BREAKING: TrackingPoint Re-Writes History

Students of history with gunspertise will enjoy this one: TrackingPoint’s video imagining how the battle for the Alamo would’ve gone if the Texans had been equipped with a brace of their “fire and forget” semi-automatics. (OFWGs will remember the Saturday Night Live sketch where Napoleon rode along with Dan Akroyd in a B-52 bomber.) The thing about it is, technological advantages never last long on the battlefield. The enemy either finds an effective counter-measure or, as is the case with ISIS and native Americans, eventually gets its hands on the superior weapon(s) for itself. So the question is, what would have happened after Santa Anna’s troops had been decimated by the TrackingPoint rifles? Well, for the spoilsports amongst us.

comments

1. avatar Sergio in NC says:

Starting at only $9995, OK where’s my check book?

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

Yeah sign me up for two or three, heck.

2. avatar Frank Masotti says:

If I had a spare $10K laying around I would go for it. A last I do not. 🙁

3. avatar Hannibal says:

The problem with the Alamo defense was that they were outnumbered 10:1. If they needed an innovation in firearms it would have been a belt-fed machinegun, not some fancy tracking point.

1. avatar JoshtheViking says:

Perhaps a few of these?

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

Only while waiting on the Phalanx delivery.

1. avatar JoshtheViking says:

+1 on the Phalanx

2. avatar John says:

Dang, that’s a lot of brass to pick up!

2. avatar General Zod says:

Oh, I dunno…if Santa Anna and his officers started dropping like flies hundreds of yards from the Alamo, I think it might’ve sapped the Mexican Army’s motivation and organization rather quickly.

3. avatar J Star says:

You do realize that it was 1836. You could have given the defenders bolt action rifles with 5 round box magazines and they would have outmatched Santa Anna.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Making the idea of tracking point all the more silly.

4. avatar esitue says:

white capitalist meat eating imperialist running dogs 🙂
    Go TX!

5. avatar John Galt says:

Please stop the overuse of the “BREAKING” headline.

1. avatar Aono says:

Forget overuse – how about retiring this crap-baiting all caps crap altogether? To abuse another anachronistic term: “Newsflash:” Everything on the internet is BREAKING, all the time, forever, again, still. Amirite?

1. avatar Chris in KY says:

Or to put it in the words of TTAG’s Facebook post, “BREAKING: Again. Still.”

The only thing breaking about this article is the laughter when they watch that video.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

I guess you guys don’t do irony.

2. avatar Stinkeye says:

RF, it might be more recognizable as irony if you didn’t use it un-ironically on lots of stories where it’s plainly not urgent, “breaking” news.

6. avatar ConnorMN says:

Great Trigger and muzzle discipline in this video.

1. avatar KJQ says:

Yup. Ruined an already lame video for me too.

7. avatar TT says:

I just went to Tracking Point’s website. It’s a pretty heavy duty POS. If they’re trying to sell $10,000 rifles, they might want to at least make sure their first page links work. I still can’t figure out exactly what these rifles supposedly do other than empty your pockets.

8. avatar T M says:

Guns of the [Texans], a new novel coming soon from Harry Turtledove.

9. avatar Leadbelly says:

Check out a novel by Harry Turtledove called Guns Of The South. It’s about a group of South African white supremacists who invent time travel, and return to the Confederacy with tons of AK-47s. Fun read, as are all of his “alternative history” stories.

1. avatar Mike says:

There is a similar book I read a long time ago called Remember the Alamo by Kevin Randle and Robert Cornett where a group of modern mercenaries go back in time to defend the Alamo. Pretty good book

10. avatar GuntotinDem says:

“They should have took the tank”- battle of little big horn.

1. avatar Tom says:

Custer could have taken Gatling guns with him on his march, but decided to leave them behind. Whether it would have made a difference in the outcome is debatable. Certainly the Sioux would have taken far more casualties.

2. avatar jwm says:

Twilight Zone did that episode.

11. avatar Colt Magnum says:

“Don’t do irony?” As a matter of fact, I irony anytime my pants are wrinkled.

1. avatar Kelly in GA says:

Booooooooooo

12. avatar great unknown says:

With Bowie and Crockett there, as well as many other frontiersmen, they didn’t need trackpoints. What they needed was semi-automatic rifles [they were too great craftsmen of marksmanship to use a select fire] and sufficient ammunition.

1. avatar Jim Barrett says:

Yep, $20,000 would have bought a hell of a lot of plain jane ARs. I’m thinking 25 or so of those would have been a lot more effective than 2.

13. avatar Tommy Knocker says:

Oh Geeze…how do I get those 3 minutes of my life back?

Twilight Zone – The 7th Is Made Up Of Phantoms

Star Trek – The Omega Glory

14. avatar El Mac says:

OFWGs. Again. Still. Tomorrow. More. Again. Still. Yet again. More still.

Yawn.

Camel. Again. Still. Tomorrow. More. Again. Still. Yet again. More still.

Blahhhhhhrg.

1. avatar El Mac says:

No sheeyat Ralphie. I feel your pain.

15. avatar Chris says:

Poor trigger discipline!

16. avatar crzapy says:

I feel dumber for having watched that. At a price tag of 10k a rifle they could have paid for a better commercial.

1. avatar Jim Barrett says:

You are of course assuming that anyone’s plunked down $10K for one yet.

All kidding aside, Thefirearmblog had a good writeup on these last week. They really are all they are cracked up to be. Had one inexperienced person nailing moving targets at 850 yards. Once the production line winds up and the cost drops to something closer to $5K – $7.5K, these things are going to revolutionize military sniper work.

The down side is that an optical scope with no battery required is always going to be more reliable in the long term. One thing I have not heard is whether you can still fire the gun if the batteries die or the tracking point scope takes a hit.

17. avatar jwm says:

The modern rifle would have outranged the Mexican”s artillery. The Mexicans would have had to move their troops so far back to get out of range that they could not have effectively laid siege to the Alamo. The Texians would have been free to come and go as they saw fit. If the Mexican troops had concentrated they would have taken unacceptable losses.

The big question in the alternate history uverse is would the leadership in the Alamo have been capable of exploiting their advantage? Judging by the mistakes they made at the real Alamo I would say, no.

18. avatar big blue says:

So TrackingPoint is so stupid as to think it’d be more sensible to outfit 2 guys with their weapons vice 30 guys with AR15s.

I realize it’s tongue in cheek, but geez at least do it well. Feels like watching a bad skit from the blue collar comedy tour.

19. avatar Phil COV says:

I LOVE the end where Texas spreads across North America!

1. avatar jwm says:

Texians had their moment. The Republic of Texas. And they blew it.

20. avatar Pencotron says:

I don’t know what I’m laughing at more – “Merry Christmas Santa Ana” or the guy doin a helmet mag check without a helmet.