll for now. Hoorah!