Jerry Miculek Mucks Around with Earplugs

Smith & Wesson performance shooter Jerry Miculek has plenty of guns, plenty of ammunition and plenty of Lose-ee-anna charm. So when the living legend caught wind that a reporter in Ferguson, Missouri mistook discarded foam earplugs for rubber bullets, Jerry decided why yes, they are! With a little modification. Entertaining as it is, the resulting video doesn’t prove much any reasonably knowledgeable shooter doesn’t already know. But it does leave me wondering if the Divine Mr. M knows the 10cc song Rubber Bullets or how the band got its name. I bet he’d get a kick out of that. [h/t VVV]

comments

1. avatar Colt Magnum says:

How 10cc got their name? Careful now, this a family-friendly website.

2. avatar Gary in GA says:

Jerry can make watching paint dry interesting!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

I have done exactly that with .44 mag.

Those cylindrical yellow E.A.R. brand earplugs pressed in flush to the case mouth fired primer only.

I used it to shoot flies on my back porch and it worked very well.

Ruger Super Redhawk 7 inch barrel.

3. avatar Stinkeye says:

When I saw the headline, I figured it would be something more like Jerry shooting the earplugs out of someone’s ears from 300 yards with a rusty RG .22 revolver held upside down and shot over his shoulder using a funhouse mirror…

4. avatar Jack says:

Now I know where all the ammo went in 2013: Jerry’s workshop.

5. avatar Duzt says:

his “unicorn guns” series is just awesome. the stoner video especially.

6. avatar danthemann5 says:

Back during my nuclear power days, when we were out at sea and extremely bored, we made a foam earplug “gun” out of some tubing and a valve. We fired it be connecting it to the ship’s service air (400 psi maybe?) and opening the valve.

The outer foam of the earplug melted from the heat of friction, and the impact left sizable bruises and welts on clothing covered skin (of course we shot at each other).

7. avatar LarryinTX says:

Back in the day, I used to go through the reloading process (.357 Mag) right up to powder, then instead of loading powder, I pressed the case through a plate of paraffin like you buy in the grocery store, I think it’s for canning, preserves, something like that. Anyhow, about 1/2 inch thick or a trifle more, looked like a wadcutter, worked so good it was ridiculous. Made a little “pop”, I set up a target in the corner of my living room. Unfortunately, even with just a primer it was denting the drywall so I had to quit. Picking up a few hundred little bits of wax got old, too.

1. avatar John says:

I’d have to say, that just creates an opening for thinking about other (more biodegradable) things than wax. Bread maybe? My dogs would love cleaning that up afterwards.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

I believe the primer combustion residue is toxic.

1. Lead Styphnate is often one of the ingredients in primer compounds. Not a good thing to be eating.

10cc doesn’t mean what you think it means.

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

OK, that says what it’s not – is there a site anywhere that says what it is? (I’d assumed something to do with drugs, but can’t think of anything you’d take or buy 10 CC of.)

9. avatar JJVP says:

DemolitionRanch on YouTube did something similar, but he used a shot gun.

1. avatar Paelorian says:

TWANGnBANG demonstrates that foam earplugs can be quite practical as practice projectiles in this recent video. (I don’t know the code to embed video in the comments here).

1. avatar JJVP says:

Just copy the link to the video and paste it here.

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

Be sure and append ‘?autoplay=0’ at the end of the URL.

10. avatar Former Water Walker says:

So Don Lemon could have been right?!?

11. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

I was concerned the earplug would just melt completely and instantly and coat the inside of the barrel with a residue, rather than fire like an intact projectile..

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Not on my yellow earplugs in the .44 mag.

The yellow had a bit of a gray soot look but never fuzed to the bore. You might want to periodically run an oiled bore mop through it. Try one. I’d be very interested in hearing your results.

Primer only.

12. avatar Frank Masotti says:

This shows the problem with the “news media”. No one in their right mind would have looked at those ear plugs and thought they were bullets. Like always someone trying to makes a “news” story where there is not any.

13. avatar HazMattX says:

I think he could have taken it to the top by subtly using .40’s as ear plugs. Can anyone confirm? 😀

14. avatar IdahoPete says:

Why do I suffer from “reloading room envy” every time I see Jerry’s videos? Man, I would like to have 10% of his stock!